Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

All that bullshit in the OP and loving huge table-breaking images, and you don't even show the launch trailer? loving low-effort scum. I bet you even liked Insect Armageddon.

Rub your eyes all over this poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_GJiYk3Vi0

Also, fun facts:

EDF: Insect Armageddon was bad. Mainly because it was only 15 missions long and ended the moment you saw the alien mothership.
EDF 2017 was rad, and huge. It was 53 missions long and you threw down with a city-destroying alien ship that blotted out the sky at the end.
EDF 2025 is loving enormous. It's 85 missions long, there's another 45 coming as DLC, and (read this gameplay spoiler if you want a huge alien-murder-boner) you fight the EDF2017 mothership less than half-way through. How's THAT for escalation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Oh yeah, the Wii EDF spinoff - Zangeki No Reginliev - (commonly known as Norse Defense Force) has a translation patch now, if you've got a homebrew'd Wii.

It doesn't do everything, but it makes it clear enough so that you can jump in and start playing without difficulty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI4K6hVURpg

ZnR is basically Earth Defense Force with motion controls for really satisfying giant melee weapons and with huge enemies that you can/have to dismember. Apparently it also runs well on Dolphin now, so PC folks can try it too.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

BlueDestiny posted:

That sucks, because RAD is awesome. At one point you're fighting a godzilla ripoff that can do a big charging headbutt. I timed it just right and caught it square in the dome with a robo-uppercut that sent it flying through a few buildings, and then I went super saiyan mode and shot a drill-fist at it.

It also had the most incredible voice acting ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0kNwwQH5rk

If I remember right, the guy who translated that game used to post here, and explained just why the entire localization seemed so 'special'.

Simply put, the publisher sent him a raw text dump of all the dialogue without any context or framing, gave him just a couple weeks to do it in, and on a shoestring budget. Now, Japanese is a pretty contextual language, so the guy was pretty much wildly guessing at what the hell was going on and trying to use the appropriate words.

Once the text was translated, he recommended that the publisher use a voice-casting agency that he recommended. The publisher decided to cut corners and went and hired a company that does corporate informational videos to handle the voicework. If I remember right, the icing on the cake was the 'actress' playing news reporter, who was a secretary at the publishers main office or something equally ridiculous.

You really don't get poo poo like that happening any more these days. I'm not sure whether to be happy or not.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Not only that, but 2025 has been out in Japan for months, and I don't think I've heard anything less than glowing praise for it.

Also, with the mission DLC, it's literally OVER TEN TIMES longer than Insect Armageddon.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, the PSN sharing thread seems mostly dead and buried, so is anyone here (and stateside) up for splitting the cost on a shiny new copy of 2025, plus that first little bit of DLC? Because sharing is caring, and you show how much you care by blowing ants back into space.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Philthy posted:

Now 2025 has both, but everyone seems to be wanting couch co-op more than online. I was honestly wondering why they even included couch co-op still, but I guess there are some who still do this.

Because some people have friends and/or family that they want to play games with? Every time I have to tell my GF that we can't play together because she has to buy her own console, TV, copy of the game, etc, I get pissed off that local multiplayer seems to be a weird oddity to so many people.

Cowman posted:

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I got my code for the preorder DLC from Amazon and on my account, according to the website, I have 2 copies of it. Does that mean I can share it with someone? If not, what does it mean?

If you've got two seperate codes for the same bit of preorder DLC, they just gave you a spare. Which means you can just give it to someone and they'll be happy that you've further enriched their space-bug-blasting experience.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mr Phillby posted:

Erogamer review is up and it's poo poo.

A real shame, because their review for 2017 was fantastic.

Cara and Kieron are pretty much BFFs, so this is basically a running gag between them. EDF is either the best or most boring thing ever depending on which of the two of them you are.

She does hate the Air Tortoise, though. I think that she may secretly be an ant in disguise.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Edit: Found someone to split the cost with.

Also, the game is up on the US PSN store now. $50 with another $18 for the season pass, which is 45 more missions over the next month.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 19, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Computer Opponent posted:

So do the classes level by any chance in 2025? I can't deal with the Fencer's slowness.

No levelling. There's a video somewhere showing how you're meant to play the Fencer - it's the crazy-technical class. You can cancel out of shooting/blocking animations to dash-dodge almost constantly. Oddly enough, it's the fastest class.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

You can get it early off the US store, though, especially if you split the cost with someone. Regional release windows are dumb.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Selious posted:

After buying the JP version almost a year ago I'm almost sure the US PS3 version somehow has a lower framerate. 2017 dipped down a bit from time to time, but the first air raider artillery shell goes sub frame per second and most online games hover around 10.

The first couple of stages have pretty much double the number of entities running around. The civilians tend to thin out afterwards, and the framerate increases.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rollie the Guar posted:

I never thought I'd see the day, but they made the helicopters into forces of nature that are actually usable. It's a shame that Air Raider gets nothing n terms of actual weapons, just a bunch of slightly different limpet guns.

Air Raider does get to call down mechs on demand though, which have ALL THE GUNS.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Bussamove posted:

The horrible translation and hammy voice acting makes things so much better, and to hell with anyone that says otherwise.

From what I can gather, the translation is pretty accurate. Along with the ham.

You know what it reminds me of? Axe Cop. Every character seems to have this kind of childlike earnestness to them, especially the EDF troopers. I was doing an underground mission, and one guy says (if I remember right) "I used to think basements were cool, but this isn't cool at all!". They're like heavily armed six-year-olds and I want to pet them and protect them all. They're halfway between :downs: and :kimchi:

Also, best exchange:

Professor: "Giant insects like to be near water. They need water."
Commander: "But on earth, there is no water... for aliens."

Like I said - Axe Cop.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 21, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I Greyhound posted:

But the true natural enemy of giant insects is FLYING WOMEN, of course.

At least according to Professor Smugface McWrongAllTheTime.

"The Wing Divers are the natural enemy of giant insects! Nothing can possibly slow them down, and their mobility is unmatched!"

Cue Wing Divers getting caught in webs.

"Now that we've defeated the Retiarius spiders and their nets, nothing can stop us, because as we all know, there is no such thing as flying giant insects!"

Cue hornets.

I'm only on mission 42 so far - is there anything that this guy says that isn't immediately proven wrong in the most catastrophic way possible?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

Goons lied! The framerate on ps3 is pretty distractingly horrible, and not anywhere near 2017's framerate on the 360.

The framerate on the first ten missions or so is the worst, because there's so many goddamn civilians. It improves sharply once they're out of the way.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I've said it before, but I love the EDF troopers and their sense of childlike wonder. One of them, while under attack by fifty bus-sized insects, grumpily comments "These guys have really hurt my image of alien life. :saddowns:".

It's like the polar opposite of every overbearingly macho OSCAR MIKE OORAH DEVIL DOGS FUCKIN A MARINES FOREVER BROFIST marine in gaming.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Philthy posted:

Yeah, it's like a David Lynch movie of video games. Everyone is WHAT IS THIS poo poo, and then us hipsters are all :smug: because we know whats up.

That was a bad analogy, im sorry.

I'd love to see David Lynch to produce a completely unpretentious monster movie. The kind where you see the monster within the first five minutes and there's never more than ten minutes between explosions.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I'm surprised at how good a port this is. The menus are clunky, obviously, and there's not too many options, but it runs silky smooth and even the netcode is rock solid. Mouse controls are tight and precise and responsive too.

Finally, the definitive EDF, and it's on PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Even with my lovely 1mbit upstream and my PC getting a bit long in the tooth (i5-3570k, 660ti, a good few years old), I just hosted a 4-player game and everyone said it was lag free. Also 60fps solid even on the first Hector beach-invasion mission.

EDF has found its home.