Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Terminally Bored posted:

I haven't read the thread but will be getting 5 on steam. Is it better than 4.1? Will there be a 5.1? How's the dlc for it?

EDF 4.1 is an enhanced port of EDF 2025 from PS3 -> PS4, hence the .1. Odds are we won't get a 5.1 unless they really, really want a PS5 release.

Gyoru posted:

time to double dip on pc and go through all the grinding again :suicide:

I triple dipped for 2025, (PS3, PS4, PC) so boy am I glad I waited for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

LuiCypher posted:

Two legs, two arms, two eyes... They look just like us.

I saw the aliens, they have two eyes on their face. I believe they see with their eyes, just like humans.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Alright we have a plan for a new aircraft to deal with the dropships. It'll take two months to make them and two months to deploy.

*five months later*

Alright all the new aircraft got destroyed, they only got one kill.

*shoots up for 10 seconds*

"I'm sending this vital information to the entire world."

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so the white stars mean a stat is maxed out, correct?

Yes.

If every stat is starred, then a star gets added to the weapon name itself.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

So, fun fact:

If you like to use an alternate movement setup like ESDF, the game refuses to let you remap vehicle control to the new keys.

On the grounds that a common control is already using said key.

Turning left and right run just fine on the remapped keys, so your options are to play incredibly awkwardly, or just eat poo poo and move back to WASD.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Hectors are better than frogs purely because you cannot shoot a frog in the head so hard their entire upper body just whips back so far they are unable to shoot you.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

they reuse some maps from 4.1, like the beach.

I remember doing mission 20 and going "wait, isn't this the map from Crimson?"

5 seconds later, there's a swarm of red ants charging at me.

Some things never change.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

crimson redux was fine, but why the gently caress did they reuse the erginus intro mission? it sucked in 4.1, it sucks in 5, it's just intrinsically awful.

To show off how the new blood splatter tech gets incredibly silly with giant monsters.

Seriously, a single shot from a basic sniper rifle and every nearby building gets a new coat of paint. :v:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

So the EMC is stupidly good on missions with Anchors.

Hop in, point at Anchor, pull trigger and hop out to deal with any bugs that got close while the tank continues to fire. Repeat one or two more times and it falls.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Blattdorf posted:

For the longest time I thought the game was teasing me with the mothership the whole game. Then things got real. Then things got real-er. The game's sense of scale is unlike any other.

There's no shame in going through Normal because it can be rather brutal at times. This is another thing I appreciate about the series, that the higher difficulty levels aren't just "let's slap 50% more HP on everything, except for you", but throw new curveballs as you progress. I'm looking forward to the mission packs, and maybe this time around I'll get into online lobbies. I didn't do it with 4.1 because I didn't want my savefile to be ruined by someone randomly cheating.

Yeah EDF is great about having things constantly escalate and have it mean something.

You start off with a full squad of guys in a normal city and you frequently have air strikes and vehicles backing you up; then by the end drat near everyone is dead and you're on your own more often than not, facing even larger hordes of enemies in a city that's been leveled long before you got there.

I still like how the final mission briefing in 2025 was just the guy in charge going "Alright, we're almost certainly hosed, but I'll be damned if we go down quietly. Feel free to join us if you want."

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

So EDF5 just got steam trading cards.

Even those cannot escape that EDF Jank.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Kanos posted:

Breaking into inferno traditionally sucks rear end and is turbo unfun if you try to jump directly from clearing hard because the only way to comfortably and reliably handle inferno level threats is with inferno level weapons.

Thankfully, EDF 5 has a secret solution to this initial roadblock: Take advantage of having all the stages unlocked here. The final mission of retaking base 228, where you initially get the Barga, drops a ton of loot due to making GBS threads a ton of frogs/cosmonauts on you and is tailor made to be completed on higher difficulties with little effort because the Barga scales with difficulty. Run that on hardest a few times to bulk out your arsenal with level ~60 stuff and early inferno suddenly sucks a lot less rear end.

Alternatively: Run mission 63 or so on Inferno, whichever one is the first appearance of pillbugs. Grab the Fencer NPCs and duck into the nearby parking garage, then use a long range weapon to aggro the initial waves. Let the Fencers do most of the work while you plink with whatever you have on. The pillbugs straight up cannot hurt you unless you get too close to an opening, so you're completely safe. Odds are, at least one pillbug will get stuck in an alley somewhere and give you time to grab every box rather than having to dash once mission clear pops.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Drakenel posted:

Considering how murdering aliens and giant bugs somehow makes him/her/it more resistant to damage, (oh sure 'armor' pickups. Why does no one else have that ability?) I'd probably wager Storm 1 is a changeling. A changeling that rather likes earth thank you very much get the gently caress out aliens.

EDF6: Storm Team fights the Fae.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Filthy Monkey posted:

Finished my first playthrough of the EDF5 campaign, all co-op. Started on hard, and went though the whole thing as Ranger with an air-raider companion. Air raider is definitely crazy strong with his calldowns now. At range, he definitely beats my ranger damage.

My thoughts. A shotgun came with me on 95% of missions. I kept trying other weapons, but nothing could really compare as an anti-bug close range weapon. The slaughters were my favorite, due to accuracy and range, but I would occasionally use a monsoon if the level was more appropriate. The weapon is good for one shotting spiders/black ants/pillbugs, and two-shotting red ants.

My second weapon was more missions dependent, but it was typically a sniper rifle. The main reason being that my air-raider co-op buddy wasn't super against dropships. If he could get a good angle under one with a nyx he could blow it away faster than I could, but it wasn't nearly as easy or reliable. Past like the didn't feel as strong as the EDF 4.1 snipers that ranger had though. Maybe some of the hardest and inferno level ones are more satisfying.

I definitely do the puzzle aspect people are talking about here. The game is about finding a needed role and filling it, and that will depend on your team. I did try out some of the missile launchers with the multi-lock accessories, but it never really felt like it was filling useful strategic role. Air raider buddy was already plenty good at shredding anything large out in the open. What he needed was close-range personal defense against things like pillbugs, and help with dropships. If only he could more easily aim up.

I never really managed to make good use of any of the ranger vehicles, and I did try. I generally just felt I was better off with one of the speed enhancing items, and continuing to shotgun/snipe.

I tried out fencer a bit. Chaining dashes and jumps definitely makes for some speedy and fun movement. The actual killing felt like it wasn't as strong as just ranger shotgunning though.

I find snipers even more useful in 5 thanks to teleportation anchors giving me a long range target that's always vulnerable.

Grab a Lysander, take a pot shot at the nearest anchor, swap back to your primary and use the four seconds between sniper shots to thin out the horde.

The EMC is great for similar reasons, aim at an anchor, pull the trigger, then hop out for 30 seconds while the beam fires on its own.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

RBA Starblade posted:

I will never play anything but Air Raider so this mechanic is endlessly annoying to me

Better than the alternative, where trying out another class forced you back down to base armor and level 0 weapons after you've had a blast fooling around with Inferno gear.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

speaking of air raider weapons, i strongly recommend trying out assault beetles with infinite ammo and rof cheats on. it fires a ridiculous constant stream of self-propelled sticky bombs. it's still not particularly effective, but at least it looks neat.

I played around with those cheats with Wing Diver.

Turns out the Monster line of weapons breaks in a bizarre way that makes it fire forever and have a range of 'yes'.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Night10194 posted:

To be fair: Sarge has a kickass laser gun and a can-do spirit.

Also he totally does get you to a safe place after he helps you kill God

If nowhere on Earth is safe, all you have to do is make a safe place. :black101:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Quicksilver6 posted:

But I like the RoboJigglin’ dance parties that happen with Hectors...

Nothing like shooting them in the face with a high power weapon and watching their head slam into the ground.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Gameko posted:

A whole bunch of EDF games are on sale on steam.

Sooooo as someone who hasn't played any of these where do I start?

Start with 5, it has a lot of QoL stuff over 4.1.

Iron Rain is a spinoff game made by a different studio, while Wing Diver the Shooter is a bullet hell thing.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Infinity Gaia posted:

I never really paid much attention, what kind of delay has there been between the JP releases and the NA ones?

EDF 5 released Dec 7, 2017 in Japan.

English PS4 release was Dec 11, 2018.

PC released July 11, 2019.

So about a year if you just want to play it ASAP, year and a half if you want to play on PC.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Scalding Coffee posted:

It won't be pushing system boundaries since it still uses the PS4, so the frame rate won't die on you, unless you use the Switch. Was there a handheld EDF game?

There was a Vita rerelease for EDF2. It was called Invaders from Planet Space.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

RBA Starblade posted:

Could this peace treaty be the work of terrorists???

Whoever these guys are, they all look just like us!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Sakurazuka posted:

World Brothers is apparently out in the west this week???

Yep! It even has a steam page up!

Also lmao it already has 18 bits of DLC.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

The only good thing about cave missions is taking that one Ranger gun with bouncing bullets and holding down R1 so you can hear bugs explode before you even see them.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Bofast posted:

That video is... something.
I guess 2022 is the earliest we're likely to see the English version?

If it goes by EDF5's schedule, we'll get the console English version about a year after, then a PC release 6 months after that.

Although World Brothers released on PC and console at the same time, but that might be it being a smaller spinoff.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Cowman posted:

Any ideas when EDF6 will release in the states? I want to play it already!

It has a JP release date of Aug 25.

If the gap from JP -> EN console -> PC is anything like EDF5, we'll be getting it on PS4/PS5 next August, then on PC early 2024 or so.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

nnnotime posted:

Shaking some dust off this old thread. Any news about the Western release for EDF 6? I recall Scalding Coffee said the Western version of EDF 6 will come out for consoles first, then PC likely the next year.

Are Playstation 5's easier to obtain this year than last year? I had bought a PS 4 Pro specifically for EDF 5, so will likely being doing the same to get the latest PS console for EDF 6.

There's been no announcements for a western release yet, we're just guessing release timings based on EDF 5's release dates.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Ashsaber posted:

Finally got World Brothers and am about a dozen missions in so far. Fun enough, nothing groundbreaking. Any characters in particular I should be looking out for?

Pharaoh Sister is really good, aoe skill that gives i-frames while using, and her ult gives several seconds of timestop as a panic button.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Shine posted:

hhhhnnnfgffghhhhhhh i wanna shoot a bug so loving bad

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I like cave missions when I can bring in a weapon with bouncing projectiles.

Tunnel does a 90 degree turn and there are bugs on my radar? Just shoot the wall until they all go away.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Get burned by the fires of hell and die!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

If anyone is planning on replaying EDF5, there's now a mod that auto-collects all drops at the end of the stage so you don't have to spend five minutes running around gathering every last box.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Actually, that reminds me.

Does EDF6 Air Ranger have long range options that aren't total rear end? I started doing an Air Raider replay on 5 now that 6 has been announced, which ended the second I realized I would have to take down dropships with a Limpet Sniper.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

4.1 is worth playing just because the caves are loving dark. It's legit spooky fighting hordes of bugs when the majority of your light is from your weapons.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I liked the core of WB's thing, constantly swapping between people to cover reloads and ability cooldowns, but no way to quickly boost the health of new units and that stupid as hell dupe system to unlock weapon classes dragged it right back down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

redreader posted:

Playing edf5 online with friends. I've finished the entire game single player. How do I raise the weapon level limit? We're starting from the beginning, will it go up as we finish more missions? I'm only able to use the shittest tier of weapons.

Level limit in multiplayer is entirely based on what mission you're on, you have to hit 70% total completion to go ham in multiplayer.