Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah Taniguchi confirmed for heretical Lulu/CC shipper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ah, the otp

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Time to watch it again.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I love the op. It feels like something out of like, a Ghibli film.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

Level Seven posted:

Time to watch it again.

Oh are they also giving out Zero Masks at the theater? They handed out those paper masks and a poster when I saw it at Anime Boston.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Exia posted:

Oh are they also giving out Zero Masks at the theater? They handed out those paper masks and a poster when I saw it at Anime Boston.

No, I was also at AB and brought the mask for fun.

Doing the rewatch with my brother around got us to notice something weird. Chanma early on mutters it was six hours when the chaos at the prison occurred and didn't go back to fix things. Later on Lelouch figured that he time warp let he fix things up to nine hours earlier through the timing of the fixed air vents. So why didn't she fix the shitstorm at the prison if she had enough time to?

Level Seven fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 8, 2019

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Level Seven posted:

No, I was also at AB and brought the mask for fun.

Doing the rewatch with my brother around got us to notice something weird. Chanma early on mutters it was six hours when the chaos at the prison occurred and didn't go back to fix things. Later on Lelouch figured that he time warp let he fix things up to nine hours earlier through the timing of the fixed air vents. So why didn't she fix the shitstorm at the prison if she had enough time to?

Depends on which part of it. The implication, if I remember correctly, is that she may have already ordered Shestal to replace Shalio at the prison precisely because Shanma could have witnessed another outcome where her brother died by staying there during the rescue operation. Like it's also implied she probably went back in order for Shalio to capture Zero right at the start of the film.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
what was going on with the codes and geass itf. am i misremembering the symbols dont show up on your body unless you get a code? but lelouchs and shamna had geass and the symbols? and i thought codes transferred at time of death and you lost powers, so lelouch would have known? i know they said he was fractured and mixed upo, was shamna as well?. also shirley being alive was super lame, but from the wiki that seems to be a movie continuity thing? so dumb

Relin fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 9, 2019

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I remember watching this show way back in high school, good times. Awkward, but fun. I stumbled into a sequel? Or spinoff? Or something? "Akito the Exiled", any good?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Relin posted:

what was going on with the codes and geass itf. am i misremembering the symbols dont show up on your body unless you get a code? but lelouchs and shamna had geass and the symbols? and i thought codes transferred at time of death and you lost powers, so lelouch would have known? i know they said he was fractured and mixed upo, was shamna as well?. also shirley being alive was super lame, but from the wiki that seems to be a movie continuity thing? so dumb

Her being alive from the movies is just a result of having to cut the like 6 subplots that killed her to fit the movies in the first place, it makes perfect sense if you watch them. Mao, for example, doesn't exist.

And yeah no the Code/Geass combo stuff is totally new.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I remember watching this show way back in high school, good times. Awkward, but fun. I stumbled into a sequel? Or spinoff? Or something? "Akito the Exiled", any good?
Akito is a miniseries set in Europe between the seasons. It's bad but the fights are awesome.

There is however a sequel movie that was literally in theaters this week.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

People tend to bully Akito too much. There's issues and all, but I enjoyed how it tried to do new things.

I will say it's funny how in some circles the vibe is "Code Geass was lame, Akito is fine" instead.

If you can approach Akito like a standard mecha anime, you might probably like it more.

Relin posted:

what was going on with the codes and geass itf. am i misremembering the symbols dont show up on your body unless you get a code? but lelouchs and shamna had geass and the symbols? and i thought codes transferred at time of death and you lost powers, so lelouch would have known? i know they said he was fractured and mixed upo, was shamna as well?.

The movie does mention that Lelouch/Charles messed up the World of C during the Ragnarok Connection episode, which is apparently what changed the rules and allowed him to have both a Code and a Geass at the same time.

It was the leftover will/soul of Charles (after he got erased in that realm) that blocked Lelouch's soul from returning to the body...until this film, when some other souls seen in shadow helped C.C. solve the problem.

Apparently a Code doesn't activate (or become visible on the body) until you actually recover from a first death. It's not explicitly spelled out, so maybe the exact details could be different, but in either case...I did get the sense that Lelouch definitely didn't know in advance what was going to happen to him.

We get only limited data about Shamna, but she does have a Code...so she probably gained it years ago the normal way and only recovered her use of the Geass (well, an evolved/changed version of it) after the Ragnarok stuff had altered everything.

Overall, all this unclear metaphysical stuff can always be explained by simply saying "it's magic" but I thought it worked well in practice to set up the actual final fight/challenge within the context of the movie.

wielder fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 9, 2019

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
and do the combo codes not revive you? else how would shamna's geass even function? we dont see lelouch take any damage though

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Relin posted:

and do the combo codes not revive you? else how would shamna's geass even function? we dont see lelouch take any damage though

That's the main question they seem to leave hanging about Lelouch himself, at least after he recovered the first time.

What C.C. does say is she seemed to have a restricted access to the World of C near the start of the movie, so maybe there's just a limit of some sort and Lelouch might not have the seemingly endless ability to revive that C.C. showed in the TV series. I suppose the real answer will be whatever the creators find to be convenient later on.

This is open to debate, but Shanma's Geass seems to send only her mind and memories back to an earlier state, rather than actually rewinding time itself for everyone else...so I guess it creates the equivalent of a parallel "route split" in the world every time she does that? It would make sense, I think.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

"I don't want to talk about time travel because if we start talking about it then we're going to be here all day talking about it, making diagrams with straws."

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
I'm just gonna assume C.C. going to C's world and getting Lelouch's soul back might have actually fixed it all up since Shanma seems to go there and it looks fine again.

Good on the movies for getting Ohgi out of the poo poo list, making Sayoko even more of a badass, giving Kallen the much needed screentime that R2 denied her, keeping Shirley alive, and continuing to ensure that Gino is a worthless loser.

I also loved the cameos by the Oz cast and seeing Nonette still being alive was also nice, and I guess we got official confirmation that Xingke is absolutely loving dead?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah but Kallen lost the lulubowl so it was bad

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

As long as she didn't end up with Gino i'm happy. She deserves better.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Did Gino even appear I legitimately can't remember. He must have at least been a cameo almost everyone else was.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Movie was hilarious and absolutely terrible. Still kind of enjoyable but bad.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It owned. that scene where Ougi apologizes for the last act of the series and then tries to give himself a sweet neck hole is amazing

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Rody One Half posted:

Did Gino even appear I legitimately can't remember. He must have at least been a cameo almost everyone else was.

He appeared for a line at the beginning, and was in the conference with the government of the desert country with a few other black knights, pretty much being the odysseus and not having anything useful to contribute

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh right, accusation duty lol, get hosed fuckboi

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 16, 2019

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I would say the movie ended up being like a B- for me.

It was better than I had expected in some ways, particularly the character moments in general and the use of actual humor, but the big picture was quite bland despite having some legit exciting sequences.

Overall, it's a more middling level of quality than either season. I am still fairly interested in where they will go next, since the obligatory revival is done.

Ohgi really had the weirdest overreaction. I guess the staff knows the fans tend to hate him by now, so it makes some sense from that angle, but yeah. Dude, just don't do that.

wielder fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 16, 2019

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Took the opportunity to watch Glorification, I forgot about that bit where Marianne was going to doodle on Suzaku

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

The new Code Geass movie is coming out on Japanese Blu-ray in December.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2019/08/23/code-geass-lelouch-of-the-resurrection-dvdblu-ray-release-date-set-for-december-5-2019

Based on that, I assume there might be a U.S. physical release in late 2020.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Watched it. It kind of worked as a nostalgia fest, but I dont't feel it has anything more to add. And it certainly weakens some of the themes that worked in the old series. cancelling the self-sacrifice, the increasingly monstrous nature of the geass, and the overall general forgiveness for LL by everyone
Overall meh, but I'll probably watch more if the make it.

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman
Finally got around to seeing all the new movies. Made the mistake of watching the sequel movie before the compilation movies as I did not realize the compilation movies established an alternate timeline where Shirley lives, so I just stared at the screen and muttered to myself I watched you die.

The compilation movies themselves did an admirable enough job given that you can only include so many scenes and plot points when trying to condense/re-tell an entire series with just three movies. Even if there was no sequel movie to follow, I found that the new ending track helped to take away some of the sting. As much as I like Continued Story, I appreciate Ne:one for its ability to help re-center my thoughts on Lelouch's accomplishments rather than to simply mourn the loss of the character.

As for the Resurrection movie; the story was fine I suppose, but I feel that certain scenes could have had more breathing room. I though the reunion scenes with Kallen and Suzaku were fairly well done, with Kallen's being my favorite if only because we get to see the character gradually come to terms with what is happening over multiple stages.

The reunion scene with Nunnally wasn't quite as tearful as I would have expected and the scene with Cornelia definitely felt the most rushed. Had we been given another season instead of a sequel movie, I can't help but wonder what could have been done differently, especially with regards to Cornelia. As devastated as she was by Euphy's murder, I imagine that Lelouch's death helped Cornelia obtain some sense of closure. Seeing him alive again could have caused her to relapse and begin grieving anew, while giving us some of that patented Code Geass Pathos that we all crave.

Definitely curious to see what's on the horizon.

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman
:frogsiren: SOMEWHAT RECENT NEWS :frogsiren:

Code Geass Lelouch of the Re;surrection Manga Launches in April

Anime News Network posted:

The official Twitter account for Kadokawa's Comic Newtype web comic site announced on Friday that Tomofumi Ogasawara will launch a new manga titled Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection (Code Geass: Fukkatsu no Lelouch) on the website in April. The manga will premiere on the image sharing website pixiv in May. Sunrise's Kōjirō Taniguchi (Code Geass: Akito the Exiled planning manager) is credited with the scenario based on the original Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion anime series.The manga will begin with an original story that depicts the blank period leading up to the resurrection.

Between the Re;surrection manga and last year's announcement of a 10-year plan, I'm cautiously optimistic about future content for the series.

At present, there does not appear to be an official english release of the manga yet, but the first chapter is off to a great start.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

It seems that new manga has been delayed a little due to the virus craziness going around (which will probably also affect other related projects), but the first chapter was nice enough.

For those who like behind-the-scenes materials, there's been a few interesting interviews about the movie and the past/future of the property.

quote:

–How did you work over the plan for “Code Geass: Lelouch of the Resurrection”?

Okouchi: At first the idea was to make a movie with “Geass”. The so-called reboot technique which starts over the story from the beginning so that even those who haven’t seen “Geass” can understand it, another route that was supposed to pick up from “Stage 26*” onward, that was written when it was broadcasted at late night slot… etc. I tried to write a few things but in the end I thought of it in a simple way; “What people want to see, isn’t it the characters’ life afterwards?”, and so it became a sequel.

* it’s this https://rainfall.dreamwidth.org/107694.html
https://mononoke-no-ko.tumblr.com/post/183019128814/trans-writer-okouchi-interview-from-resurrection

quote:

–Please tell us the story behind Lelouch’s revival following the compilation movie trilogy.
Taniguchi: When the compilation movie trilogy was decided to be made, at the same time we also decided to release “Lelouch of the Resurrection”. For the sake of continuing the franchise from here on, we thought we should clearly settle the matter regarding this series’ world and the man named Lelouch.

–Are you saying that you felt the way the TV series (Lelouch of the Rebellion R2) ended was unfulfilling?
Taniguchi: No, that’s not it. My position that the first term and second term (“R2”) of the TV series are meant to be a completed work has not changed. However, when we view it from a perspective as a project, the circumstances slightly change. For example, if in the future someone other than me wants to make “Code Geass”, I think it will be hard for them to create new stories based on the present status. Not just limited to anime, but also when you think about other various medium such as novels, manga, games, stageplay, etc. When that situation arrives, what happen to the world after “R2”, how do the characters live their lives, how is the man named Lelouch evaluated in history, etc. The TV series ended with almost no depiction on those things at all, so it’s necessary to create some kind of logical path from there. An easy-to-understand case in point would be “Char’s Counterattack” from “Mobile Suit Gundam” series. It’s a work that gave birth to a dilemma of not being able to proceed further unless it gives some kind of closure to Amuro and Char’s fate, and I think “Lelouch of the Resurrection” also has an aspect that is similar to that. I figured it’s the responsibility of me (director) and Okouchi Ichiro (screenwriter) as the people who created this work to write that conclusion.

(...)

–On the other hand, how did you come up with other elements such as the enemy country and the new characters?
Taniguchi: I thought of drawing up existing factions such as the remnant of Holy Britannian Empire, the unexplored Knight of Rounds, or the survivor from Geass Cult, but as we were discussing about various things, we decided that it would be faster to create a new country instead. Because the new characters have to give off strong presence in such short time, I requested for versatile cast such as Toda Keiko (as Chamna), Ootsuka Akio (as Forgner) and Takagi Wataru (as Bitul). At the dubbing site, they induced a comfortable tense atmosphere like a breath of fresh air.

–Now I will ask about the story. In “Code Geass: Akito the Exiled” OVA there was a “Caretaker of Spacetime”, but this time you don’t really delve into the mystery of Code Geass worldview.
Taniguchi: If we bring the story to that direction, there’s a concern that the plot will be taken up by mystery solving instead, so this time we daringly made it about simple Geass battles. There’s only one or two themes we can include within movie length, and since the big theme of this work is “Lelouch’s resurrection”, we want fans to be able to enjoy that without getting distracted by other things. Besides, I myself am the type who thinks that the mystery of worldview isn’t really that important. To the very end the world is a device, a stage for the characters to move and come to life on, so it can be retrofitted in any way. There’s a saying “If there’s any problem, you can blame it on Getter Ray”, because it’s a method that has already been proven by Ishikawa Ken-sensei from “Getter Robo”.
https://mononoke-no-ko.tumblr.com/post/182864729964/director-taniguchi-interview-from-febri

quote:

–How did you come up with the newly appearing country, Zilkstan?
Taniguchi: We already used Asia with Chinese Federations, and aristrocatic elements have been left to Britannia. Regarding E.U., “Akito the Exiled” already touched on it. In the world power map that was in my initial draft, I turned Antarctica into a country named “Penguin Empire”, but we can’t have an empire of penguin as the enemy (laugh). Narrowing down to the areas that we haven’t done before, then around Arab or Africa. However, it seems the audience will be confused as to how to cut out certain ethnic or religion, then we might as well create a country. When the world was roughly divided into Britannia and UFN in “Imperial Road”, there were still areas that don’t belong to anywhere yet, so I figured to solidify that setting more firmly. Even though it’s a new country, I want it to have persuasive power, and the foothold have to be solid so that the fantasy element “geass” can be supported, so I built it with discussing with each staff, while consulting with concept designer Teraoka-san, Hishinuma-san from art department, and researcher Shirado-san…
https://mononoke-no-ko.tumblr.com/post/182977225429/trans-director-taniguchi-interview-from

quote:

Taniguchi: It’s one period mark, but it isn’t the end of this series. However, because I think I won’t ever make a story that centers around “Rebellious Lelouch” anymore, this time it’s “the end”. Even if he appears in the future, perhaps it will be in a different title, as something new. And toward the entirety of this project, my sentiment is “For now I’ve put it into a shape, for what comes next I’ll leave it in your hand”.

Fukuyama: We share common point of views. Although between a director and a voice actor, there’s a big difference in how much time we consume to do our work and in the nature of our responsibility, still we’re equals. Though I’m not thinking up to the possibility that “if he comes out in the future he will be some other thing in the new series”, but I am thinking what kind of face I should put on if he appears again in the future (laugh).

Taniguchi: (laugh) Well, a voice actor could do a 180 degree change after all.
https://mononoke-no-ko.tumblr.com/post/187705122579/jun-fukuyama-director-taniguchi-interview-from

quote:

Thus Lelouch was revived. What changes has this brought about?
Taniguchi: “That “Code Geass” project has now been freed from the ‘Lelouch’ spell. Lelouch is also freed from the world of “Code Geass”. I don’t know what will happen to the project from here on, he might appear in the next work as something different, or he might as well not appear at all. This is what is made possible through this “Lelouch of the Resurrection.”

If there is a new “Code Geass” project, will you be involved?
Taniguchi: “If there’s an offer, I’ll consider it. However, I don’t think I have to always be involved in the project. There shouldn’t be any “holy ground” for this project no matter what the position is. For that purpose I shouldn’t be in the “holy ground” either. The next “Code Geass” should be something that is thought about by those who will be making it. However, if I can say one thing, as a series that inherits the one genre that is born in Japanese animation scene; the robot genre, I hope “Code Geass” will keep being continued.”
https://mononoke-no-ko.tumblr.com/post/187727562714/director-taniguchi-interview-from-da-vinci

wielder fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 16, 2020

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah I don't know so much about Geass escaping Lelouch, but I'd have watched the Penguin Empire version of that movie.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I just hope for

as the ruler of the Penguin Empire

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

The penguins are already canon. Well, sorta.

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman
Perennial Tokyo Governor Candidate Cosplays Lelouch for Latest Campaign Poster

A Very Silly Article posted:

Teruki Gotō, a musician who often runs as a perennial candidate in various Japanese elections, cosplayed as the Code Geass character Lelouch Lamperouge in his latest campaign poster for the Tokyo governor election.

He showed off his poster on his YouTube channel on Saturday. The poster reads, in Lelouch's commanding tone: "I, Teruki Gotō, command you: Vote for me."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2zIz7mRkUk

A Very Silly Article posted:

In the 2016 race for governor of Tokyo, his campaign poster showed him naked while holding a katana over his head. Infamously at the time, his speeches and posters were cut from television coverage due to his verbal profanities and militaristic presentation.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Lelouch wouldn't need to command people to vote for him, as we all saw during the last episodes of R2. :colbert:

This guy also seems like he's ran for office numerous times and never gets elected, so I guess running as an anime character cosplayer is just his latest gamble.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean he seems to just be Vermin Supreme/the Loony Party, winning's not the idea.

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman
:frogsiren: Fairly Recent Manga Spoilers Technically Linked Below I Guess :frogsiren:

So I've been going through the manga CODE GEASS: Lelouch of the Rebellion Re; and it definitely appears to be set in the timeline established by the anime series. Then you get to Chapter 15 and you see things like this, and the last page makes it crystal clear that the story will continue in some fashion.

The impression I'm getting is that the Re;surrection manga is supposed to be a continuation of Re; and yet it also incorporates elements from the movie, so we may be looking at the creation of a possible third timeline.

What I'm trying to say is that Code Geass is a land of contrasts, kind of a trainwreck, still Code Geass.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Well yeah, it wouldn't be very interesting if all they did was slavishly adapt the movie into a manga without adding anything new.

But I think it's still not as complicated nor as messy as trying to explain the Fate franchise and all of its spin-offs. I've lost track of how that works.

Btw, apparently there is something planned for Lelouch's birthday according to the official Code Geass Twitter. Which is not too important, except Sunrise likes to announce new projects at events scheduled for that date.

Since we all live in the coronavirus timeline though, it may be an online presentation or something.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

they're gonna put lelouch in a gundam

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

they already did that in the SRW gacha

he's got his own model of the Wing Zero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman

wielder posted:

Well yeah, it wouldn't be very interesting if all they did was slavishly adapt the movie into a manga without adding anything new.

A manga adaptation could still add new scenes and fresh content while remaining part of the established timeline. I just find it weirdly amusing that there may already be another alternate timeline to consider, assuming that Re;surrection follows Re;.