Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

First, we wear the necklace and force Brin to marry an Ixionite to resolve to resolve the war. Then we impolitely turn down Talarist's betrothal. Banion is then annoyed enough to ask us for a dance at the ball, which implies Elodie is having an affair with Banion. I believe we've already seen these scenes, so I'm not going to show them. As to why we accept the dance:

That's because I intend to marry you.

You're powerful, experienced, and sneaky. I think we could make a good match. But for now, I intend to dance.

Next week...

The Duke of Maree has sent you a gift.

An engagement present?

You open the box to reveal a little glass figure of a dancing girl, her hands held above her head.

You perch the figure on a shelf where she can catch the light.

Pretty.

We then choose to have our agents focus on foreign threats Later, after we take the lumen crystal from the man claiming to be possessed...

You detach a battalion of soldiers to guard the border between Sedna and Elath. If he tries anything, you'll be prepared.

We send Adair to his grandfather. which of course causes Adair to be killed. When Elodie is informed of his death:

(The Earl of Ishtar's first wife and oldest daughter also died under mysterious circumstances.)

(Officially, an accident, but there were rumors it was agents from Talasse. Then his other daughter married young and died giving birth to Adair. With Adair dead, the only family he has left is his second wife and their son Connor, who's fifteen.)

Talasse is moving against us, aren't they?

We have to protect our border. Send some soldiers west in case Talasse tries to invade.

A battalion will set out at once.

We then name a Novan heir, to further infuriate Talarist. Next week

I have more unpleasant news. Soldiers belonging to the Duke of Sedna have attempted to cross the border into Elath, but were chased off by your patrols.

Good thing I put soldiers there earlier!

The crisis is averted for now, but relations with Talasse are likely to be strained in the future.

The epilogue scenes we got in this playthrough which we haven't seen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

This image perfectly sums up the experience of playing Long Live the Queen for the first time.

Muraena
Feb 18, 2013

Justice. Honor. Anime~
Could've been a good thread title.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Muraena posted:

Could've been a good thread title.

It might be more accurate than what we have now, but can it possibly top the one we have now?

I think not.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Wait, what's this about a flower boy? Did I miss something?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

mauman posted:

Wait, what's this about a flower boy? Did I miss something?

I'm not entirely sure to what it refers to either. Does anyone reading this know?

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)

MegaZeroX posted:

Oh right. :doh: I always chose a different suitor, as I forgot that it was part of attempting to marry Talarist. Thanks for that mismacloud! Next: pissing of Talarist so much he sends troops into Nova!

CHiRAL posted:

I think you need to pick him as your future husband as well after all of that to make the epilogue appear. Basically piss him off as much as possible and then try to court him anyway :D
Silly me, I assumed Mega was already selecting him for marriage. :) Guess not!

MegaZeroX posted:

I'm not entirely sure to what it refers to either. Does anyone reading this know?
I assumed the young boy from the magic mirror epilogue is actually really Joslyn's illegitimate son and he's the flower boy in the Banion epilogue as I don't think younger, unnamed boys come up anywhere else.

Joslyn already having a secret son as his heir might explain why he doesn't remarry by default too.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

miasmacloud posted:

I assumed the young boy from the magic mirror epilogue is actually really Joslyn's illegitimate son and he's the flower boy in the Banion epilogue as I don't think younger, unnamed boys come up anywhere else.

Joslyn already having a secret son as his heir might explain why he doesn't remarry by default too.

I was assuming the flower boy was Banion's son, and Banion revealed his parentage to embarrass Elodie (i.e. "I've been your kept man for how many years, and yet, behold, I had a life of my own too").

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

zonohedron posted:

I was assuming the flower boy was Banion's son, and Banion revealed his parentage to embarrass Elodie (i.e. "I've been your kept man for how many years, and yet, behold, I had a life of my own too").

I understood this as well, but the whole thing could've been better explained, honestly.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Hanako is now taking suggestions for a new plot update for LLtQ! All suggestions can be submitted via Hanako games' forums here.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Just read through this LP. MegaZeroX and all the other contributors, you all did a great job! I've heard this game was interesting, but I had no idea it was this deep and complex. I think playing this game would drive me insane.

(By the way, the "Angering Talarist" link in the OP goes to the last post on the page, not the Angering Talarist post.)

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Solumin posted:

Just read through this LP. MegaZeroX and all the other contributors, you all did a great job! I've heard this game was interesting, but I had no idea it was this deep and complex. I think playing this game would drive me insane.

(By the way, the "Angering Talarist" link in the OP goes to the last post on the page, not the Angering Talarist post.)

Thank you! It should be fixed now.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
So you can get this game on The Humble Bundle this week for like 1$ and if you bring it up to 8$ you get Hatoful boyfriend too.
And then there's the Husbandove pillowcase for 35$ :syoon:

Best bundle ever pretty much (even though the other games are pure poo poo)

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

CHiRAL posted:

So you can get this game on The Humble Bundle this week for like 1$ and if you bring it up to 8$ you get Hatoful boyfriend too.
And then there's the Husbandove pillowcase for 35$ :syoon:

Best bundle ever pretty much (even though the other games are pure poo poo)

Whoa, don't be talkin' poo poo about Analogue: A Hate Story. Though that pillowcase is obviously defective, what's that picture of a human doing on there

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Analogue and Hate Plus are pretty drat good stories, and the dating elements are pretty sideline to that anyways.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Wait, Humble Bundle is literally selling an anime gently caress pillow? :gonk:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

we live in the best of times

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

I don't think that's the intended use, but yes. :)

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

If it's from Hatoful, isn't it an anime gently caress pillow of a bird? Is that less or more offensive?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Raitzeno posted:

If it's from Hatoful, isn't it an anime gently caress pillow of a bird? Is that less or more offensive?

The important question is: is it more or less offensive than a cyberdwarf body pillow?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Since this thread got bumped anyway, would anyone be interested in seeing the stuff that got added in the latest content update?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Ephemeron posted:

Since this thread got bumped anyway, would anyone be interested in seeing the stuff that got added in the latest content update?

Sure, sounds good.

Muraena
Feb 18, 2013

Justice. Honor. Anime~

Ephemeron posted:

Hell yeah!

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
^^^That.

HellCopter posted:

Whoa, don't be talkin' poo poo about Analogue: A Hate Story. Though that pillowcase is obviously defective, what's that picture of a human doing on there

Neopie posted:

Analogue and Hate Plus are pretty drat good stories, and the dating elements are pretty sideline to that anyways.

I'm actually not familiar with either, went by a friend's word v:shobon:v

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Remember the spy/musician who can keep a set of dangers in the air? She has her own portrait and dossier now:

If we recruit her as our spymaster, we get a chance to talk to her the next week:

Your Highness, thank you again for the opportunity.
Yes, yes. Now: what have you heard on your travels? What are people saying about me?
I haven't yet had the chance to play at many noble courts, although I intend to.
You have the support of common people, but not their love. Not yet.

Depending on common approval, the last line can vary from...

Your kindness has already won the hearts of the common folk of Nova. They will follow you wherever you lead.

to:

I'm afraid you are not well-liked by the common people of Nova. I've even heard rumours about you kicking a puppy down the stairs.
(Test: Cruelty -> Success) (Well...)

Of course, with me at your side, your popularity can only increase. Never underestimate the power of music.

The first potential opportunity for her to demonstrate her skill may occur the next week. If you sent your agents to look out for noble plots and they came back with news of Arisse's plotting, you get a new option:

You summon your musician, which is to say, your spy.

Travel to other noble courts. Try to find out what Arisse's grievance is, and how dangerous it might be.
We'll see who dances to her tune.

Two weeks later, she returns back to you. At that point, if you haven't pissed off the nobles too much:

Your Highness, the Duchess of Lillah is like a shepherdess whose favorite lamb has gone astray.
You mean Adair?
In her eyes, you have stolen her child to make him your family's plaything.
It is a personal grudge. I do not know whether your nobles would consider that worth rebellion.
(Probably not, as long as nothing happens to Adair).

If you did make too many enemies among the nobility:

Your Highness, the Duchess of Lillah is a popular woman. More popular, in many quarters, than you yourself.
A wise mother. An experienced leader. And known to be ruthless enough to make hard choices.
(Test: Internal Affairs -> Success) (Like killing her own family?)
If you can't change the way your nobles see you, they may not be your nobles for long.
(They'd really rebel against me?)
That's all I can tell you, Your Highness.
(Arisse... she's the real threat).
(Test: Strategy -> Success) (Or a real asset).

And this unlocks another new option:

(To be continued)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ephemeron posted:

I'm afraid you are not well-liked by the common people of Nova. I've even heard rumours about you kicking a puppy down the stairs.
(Test: Cruelty -> Success) (Well...)

Nova's little Angel. :allears:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
If there's one thing I would have loved to see, it would be Elodie using her knowledge of Novan Lore and mastery of Lumen magic to remake the Empire. It could be done, in the game's world -- enough Lumen crystals still exist, and Lumen potentials are scattered throughout the kingdom. All it would take is a monarch with the guts to gather together the Lumen crystals and grant their power to willing servants.

We could lead an excursion into the lost palace at Kathre Lake, not to plunder it, but to conquer it and re-subjugate its summoned monsters. We could exterminate the Novan nobility, pitting the various dukes and duchesses in magical duels against upstart peasants gifted with Lumen potential; the winner would retain title to the holdings. We could plunge the world into a new Dark Age of Magic, with Lumens holding the powers of gods and goddesses, ruling through magical terror.

Elodie could gently caress this world to a point that only a second Doomshadow would stop her. It's just a matter of whether Elodie can connect the dots.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

If there's one thing I would have loved to see, it would be Elodie using her knowledge of Novan Lore and mastery of Lumen magic to remake the Empire. It could be done, in the game's world -- enough Lumen crystals still exist, and Lumen potentials are scattered throughout the kingdom. All it would take is a monarch with the guts to gather together the Lumen crystals and grant their power to willing servants.

We could lead an excursion into the lost palace at Kathre Lake, not to plunder it, but to conquer it and re-subjugate its summoned monsters. We could exterminate the Novan nobility, pitting the various dukes and duchesses in magical duels against upstart peasants gifted with Lumen potential; the winner would retain title to the holdings. We could plunge the world into a new Dark Age of Magic, with Lumens holding the powers of gods and goddesses, ruling through magical terror.

Elodie could gently caress this world to a point that only a second Doomshadow would stop her. It's just a matter of whether Elodie can connect the dots.

Or make a proper Golden Age by the same means. Power is not necessarily doom-and-gloom.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Bout time the musician got a portrait. Considering how much you can do with her and how often she pops up, I was always surprised she didn't have one to begin with.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Two weeks later, Elodie checks her mail. Along with Briony's letter and an invitation to Gwynelle's birthday party, she finds...

(Oh! A letter from the Duchess of Lillah!)
(Test: Court Manners -> Fail)
Apparently she is unimpressed with your writing skills. She declined your invitation.
(Well, she's still going to be at Gwynelle's party, right? I have another chance.)

If we don't fail that Court Manners check:

(Test: Court Manners -> Success) (She agrees to speak with me if we can meet in neutral territory, like Sudbury.)

Either way, if we go to the birthday party next week and survive the bandit ambush (if there is one) somehow, we get to meet Arisse:

As the day progresses, you manage to separate the Duchess of Lillah from her crowd of relatives and well-wishers.

I know I've made mistakes. I'm trying to fix them.

Alternatively, if we didn't flub the Court Manners check earlier:

I must admit, I was surprised to receive your invitation. Many young people are eager to prove that they need no guidance.

I'm not my mother. I wish I could be. I wish she were here.
But this isn't only about me. It's about Nova, and doing what's best.
This is a difficult time for everyone. The domain needs stability. For that, we need to work together.
I have one condition. You must agree to marry one of my sons.
Thaddeus is closest to your age. He is not present today, however.
(I know Thaddeus. He's probably in too much trouble at school to be allowed to travel!)

If we refuse, the negotiations are over (and we'll probably have a civil war next week).

Otherwise:

If that's what's required for the good of Nova, then I accept.
Very well.
I will come to stay with you at your palace and serve as your advisor for a time, until the succession is stable.
However, advice is only useful if you listen to it. Take no action without first consulting me.
You should also inform me of any decisions you have made recently.

You quickly explain what you have been doing in the past few months.

Oh, and I just had this strange conversation with Briony...
I think I had better have a talk with my granddaughter.

If we actually agreed to go on the adventure:

Oh, and I told Briony I'd help her research the Old Forest.
Were you trying to get yourself and my granddaughter killed?
No.
That course of action will be cancelled at once.

Either way, the result is the same as tattling on Briony to her parents (she doesn't run away but is not happy with us).

Next week:

Elodie? The Duchess of Lillah has just arrived - with a full retinue. Do you know what this is about?
I invited her to become my new advisor.
What?
It is clear that the Crown Princess requires more guidance, for the good of all Nova.
I understand your sorrow at your wife's death. I have experience with grief. But the needs of the domain cannot wait.
Where's Thaddeus? If we're going to be married, shouldn't we meet and talk?
Thaddeus is a fragile boy. He is unwell at the moment.

'Fragile' is not the word you would ordinarily use to describe Thaddeus. Angry, unpredictably violent, often in trouble, and a terrible scholar... but not 'fragile'. Still, it was a bargain you made.

Your Grace, while I appreciate your loyal service to your monarch, I am not certain that...
It was my decision. It was the right thing to do.
I need her help. I need yours, too.
...Of course.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Arisse is not the only new face we can encounter at Gwynelle's birthday party.
If we gave Bennett land, he'll be here as well, showing off his epic Flattery and Court Manners skills:

You need my advice.
But I need it more.
She's been waiting and training for this moment; I never expected to become a Duke. I need you by my side.
Darling, I...
I'd hate to see a mother blame her child for growing up.

The Countess looks distinctly unhappy at his words, and more so when she sees you watching them.

Kit, please look after Her Royal Highness. Your mother and I need to go sit down.
Okay. Thanks.
What was that about?
Dad ran away from home when he was my age, and his mother disowned him. Then she died while he was travelling the world.
His family never forgave him, and he never forgave them.
But I'm not running anywhere. I'm the Duchess of Sudbury now, and I have to command respect for myself.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

Magnificent. We must work on Herbs so we can revive our father. This is our highest priority now. We must revive our father.

How else could we put him on trial for secretly being a Lumen?

What do you mean?
Your father carried a crystal, but he had never bonded with it until that day when he was forced to defend you.
It must have been passed down in his family. The line of Caloris is well-educated in the lore of the past.
Had you been only his heir and not the princess of Nova, perhaps he would have taught you differently.

Why didn't you help him? If he wasn't a Lumen until just that moment, you knew he had no chance!
Why didn't you fight Togami? Isn't that what you're supposed to be here for?
Did you not listen? That man came here to claim the power of the Novan royal crystal.
Togami accepted your father's challenge because your father was the King.
Therefore he believed, incorrectly, that he had found the prize he was looking for.
My challenge would not have satisfied him.
That's just an excuse!
You have no idea what others have sacrificed in your name. Do not presume to criticise.
You live, and your crystal is safe. You make take up your powers at your coronation as planned.
Then, if you wish, we can train you in the strength you need to seek vengeance.

Become a Lumen? Do you really want to do that now?
If you had your powers, it would have been you and not your father in that duel...

No! I don't want anything to do with magic, ever!
I wish magic didn't exist...

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
If you agree to it, I assume it's the standard lumen track, but absurdly delayed?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Do it. Crazed, vengeful teenager-with-daddy-issues magic is the most powerful kind.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

If you agree to it, I assume it's the standard lumen track, but absurdly delayed?
It just determines whether Elodie accepts the crystal after the coronation (if you don't talk to your mentor or decide that you hate magic, she will refuse it).

We never get to meet Togami again:

However, there are some new Lumen-related scenes in the update.

One of them is the judgment of that renegade Lumen with a penchant for strangling people with golden chains.
It takes a very high Sense Magic to detect his true nature and directly accuse him now. On a partial success, you can consult your mentor instead:

(Julianna might be able to tell even if I can't. Her Lumen power is stronger than mine.)

I wish to consult with my advisor. Please send for the Duchess of Ursul.
... As you wish.
Your Majesty, can you not see the truth for yourself? It is your mercy that I beg, not the powers of a witch!
Does she control this castle, as well, with the demons that she summons?

Several onlookers gasp.

I rule this castle, and I expect to be obeyed.
Your Highness, I stand ready to serve -

Without warning, the Duchess of Ursul draws her sword!

What?
Elodie! Get down!

The man raises his hands, which begin to glow. The demon's power - or his own?
Before he can act, Julianna slashes her sword through the air. A wave of energy sweeps away from her blade, striking the man's upraised arms and shredding his skin.
He howls, and his fingertips elongate, forming golden chains that float through the air.

You marshal up your own powers and join Julianna in combat.
The battle is messy, but brief. Soon the condemned man lies motionless on the ground before you.
After a moment, an orange crystal materializes next to his body.

I guess I'll have to take that for safe keeping.

This is why magic is important! This is why the crown requires the power of a Lumen, to protect Nova from threats that cannot be ignored!
And why the crown requires good Lumens like the Duchess of Ursul, to train and guide us, so that we will be ready to defend you!

You suspect that only etiquette prevents the assembled court from applauding.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That's neat. I guess a lot of the update was Hanako realizing, "drat, it would have been neat if I did this or that."

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

If Selene is our magical tutor, the scene unfolds differently:

(Selene is a priestess and a Lumen. If I send him to her, she might be able to sort this out.)

You are clearly a very troubled man, whether there are demons or not.
I will send you to the priestess Selene of my royal grove, to make your confession, and await her recommendation on your case.
Bless you, Your Majesty!

Your Royal Highness has need of my services?
That man I sent to you, the one who strangled his wife - what happened to him?
The danger to Nova and yourself has been dealt with.
You killed him?
His mind has been purified, but he is not yet dead. He is in the keeping of the temple.
So... there really was a demon inside him?
His magics and his murders were of his own making. He is a Lumen, a rogue line previously unknown to me.
I have seen to it that he will never awaken. So long as his body lives, his crystal remains safely sealed.

(I've heard of exorcism rituals that force people to drink salt water until they collapse. Is that what she did to him?)
Perhaps after your coronation we will have the time to investigate. For now, you must concentrate on your studies.
If you were not able to detect his power, what other dangers might you miss?
Right.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Ephemeron posted:

The danger to Nova and yourself has been dealt with.
You killed him?
His mind has been purified, but he is not yet dead. He is in the keeping of the temple.

(I've heard of exorcism rituals that force people to drink salt water until they collapse. Is that what she did to him?)

I love Selene, and how morally ambiguous she is. :allears:

Funny to think this is what was happening all the times Elodie pardoned him, and sent him to the priestesses to be purified.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Holy...

selene is brutal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

mauman posted:

Holy...

selene is brutal
In the words of some movie character:
God has mercy. I don't.