Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Rollie the Guar posted:

But do the spiders still make bowling sounds when they die?
If it's anything like the Japanese version then you will be pleasantly surprised.

I have a hundred hours in the version I can't even read and I can't wait to buy it again. E-D-F! E-D-F!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Father Wendigo posted:

As a filthy poor plebeian who's never been able to sample the series, what's the learning curve like?
Air Raider is a ridiculously fun class in co-op, but frustrating in single player. The biggest thing to learn, and this took me longer than I'll readily admit, it that his bombardment and vehicle drops don't work underground.

Everything else is "See alien: shoot alien." This is not a complicated game.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

I really do not want to need to have two versions of the game.
Yes. Yes you do. You want to buy all the EDF. All of it.

...I'm going to double-dip. I can't believe I can't wait to spend more money on a game I could be playing right now.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

general chaos posted:

Accuracy in aiming is such a non-issue when your targets are larger than buildings.
Targets? What's a target? I thought you just fire the biggest gun you can find basically indiscriminately until you are the winner. EDF is awesome.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

I'm sorry, this is EDF. You mean feature.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Because if not, its much more productive to play offline at all times and that seems strange in a game that's so perfect for multiplayer.
You are overthinking it. Optimization be damned, Always Be Multi.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

In Mission 32 the genocide gun will retreat after you kill all the drones, too. Presumably you don't really have the resources to take it out yet. I don't think I've ever killed it in that mission.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Put turrets on the helicopter! I don't have that .gif handy but the result is pretty hilarious.
Depending on where the enemies are it can be pretty hilarious for your teammates, too.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

And you haven't even been to mission 39.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Kanos posted:

PS3 has some serious crashing problems when playing multiplayer that the 360 version seems to be without as well. My friends and I very frequently have our PS3s hardlock randomly while loading multiplayer levels.
I had just assumed that dual Javelin Catapults were so awesome that Keyboard_Vomit's PS3 just couldn't handle it and hardlocked.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Fencers are great at sustained fire. We're near the end of normal and my fencer can usually take out a dropship in one volley of heavy cannons. I can stunlock Queens and hectors with gatlings and maybe do a little urban renewal with my hammer. I've even got some cruise missiles I can mess about with when I've got an Air Raider buddy-he might have bigger nukes but I can fire mine more often. All this while flitting about the map like an ADHD insect.

Yeah, Air Raider has a couple always-good loadouts but tailor your guns to the mission and a Fencer will be your best bud.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I'll be picking this game up to binge on with a friend in couch co-op this weekend. Has anyone been able to figure out yet whether the load times are significantly improved on the PS3 if you get the downloadable version when compared to the disc version?
Unlikely. Think of it as time to practice your "Battle Hymn of the Republic."

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

EthanSteele posted:

How do you use the Javelin Launcher properly? I want to be a bee so I have 2 equipped, but it seems most effective if you just point your face at the floor and go from there.
Yep, you got it.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Is it wrong that I am seriously considering triple dipping on this (EDF4 and 2025) and quadruple dipping if it gets localized?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

My favorite EDF moment was getting to the end of mission 38 with only pile bunkers and shotguns. I had to boost jump and fire the shotguns at the weak point at the top of the jump to be in range.

It took forever and we almost died laughing the whole time when we figured out that it would work, but by god the EDF never gives up.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

keyboard vomit posted:

Don't worry, we got this

I might mention that keyboard here was my coop buddy for this one, being useful with his helicopter that couldn't hit the weak point at all and, I dunno, something else worthless like a true air raider would.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Retro42 posted:

The EDF-approved approach is level everything you can (minus the invariably indestructible ones in retarius levels) before you even start.
You can level buildings that don't have a net on them. Those are load-bearing!

If you destroy it, you can resume urban renewal and job creation at an EDF-approved pace.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Effective is secondary to awesome.

This is why I Ranger with air tortoise/air tortoise.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Light Gun Man posted:

Play Fencer if you want something more complex and tricky to keep you busy. Hope you can master not-really-documented basic skills!
Play fencer if you like the idea of getting a hammer that will one shot a lot of bosses and most of a city block, too.

Play air raider if you wanna do that but have it take, like, I dunno, ten years to happen.

Play Ranger if you wanna do that and roll forever and ever and just get beat out to the health by a fencer who was boosting all over the field like a lunatic.

Play wing diver if you are a anime.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

girth brooks part 2 posted:

The easiest way to do 96 is to take it slow. First take out the drones, then the robots, then the hills, then each of the hives in turn. The hives won't usually spawn anything usually unless you attack them.
Or bring a giant wall of hitpoints and a fencer who can stay out of trouble.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Except the urban renewal hammer... Uh, I mean the Vulcan Hammer. Its full charge can level buildings and bosses alike but only has a 6 meter range that can miss at point blank from wonky hit boxes.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Infinity Gaia posted:

Best Fencer is weapon is fist-on-a-piston and no one can deny this fact.

Spine Driver merits a mention for how ridiculous it looks.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Didn't do poo poo, sir!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Jackhammer, jackhammer, jackhammer, jackhammer.

Actually I run Deflection shield, jackhammer, Gallic, Gallic, but I'm probably the worthlessest fencer.