Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How are the tank and decoy skins DLC? Do you get boring decoys without them?
Probably getting this game either tonight or tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
First mission was pretty intense and turning it up to hard made it a fight for survival. I probably killed half the EDF with my grenade launcher, but that was so much fun. An amazing introduction to the series.
How do you use the Ranger missile launcher? I just hold it up and the reticle keeps changing targets.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I did mission one twice. Got a couple level 0 prototypes and a grenade launcher. I tried using this Tortoise ML that fired once, almost blew myself up since it dropped right above my foot and went flying slowly, switched to the grenade launcher and got awesome explosions. Everyone was dead during the final wave on Hard and the ants chased me for a block. Ended up with about 8 new weapons up to level 18, including an even better grenade launcher and what looked like a Fat Man from Fallout NV.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Samurai Sanders posted:

I loving love the tortoise series. Anyway, you probably should keep at least one non-explosive weapon equipped at all times.
I'll bring my anime decoys.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Sage Grimm posted:

Nah, Rangers are more there as the average guy. All his weapons tend to be decent reload times but they won't wow you with relative DPS or flashy effects when compared to the other classes. He's there, he's consistent and his loadouts reflect that.

Big rockets are more a Fencer + Air Raider guidance laser thing. Or an Air Raider Call For Support thing.

As a Wing Diver you're automatically the person pulling everyone's bacon out of the fire. If you're standing from a distance attempting to snipe, you're not playing Wing Diver Right. :colbert:
Rangers also drive vehicles that another class can call in. Go jack someone's ride.

Samurai Sanders posted:

The decoys sure disappointed me. All they are to the enemy AI is another player, not inherently any more attractive to enemies than an actual player, only even the strongest ones are vastly more fragile.
They killed the animes! EDF! EDF!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Lodin posted:

Jim Sterling just posted an interesting article on his site. He of all people, who loves Dynasty Warriors and such, obviously should love EDF. Yet he hates it and it breaks his heart.
http://www.thejimquisition.com/i-dont-like-that-i-dont-like-earth-defense-force/
Sever.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Asset flippers are devs who buy packs of unity assets, plug them in to a half-baked framework for a game over the course of a couple days, then toss the result onto steam for a quick buck.

They used to be pretty noticeable back after Steam's standards were lowered but before Valve revamped the storefront to avoid people getting suckered in by that kind of stuff.
Is that why games now have a minimum price even during a big discount?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Air Raider certainly is a support class. It does allow for massive explosions right at the start of the game. The vehicles take some getting used to, but it does provide a meat shield for people looking to get health while in the vehicle. Where do I see this credits thing and do early enemies give you very little?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Robo Reagan posted:

So is it me or is Air Raider best by default? Maybe Fencer but I haven't played it. Hard to beat tanks and helis on demand. I wanted to like wing diver but it doesn't feel beefy enough for a game like this.
I was very disappointed in the Air Raider at the start until I got something to go with anime decoys. I apparently barely scratched the kinds of fun things available to them as well. Now back to Wing Diver and getting something that won't drain my battery.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How do I fire a Phoenix 1 missile using a Fencer? I just see this big red square.
Why can't I boost with a Fencer? I just have this dumb little jump.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That cleared up several questions. The energy weapons for Wind Diver don't make sense. A laser gun barely uses energy and 1400 shots, but the chart says 29% drain. The sniper weapons also seem to cause single digit damage.
I tried Hardest mode in mission 2 and got a level 0 gun. Rather pissed off, but the game is telling me to group up.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That gun is amazing and works when you can't fly. Class is fun when you have a decent gun.
Air Raider is also promising now that I have a spider bot and something called a Balam, also healing decoys. I can finally be the support character I wanted.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

SilverMike posted:

Man, Cheat Engine is such a nice solution to the armor grind. Just tell the system you picked up 1000 armor boxes in a mission and be set for a while until you need to hit Hardest or Inferno.
How do you do that?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

dis astranagant posted:

There's a table on the cheat engine forums that does it.
Thanks for that. Just changed the armor in seconds.

World of Final Fantasy is looking good.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 24, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Just deployed a Titan that finally became available at the last minute of a mission. It is too... drat... big...
I knocked over three buildings from the recoil of one shot.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You know you have it working when the values are displayed correctly and updates in the game. The values are based on the number of armor crates you picked up for that class. Still follows the class-based pickup ratio.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 24, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

InfinityComplex posted:

Hmm, Cheat Engine is actually bundled with Malware.

I guess that's the price of ignoring the armour grind.
Don't click to download it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

oscarthewilde posted:

The problem is I can't seem to activate it: when I click the square nothing happens, it stays unclicked.
Square only opens the next layer if there are others. Did you click the flashing icon and clicked the game itself?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
For some reason, turning on both Fencer Flame Revolver D's make me shoot in the sky and it is impossible to aim down.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I would like Big O music to play when using the Balam.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Inzombiac posted:

What's an okay mission to farm armor?
Not really looking forward to doing every mission on every difficulty with every class (BECAUSE I loving WILL)
Use Cheat Engine.

A fanmade patch came out that addresses the DPI scaling bug. It worked for me.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/410320/discussions/0/359543951725477983/

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I still don't have the weapons to make the Fencer useful. Should probably do all my missions with just him until a javelin drops.

I enjoy having weapons that end up desaturating the screen while I kill bugs. It is such a weird thing to see.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Looks like those various claymore mines don't work if you drop them on cobwebs. Being Air Raider is such a chore, I might make him my Coop class of choice and not for solo.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So I'm doing pretty well on Normal but it seems like I'm just getting my rear end handed to me on Hard. I can't even get past the last wave of the first mission, because I just can't do enough damage to keep the ants from doing that rush-grab thing that eats a third of your health, and dodging is a no-go because it's basically the ant version of bullet hell. I'm playing Ranger; are there any pro-strats I'm possibly ignoring?

e: noteworthy, I'm only on like mission 10 on Normal, though, so maybe I just need to farm more weapons and armor.
The grenade launcher with 4 nades and its hard mode counterpart with 12, pretty much provide everything I needed for a Ranger.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is there a fast way to destroy webs or do I need Hardest-tier weapons? I feel obligated to destroy every neabry building so those spiders won't build another web that takes forever to destroy.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Where did they come up with the anime decoys?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I lost two tanks from some overpass. I tried destroying them, but spiders. One flipped over.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Oh please you can't hurt civilians anyway

I don't think the aliens could either. Should have handed out guns during the invasion.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Can you play split-screen online in this? It'd be really rad to take a second player online too.
Yes.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

T.G. Xarbala posted:

When I first saw that post I assumed they asked "is it possible to do split-screen multiplayer?" and didn't see anything weird about Scalding Coffee's reply because my brain wordfilters online to multiplayer

Thanks, internet
There is a difference? Did I get it wrong?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Inzombiac posted:

Do different classes gain different amounts of armor from the boxes?
Ranger seemed to get 1 for 1 but Sky Princess seems to be 1 for 4.
I don't have exact numbers, but Fencer gets a few decimal points more than half per pickup, the other two get a few decimal points below half, while the girls get a quarter.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is there a list of what weapon combinations allow you to boost cancel with Fencer?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Didn't know Hard Gay made an appearance in the commercials for this game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Inzombiac posted:

WhooooooOOOOOOO!
Yes.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Got to the mission (12?) where the genocide weapon is scripted to be used on the aliens that shortly leads to a 5000% increase in drones in the area. Picture accurately portrays my method of escaping the drones. I switched to Air Raider and strapped Zer guns on my Vegeta and got the hell out of there. Never saw such a clusterfuck of aircraft bouncing off each other outside of making ransom runs in EVE Online.

edit: Seems there are genocide weapons the player can use.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 28, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Psycho Landlord posted:

The big thing about the revolvers is that they pierce and the flames are usually large enough to fill a tunnel, so even if you're shooting at the ceiling it will clear the area in front of you. I wouldn't ever take them outside of a tunnel mission though. They also have a tendency to roast your teammates, which is bad because a fencer getting flanked in a tunnel because he set all of his AI meatshields on fire means a pretty quick game over.
Dash in far ahead of the group. Got it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Vakal posted:

I'm really trying hard to enjoy the ranger class, but the mid level weapon drops just seem so... lackluster.

Ranger: "Hey, I found a new sniper rifle that does 50 more damage at the cost of half the clip size. Yay!"

Wing Diver: "I found a sniper rifle that fires 20 bolts of lightning that pierces through entire ant mobs."

Ranger: "Oh yeah, well my new shotgun has 6 more pellets per shot and only takes twice as long to reload!"

Wing Diver: "What was that? I couldn't hear you over my chainsaw made of giant lasers that can stun lock a group of hectors to death in 5 seconds."

Ranger: :suicide:
I just picked up the Doom super shotgun for the Ranger. I don't see the problem.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is anyone else looking for places where you can drop sentries on vehicles? I want to make my vehicles look more awesome and survive swarms, but I am having a hard time finding the right spots I can jump to and place sentries. A list would be a great help.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

VulgarandStupid posted:

Fencers, as it turn out, can't jump on a tree to farm Crimson... I'm just going to leave it at that.
Ever tried to split screen with an Air Raider and use their vehicles to climb a tree?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

abraxas posted:

Can anyone give me a quick and dirty newbie guide to this? I'm up to mission ~20 and have mostly been playing as ranger but I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

I'm doing fine on the missions but a lot of the time it feels like I leave a thousand pick ups behind because some ant died on the other end of the world and I don't want to dodge roll all the way over there before I kill the last ant and get the mission over screen. Also the red pick ups, armor I guess, what purpose do they really serve? After the first level it seemed like they increased my max hp but after that nothing (obvious) changed at all.

The weapon drops are kind of annoying too because I just get a ton of dupes all the time but I assume that's just the nature of the game.

It says rangers can ride vehicles but can I call them in somehow or do I just get them as part of a mission? I've tried via the voice menu but I'm apparently too stupid to figure this game out. It really feels like I'm missing huge parts.

Just assume you're explaining things to an idiot who's never played an EDF game before (aka me)
The loading screens answered most of your questions.