Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's not like they were from dangerous play or overly vicious tackles. The timing is just terrible.

goatface fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

stavros880 posted:

Who do you think is getting called up to replace Webb and Halfpenny?

Mike Phillips, Dan Evans.

JoeSchmoe
Jul 17, 2003

Am I able to pick a new nationality for the next 6-8 weeks please?

So disheartening to watch.

On the other hand, up close there is no hiding from the fact that Parisse is a world class talent.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

JoeSchmoe posted:

Everyone gets one free Nationality Switch, but you can only switch to countries with the same colour flag.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

JoeSchmoe posted:

Only if you switch to England.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Dual nationality :smug: a shame they are both northern hemisphere...

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Sadly my heritage is stuck with Italy and Scotland...

Piss.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

New Zealand. :smug:

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Do you have a second team when NZ do the traditional bottling it in the knockout stages? ;)

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 7, 2015

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Who's your second team once Scotland capitulate in the pool stage?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Read the previous posts. I've no illusions about how hosed the teams I follow are.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

goatface posted:

It's not like they were from dangerous play or overly vicious tackles. The timing is just terrible.

True, but I guess I watch enough contact sports to know that putting your first team out in non competitive fixtures leads to bad things happening. Sucks for the people at the venue to watch players fight over being second rung, but keeping your first team healthy is the most important thing.

I'm absolutely not saying that we did anything wrong based on how these games are played, but I think bucking the trend would've been a better choice. And I know hindsight etc etc but I would've said this last week too. Maybe friendlies should have more substitutes allowed so you can give your primary guys some reps while not keeping them on the field for the entire game time where, unfortunately, poo poo happens.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Any word on Halfpenny's knee? Hoping it's just a sprain and can work through it over the next two weeks.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm absolutely not saying that we did anything wrong based on how these games are played, but I think bucking the trend would've been a better choice. And I know hindsight etc etc but I would've said this last week too. Maybe friendlies should have more substitutes allowed so you can give your primary guys some reps while not keeping them on the field for the entire game time where, unfortunately, poo poo happens.

Maybe I'm missing something, but is there such a thing as an international friendly in Rugby? I mean, when Wales play Italy, isn't it a Test, and therefore governed by normal Test rules?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm sure I saw these games were referred to as World Cup warm up friendlies, is that not the case? I honestly don't know the rules that govern these things.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm sure I saw these games were referred to as World Cup warm up friendlies, is that not the case? I honestly don't know the rules that govern these things.

Again, I'm not 100% sure, but I think they're called friendlies simply because they are in preparation for the WC. I know that Taqele Nayarovoro's appearance for Australia against the US locked him in to the Wallabies, and I'd argue Australia vs USA is more "friendly" than Wales vs Italy.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I always assumed it was like soccer, where 'friendly' matches just mean they aren't part of a larger competition so the results don't count towards anything.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
But they do count. Because rugby is not soccer.

If the Eagles had (miraculously) beaten the Wallabies yesterday you can bet Australia would not be ranked #2 anymore, nor would USA still be #16.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that was my understanding too and why injuries suffered in those games hurt so much. I don't have good sports brain so shouldn't pretend to have any answers for problems like this, but I just feel if you can cycle more players on and off the pitch in a match where results essentially mean nothing other than pride, you can reduce both overall injuries and especially ones to top tier players.

E: well above post answers that then I guess. Just makes it feel even more ridiculous that there's competitive matches mere weeks before world tournaments, especially when there's already problems with rankings changing so much that you have Wales, England and Australia in one group.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vaders Jester posted:

Do you have a second team when NZ do the traditional bottling it in the knockout stages? ;)

Japan. :smith:

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Vaders Jester posted:

Ireland - although they are likely to do similar.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Unimpressed posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but is there such a thing as an international friendly in Rugby? I mean, when Wales play Italy, isn't it a Test, and therefore governed by normal Test rules?

Shane Williams' talked about them in his autobiography, so they do happen behind closed doors. In the run up to a World Cup, everyone wants to practice drills and plays that are developed specifically for use against a certain team in the group, so they'll try and arrange a training match against a team who play a similar style to their upcoming opponents.

Shane's experience was being on the fringe of the Wales squad at a time when they couldn't find a suitable team to train against for a Namibia (?) match, so they assembled a crack team of Welsh kids to pretend to be Namibia, and constantly make stupid mis-plays, even when they had the chance to score.

A staff member of The Ospreys was trying to explain the Wales vs Ospreys friendly to me a week or two ago. It was a full contact game, but certain things like challenging for the ball in the air were forbidden. Kicks counted for nothing, and points could only be scored by scoring a try. Wales won 3-1

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
That's just like practice squad play in American Football, then. They scout opposing teams and try to put together a copy of their playbook, and then train against that team's playstyle. It's not a game, it's just a scrimmage that's part of practice.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If there's a traditional open trophy between two teams it's still on the line (though playing a match like that as warm-up would be suicidal).

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

The problem is that injuries happen at the worst times and you can't predict them at all. I've seen players in the NFL tear their knee ligaments in training sessions without getting touched and what happened to Webb was something of a freak accident. The speed and intensity of matches might increase the chance of injury but they can happen any time and you can't really stop that. :(

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Well gently caress, Halfpenny's out.

Rhys Webb's injury looked worse, so I doubt he'll be playing either.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Plucky Brit posted:

Well gently caress, Halfpenny's out.

Rhys Webb's injury looked worse, so I doubt he'll be playing either.

:smith: Poor bloke, that's awful. Got to hope Liam Williams come back in decent form.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Does he have enough time to grow some idiotic facial hair?

edit - Eugh, ruptured ACL. That is bad times.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Wales woke up this morning to the realisation that the entire World Cup rests on Liam Williams' shoulders :{

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
How many more players does Lone Surviving Rhys need to hex before he's first choice?

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Poor Halfpenny, genuinely gutted for him and the world cup will be poorer for not having one of test rugby's best players playing. There's always a risk of your best players getting injured but it must be better than going into the World Cup cold and unprepared.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Poor Halfpenny, genuinely gutted for him and the world cup will be poorer for not having one of test rugby's best players playing. There's always a risk of your best players getting injured but it must be better than going into the World Cup cold and unprepared.

Both he and Webb seem like genuinely decent blokes, so it's a real shame for them. I can't imagine either of them not making the Lions in 2017 though (assuming they come out of the injuries as hot as when they went in), so at least once the current heartbreak fades they'll have something to be able to work towards and look forwards to.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They might be fully mobile in 6 months if the surgery goes well, but they'll be off those legs for a lot of it.

Assuming Webb's isn't worse.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Tyma posted:

Wales woke up this morning to the realisation that they won't qualify out of their group

fixed it for you.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Well in fairness, that morning was the day they announced the groups. Yesterday was just the realisation it's now not going to be close.

But hey, maybe we'll get lucky on the day(s) and somehow things go our way. We've lost players before, but yeah it's a massive kick in the teeth.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Mike Phillips and Eli Walker replace Rhys Webb and Leigh Halfpenny.

Let's just revert everything back to Welsh Rugby Plan A : 'Ruin it for England somehow'

Tyma fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 8, 2015

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Tyma posted:

Let's just revert everything back to Welsh Rugby Plan A : 'Ruin it for England somehow'

A sound plan!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The whole country can unite over that one.

Didn't people complain about the old BBC Wales adverts that were anti-English? The one time the beeb actually do something good and we're not allowed to enjoy it.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Obviously Halfpenny's a big loss but not as catastrophic as it's being made out to be. Biggar's a brilliant goal kicker and Liam Williams plays really well in Gatland's team as long as he doesn't get himself cited.

I think Rhys Webb will end up being missed more, he was on a whole other level to any of the other scrum halves in the squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Swan Curry posted:

I think Rhys Webb will end up being missed more, he was on a whole other level to any of the other scrum halves in the squad.

I think Gareth Davies is on par with Rhys Webb, but hasn't had the advantages of playing with Biggar for over 5 years, or being included in as many Wales training camps.

I think the real problem *is* Halfpenny, because it forces both Liam Williams and Matthew Morgan into the full-back role, bumping Priestland upto second-in-command, and forcing us to play either Cuthbert or Walker on the wing. Both are in terrible form, and were never anywhere near international quality to begin with.

I wish they'd gone with Dan Evans are full-back, and Liam Williams on the wing :{

• Locked thread