Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ranger Vick
Dec 30, 2005

Storm One posted:

If you already have 4.1 don't get 5 now, 4.1 a better intro to the series and if you like this type of game you'll end up playing both eventually.

EDFs 5 and 6 have the worst tutorial levels of any videogame I've played and I would forgive anyone for giving up on the series entirely if their first experience with it was that. (I imagine 6's tutorials are intentionally bad on purpose, the devs just taking the piss after getting complaints re: 5)

Loot auto-pickup doesn't remove the grind, only the trade-off of "do I end this now safely or do I risk everything for a potential new weapon?" which is literally the only worthwhile thing about the loot system.

gently caress EDF's gacha, choose a mod to unlock all weapons immediately and set HP at will if such thing exists, and play the missions taking into account the online maximum weapon level and HP caps (or don't, Inferno is still challenging with all weapons unlocked).

Agreed on both counts but drop table is moot if there's a mod to unlock everything and they can just ignore fencers until they play 5.

One of my favorite parts of early EDF gameplay is trying to sneak out a victory on a high difficulty setting to get an overpowered weapon to wreck normal difficulty with. Running for your life away from an ant that can one shot you while trying to find a vehicle or npc to save you can be fun (to my broken brain that insists on overleveling in RPGs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU