Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Due to the difficulty in recruiting more warm bodies as soldiers get melted by webs the EDF has developed limited AI robot soldiers that Air Raiders can bring in and command. No machine can hope to match the finely honed physical discipline of a Ranger, but they can follow an Air Raider around and shoot bugs. Higher levels get you robot Fencers and Wing Divers. Alternate tree of AI vehicles to help out.

The other EDF soldiers that appear in missions will still scale better, but at least you can make some cold robotic bodies to take hits for you. Based off decoy technology so they pop like balloons and high tier ones wear maid outfits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Spine driver is when you want to have no wind-up, but more damage than the fist. Sometimes handy for drones.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I have noticed with fencer jumping that dashing forward into a jump feels inconsistent. Sometimes the jump isn’t recognized as you hammer down or do it too early. Said inconsistency does not happen when moving sideways. Remember fencers: always strafe dash to shoot and scoot to perfection.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Modded map of the EDF engineering a crashed teleportation ship into a two way gate. You pop into the alien world to blow up as much poo poo as possible. Lots of the structures are giant monster tubes that pop them out when broken.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Wouldn’t lock on missiles lock into all the leg nodes without lasers? You would have to find a sweet spot where you can knock out the lasers in 1-2 volleys, at 3 I would rather snipe them off.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
New mad scientist lady for Spritefall is great, but there's something I miss about the 4.1 Notung operator panicking about the players unauthorized access to it.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
When you have an appropriate level flame revolver it shits out damage like nothing else. And if you know what you are doing with dash jumps you can keep the charge going as you jump into a crowd. Whether that's a good idea is up to the Fencer. Incredibly cool feeling when you pull it off though.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The usable 4.1 helicopters had the auto-acquisition guns, which I believe mostly moved to Ranger in 5.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Hope to find Sarge entirely swallowed by a Giant Insect, shouting muffled encouragements from within while completely fine

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I recall a little more availability of the splendor variant of limpets in 4.1 than 5, and even if they aren't the best at clearing they were a desperately wanted source of piercing in cave missions

Even on Ranger the lock-on missiles always felt a little too spam-focused. Locking onto 30 ants at the same time and firing a volley every second, but it takes 30 seconds to start actually killing ants from the damage kills the novelty quickly. Emeralds feel like they should be a good middle ground but still struggle to clear even air chaff. Don't @ me about the air tortoise. Grenade/launchers can do some work but rocket launchers feel like a tradeoff in rate of damage for infinite range.

the auto-acquisition helicopters could be a menace in 4.1 and I don't think I used one in 5 that felt right

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
4.1 has a few goofy ideas I wish were carried forward as awkward but potent options, like the Air Raider web gun

Blind Duke fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 26, 2024

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Fencer shotgun is less about the shotgun and more about having a no-consequence weapon with jump jets. Low turn speed restriction, can fire without slowing you down, and pretty high uptime. Ideal partner for something with a dash like the spears

If only the entire left side of the Fencer equipment chart was less about a sorta wide piercing attack with criminally low damage and more increasingly usable vulcan hammers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
It will, 100% of the time, hit something