Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Are pickups randomly placed around the world or are they more like random drops from dead enemies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Having never played an EDF game, I just bought 2017 Portable on PSN because it was on sale. Is there anything I should know starting here?

singleplayer is kind of boring

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

If this does go on Live marketplace/games-on-demand, what time would that be?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

I regret not preordering through amazon because tomorrow I will have to drive through a slushy mix to buy this. No matter, one should sacrifice for greatness.

We might be in luck. This is the first sentence on the marketplace overview for it: "The Games on Demand version supports English."

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

So, this is pretty sweet. Is loot shared? I had some dude with me who would race me to all the drops. I couldn't really tell in the loot screen afterward if it counted just the ones I picked up or if it was shared.

Also I love the variety of EDF chants!

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Anyone else having problems with the revive prompt not showing up? I feel bad for my dead teammates as I kick them around.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

What's a good Wing Diver weapon against the hectors? I think I tried most of mine and wasn't really happy with anything, so I usually stick with a Thunder Sniper lv3 and plink away from a distance. It's not very fast though.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Ranger is pretty awesome. I got a missile launcher that locks onto ten targets, fires ten missiles, and is ready to go in another two seconds. Plus a 900 shot assault rifle that's basically a laser beam, but it can't be reloaded. Haven't tried it against a hector yet but I plan to tonight.

Haven't tried fencer yet, and I only seem to pick up healing spray weapons with air raider so I'm still using the starter guns with him eight missions in.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Bussamove posted:

Played for several hours yesterday in couch co-op, and I love Air Raider. Summoning so many mechs, blowing up so much poo poo with air strikes. gently caress your support, I am a front line fighter. :black101:

New vehicles seem pretty rare, though. Did I just have bad luck, or are there not very many of them kicking around?

I got gently caress-all for Air Raider in a few hours yesterday, then did some low-teens missions and got a mech and a helicopter to drop. Even though the heli kind of moves like it's in molasses, I ended up being a vital hector destroyer in that harbor mission.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Being able to yell stuff like "Grrk!" when you're being eaten by an ant is hilarious. As is screaming "E! D! FFFFF!" while jumping into an ant pile Leeroy Jenkins-style.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

You can take lvl 20 guns into Normal mode? I'm playing it kind of like Diablo, playing through normal first, then use my best weapons into Hard, etc...

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

I don't know if it's a hidden mechanic or a bug but not being able to revive people is so frustrating. I get the prompt maybe a third of the time. I have a feeling if someone's body ragdolls away from the spot they died may be causing it, but haven't tested it. Meanwhile people revive me everytime, I don't get it.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

It costs health to revive people. If you don't have enough health you can't revive them.

Holy poo poo thanks! That makes sense. I must be running around low on health all the time.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Holding/mashing the trigger will shoot while you're in the ants jaws. Doesn't seem you can aim though so depending on the weapon you might not be able to hit it. Otherwise they'll release you after a certain amount of time.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Philthy posted:

You can yell stuff while in game?

uh ohhh this is going to be awesome

There are a bunch of different shouts, gargling noises, screams, and more. There are like eight different variations of EDF!! shouts alone. I like picking a random one when doing something awesome like jumping my mech into a pile of ants or crashing an empty-ammo helicopter into a giant robot.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

It just seems like that with 4 people, a good amount of missions are almost impossible regardless of what weapons are brought to the table. I've failed probably about 90% of missions in multi on hard even though everybody has level appropriate weapons. I guess I could drop down to normal but then I'd already have better weapons than anything I'd pick up so it wouldn't be as cool.

In that first mission that introduces the flying Reds, I was playing with 3-4 and we could barely kill one before we were all dead. After a few tries and everyone leaving in frustration, I tried it solo and took it down somewhat easily. I noticed there were only half the enemies but I think their HP was the same. I'd guess numbers increase instead of enemy HP, or maybe it's custom per mission.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

general chaos posted:

Online tip 3 - tackling a small group of hectors? Try to surround the group and draw them away from one another. Hell, surround a single Hector to confuse its aim.

Or on that early mission where they drop out of the big AT-AT thing, lure them in front of the legs and watch as they get helplessly kicked a half mile into the city.

MikeRabsitch fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 22, 2014

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Fuligin posted:

I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything stupidly obvious, but is there a specific button (on 360) to call in vehicles/air strikes and other "special" actions? I'm in the very very early (first ten) missions and a few times the commentary has noted that "air strikes are ready" and poo poo like that but I have no idea how to do anything with it (playing as a Wing Diver). Also, any tips for Wing Divers in general? The speed is wonderful after slowly marching around as a ranger but I'm always eating through my Wing Energy like crazy trying to kill stuff quickly.

If you have an air raider in your game, the announcements of the vehicle being ready is broadcast to all players instead of just the air raider so that's what you're probably hearing. Same thing if the air raider switches "weapons" to an artillery strike, everyone hears that for some reason.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

The upgraded laser lance has carried me from mission 25 up to 50 so far. Get within 75(?) meters of any scrub and it dies in one shot, red ants die in two shots, and hectors don't know what the gently caress. I finally got a decent thunder sniper to drop as well for anything long range.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Kanos posted:

Are you sure about this? It feels like as a career Fencer player I'd basically never get any loot if this was the case. I play with a lot of Wing Divers and always get a bunch of weapons after missions.

I was going to repeat this, loot definitely seems shared in online. Maybe local co-op is different however.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Silvergun1000 posted:

I think I see my problem, a complete lack of laser chainsaws. I spent pretty much the whole back half of the game with a long range and medium range laser rifle, and that worked great except in the aforementioned example. Never even tried a lance, guess I should probably branch out a bit.

I just posted on the last page how the laser lance is hilariously overpowered (if you get the upgraded one to drop). Ten quick shots of 400 damage will wreck most anything and I rely on it way too much. I'm hoping I get another upgrade for lategame Normal, but 400 damage for a lvl 5 weapon is pretty nuts.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

rawdog pozfail posted:

I love this game's online system so much. The d-pad chatting is fantastic, as is the ability to quickly restart the mission at any time / chat with the people in the lobby from in-game. Also the frivolous room names.

Carefree Speedy descriptor always.

Agreed, although I do wish there was a progress indicator somewhere when joining a lobby while people are in-mission. Maybe something like a mission timer to see how long they've been in a mission, so we can judge the wait time. Otherwise you're waiting for 0-10 minutes, then at 10+ minutes you don't really want to leave as they "should" be finishing soon.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Putting ZE GUNs on the rear two corners of the railgun tank, and then having two teammates man the front two machine guns for a 360 bullet hose party is a good time.

I never had any problems with the game freezing and then ran into it three times tonight, that gets annoying pretty quick. Once after completing a mission, once while loading a mission and once while a mission was loaded as I heard the mission going but all I had was a black screen.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

mune posted:

Are you guys mostly bouncing around as the different classes or are you sticking with one until the end and then going through as another?

Bouncing around. I like playing with other people so I'll join whatever Normal game and then I'll check medals to use a class I haven't beaten that mission on yet. I've recently been expanding this to Hard now that I have some decent armor and weapons.

I think using something exclusively like Wing Diver for 100 hours would cause problems anytime I tried something else.

Speaking of which, I'm at like 7% completion at 40 hours which is insane.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Taking a fusion blaster to hectors is basically using a combined light saber and force push

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

rawdog pozfail posted:

Ohhh yeah, those. I was imagining a boomerang sort of thing. Yeah, I had the same experience- you hold down the trigger and the line extends further and further out, yet it always just stops a few meters away from you.

They seem pretty drat bad 95% of the time either way. Even if you're able to maneuver so all the enemies stay in one place under it, why not just do the same thing with a laser chainsaw?

I don't mind using them for the underground tunnel exists, you can plop one down on an exit and then zoom off to do something else. Otherwise yea they're tough to use effectively.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Donkringel posted:

Any tips for the queen? I have tried with a fencer and a wing diver, wing diver gets ko'd almost immediately, fencer lasts a bit longer behind the shield but the acid bath is just brutal.

With wing diver in a wide open area I use my usual answer, the laser lance. Always be zoomin and lancing. Otherwise you'd probably have to plink away with a sniper weapon.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

GOT A EXTRA TITTY posted:

I like playing the wing diver but most other ones are I meet are terrible. Why is this so?

Terrible how? I have a feeling people are scared to get too close because of the low armor, despite that's where the wing diver shines.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

limited posted:

Storm One is no man. They are a God of war, striding the battlefield to revel in the death and property damage in their wake.

Storm One also blows himself up quite often and screams WoooooAAAAhhhh!!! at random, often inappropriate times.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Does EDF6 have the same multiplayer lobby system as EDF5 or is it drop-in friendly? I've been grinding out EDF5 lately and there's still a handful of games going but waiting on lobbies seems so antiquated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Yeah I'm not following, is Asia with English dub identical to the EN release that we'll be getting?