Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The best part early on is unloading the 14-stock grenade launcher downrange, sending clouds of ants skyward and buildings crumbling left and right. If they don't show something like that off in a review, well, clearly EDF isn't for them. Too ingrained with other shooters' tropes to bother experimenting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Mr Phillby posted:

Yeah seriously, leave hard mode for after you run through normal. Cranking up the difficulty on an easier stage for better weapon drops is perfectly acceptable though.

I've been working through my first run as Ranger on Hard. I've only had to drop back to an earlier level and crank it up to Inferno once I hit mission 40 because I didn't have the firepower or armour to control that loving river. I had a lucky drop with the minigun machinegun :black101: and I could basically hose my way through afterward.

The Inferno Geyser and the lower leveled similar grenade launcher are hilarious to unleash in the earlier missions. Doubly so if you manage to stick it to an ant. Triply so when you start shooting it's corpse while it's still going. Quadruply if you're playing with unknowing friends, you pull it out and then start shooting the corpse after them.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Zero Star posted:

AKA, "jesus poo poo, I just threw my artillery marker at my feet instead of my vehicle marker, everybody run".

You can get the same sort of effect on Ranger. "Oh poo poo I stickied an ant with a lava geyser and now his corpse is wobbling this way, everybody run."

"I've carpeted the ground in front of me with a wave of sticky grenades. Nobody move!"

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Normal bees lull you into a false sense of security. They can't track worth beans in Normal and in Hard so long as you can keep moving you should be fine from the bulk of their attack. It's as soon as you're surrounded and they're focusing on you that all of a sudden your HP is dropping rapidly and your way keeps getting obscured by the stingers. There's a mission where you're attacking a river that'll show you the dangers of BEES.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

To be more specific, when you spawn cross the ankle deep water until you reach the road, turn left and continue until the road dips downward. It's sort of handy because there are two panels in the first stage on the way that you can take out.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

With some side ventures into the mid-range lasers like the Reflectron Laser D.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

LibbyM posted:

Thanks for the advice/video. That Javelin Cataput certainly looks like it will make things a lot more manageable when I unlock it, hope that's soonish.

I just love how high level play subverts the normal expectations of the class. Fencer is in this heavy armoured suit and should be a slow, tanky unit and the video shows them basically pirouetting through the hills like a figure skater.

Side note, when I was playing with a buddy locally we had no idea what to expect from the Javelin Catapult. It was the end of the night, last mission, he mounts two of them and we go to clear out some early nest mission. He starts firing and arcs a stream of literally dumbfire javelins absolutely nowhere near the ants. We couldn't stop laughing because in order to aim them on ground targets his viewpoint was looking down at the ground barely ten feet away from him. I had to provide my viewpoint to spot for him and watch a shower of metal pin everything down.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

The easier modes might fill in your weapons with the lower level sets but yah, they generally won't be particularly useful to you. Maybe find an easy map to farm weapons at an even higher difficulty if you're feel like you're hitting a wall.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Modest Mao posted:

the screaming stops after a few levels because implicitly all the civilians are dead

You're doing things wrong if there is no screaming. Fill the void with your chanting and battle cries!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Past Raijin the Thunder Sniper 6 is where the sniper line starts being reasonably statted. It's energy usage is okay enough to fire off maybe 4-5 shots from a full battery, enough to take a fair chunk out of transport ships and will bring down any enemy that isn't a ship, a mech or a boss in Hard with one shot. Have another weapon with capacity on switch (Idunn-E or Reflectron) and you've got a loadout that can handle any general threat at all ranges.

Their particle cannons are goofy as all get out, though. Feels like I'm playing Contra.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah, particle cannons are godawful when you're flying; it'll only hit if you're flying/falling directly toward the target. Otherwise you're just spraying and praying it's doing something. Best in crowds but at anything except at extreme close range it's awful for single targets.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Rangers get the bog standard missile launchers and grenades. Like their weapon set, they make average explosions.
Fencers get larger missile launchers and access to even BIGGER missiles if they have an air raider friend to spot them a target. They make big explosions.
Wing Divers get plasma explosions that are wildly variable in their power and usefulness. Geist is the most hilarious slow moving bomb ever. They make pretty explosions.
Air Raiders get their buddies from the navy and airforce to lend them the BIGGEST missiles out there. And they can call in for vehicles built specifically around shooting large missiles at targets. They make catastrophes. :getin:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Alteisen posted:

I do but there's like a billion of them and they destroy me.

Sounds like mission 11. And yeah, do that one in normal, hoover up all the weapon/armour drops and move on to the other missions. After a handful more you can go back to it on Hard and you shouldn't be nearly as overwhelmed due to experience playing the game and having more HP and damage. It's the first "farming" mission of EDF 4.1, although the weapon levels available are on the low side; good to start Hard on the various classes but you'll want to hit up other missions for a better selection.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

That's Normal (and Easy!) for you. At most you will weapons of up to level 3 fifteen missions in. If you want stronger weapons you need to be playing in Hard; then you're up to level 26. And you should be able to swing back to previous missions with that amount of progress in Normal; especially once you've got a stronger weapon from dabbling in Hard.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Needs More Jazz posted:

So I'm on Mission 45, the first one with the Deroys, and I'm getting wrecked. Even on Normal. I'm playing Air Raider, and I can usually make it to the last wave before getting overwhelmed. Is there some strategy I'm loving up, or is this one of those "Suck it up and switch to a different class/farm more armor" situations?

With Deroys you never want them to be close to you otherwise they're going to be slicing away your Armour with their rapid fire lasers on their legs. It seems like a DPS race as the waves appear to be regular so you want to be have near zero remaining on the current wave. The wide roads that you start on and heading on to the right are perfect for any tracked weapons you pack with Air Raiders, allowing you to continue moving past Deroy's plasma bombardment while concentrating fire on the center core. I'd also give Turrets a chance as there's a problematic drop behind your starting point in the middle of dense buildings as well as the really close drop to the close to the right. If you have long range Limpets of respectable power you might want to try that too.

Always be moving if they're closing on your position, concentrate fire on the closest as that one is the most dangerous.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Double the armour, same amount of weapons. Who picks up the weapon crates determines what class they go to. And no real downside and could even serve as a backup if you somehow shoot yourself in the foot and they're still standing.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

That or any ragdolling. My coop buddy plays fencer and the usual cartwheeling death from point-blank explosions results in him banging against a broken wall and finishing up slouched over like some tired veteran of an ugly war.

Whereas my best moment was faceplanting as a wing diver into the most compromising position. :blush:

Last night he and I finished up the main campaign run entirely through on Hard. Those last few missions required a lot of restarts and working out strategies to handle those loving laser-happy fliers. They rip me up something fierce if I don't have laser-catchers in the form of NPC squadmates. Onwards to the DLC stuff or run through it again with the other two classes.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It's about a 45 degree angle from forward that will allow you to roll instead of jump. It's a bit tricky to get used to but eventually you'll find that analog sweet spot.

Also crank up the turn rate in Options, the default is rather low and it makes a world of difference when you're a stompy Fencer and less so for the others. As for tips as Fencer, learn how to shield-reflect cancel your dashes so your mobility increases by a magnitude. There's an even further advanced technique using the Javelin single shot weapon but I wouldn't worry about that in Hard and below difficulties.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

That's probably the first spike in difficulty, especially after your NPC crew all die off and their only target is you. Relax your difficulty level, progress to the beach stage (you'll know it once you've reached it) and bump it back up to reap better weapon rewards. Thus equipped (as well as increased Armour from playing normally!) you should be able to handle Mission 11 no problem.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Eh, switch in a Thunder Sniper D (the 6 and the 40 burn too much energy per recharge or their beams scatter too much for single high health targets) for reaching out and swatting at something from a great distance. It'll do fine work on Hard difficulty and you can get it relatively early via farming Beach Landing or whatever they call the mission with Hectors storming the beach from first mothership landfall.

Rangers don't have any Sniper weapons with that sort of range at that weapon level, leaving the single-shot Stringer J2 to out-damage the D at a decent range of 800m and having to wait for weapon level 45 to reach the Lysander 2 to considerably out-damage it at 1000 range. Their rockets fare much, much better here with both the Cascade 2 and the Goriasu D2 giving you a choice of fast fire-rate or single-shot damage at 3000m.

Once you're in Inferno, though, Wingdivers are better served with rapiers and bowguns so they can use their extreme mobility to avoid damage against their relatively fragile HP.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Uh. Thunder Snipers don't have clips. Not sure anything in the Sniper line has a clip, actually! The MX has a recharge time separate from your own but it's single shot, IIRC.

Were you thinking Thunder Bows instead?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

fritz posted:

The thunder sniper 40 (or whatever the version number) is the best underground weapon in the game bar none.

For at range, yeah. But the Eclat LIM beats it in terms of DPS for basically any showdown in the underground. The scattering on that is a very pretty spiral effect and it just purees anything in the cramped areas efficiently.

I'll admit to giggling like a school girl when I got to use it. :3:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

This is the correct way of Wing Diving. Carry on, valkyrie of the sky!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Alternatively, if you were lucky you picked up the second mission pack for free!

Good times were had for most of those missions. Like being bombarded by NPC airstrikes the entire time. Or fighting a nest that's spawning the DLC versions of ants, spiders as well as the usual wasps.

Shame the last mission of it was a poor rehash of the last main mission, except with a lower Earth Eater height and no NPC support. You don't know this is a rehash until the fourth wave finally spawns the Overmind, which could be a problem because you were outfitted for close-combat. My coop buddy was a Fencer so his guns could reach, thankfully, so when we bumped down the difficulty from Hard it was a matter of me (Wing Diver) clearing out the skies of the purple prisms while he swept the ground clear until he had space enough to take shots at the crown.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

The Gigantes line and the tracked rail gun are going to be your bread and butter ground vehicles for much of the surface missions. The helicopters are...there and are basically useless because their controls are clunky as gently caress (caveat until you get the ones with the auto-turrets, in which case you're essentially invulnerable to anything on the ground). The walky bots are a fun diversion, even the ones meant to be controlled by a four-person team. The motor bikes are hilariously awful to control.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Filthy Monkey posted:

Holy hell. Trying to do mission 11 on hard, and they just throw so many drat ships at you. Even double fisting those 6-lock rocket launchers, I can't keep the numbers down.

Alternatively, crank down the difficulty and come back to it later when you have shinier weapons. It's also the first proper farming mission for weapons. :eng101:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

InfinityComplex posted:

So playing on Hard right from the very start because I want the fun weapons, I found that skating around like an rear end in a top hat as a fencer hammering poo poo to death is AWESOME.

I also started collecting weapons for the Wing Diver on hard and holy poo poo I just came across the Death Blossom grenade and Lightning Shotgun.

The Special wing diver weapons are glorious light raves in a ball. Absolutely terrible for anything on the surface (partly because for whatever reason throwing it is so different than throwing a plasma grenade! Also partly that it's range is rather poor) and I guess somewhat decent in the underground tunnels. They get more and more esoteric the further along the weapon level you go. They're fun.

Lightning shotgun, nothing, just wait until you pick up a laser CHAINSAW. It's effective even past in-your-face range!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Nah, Rangers are more there as the average guy. All his weapons tend to be decent reload times but they won't wow you with relative DPS or flashy effects when compared to the other classes. He's there, he's consistent and his loadouts reflect that.

Big rockets are more a Fencer + Air Raider guidance laser thing. Or an Air Raider Call For Support thing.

Polo-Rican posted:

All of the classes are great; here's the official tier list, ranking the classes from Best (most fun) to Worst (least fun):

Ranger / Air Raider / Fencer: A+ (tie)
Wing Diver: A

As a Wing Diver you're automatically the person pulling everyone's bacon out of the fire. If you're standing from a distance attempting to snipe, you're not playing Wing Diver Right. :colbert:

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 21, 2016

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I can't speak for the first mission pack, but the second has some fantastic moments (how about a mission where you are constantly bombarded by your HQ?) as well as new sub-species of GIANT IN-SECTS. They are around the same difficulty or harder as the later missions of the campaign.

You will learn to hate green. And I guess the Retiarius all over again.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

You don't hold down the gas for the helicopter when you're in the air at some decent height, you feather it at a constant, slow pace. It also has a lot of momentum moving horizontally. The heli controls are unwieldy, regardless.

As for vehicles, you want to avoid anything that's an APC or a transport. They have minimal weapons, some are precarious to drive (see motorcycle with side car for hilarity) and generally don't last long in the field of battle. You also may want to avoid using any Helicopter that doesn't have an auto-aiming turret. Aside from that, you can make any vehicle at a decent level to difficulty work.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

fritz posted:

The DLC is for if you didn't get enough boss creatures in the main levels.

That too. Thank you for reminding of the mission where it's you (and your coop buddies) against 3 space battleship transformers in the middle of an intact city. The city was not so afterward.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Look man, when every giant bio-anomaly has been GIANT IN-SECTS and you're hired specifically for your specialization in Ravagers AND you managed to gently caress up on saying "Thank goodness there are no FLYING IN-SECTS!" you're going to call dragons some evolved GIANT IN-SECT just in case.

But he has no excuse for Erginus. That's clearly a godzilla.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Even then, if you crank up the sensitivity of the camera controls you could do things like maintain a bead on a red drone pretty handily on a PS4. I know I got pretty good at quickly lining up my shots near the end of the game. Still wouldn't compare to mouse controls, definitely, but as it was you could meet the demands of the game.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Wait until you have to fight a Silver King Spider and all of a sudden the table turn once you get it to ragdoll. For some reason they made it so that once it gets stunned from enough explosions, it has a huge difficulty getting back on it's feet. This results in it lazily ragdolling to the edges of the map like some discarded plastic bag in the wind as you keep hammering it.

This shows it off quite well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-pATyDgWjM

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Alternatively run your little heart out to be inside the shield before that happens because the NPC fencers are glacial in their progress.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Always set up so that the LOS to the majority of the enemy is cut off by a bend and then just keep hammering that location until the group is broken up and it's easy to mop up the stragglers without taking damage. Or have a buddy help with some crossfire, so your explosions are rocking the main group while your buddy is keeping stragglers from getting too close and you catch some backwash.

If you're talking the wide open fights in the underground, though, that's a massive clusterfuck and you're basically constantly on the move to avoid hits no matter your class. Fencer can absorb more hits so they can stand still for a little longer to absorb recoil but any plan you make is going to be dynamic.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 25, 2016

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

With Wing Diver it's just a matter of using your best rapier (bonus points if it's a plasma whip) and keeping to the edge of the blob.

You can also outrun the majority of the horde by boost jumping until you overheat and spend the time on the ground rebooting burning down the fringe using a gun with some capacity (Mid-Range Laser or Thunder Bow). This does take some good balancing of your energy meter because eventually you'll need to reload your weapon, which you will want to do while you're on the upswing of your next jump. Use smaller jumps to dive towards health pickups when needed. If buildings are left standing (:v:) those are good places to waste time in recovery mode, plus added height for your next jump so when you do overheat you have more time in the air recovering that energy. Mobility is how you survive as a Wing Diver in higher difficulties.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

JAVELINS OF COURSE. SEND THEIR OWN WEAPONS RIGHT BACK AT THEM.

Seriously though, not much that isn't considered complete overkill for them. Gatling guns maybe. Buddies to handle the skies while you concentrate on the ground.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

My favorite line happened today while fighting some Hectors
"USE BULLETS. TRUST ME!"

Also, how am I supposed to use any other weapon now that I have a loving laser chainsaw. Sure, my med-range lightning cannon is an absolute murder machine but does not have enough style points.

You move on to other laser outputs. For example, your next upgrade after the chainsaw doesn't quite cut it is the LARG-W3, named for it's three pronged fire. Basically anything in your field of view is going to be cut down! :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Always be rolling with those laser drones if you're Air Raider and Ranger. I-Frames from that are too good and they can't keep up with their tracking. You'll also want precision bombing with your Support slot so you don't pull aggro from the other nests.