Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
To be fair, I would say Rebuild of Evangelion is an absurdly special case because Hideaki Anno is an absurdly special person who has earned the freedom to do whatever he wants. Most film properties don't take that long between releases, so things aren't going to be too bad...at least not for the Japanese viewers.

TV anime may never completely disappear, but there is a trend where we are seeing more and more popular Japanese properties getting film sequels instead of (or in addition to) multiple seasons. Ticket sales and merchandise are apparently making enough money to compensate for the downward trend in physical media.

I think that once Funimation has figured out the dub contracts and schedules, plus gets the final nods from the Sunrise/Bandai executives, they'll try to have the entire movie trilogy + Resurrection come out in short order. I don't know if they'll even want to attempt a series of screenings or just go straight to BD/DVD at this point though. That will depend on what their business model is going to look like over the next couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Third compilation movie's finally out, but I haven't had the time to watch it.

There's a new PV for Resurrection available (new 2D robots, characters) and the premiere will be February 9:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...9-debut/.137708

wielder fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 4, 2018

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Guess that's confirmation of "one film that ends the series" right there.

Not sure how I feel about that, but at least we now know that Suzaku is piloting the Purple Shinkiro, and gets absolutely hosed because he can't keyboard wizard to victory.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Guess that's confirmation of "one film that ends the series" right there.

If you mean the text on ANN, that's still their own (recycled) paraphrasing of previous information. I wouldn't take it too literally myself. I believe what was actually said referred to the Resurrection story being self-contained and not an ongoing plot that will end on a cliffhanger or demand a direct continuation. It will be a new chapter in the lives of the characters told in around 90 to 120 minutes or so.

Based on recent interviews...I think the original staff of Code Geass does expect this movie to serve as one last grand reunion for everyone involved, cast and crew included, but also want to leave the property in a state that's more open to future expansion than R2. They've referred to the "next 10 years" of the property.

Whether Code Geass continues to exist, in some form or fashion, will depend on how this movie performs and the resulting fan interest. Let's not forget we are talking about Sunrise here. If they need to skip twenty years, go back to an earlier point in the chronology, make Lelouch a ghost or time traveler...they will do so.

quote:

Not sure how I feel about that, but at least we now know that Suzaku is piloting the Purple Shinkiro, and gets absolutely hosed because he can't keyboard wizard to victory.

I hope we get a decent number of scenes with Suzaku playing the role of Zero in public before he gets captured or defeated. It'd be amusing to see.

By the way...the new Shinkirou has two swords so it's not totally defenseless at melee, yet I always thought of the original as more of a ranged machine (please insert fabulous typing skills montage here). The trailer makes me think they will lure him into a trap by using Nunnally as bait, which could involve some cool ground combat tactics, but the question is whether that is happening near the start of the film or as more of a climax.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Funimation has posted a new trailer for Resurrection (with English subs):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeiBsQkdUMM

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

They really don't want to show lelouch, do they?

I like that new Guren design, though. Very nice.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

That's going to be either maximum teasing or maximum trolling. To make wild guess, Lelouch will either show up halfway through the movie or only at the end. Either way, the fact this will get a U.S. theatrical release is good.

The new Lancelot and Guren variants are interesting enough, but it's nice that not all combat will be aerial.

As for the new enemies? I am glad they're not just more Britannians.

wielder fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 12, 2018

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Here's a short clip from the new Code Geass movie, which should be out in Japan this weekend:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/315810397

Funimation is also teasing an announcement, so they might have news on their release / screenings.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Knightmares aren't all CG, which is promising.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection Film's N. American Screenings Slated for May

quote:

Funimation announced on Friday that its screening of the Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection (Code Geass: Fukkatsu no Lelouch) sequel anime film will screen in North America on May 5 (subtitled), and on May 7-8 (dubbed).

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-02-08/code-geass-lelouch-of-the-re-surrection-film-n-american-screenings-slated-for-may/.143207

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

English dub cast:

https://www.funimationfilms.com/movie/codegeass/

Movie will also be screened at Sakura-con 2019 in Seattle with Japanese guests.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-03-08/funimation-screens-code-geass-lelouch-of-the-re-surrection-film-at-sakura-con/.144308

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

So, did anybody really change from the old dub? If anything I only wish Nunnally's english VA was somebody other than Rebecca Forstadt, but maybe she'll actually sound somewhat ok instead of mediocre throughout.

Also what the hell is up with that billing? I would think Kallen is a bit more of an important character than every single new villain. Also strange that they didn't release a full cast list but still tossed Lloyd and Sayoko on there just because.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

RMZXAnarchy posted:

So, did anybody really change from the old dub? If anything I only wish Nunnally's english VA was somebody other than Rebecca Forstadt, but maybe she'll actually sound somewhat ok instead of mediocre throughout.

Also what the hell is up with that billing? I would think Kallen is a bit more of an important character than every single new villain. Also strange that they didn't release a full cast list but still tossed Lloyd and Sayoko on there just because.

No changes, or at least not among those present on the list. There are a few other existing characters with smaller roles in the film, so we probably won't know about their full casting until later. Nunnally doesn't get a ton of dialogue during this one either, but hopefully they were able to get the best possible takes out of the voice actress.

I think it's because of Funimation wanting to highlight their own internal pool of voice actors as well as the other guest voices they have picked for the new characters. If they put those too low on the list, it would be awkward from their perspective.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
The dub screening just finished at Anime Boston, and it was really good IMO. All the characters felt more on point then they did at the end of R2. Nunally’s actress wasn’t great but she only has a handful of speaking scenes. After the panel ended they announced that the director has a 10 year plan for Code Geass, so maybe expect more sequels?

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
I didn't realize the recap movies changed some of the facts around so I was surprised at who was there.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I've got my ticket to the sub showing. I still need to watch the third recap movie but nyeeeeh.

cergos
Apr 23, 2019

The hush of the night sky is the silence of a graveyard.

Exia posted:

The dub screening just finished at Anime Boston, and it was really good IMO. All the characters felt more on point then they did at the end of R2. Nunally’s actress wasn’t great but she only has a handful of speaking scenes. After the panel ended they announced that the director has a 10 year plan for Code Geass, so maybe expect more sequels?

I honestly can't imagine anything good coming out from continuing the Code Geass franchise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Level Seven posted:

I didn't realize the recap movies changed some of the facts around so I was surprised at who was there.

What sort of things

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

What sort of things

I know of at least a few deaths that were retconned outside of Lelouch himself of course.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Been reading Lelouch the Private Tutor, another manga that released without my knowing
https://mononoke-no-ko.tumblr.com/post/174235515714/trans-lelouch-san-the-private-tutor-ch06

This place also has a bunch of the weird, hard to find side content like Sayoko Diaries that back in the day were just "you'll find this on one livejournal post, maybe."

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

What sort of things

Skimming through them, there's no real change to who survived among major characters, but there were some among notable minor characters - possibly only one, Shirley, though there might be others I didn't recognize. Incidentally, Mao doesn't seem to exist, as far as the movies are concerned.

Among really minor "who?" characters, Luciano Bradley's (Knight of 9, Vampire of Britannia) Valkyrie Squadron got replaced by random no-name guys instead, so named characters Marika Soresi and Liliana Vergamon are theoretically still alive... though as far as I'm aware the Oz manga was confirmed to be canon, so Marika was alive as of end of series anyways (animated explosion interpreted to just being shorthand to her being shot down, and someone rescued her midair before terminal impact). Something of an odd change, given they get no appearances elsewhere in the anime/movie, and most people who were even familiar with their names were already at least peripherally aware of the minor Oz changes to that scene, so changing the scene didn't really add or subtract anything other than introducing an odd minor plot hole.

edit: Among possibly significant non-death related changes that might be relevant to the new movie, the final fate of Damocles isn't even touched on in the third movie, as opposed to part of anime Requiem's ending being launching it into space to remove it from the world. If it's NOT brought up, that seems like kind of a significant plot hole to leave lying around.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 27, 2019

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

cergos posted:

I honestly can't imagine anything good coming out from continuing the Code Geass franchise.

I hope at the very least it doesn't mean that it's gonna be the only thing Goro Taniguchi works on for the next 10 years. He's a fascinating director and I'd much rather see some new projects from him.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

cergos posted:

Like any other popular Sunrise property, there will always be a mix of better and worse entries. Which is why I'd have no preemptive issues before seeing each project on its own. After all, Gundam has literally kept going for decades with its own highs and lows.

Ten years is enough for, say, at least three or four additional animated projects. Even My-Hime was able to receive more animated spin-offs than Code Geass thus far, which has only seen one previous attempt until recently (Akito the Exiled), so it's not like they've exhausted all of the opportunities yet.

Given that the new movie is quite popular in Japan after ten years and was apparently well-received at the recent U.S. convention showings too, they would be incredibly foolish to not give the property another shot. As long as a sizable audience is still interested, they have nothing to lose.

Srice posted:

I hope at the very least it doesn't mean that it's gonna be the only thing Goro Taniguchi works on for the next 10 years. He's a fascinating director and I'd much rather see some new projects from him.

Taniguchi has worked on some fairly different yet interesting niche projects in recent years, which I've found to be decently watchable and enjoyable enough myself, although it's clear they haven't been popular among the mainstream (Maria was pretty neat and I liked ID-0).

At the very least, that is proof the man himself isn't obsessed with exclusively working on Code Geass (or Geass-like shows). I imagine Sunrise will get some new teams involved too, not just the old staff, since even they will have unrelated projects at different studios.

Mokinokaro posted:

I know of at least a few deaths that were retconned outside of Lelouch himself of course.

Lord Koth posted:

Skimming through them, there's no real change to who survived among major characters, but there were some among notable minor characters - possibly only one, Shirley, though there might be others I didn't recognize. Incidentally, Mao doesn't seem to exist, as far as the movies are concerned.

This is correct. Lelouch's fate is not visibly different at the end of the third recap movie. There is no cart driver sequence, which is a change, but he still got stabbed to (at least temporary) death. Of course, you can't resurrect someone if they didn't die in the first place. Any retcon, as such, would be after the fact since the exact method of his return isn't spelled out in the third compilation film..

quote:

Something of an odd change, given they get no appearances elsewhere in the anime/movie, and most people who were even familiar with their names were already at least peripherally aware of the minor Oz changes to that scene, so changing the scene to different people didn't really add or subtract anything other than introducing an odd minor plot hole.

My take is they wanted to have some minor nods towards the Oz material, like the Lancelot Grail's appearance for a very small scene in the third recap film, but don't want to change the original structure of the anime's story too much in order to fully accomodate every part of the manga. From a certain point of view, this reminds me of the various Star Wars EU nods in the recent Disney films.

quote:

edit: Among possibly significant non-death related changes that might be relevant to the new movie, the final fate of Damocles isn't even touched on in the third movie, as opposed to part of anime Requiem's ending being launching it into space to remove it from the world. If it's NOT brought up, that seems like kind of a significant plot hole to leave lying around.

If I had to guess, they could just assume it still happened and simply wasn't portrayed directly.

wielder fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 27, 2019

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

wielder posted:

My take is they wanted to have some minor nods towards the Oz material, like the Lancelot Grail's appearance for a very small scene in the third recap film, but don't want to change the original structure of the anime's story too much in order to fully accomodate every part of the manga. From a certain point of view, this reminds me of the various Star Wars EU nods in the recent Disney films.

If I had to guess, they could just assume it still happened and simply wasn't portrayed directly.

Oh, no, you misunderstood me on the first point, as I was just saying that it seemed odd to change that scene at all. I was not saying they should have put in some reference to how Oz minorly changed the aftermath, but rather that changing the scene to a different random squad of no-names had literally no point. For those not familiar with Oz it's just a random change with zero effect, and thus something of an odd waste of resources, while introducing said plot hole for those that are. Honestly, I wasn't looking for or expecting homages to the manga in the first place, and missed the Grail appearance.

As for the second, that's definitely a fairly reasonable assumption, but I kind of wish "whatever happened to that insanely powerful superweapon?" had at least been alluded to (assuming it isn't actually relevant to movie 4).

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Lord Koth posted:

Oh, no, you misunderstood me on the first point, as I was just saying that it seemed odd to change that scene at all. I was not saying they should have put in some reference to how Oz minorly changed the aftermath, but rather that changing the scene to a different random squad of no-names had literally no point. For those not familiar with Oz it's just a random change with zero effect, and thus something of an odd waste of resources, while introducing said plot hole for those that are. Honestly, I wasn't looking for or expecting homages to the manga in the first place, and missed the Grail appearance.

Sorry for the brief confusion then. I guess they might have thought "you know, let's simply not have the girl(s) piloting this robot in the first place" and left it at that. Or just another easy way to mark that, technically speaking, the movie compilations are one universe and the TV show is another, even if the main story isn't radically changing (until the continuation comes in).

Yes, it's a very tiny moment with the Grail. One can easily miss the scene.

One other change from the third compilation that people might want to know is the Black Knights were less dumb. They were more open to hear out Zero during the betrayal scene and it's Schneizel's aide who orders the enemy troops to shoot at Lelouch. The Black Knights still end up on the other side later on, when Lelouch finally becomes Emperor and Suzaku crashes the meeting in Japan, but by then it's a more reasonable stance.

cergos
Apr 23, 2019

I’m of the opinion that Code Geass is completed. There’s been a beginning, a middle, and an end. And for a more than a decade, that’s how it’s been. I feel that continuing the franchise is unnatural and unnecessary, even if it’s not the direct continuation of R2.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

cergos posted:

I’m of the opinion that Code Geass is completed. There’s been a beginning, a middle, and an end. And for a more than a decade, that’s how it’s been. I feel that continuing the franchise is unnatural and unnecessary, even if it’s not the direct continuation of R2.

I don't entirely disagree on that front. I do think the original ending was enough for me. No matter what happens next, I will be satisfied with the conclusion of R2 as a way to end the main story.

Just like I am happy with the original ending of Votoms as a TV series, even to this day, despite my general dislike for at least two of the sequels (Shining Heresy and Phantom Arc, both of which introduced some lame and unnecessary ideas, although even they had a few good parts as well).

But since we live in an age of existing intellectual property having great value, both financially and for nostalgia purposes, it was only a matter of time until they would try to bring a popular concept back. That underlying trend goes far above and beyond anime. It's been happening everywhere.

cergos
Apr 23, 2019

wielder posted:

I don't entirely disagree on that front. I do think the original ending was enough for me. No matter what happens next, I will be satisfied with the conclusion of R2 as a way to end the main story.

Just like I am happy with the original ending of Votoms as a TV series, even to this day, despite my general dislike for at least two of the sequels (Shining Heresy and Phantom Arc, both of which introduced some lame and unnecessary ideas, although even they had a few good parts as well).

But since we live in an age of existing intellectual property having great value, both financially and for nostalgia purposes, it was only a matter of time until they would try to bring a popular concept back. That underlying trend goes far above and beyond anime. It's been happening everywhere.

That's certainly true. Well, hopefully the continuation doesn't become the new Star Wars sequel trilogy. Chances are I'll be watching the Code Geass movies for nostalgia, but I remain skeptical.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There has literally never not been Code Geass material in production over the last 10 years so even calling it a return isn't exactly accurate.

cergos posted:

Well, hopefully the continuation doesn't become the new Star Wars sequel trilogy.

Lol

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Rodyle posted:

There has literally never not been Code Geass material in production over the last 10 years so even calling it a return isn't exactly accurate.

Aside from the various manga spin-offs, which are more known within Japan than anywhere else (although a few did get European releases)...the animated side of things hasn't been too active, comparatively speaking, and that's what most folks will pay attention to.

The new movie is arguably the first time this property is actually reaching people in significant numbers since 2008, both in Japan and abroad. It's a return in the sense that many weren't really aware about Akito being a thing between 2012 and 2016, nor did the long delays help.

I imagine they don't want to have such a slow release schedule this time around and would instead try a very different approach, whether it's intended for TV, another movie or something else.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

wielder posted:

Aside from the various manga spin-offs, which are more known within Japan than anywhere else (although a few did get European releases)...the animated side of things hasn't been too active, comparatively speaking, and that's what most folks will pay attention to.

The new movie is arguably the first time this property is actually reaching people in significant numbers since 2008, both in Japan and abroad. It's a return in the sense that many weren't really aware about Akito being a thing between 2012 and 2016, nor did the long delays help.

I imagine they don't want to have such a slow release schedule this time around and would instead try a very different approach, whether it's intended for TV, another movie or something else.

Akito the Exiled wasn't that long ago and that was a big OVA series. Geass never really died down.

cergos
Apr 23, 2019

On a related note, would there be anything you recommend in terms of Code Geass related content? Besides for the new movies and the original series, of course.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Nightmare of Nunnally and Nunnally in Wonderland

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Some no name guys died in Lucanio's division? Kewell (who gets blown up by Kallen in Season 1) is in the place of his... daughter/cousin/niece? So he still dies, just far later. Pretty sure Damocles ends up in the sun again too. All those tiny retcons to fit Oz in don't really have any meaning to people outside of Japan where its not even been hinted at getting licensed.

I only hope 10 year plan means more merchandise, milk this till its dry so I can further surround myself with plastic robots and Kallens. The original teasers for Resurrection seemed to imply more was going to happen with Cornelia but is she even really in the new movie?

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 30, 2019

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Some no name guys died in Lucanio's division? Kewell (who gets blown up by Kallen in Season 1) is in the place of his... daughter/cousin/niece? So he still dies, just far later. Pretty sure Damocles ends up in the sun again too. All those tiny retcons to fit Oz in don't really have any meaning to people outside of Japan where its not even been hinted at getting licensed.

I only hope 10 year plan means more merchandise, milk this till its dry so I can further surround myself with plastic robots and Kallens. The original teasers for Resurrection seemed to imply more was going to happen with Cornelia but is she even really in the new movie?

She does have a small role in the later half of the film

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

All set for my sub showing tomorrow!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Enjoyed it!

Boy Kallen lost super definitively though boooo

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Rody One Half posted:

Enjoyed it!

Boy Kallen lost super definitively though boooo

This is a more or less recap movie for the last act of the show, right? Why would they rewrite that? I assume with super definitively you don't mean killed off, since that changes the ending a lot, too.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

chumbler posted:

This is a more or less recap movie for the last act of the show, right? Why would they rewrite that? I assume with super definitively you don't mean killed off, since that changes the ending a lot, too.
Uh no Resurrection is a sequel

Glorification was the last recap movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

chumbler posted:

They mean romantically, I am fairly sure