Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

With each year my hunger for another EDF growns.

Is there any EDF game in the Xbox?, I saw EDF 2025. That looks great, but is like EDF4 that I have played to death.

Any game like EDF?

Most of all, I want to call a airstrike 25 stadiums large and laught maniacally while the sky turns red and the entire horizont is a line of fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Psion posted:

well this is good timing, seeing this thread.

Just started playing EDF5 after grabbing it last steam sale and it absolutely rules. I'm loving air raider because calling in airstrikes is the best. I'm pretty solid on ranger as well, I learned about shotguns early, but I gotta admit, wing diver and fencer weapons are making me go ???

so if anyone has some favorite weapons for those classes, please post your faves. Right now my wing diver go-tos are phalanx, plasma big cannon and/or a dragoon lance? or something? and gleipnir when I feel like being silly. For fencer, jackhammer/dexter and then ??? in slots 3/4. mobility for fencer is killing me, despite a lot of mashing dashjump. Gallic cannons and the dispersal mortar haven't clicked yet but they feel like they COULD be awesome.

Air Raider good weapons:

- The APC is super cheap, and gives the mobility that you initially lack. Plus a good weapon!.
- Star Rain or whatever are called, is a cheap AOE attack you can aim. Very spamable.
- The laser and canon attackis that are point of damage attacks. You use this one to attack a single enemy, duh.
- Carpet bombing are numerous and of many times, so is hard to say one in particular. The bigger the better.
- The Giant Walking robot.
- The turrets are all good. The rocket launcher is great. On the End Game stuff theres laser turrets, but I never unlocked one of these. With turrets are problem can be friendly fire.
- The default weapon the AR gets is a weird gun that shot explosive flechetes, but if you get a version with good range, a large mag... is a really good weapon!, it gets used to the way it works, since is not just firing, but firing some rounds, then detonate.

Wing diver good weapons:

- Lots of good homing weapons...
- That ball that hovers and shot ups, with the shots going back to ground.
- The biggest motherfucker sniper rifle you can get ( monster?), even if using it turns your wing driver into a static turret. But you can climb to the top of a skyscraper to deal damage for 20 secods or so.
- Some weapons have homing + tagging + rapid fire and low energy requirements. You can test many combinations until you find one that deals good damage, withouth drying your reserves, and shooting many targets at the same time.
- Wing diver also have explosive plasma like weapons that are great, but kinda hard to shot, has the AOE damage is large and the are medium distance weapons, is easy to kill yourself.

Ranger:
- Rocket launchers, fast and good punch
- Missiles with multiple heads, lock on!, the best stuff in the game, perhaps
- Shotguns and snipers, I guess.

I don't know enough about the fender. Have a verity of good weapons, rockets launchers, missiles, vulcan. Other than being walking tanks. Are walking tanks. High survavility too and high movility with the glitch to move superfast around.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i choose to believe that all of this time has been spent eking out every miniscule bit of pc performance so there can be more bugs on screen.

Sure there'll be plenty of bugs in the PC version

The duality of men

Orvin posted:

About time. Hopefully it’s roughly the same time for PC and PlayStation. This way I can just buy it once on PC, instead of initially on PS, then again on PC a year later.

/edit:

No date yet, but there is a steam page.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2291060/EARTH_DEFENSE_FORCE/

I just added it to my wishlist so the algorithm graciously unblinking eye show the game to more people

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

This Weapon can Eradicate Everything, Including Gods!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I joined the EDF fanbase with EDF 4.1 so never saw the older games. Played on the PS4.

I tried today Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon on PC, that I think is a older game. Maybe?

Is interesting because the graphics are more integrated. The graphic experience is more coherent. Instead of linear texture smoothing, the textures seems render in nearest mipmap, and feels more detailed and the geometry more complex.. Is probably the other way around, but since is not linear texture filtering, more details are visible.

A lot of stuff that where kinda weird but I took for granted in EDF 4, are more logical here. Like the difference between health boxes and armor boxes. Here in EDF:IA the health box is small and he weapons caches have a different model, more complex and bigger. It makes more sense!

Also the intro actually have more through put into it, with a scene where we are the gunman guy from a chopper, until it lands to continue the operation with boots on the ground.

Is also visible the parts where EDF4 is a upgrade. If I remember correctly the air raider can carry much more weapons (or thats how I remember it) and they got rid of the reloading minigame (that I hate).

Is kinda like Insect Armageddon is playing the game more straight, and EDF4 took the idea to new height but also embraced the absurd.

Sandepande posted:

Never done multiplayer on EDF, it's much better without random morons (including me).

I always play coop games with randoms.

In EDF is very random. Sometimes you are testing a new weapons that you are not really versed. And you become a vile person that ruin everyone fun and you end the mission embarased of yourself and feeling you must personally apologize every EDF player.

Other missions you are everyone hero.

And other missions is pure magic, such a mission where 3 air raiders combine their powers and paint the entire sky red forever deleting the top north of the map in a string of fireworks to a level not seen previusly by human eyes.

And in other games you play with literal god players that you feel are carrying you to victory by pure skill or OP suff.

But is more good games than bad games. And yea, some of the bad games is because people like me.

Tei fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 16, 2023

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

*put ons armchair general hat*

Turrets are good at giving some omni defense around the air raider, but are easily flooded by a big wave.

Stairfail attacks are in the sweet spot to be cheap, shot cooldown, large area... to be spammed endleslly.

Sometimes you just want a direct attack force, against some walking frogs that you just want death just now. That would be a canon, or one of the better lasers.

But large air attacks can get you instantly through half the enemy forces. Then if all you have is a APC. You can run and gun.

If you really want to make a point, you equip at least one super unpractical weapon that is also epic has hell. Hopefully the other 2 guys pick some usefull weapons so you can shot a missile fat than the Apollo 11 rocket.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I played Iron Rain so long ago that I forgot most of it. But I think I remember that it gets better.

Theres some unique missions, and weapons. It was not enough to be has good a mainline EDF game, but defended his existence.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

wow its pretty cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssD_CVQfj0c

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

I expected it to be bad, being a mech builder with taped on gameplay. The reviews are destroying the game and there are few options and three resolution settings not including 1440p.

I think we just wanted hordes of robots, even if the combat was bad. And a wide variety of weapons to fullfill that archwizard trope. Instead (from the videos) it looks like the enemies don't do much or anything at all, and come in small numbers.

Meh.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

is not too bad, we can still play Helldivers 2, that is like tiny air raider

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyRmxjhYrmw

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Played WB, did not hated it, did not loved it, ...is small scale with childish/toy graphics. It does not have the epicness of the large scale battles of EDF.
With the low scale of the battles there where also the limit set of weapons, and so on.

I may skip WB2, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I am a huge fan of the missiles vehicle.

Being able to target half he map of enemies, and send death they way from the other side of the map