Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

FuSchnick posted:

EDF 2017 was a 360 exclusive, and 2025 is using the same engine. I haven't seen the game in person on either platform yet, but the youtube videos I've seen seem to agree that the PS3 version runs significantly worse.

Does this mean the PS3 version is the true version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Medicinal Penguin posted:

Well, if it's the same enemy counts and physics, then better fps is fine. But really, getting stable performance should just mean that you didn't put enough giant robots and exploding spiders on screen.

There's something really charming about watching the game at 5 FPS as a spider wafts off into the distance and a building gently falls to earth.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If the PS3 framerate issues are the same as 2017s I'm going to get the PS3 version, if they are really bad and hamper gameplay I may have to find a used 360 cheap...

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I regret not preordering through amazon because tomorrow I will have to drive through a slushy mix to buy this. No matter, one should sacrifice for greatness.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Unlucky7 posted:

So, anyone else kill themselves by aiming their Air Tortoise too low?

That's the first way I died. I couldn't get it to work, then figured out you just had to hold fire for a long time. After a few shots I noticed it was coming extremely close to the ground but thought the game wouldn't let the missile hit the ground as it came out. I forgot what series I was playing! It blew up and I laughed really hard. Did the same thing with one of the multi missiles for the Pale Wing. The Pale Wing is such a pleasure to play as. I wanted to use the Ranger as much as possible, but flying is such a joy. The Fencer is fun too.

I'm also glad that I wasn't ripped off on a manual. When I got a copy that was unwrapped with no manual I thought Gamestop was up to its old tricks. I looked on the back and it said something about a manual and that made it seem like there really should be one, but again, it's this series. It makes sense that it doesn't make sense.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Top Gym Pumper posted:

yeah I dunno I don't think I've ever managed to kill a single one.

Shotguns work great against those mother fuckers. If you have a strong sniper rifle that's good too, assuming you are playing through as a Ranger. I moved back to them today, flying was nice but I missed rolling.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Philthy posted:

Whats the trick with the 3 legged dudes. One stab and you die. Weve dumped thousands of damage into their legs to no effect.

If they kill you in one stab you should be collecting more armor! You can take them down with a good sniper rifle and shotgun combo by aiming for the core. It seems just as true in the last game that sniper rifles are the most powerful long distance weapons while shotguns are absurdly powerful short distance. I was able to kill all of them before they got in range of their legs.

A good shotgun can take down the transport ships in like three shots. It's amazing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Crabtree posted:

Please tell me recruitment into the EDF involves screening specifically for the most insane people to give the most destructive weapons ever conceived. I have the Jackhammer, a loving fast reloading rock'em-sock'em extending robot fist on my arm and I can't stop!

The main requirement to join the EDF is a desire for everyone around you to know when you are reloading or if you need to reload.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Edit: Nevermind, I didn't kill enough bugs.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 24, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I am really impressed with the writing in this game. In the last game your CO gives a couple of awesome speeches that get you all psyched up to kill aliens. This game didn't have a speech like that, but the way your comrades talk about Storm 1 and the way it leads to the final level is really great. It was something that kept making me smile and made everything so much more fun.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Belzac posted:

No, you're Storm 1. They say it in a mission like right before the final mission that Storm 1 vanished after 2017 but rejoined EDF and is a member of Storm team. That's you.

And it's hinted at since at least the second venture into the caves when a guy claims the legendary hero saved him but no one else in the unit buys it. They get less skeptical as time goes on.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Seiren posted:

But that's impossible! I played through as a Wing Diver.

:stonk:

Some binding and armor and you'll never know the difference.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Levantine posted:

So, final mission - any tips? I've tried taking it slow and steady and eliminating cannons, but there are too many. I got to the phase with the bright purple earth eaters and died all due to my own fault but is it easier to just make tracks and just keep shelling the Brain?

Yep, do the latter. When you beat one segment of the brain the Earth Eater vanishes so all that work is for nothing. Only clear out sections that block your view. I usually hit two exposed red glowing areas and a hanger and then hit the brain.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'm playing Starship as a Wing Diver and I'm curious Can I kill the Mothership in one cycle? I fly up to the the Genocide Gun and can kill that standing on it, then back to the closest UFO. I can fly back to the Mothership's weakpoint, but I can only stay in the air long enough to get the half damaged line. If I try harder can I kill the thing, or is the damage it takes in a cycle capped?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Has anyone found some interesting uses for Heaven's Gate? It's really fun on red ants and I bet it might be great on Hectors too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Vahalla posted:

Heaven's Gate is the Wing Diver special, in the same line as Pandora? If so, the only "good" use I've seen of it so far is placing it above one of the tunnel spawners for ants or spiders.

I imagine using them in confined spaces underground would be pretty hilarious, though.

That was really satisfying. I need to try that in Trapped next.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The worst part about dragons is in the previous mission radio chatter keeps referencing "lizards." I thought they said "wizards" and was really excited.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

FuSchnick posted:

The EDF grunts do actually mention wizards at some point. They keep having lines referencing magic swords and stuff when the dragons appear.

Yeah but that's after. I heard "flying wizards" and thought "Wow, that's weird even for EDF!"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mr Phillby posted:

Yeah seriously, leave hard mode for after you run through normal. Cranking up the difficulty on an easier stage for better weapon drops is perfectly acceptable though.

With proper use of the Laser Chainsaw you can play as a Wing Diver on Hard with little additional grinding.

The most fun way to beat Fortress Attack: Flying into the hatch before it closes the first time, then lasering it to death when it opens the second time. You'll need something slightly stronger than the Laser Chainsaw to do this reliably though, otherwise the hatch will close on you as it dies leaving you trapped inside. After it's dead you'll have almost no energy and little health as the cannons and Hectors clobber you, but you'll feel awesome. I've never really speed run before other than when I'd race Mario World with my cousin, but this game makes me want to speed run it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I feel like such a moron. I had been blowing through Hard with the Wing Diver mostly just using the Bow and Chainsaw, but traded out the bow for the Ixion 6 way. It worked great until Mountain Liberation and then I fell apart. I could not beat this drat level. I switched to the Thunder Sniper and was doing better, but would get killed by the last waves of dragons. I tried all sorts of things and couldn't beat it. I built up my armor a bit, tried again, failed. Tried a new sniper rifle, failed. After a couple dozen attempts I realized the Thunder Bow would be perfect for this, used it and beat it on my next attempt.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Polo-Rican posted:

I know this is a very unpopular opinion in this thread, but I'll say it anyways - if this is your first ever EDF, you should really start with Ranger. It's simply the most fun, and it's what the game was built around. Wing Diver sounds like it should be the most fun, but eventually you realize that all you're doing is playing "Watch The Meter - The Game." You spend 90% of your mental focus on Energy Management. Whereas, with the Ranger, you spend 90% of your mental focus on killing millions of ants with unlimited rockets, shotguns, and machine guns.

If you say that then Ranger is just "Rolling - The Game." Both classes are fun in their own way. I'm sure all the classes are.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This game does not want to drop me a Monster. It'll give me the Thunder Rifle 40s, but those won't help me on the last level. At least stuff like Plasmafall makes it funnier to play Den of Thieves over and over and over and over...

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This game hates me. It will not drop a Monster S for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Guys Retarius levels are a lot of fun, just use Plasmafall! No need to worry about the webs clipping through walls when you've knocked them all down.