Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

GOT A EXTRA TITTY posted:

Ranger is the dude from every other EDF (lots of weapon variety, no special abilities).

Air Raider is an odd one; you can fly. You have an energy bar that limits the flying; it slowly recharges. Every time you reload, you use a certain amount of your energy determined by weapon to reload the weapon. Certain weapons fire directly from your energy bar rather than requiring a reload (mostly continuous laser type weapons)

That's wing diver. Air Raider is the one that calls in air support.

Speaking of which, I really really want to hear the satellite blast radio operator's voice in english. I hope she also screams "SATELLITE BLAST!!!!" like she was a dbz character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Mr Phillby posted:

Minecraft EDF looks interesting. I like that they've kind of gone the other way this time so that instead of a westernized dumbed down game with superior graphical fidelity (and a stretched thin campaign with bullet sponge enemies in numbers that the engine can handle) to try and break into the western market they've gone all in on a simplified graphical style and focused so heavily on the history of the series to appeal to their existing Japanese market.

I don't know who all these characters are and I'm the guy who bores people with explanations like no the Invaders and the Primers are completely different actually and I know the Ravagers had Deroys too but...

Is there any word on a Western release? This feels like it would be especially tricky. Like are the EDF 2 parts of the game going to use the goofy Planet Space localization or will we get something closer to the original? Was O'hara even in the japanese 4.1? Do IA and IR get any representation here, or is ths main series only?

Its so weird to see a game so entrenched in the lore and characters of EDF when usually that poo poo is so background that the just reboot everything after 2 games because like you can do 'the aliens are here' and 'the aliens are back!' But 'the aliens are back for a third go!' Is just a bit repetitive i guess.

Edit: okay watched some more and noticed the grappling hook spiderman class from Iron Rain in the mix there. Yukes at least put their own game in there lol. Will accept IA in the game only if GDF tactics gets representation too.

they said "early 2021". I'm tempted to import since EDF games don't require any reading at all, but since it's yukes and not sandlot I'll wait and see. The premise is great though. The character ults are awesome, if they manage to get the scale right then it'll be a fun game.

I really really hope they added the wii game characters in there.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
update: I bought it for switch because it was 10% off on the preorder and I'm dumb. I'll let y'all know if I got burned by yukes regarding lack of content, not enough bugs or terrible grind.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
first impressions are: don't buy the switch version, the textures are MUDDY and the game has very bad depth of field settings. It looks even worse docked. All this will be forgiven if the performance is good enough for hundreds of bugs (and I can't complain about portable EDF). I'm getting so many new chars I'm not being able to test all of them. Combat feels good, though. The bugs feel a bit dumb and not really aggressive, but it might be starter missions. We'll see.

Yeah, the difficulty will start spiking super early on hard which is good. I'm on mission 5 and I'm already getting big robots and godzillas. Let's see how it goes

nerdz fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 23, 2020

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's really a lot of different chars, though the char selection is padded with alpha, beta ,etc variations. The characters are not locked to weapons so apparently if you level them enough (by rescuing the same char multiple times) the character unlocks different weapon types. I don't know how far this can go but it might be possible to end up with a wing diver that uses fencer weapons.

So far melee chars feel a bit overpowered since they have great mobility and strong attacks. This spartan char just wrecks everything. The pirate is really good too. Some chars are pretty cool and unique like the astronaut, who has a low G jump and a rocket boost thats super fast but you can't turn.

The team swapping mechanic feels great. You can do several things like getting into melee range or escaping with divers, moving to higher ground for better positioning for artillery chars etc. I feel like one of the challenges of EDF was having a loadout that could handle all the enemy types at once so you'll pretty much have all the tools all the time here, but so far it doesnt feel too easy. The enemy diversity is super high so even with 4 chars I'm stretched thin sometimes.

All the characters never, ever shut up. They have voice lines for shooting, jumping, taking damage, using skills, rolling etc..

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Good news: the game does not give a gently caress that certain setpieces bring the fps down to low single digits. They do not skimp on the bugs. The extra flexibility of having 4 team members who can equip weapons from other classes to a certain extent gives you so much flexibility that they really need to push the challenge so things are not too easy. The funny thing about it is that the absurdly hard setpieces from previous games feel fair and challenging to a reasonable degree here. There's a lot of variation even within the classes themselves. I'm running with the EDF:IA wing diver who is sort of a heavy wing diver, with double the regular diver HP, slower flight but faster recharge, and can use heavy weapons like that one seeking missile that one shots robots. I can just fly around clearing robots with it. Then there's the EDF3 pale wing that has super fast flight but it's slow to recharge, and uses mostly classic diver weapons. All the options are really really cool.

One obvious negative point here: You have to grind HP for each char, which is as absurd as it sounds, with over 100. You have to figure out your core chars and stick to them as much as possible to progress smoothly. You reliably gain around 50 hp per char per mission so at least grinding each char is waaaaay faster than regular edf and it's just a mission reward, you dont need to pick them up or anything. Chars seem to gain HP relative to their base HP too, so lower HP chars gain slower.

I'm currently on mission 40 and still seeing new enemies so it feels like this will keep going for a while, hopefully it doesnt have the curse of EDF spinoffs that end too abruptly.

This is quite certainly the best EDF spinoff they've ever done (maybe competes with the wii one) but it 100% feels like sandlot edfs while feeling really really fresh. I'm sure it'll be a hit and I'll buy it again when it's out for PC.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok, I just hit the credits on hard. 60 missions with a ton of variety and that unlocked hardest. Probably inferno will unlock after that. The progression felt great and the missions are very good. I unlocked a ton of chars but there's a lot more to unlock. This is probably one of my favorite EDF games. It wouldn't surprise me if online multiplayer is much, much harder since you only get one char and lose the almost cheating flexibility of having 1-2 mobility focused chars who can carry your low mobility/high damage chars around.

Interesting tidbit: The credits are already in english and show english VAs, localization teams etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the game comes out real soon in the US if it's like this.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tensai posted:

I am impatient and have spare money so I imported the game. How english friendly is it? Can I basically guess my way through menus?

Yeah EDF is super import friendly. If you have experience with EDF games you can guess 100% of the menu stuff. Weapons have damage numbers so you pretty much have all the info you need. You can figure out the characters and what they do just by using them. There's an accessory slot that gives out certain modifiers, those are a bit trickier but google translate works really well on them. Once you figure out which ones are good you can stick to them until you gather a lot more.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
here's an example of an accessory translated by Google translate:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty great, really. All the spinoffs had interesting trooper types but always what sucked was the encounter design and lack of scale. Unsurprisingly, the characters for IA and IR are some of the best alongside the original chars. It's pretty fun playing them in a game with regular EDF combat.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A few more comments as I work towards unlocking inferno:
multiplayer works surprisingly well, even playing with japanese players. I hope multiplayer is not region locked so I can play with non jp people without buying the game again. It just makes the game very very trivial since you actually get 4 players each with their 4 man team. It's still fun. Each new difficulty level introduces new weapons for all characters, sometimes they're straight up upgrades but sometimes you get weapon variations.

this game is indeed easier than the average edf but a lot of it is because so much bs is removed. no picking armor upgrades, you get weapons and characters faster than you can test them and armor gets upgraded at quite a decent pace. You get a set number of characters to collect in each mission and they're marked on the map. most characters start with sizable health pools, up to 5k to begin with on heavy characters. I wouldn't mind if the mainline game adopted these mechanics. I'm still finding new characters, there really is a ton of them.

apparently inferno introduces health caps so we'll see how hard it gets. in conclusion, the game is easier but in a good way, the character swapping feels great and you feel quite powerful.

There's a few issues with character balance because each character gets one ability with the left trigger. air raiders get bombing plans that hit for a lot of damage, some characters get turrets or powerful mines, additional melee or ranged attacks etc. rangers only get the dodge roll which is nothing in comparison, considering wing divers can fly and equip the same weapons as rangers after enough unlocks. their ults aren't really that powerful to make up for this. pretty much any character that has a non flying mobility ability feels subpar as any team will have 1 or 2 flying characters who will handle all the mobility. Some characters have ults or abilities that fall off completely on harder difficulties as they don't deal enough damage to kill. there are accessories that boost that type of damage so that's probably how they'll scale.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Drakenel posted:

But the important question. Are there friendly soldiers besides the four standbys in each mission? Can they sing? This is important to me.

your 4 man team is always around and they'll sing along with you when prompted. There's also extra characters alongside you in some missions, like the Canadian edf representative, who's a honey addict wearing a bear suit. Every country representative is the biggest and most ridiculous stereotype ever and I love it. well, maybe except for the german one

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Some closing thoughts here as I got real close to 100%ing the content (they'll release new DLC chars on jan, feb and march, with extra missions by march).

The first time through the missions on hard felt the most balanced. You have a limited char selection and have to make do with whatever chars you get and you haven't rescued enough of them to unlock extra weapon categories yet. Armor gets added at a rather modest pace of 5-20 per mission, so the base health pools of each char (and their variants) matters a lot more. Basically chars have the most individuality at this point.

Once you beat the game and unlock hardest and inferno after that, the dynamic of the game changes a lot. Each difficulty adds more chars to rescue per mission, armor gets added at a much faster pace (100+ per mission on hardest and all the way to 500 on inferno), all chars get a new weapon that's either a straight up upgrade or a stronger weapon variant and any char will level up 2 or 3 times when you rescue a char you already have (each level up means a different weapon category unlock). It becomes a game of figuring out the most broken combos you can make to break the game over your knee. Some chars that were good at the beginning because they had high base armor or good initial weapons fall off completely in favor of characters that have strong abilities/ultimates.

I beat all the missions on inferno on my first try because at that point you have so, so many options and there's no setpiece you can't handle when you have most of the characters, weapons and accessories and your main team can equip all weapons and therefore cheese any map in 10 different ways. The armor gain greatly outpaces enemy damage if you stick to a main team. Even if inferno has cheap one shots it doesnt matter because you have 4 characters who can revive each other. The maps would be plenty hard in a standard EDF game, it's more about the mechanics here.

Even then, it doesnt make the game any less fun, though it might kill a bit of the longevity (read artificial padding) of mainline games by removing a ton of the grind. This game is more of an EDF power fantasy than a fight against insurmountable odds. Think of it as fun in a chill, Disgaea or Warframe way. It still gets quite challenging at the last missions.

I still havent got all character variants to drop, and missing at least 5.

This is definitely my favorite EDF spin off by far, not even close. It might even beat some of the older EDFs, really. It's quite polished and has a lot of charm and ideas that I hope get implemented in the main series, especially not having to grab armor and random weapons mid mission.

When the game comes out in the US I'd recommend setting yourself some self imposed challenges after beating inferno. You can limit yourself to one char to get a mostly classic EDF experience, and you only get whatever extra random characters you can rescue during the mission, or not even those, just go it alone. I'd love to do MP with goons where we can only use one character each, since regular multiplayer might be pretty much impossible to lose.

Extra point: This game has probably my favorite maps of all EDF games. They really feel different from each other, have a ton of character and the fact they're set up like arenas with edges you can fall off from makes it a lot more arcadey. They do have a ton of different maps and barely use some of them. I could see mission packs making better use of some underused ones. Mission packs could also add a ton of difficulty once they get some player data. I'd 100% buy mission packs with harder missions.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 31, 2020

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yes to both, but you don't really need long range in most cases besides for safety reasons when you can fly around and generally move quite fast. There's the usual advancing bots on the beach encounter and circle of transport ships that are made easier with long range weapons.

The cave map is used quite sparingly compared to the other maps, maybe it'll see more use in the dlc mission packs but the lack of underground missions is a plus in my opinion.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
so they really forgot about the US release of world brothers uh? too bad, it's a great game. Hopefully the multiplayer is not region locked so I don't need to buy another copy to play with people here

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They just released a mission pack DLC with 11 extra levels. What's surprising about it is that unlike EDF5 mission packs, this one features a significant amount of extra enemies, including EDF2017's quadruped fortress and that huge centipede from other EDF games. It might be released alongside the US version with everything included.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Scalding Coffee posted:

It does draw from all the EDF games, so it is easy to add so many enemies. Still glad they remembered centipede.

Oh yeah, my point here was that they usually just shuffle enemies around for DLC packs, and yet this one features extra enemies. Hopefully the extra missions also add much needed difficulty since the game can get quite easy once you have enough tools at your disposal.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'll say this, world brothers looks way better than old EDF games and they nailed gameplay so well that at some point you forget what the old games are supposed to look like.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

oh gently caress, I might buy it for PC again. The graphics on switch are a bit muddy, and the dof effect can be annoying like in lego games. At least on PC we might be able to disable it.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I posted quite a bit about my impressions with world brothers here, feel free to filter by my posts

gonna just add here my posts about initial and closing thoughts about the game

quote:

Good news: the game does not give a gently caress that certain setpieces bring the fps down to low single digits. They do not skimp on the bugs. The extra flexibility of having 4 team members who can equip weapons from other classes to a certain extent gives you so much flexibility that they really need to push the challenge so things are not too easy. The funny thing about it is that the absurdly hard setpieces from previous games feel fair and challenging to a reasonable degree here. There's a lot of variation even within the classes themselves. I'm running with the EDF:IA wing diver who is sort of a heavy wing diver, with double the regular diver HP, slower flight but faster recharge, and can use heavy weapons like that one seeking missile that one shots robots. I can just fly around clearing robots with it. Then there's the EDF3 pale wing that has super fast flight but it's slow to recharge, and uses mostly classic diver weapons. All the options are really really cool.

One obvious negative point here: You have to grind HP for each char, which is as absurd as it sounds, with over 100. You have to figure out your core chars and stick to them as much as possible to progress smoothly. You reliably gain around 50 hp per char per mission so at least grinding each char is waaaaay faster than regular edf and it's just a mission reward, you dont need to pick them up or anything. Chars seem to gain HP relative to their base HP too, so lower HP chars gain slower.

I'm currently on mission 40 and still seeing new enemies so it feels like this will keep going for a while, hopefully it doesnt have the curse of EDF spinoffs that end too abruptly.

This is quite certainly the best EDF spinoff they've ever done (maybe competes with the wii one) but it 100% feels like sandlot edfs while feeling really really fresh. I'm sure it'll be a hit and I'll buy it again when it's out for PC.

quote:

Some closing thoughts here as I got real close to 100%ing the content (they'll release new DLC chars on jan, feb and march, with extra missions by march).

The first time through the missions on hard felt the most balanced. You have a limited char selection and have to make do with whatever chars you get and you haven't rescued enough of them to unlock extra weapon categories yet. Armor gets added at a rather modest pace of 5-20 per mission, so the base health pools of each char (and their variants) matters a lot more. Basically chars have the most individuality at this point.

Once you beat the game and unlock hardest and inferno after that, the dynamic of the game changes a lot. Each difficulty adds more chars to rescue per mission, armor gets added at a much faster pace (100+ per mission on hardest and all the way to 500 on inferno), all chars get a new weapon that's either a straight up upgrade or a stronger weapon variant and any char will level up 2 or 3 times when you rescue a char you already have (each level up means a different weapon category unlock). It becomes a game of figuring out the most broken combos you can make to break the game over your knee. Some chars that were good at the beginning because they had high base armor or good initial weapons fall off completely in favor of characters that have strong abilities/ultimates.

I beat all the missions on inferno on my first try because at that point you have so, so many options and there's no setpiece you can't handle when you have most of the characters, weapons and accessories and your main team can equip all weapons and therefore cheese any map in 10 different ways. The armor gain greatly outpaces enemy damage if you stick to a main team. Even if inferno has cheap one shots it doesnt matter because you have 4 characters who can revive each other. The maps would be plenty hard in a standard EDF game, it's more about the mechanics here.

Even then, it doesnt make the game any less fun, though it might kill a bit of the longevity (read artificial padding) of mainline games by removing a ton of the grind. This game is more of an EDF power fantasy than a fight against insurmountable odds. Think of it as fun in a chill, Disgaea or Warframe way. It still gets quite challenging at the last missions.

I still havent got all character variants to drop, and missing at least 5.

This is definitely my favorite EDF spin off by far, not even close. It might even beat some of the older EDFs, really. It's quite polished and has a lot of charm and ideas that I hope get implemented in the main series, especially not having to grab armor and random weapons mid mission.

When the game comes out in the US I'd recommend setting yourself some self imposed challenges after beating inferno. You can limit yourself to one char to get a mostly classic EDF experience, and you only get whatever extra random characters you can rescue during the mission, or not even those, just go it alone. I'd love to do MP with goons where we can only use one character each, since regular multiplayer might be pretty much impossible to lose.

Extra point: This game has probably my favorite maps of all EDF games. They really feel different from each other, have a ton of character and the fact they're set up like arenas with edges you can fall off from makes it a lot more arcadey. They do have a ton of different maps and barely use some of them. I could see mission packs making better use of some underused ones. Mission packs could also add a ton of difficulty once they get some player data. I'd 100% buy mission packs with harder missions.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 11:20 on May 29, 2021

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bofast posted:

nerdz, did you have any weird stutter or hitches during missions? I picked up the Switch version for now and while the framerate is mostly fine I get random ~0.1 second stutters every few minutes. It can be when I fire a weapon or without any visible reason. I'm gonna try to move the game from the microSD card to system memory and see if it makes any difference. Other than that, I think the game has been 'fine' for the first 10 missions or so, though nowhere near as fun for me as EDF4.1 or EDF5.

Weirdly enough, I practically only use two characters 95+% of the time. The Dutch sister you can rescue in the first couple of missions is a bit slow but has a plasma launcher that one shots most regular mobs at quite long range and then I switch to the EDF4 wing diver for moving around the map and rescuing characters.

I don't remember getting stutters but I dont remember where I stored it. Regarding the team comp that's how it'll go most of the time, but as you keep playing and death starts being a concern your team will end up like 2 divers (so you're never out of mobility to rescue the other one), 1 air raider for the ultimate and a solid high HP dps character with a strong ability to clear out high HP robots+anthills. The EDF2 wing driver can equip that plasma launcher, which has been my go to wing diver weapon, it's very solid. As you level up characters and bump up their HP, the only things that really matter are the ability and ultimate. It's a cool progression because characters that are good at the start of the game start falling off hard at the end, and character with strong abilities and ultimates but lovely weapons start out moderately balanced and just get bonkers as you get yourself an air raider with bombing plans on a very short cooldown and insane ultimates.

Some of the characters to look out for in endgame in my experience, spoilered if you want to figure things out by yourself:

EDF5 air raider: insanely strong ability, stronger than most ultimates. And the ultimate is probably the most ridiculous one in the game since it's a spritefall that follows the enemy. One trick in this game is that carrier ships can be damaged from any direction so dropping the ability beacon right under them is a guaranteed kill.

Swiss alps brother: Loses the bombing plan ability but gets the snowboard for the best horizontal movement in the game, and the second strongest ultimate after the EDF5 air raider. It's basically the same tracking ultimate but with extremely strong missiles instead. If you pair it with the EDF5 air raider you'll have insane amounts of damage output with great mobility to get away from the explosions.

IA wing diver: High starting HP and good starting weapons (which doesnt matter that much after the endgame) in exchange for slower flight and lower airtime. Has an alternate afterburner mode. Has possibly the best Air Raider ultimate, good tracking and aoe abilities.

Gladiator: High starting HP, melee weapons are decent at the beginning but fall off at the end. Great starting weapon selection, gets sniper rifles and ARs quite early on. Eh ultimate but it can be useful at times. The big thing about the gladiator is the ridiculously good ability, a ton of explosive jars on a short cooldown that are insanely strong against all sorts of static/slow targets. Pair it with a wing diver and just travel around the map blowing up all anthills/shieldbearers/hectors etc. Also useful as area denial, great against melee enemies like red ants. He was basically my ranger character.

Argentinian lady: Completely forgettable character but has the best weapon in the game. Extremely good range, decent fire rate, the fastest bullet speed in the game and absolutely bonkers auto aim. It's so good you can just stack damage items and fire and forget your way through the game, can work well at any range.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
double post but definitely skip all the character DLC. All that DLC added together is not even 10% of all the characters you can get in game and none of them have any particularly good weapons, it's all cosmetic.. The mission pack coming out 2 weeks from now seems to be pretty good though: A few new missions with very cool new monsters too, I was waiting for the PC version to buy it.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
one time I played with a dude that used 3 pharaohs and chained their time stops just to piss people off since it also freezes other players.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yeah I'd actually recommend staying away from multiplayer for the most part. not because it's bad or annoying to find a game, it just completely removes any challenge in the game. Once more people are done with inferno I'd like to suggest setting up some multiplayer sessions where we can only use one character each.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In EDF world brothers, from what I gathered in the JP version the EDF4 air raider is the son of the crazy EDF5 spritefall lady. he just asks his mama to fight for him

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
One good point about EDF World Brothers is that while they do have a cave map, it's used exactly once.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
and the MP in this game sucks a lot since it has no HP or gear limitations and absolutely trivializes the content. When I had a ton of people to play with in the JP version it made things less fun, not more fun.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
they should port zangeki no reginleiv for the switch. It would work perfectly there.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yeah and it had a weapon crafting and upgrading system instead of random drops. it was a very good game, with the quality and budget looking way above the edfs of the time.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Scalding Coffee posted:

New Episode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-4joU3x0zY

Air Raider now uses commercially available drones for various air strikes. Might be a low level thing to be using drones instead of planes. Might be a nerf to long range bombing runs across the map.
The drones are Options that hover around you and Air Raider can slap extra weapons on them with their extra weapon slot.
Fencer is there. I don't remember if they have an AOE pickup radius from EDF5, but they have it in this game. No fifth weapon slot.
EDF4.1 for the Switch coming next year.

The drones seem to be a new weapon class, I can see the cluster bombing plan equipped there. I think the trademark of the air raider class is the lack of direct, immediate damage in exchange for bigger AoE and burst damage. The only exception here would be the net guns and they're still quite fiddly to use, nowhere near like a shotgun/AR. The drones seem to be a slightly less indirect way of doing it by putting Ranger weapons on the drones but they probably won't scale for mob clearing. Very interesting weapon for sure.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
world brothers is a fun little game that's quite easy for EDF standards but honestly it can be a positive point, like an EDF power fantasy with most of the annoying stuff stripped out. I paid full import price for it and feel it was worth it. If you can get it in other platform I'd recommend it though, as the switch port resolution can be a tad low.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
D3 updated the site with some pictures of the new enemies and they just revealed the worst enemy ever created in EDF: A teleportation anchor that shields itself and can attack. It can only be killed from pretty much point blank range apparently. Though the prospect of spiders with electrical webs that can stun you sounds even worse.

quote:

A new type of teleportation anchor whose appearance of android has been confirmed from the surroundings. Equipped with an electromagnetic shield to protect the weak points of the upper transfer device. It also has a tentacle-like battery that can attack in all directions. As with the conventional type, the operation must be stopped promptly as soon as it is discovered.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 7, 2022

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

Japanese only. Not that you need to do a lot of reading in edf. Only tricky part is figuring out what weapons do

That is the fun part! You equip them, fire and die instantly. But honestly you memorize the categories rather quickly and the numbers are a very good indicator of how the weapon will perform, the archetypes etc. EDF is the only game I import because it doesnt really matter. Then everyone else plays the much better english PC version with all dlc bundled in and I never get to MP. JP imports are usually more expensive, not to mention the JP PSN card markups.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bofast posted:

That sword action made me think of what little I played of Zangeki no Reginleiv. I don't even recall if it is similar, but that's just the impression I got

yeah a bunch of the reginleiv stuff was backported to fencer, for sure

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I liked it!!! I'm down for more

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Good Citizen posted:

All I remember from WB1 was that I couldn’t find a multiplayer game the day after release on steam and it felt like I might be committing some kind of hate crime by playing it

wasnt the german brother a WW2 "german soldier"

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
if they could at least pull off a simultaneous release... after all the other japanese franchises they're the only ones lagging behind at this point. Even monster hunter figured it out

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ranger got a lot more fun when it stole some of the best air raider vehicles like the nereid and epsilon

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gotta sharpen your bike skills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
it is a very good game, with cutscenes, early limb cutting like the modern edfs,a crafting tree system and a lot more bosses than the edfs of the time