Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

I actually imported 5 and played through it a couple of weeks ago. Those wing diver lasers are terrible beyond belief. Also there are in fact weapons that you can charge up to do more damage, like one of the close combat wing diver weapons which shoots one beam for anywhere from 9-9000 damage depending on how much of a charge you give it. There are also some weapons that change the firing arc based on the amount of charge, with some of the lightning snipers being 90 degree cones at low charge and pixel perfect snipers at full charge.I went through probably half the game with one that I could spam quickly up close for weak stuff but charge up to kill strong stuff from a distance.

I can't wait till this is translated because the end game gets... weird... even for an edf game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

I'm just excited to play more EDF. I'll also enjoy having english 5 since I don't know ANY Japanese and it would be nice to know what some of the missions are before going in and such :v:

I assume that the japanese save won't carry over to the english version, which means I am going to get to drag my parents, who are WAY into the series, through some of the later missions with low level weapons again. They have a lot of trouble with the mothership since my dad swears by the stampede and my mom loves lock on missiles. Neither of which works super great against something so far away that you struggle to hit it with some sniper rifles :v:

They are still surprisingly good at the game for nearly 70 year olds. They have completed half the game on inferno by themselves, dragging me over to help out when they get stuck on a level :3:

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Enjoy them while you can because in 5 almost all of the wing divers lasers suck rear end. 90% of them have the "damage lowers as clip empties" gimmick.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

One of the missions where you fight nothing but bees, an EDF trooper yells, "Here comes those birdlike creatures!" so uh...

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

nnnotime posted:

Great, thanks for the info. I'll be on the lookout for the MLRA 30.

I'm sure this was reported here when EDF 5 was first released last year, but EDF 5 is much more difficult than before, at least for the Fencer. On the first Drone level it was too tough for Normal difficulty, so I had to drop it down to Easy.

I'm not sure if because the starting weapons and armor are weaker than in EDF 4 or if the starting enemies are stronger, or both.

It's definitely _not_ because I'm an unskilled noob, so don't even say it. :nono:

Fencer in general is just not as strong as he used to be. They definitely buffed ranger and air raider, and nerfed fencer and wing diver. When you get some of the later weapons for fencer it helps, but most of his melee weapons are pretty not great now, mostly due to changes in how the boosts and such work.

Edit: Also the fall-off damage change takes chainguns and assault rifles from crazy good to decent at best too. I think wing diver is the one who go hit worst though, between sniper weapons being either TERRIBLE damage (like level 80 lasers doing 3 damage) or eating your entire energy bar, having the lovely "Reload every quarter of the bar or the damage tanks" mechanic on all the non terrible damage lasers, and the assault rifleish things being a loving HAZARD to use, she is only really left with the explosives which do pretty pitiful damage with weird curves, melee weapons of varying usefulness, and the really really good lightning weapons that sometimes kill you.

Tellaris fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 19, 2018

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Air raider is my favorite class, and I complete almost every level with it whenever I play, but holy poo poo I wish they would give us more underground options :negative:
Like I don't know, the drill missiles someone suggested earlier, its just so boring to have to cut down your weapon selection by almost 70% and god forbid you want a non-spider vehicle.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

RoyalScion posted:

Thankfully there aren't too many tunnel missions, I think there's around 10 at most.

Yeah this is probably one of my favorite changes, they pared down the tunnel missions A TON. They kept a lot of the more memorable ones like the ambush in a crossway, and didn't bring back my least favorite mission, the underground queen ant hunt.

It was a fine and dandy world building thing, but it was WAY too long.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

I wasn't really enjoying iron rain until I hit around level 10, and the game started throwing out more unusual weapons and the fencer analogue. Dual wielding railguns is fun as hell, same for laser swords.

Also I enjoyed the laser rifle that was a shotgun, rocket launcher, or sniper depending on how long you charged it.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

The crawler in 6 feels way jankier since every pebble in the road jerks you around. Drone air raids underground are both hilarious and insanely dangerous as they love to get stuck on the overhead rocks and stuff and just pelt the surrounding area with their payloads. The drones are also crazy strong in general, though there are certain enemies that can give drone users real problems. My go-to drones fly up to the enemies then magdump a shotgun into their face point blank and can rack up some serious damage while my backpack slot drones function like a turret that follows me and stunlocks anything that gets close.

I can't wait for the English version so I can actually understand what's going on.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Also the enemy flamethrower drones are the goddamn worst.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

While turrets go to the rangers, the air raider gets like 4 different flavors of drone-turrets.

They have drones that sit on your shoulder and shoot at enemies that get near, and still function in vehicles, making them basically better turrets.

They also have a line that when you drop them they follow the path you walk and shoot where you look which can be very strong.

Then there's the drones that you drop and they just shoot in the direction you were looking when you dropped them.

Lastly is the fire/laser drones that you drop and they just chase the closest enemies, which can be strong but are a bit slow for most drones and can struggle with fast enemies.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

One of my favorite touches so far in 6 (just over 60% done) is the menu music and background changing depending on the current arc.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

The song is definitely in the same style as 5 (rip edf deploys) though there is at least one interesting variant on it I've heard... but I don't speak Japanese so :shobon:

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

In 6 the divers get a grenade slot that can have lightsaberish melee weapons and these floating shields that block all shots/enemy shots. You can do some weird stuff as diver now.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Playing through the English dub of 6 slowly with my parents and I gotta say, I was a bit worried with the first couple missions but the voice acting is generally good throughout. Some of the early guys sound real terrible but it's back to great and campy later on. Some of the battle songs are hilariously downbeat too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

I first played the series and they got hooked on edf 2017 on the 360 and they have played every game since. Dad is blind in one eye and has trouble using his fingers due to stroke, but they still have been slowly working through inferno on the japanese version they had me import for them lmao. They save levels that are too hard until I come to visit.