Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The show should have focused more on Kallen being a badass and wrecking poo poo and less on bunny suits and overcomplicated theatrics.

Basically, Code Geass should've been a Super Robot show starring Kallen. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Mercury Crusader posted:

less on overcomplicated theatrics.
:getout:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

While we're on the subject of opinions that are bad and wrong I want to admit I unironically enjoyed the Arthur episode. I like it when serious business hammy shows get all self-aware and do something super goofy. I may also have just plain bad taste.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

GimmickMan posted:

While we're on the subject of opinions that are bad and wrong I want to admit I unironically enjoyed the Arthur episode. I like it when serious business hammy shows get all self-aware and do something super goofy. I may also have just plain bad taste.

Add "make Lelouche the Boss of Code Geass and give him an appropriate Boss Borot-style KMF" to my list of demands for an improved show.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AnacondaHL posted:

Namtab posted:

Lelouch is dead, L.L is not.
This is the best. I'm using this as my trump card in all future Lelouch debates.

:smug: Actually, it would be R.R. As in, the name of the second season. :smug:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

But his name begins with an L.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Namtab posted:

But his name begins with an L.

Ruruushu Ramupuruuji.

I don't see no L's.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrbbmneUAiI

Pronunciation key

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Mercury Crusader posted:

The show should have focused more on Kallen being a badass and wrecking poo poo and less on bunny suits and overcomplicated theatrics.

Basically, Code Geass should've been a Super Robot show starring Kallen. :allears:

Code Geass should've focused on Lelouch's grand-standing and extravagant costumes. :colbert:

"Only those who are prepared to dress ridiculously should design clothes!"

Basically Kill la Kill, before Kill la Kill was Kill la Kill.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
For those few wondering about what's up with Code Geass: Akito the Exiled, a delay for Chapter 3 was announced.

Here's a translation of the announcement:

quote:

Official news: We’re working hard on Chapter 3!

To all our fans

Thank you for your continued support of Akito the Exiled. We’re truly grateful.

There may be people who will say, “This again?”, and it is with a heavy heart that we must inform you that the planned spring release for Chapter 3 “The Brightness Falls” has been postponed.

Presently, the supervising staff are working diligently on making Chapter 3 more interesting, and are working on the final Chapter as well so it will not be delayed. We want you to be able to watch Chapter 3 and Chapter 4 without waiting in between.

Please wait for an official announcement for the screening date shortly.

We apologize to those who are waiting for the screening for being unable to meet your expectations, but we do ask you for your understanding.

Yoshitaka Kawaguchi, Akito the Exiled Producer

I'm not a fan of all these delays myself, but if they do end up premiering the third and final chapters either at the same time or at least in quick succession, that would be a decent enough form of compensation. It's not like anyone outside of Japan ever gets to see any of these things before either the physical or digital releases of each film/OVA though, which aren't simultaneous.

Some unrelated trivia that might be a little more interesting for most people, especially those who enjoy behind-the-scenes stuff...the Code Geass R2 BD box set that just came out in Japan includes an unanimated script for what would have been "episode 26" of the first season. In other words, how the creators initially intended to resolve the cliffhanger ending, before they changed plans due to moving to a different timeslot. Lelouch defeats Suzaku due to his last minute hesitation, picks up the Lancelot to infiltrate a Britannian airship and faces the Emperor there, but loses and ends up being crucified or hanged instead. Not a whole lot of details about the specifics have surfaced yet, but I guess it's nice to have a bit of confirmation about what sort of resolution was intended.

wielder fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 31, 2014

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

What the gently caress do they do to these OVAs that makes them so wrought with delays? I mean the first episode was put off for like, two years.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Rodyle posted:

What the gently caress do they do to these OVAs that makes them so wrought with delays? I mean the first episode was put off for like, two years.

There was a long pre-production phase right at the start, between the first official announcement of the project's existence (2010) and actually having something to release (2012). Based on something the director said during an event in Spain last year, the main reason for the delays of episode two (and presumably three) was the use of "new animation techniques." In other words, almost certainly studio Orange's 3DCG work for the Knightmare Frames, rather than anything involving the 2D animated characters.

I think the results look very nice, but I assume the Sunrise folks must be quietly regretting making the decision to use high quality 3DCG rather than something more bottom-of-the-barrel, or just sticking with the usual 2D mechanical animation, if that was going to become the single biggest contributing factor (that we know of) to the schedule slipping so much.

wielder fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 1, 2014

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The delays are just so ridiculous that once the show finally arrives you've forgotten half of what happened in the previous episode, and this series is already trying to overcome the hurdles of not having most of the cast the audience cares about and having a plot that's kind of doomed to being inconsequential. It's to the point where most of what I've seen people express is just wanting to see Suzaku and "Julius" murder everyone.

I myself just want a new Geass TV series, preferably a reboot or something so we can get some proper Lulu poses (and, dare I ask, actual closure for romantic subplots beyond "one or both of them die").

V
I feel we are in some sort of cycle here.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 1, 2014

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Re: the ending, isn't it entirely possible that Charles gave Lelouch his code as he was being re-absorbed into C? That's what I always thought happened and was my explanation of the totally-not-Lelouch character driving the wagon in the epilogue.

And it also kind of makes sense of the flashback thing that's going on when Nunnally touches his body, it's very much similar to some of the images C.C. could feed to people.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Rodyle posted:

The delays are just so ridiculous that once the show finally arrives you've forgotten half of what happened in the previous episode, and this series is already trying to overcome the hurdles of not having most of the cast the audience cares about and having a plot that's kind of doomed to being inconsequential. It's to the point where most of what I've seen people express is just wanting to see Suzaku and "Julius" murder everyone.

I'd say such nihilistic expressions have haunted this project from the very beginning, so I don't think correlation implies causation.

Not that I blame anyone for being interested in seeing familiar faces, especially since much of the new cast is rather gloomy, but there are more constructive ways to channel that attitude. Of course it's "inconsequential" in the grand scheme of things, that's why it's a side story. Just like how all the Gundam side stories can't possibly change the narrative outcome of the One Year War. What they can do is give us a different perspective on certain situations and concepts or even show us another side of the existing characters, and I think this project can still offer that much.

Nobody is happy about having to wait, agreed, but my opinion is a little more pragmatic. It's not too hard to rewatch one hour -or two hours, this time around- of anime once a year in order to get back up to speed. There are plenty of live action movie series with similar or even longer waiting periods between releases, so my mind tends to file this away in that same space. At least this is coming out on a more regular schedule than, say, the Rebuild of Evangelion movies.

Rodyle posted:

I myself just want a new Geass TV series, preferably a reboot or something so we can get some proper Lulu poses.

I feel we are in some sort of cycle here.

I'd like that too. But you know what would also be cool? Sunrise making a Gundam Build Fighters-style series or at least an OVA where they can mix and match all their non-Gundam robots, including gratuitous character cameos and references to keep the fans happy.

Oh, you have no idea. :hydrogen:

The Shortest Path posted:

Re: the ending, isn't it entirely possible that Charles gave Lelouch his code as he was being re-absorbed into C? That's what I always thought happened and was my explanation of the totally-not-Lelouch character driving the wagon in the epilogue.

The short answer is that yes, you can freely choose to think so.

Look at the previous pages if you want to read the arguments both for and against it.

wielder fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 1, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Have any of the Code Geass spin offs or OVA's been as ridiculous as the Lelouch of the Rebellion/R2? Those were pretty awesome.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

And it also kind of makes sense of the flashback thing that's going on when Nunnally touches his body, it's very much similar to some of the images C.C. could feed to people.

Regardless of anything else, this is actually not related to Codes at all. Nunally has the poorly explained power to read people's minds/sense their lies when touching them. She actually does it (less explicitly) earlier in the series.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 1, 2014

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

KittyEmpress posted:

Have any of the Code Geass spin offs or OVA's been as ridiculous as the Lelouch of the Rebellion/R2? Those were pretty awesome.

The Nightmare of Nunnally manga is probably even crazier than the original series, including their version of Zero.

Try the Nunally in Wonderland picture drama if you want something full of ridiculous but entertaining in-jokes.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

wielder posted:

The Nightmare of Nunnally manga is probably even crazier than the original series, including their version of Zero.

Try the Nunally in Wonderland picture drama if you want something full of ridiculous but entertaining in-jokes.

Yeah I don't really mean crazy like that so much as ridiculous 'we will win the trust of the japanese resistance by luring britanians to a mountain, then collapsing the mountain on them!'

Also the poses. And Lelouch's insaniface.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

KittyEmpress posted:

Yeah I don't really mean crazy like that so much as ridiculous 'we will win the trust of the japanese resistance by luring britanians to a mountain, then collapsing the mountain on them!'

Try stuff like Death Note, Kaiji, Akagi or One Outs if ridiculous yet awesome one-upmanship is your thing. Ask in the recommendations thread if you want more.

And you might also enjoy Valvrave (which I don't recommend but it has similar parts) or GunxSword (which is a bit different but more people should see it).

wielder fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 1, 2014

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

You totally should read Nightmare of Nunally though. And then follow it up with the author's current series, Renya of Darkness. It's canon!

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Rodyle posted:

The delays are just so ridiculous that once the show finally arrives you've forgotten half of what happened in the previous episode

Welcome to Hell...sing ...

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm currently watching Code Geass for the first time. I liked quite alot. There was a lot of dumb moments all through it.

But then we got to Episode 22. I'd actually been spoilt for it, so it wasn't a total surprise. Maybe actually made it work.

They didn't. Hahahaha, that was the stupidest loving thing ever!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Are you sure anime is your thing?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yes! I'm going to keep going :unsmigghh:!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

Are you sure anime is your thing?

Code Geass is my thing, and I still think that's one of the most bullshit twists ever.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Episode 22 is awesome because it's literally "white boy playing savior to Japan as if it were a game = accidental genocide." The accident is the direct result of him being too flippant about his powers and role. It's totally melodramatic and overwrought, but it's Code Geass, so that's hardly a mark against it.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 15, 2014

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It's the fact that they completely upended the status quo and the trajectory of the story in such an absurd manner. Euphy was too nice to be removed that way.

The fact that such a thing was even possible in the first place is meant to be a mark against super-hierarchical systems that have no checks on power, aka Britannia (or ironically enough, Zero himself).

23 down. Haha, this is not letting up is it? At least Lelouch is more likable than Light. He actually responds to events like a conflicted human being, instead of jumping straight into his inevitable madness.

Also, there must be a pithy term out there for a character steadily eroding his morality for some other purpose.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
R2 Episode 1. What the hell is going on?

Did everyone get mindwiped or something? Did the Emperor really value Lelouch's existence so much that he built a magic tower that mind-controlled everyone?

Edit: nope, they were after CC.

Can't imagine that Lelouch would get to hang out at school anymore after this.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

R2 gets dumb :iia:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

Can't imagine that Lelouch would get to hang out at school anymore after this.
This is a beautiful thing you have posted.

Please keep going. :allears:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
R2 is a magical experience, and I wish I could go through it for the first time again. Phobophilia, please keep posting about it as you watch.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Chode Gayass.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Yes, Code Geass R2 is surely the craziest and silliest part of the series, which leads to an array of conflicting emotions and raw entertainment value.

There are moments when stuff does click into place though. Just not for everyone and not all the time, since some are mostly or only noticeable in retrospect.

Phobophilia posted:

It's the fact that they completely upended the status quo and the trajectory of the story in such an absurd manner. Euphy was too nice to be removed that way.

The trigger itself is super absurd, of course, but the outcome wasn't some sort of secret trajectory. With an episode title like Bloodstained Euphie and Lelouch immediately raging at her plan as soon as it was announced, because it would screw up his whole gig, I don't know how anyone could expect things were going to work out well for her, other than purely through wishful thinking.

On a more meta level, Euphemia being too nice and meeting a tragicomic end is arguably the point. Her fate is thought to be a bit of a hilariously cruel jab at Lacus Clyne from Gundam SEED, who is another pink princess of peace-type that essentially gets everything to go her way, with Suzaku pretty much being a stand-in for her partner and knight in shining armor, Kira Yamato. This is supported by another kind of apparent dig at Gundam SEED being present in the director's previous work, GunxSword.

EDIT: VVV Quite true, but then he chose how to end the crisis and still exploited it for his own ends. Hardly innocent work.

wielder fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 15, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Really the only problem is that the writers chickened out of making Lelouch do it on purpose.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'd argue that it works better as an accident seeing as Zero Requiem makes less sense if it was deliberate. Instead it's a horrible accident that Lelouch horrifically exploits for his own personal gain.
Despite Lelouch's actions up to then, it's really that that serves as the point of no return for him. A lot of the series and Lelouch's actions from then on are framed in the context of what happened there and the fact that it was accidental.

Euphie dying also affects suzaku but who the hell cares about suzaku?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've been doing other stuff in the meantime. Finally got to R2 8.

Hahahahaha what the gently caress just happened?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Nevermind, responding to this way too late.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Schneizel is totally the bad guy, isn't he? He's the only one who sounds like a normal reasonable human being, but they gave his prettyboy face creepy schemer eyes so he's basically telling everyone what they want to hear isn't he?

So he's a an older, wiser version of Lelouch who knows how to handle the human element.

The Crown Prince is a total chump of course and exists purely to soak up bullets for #2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Okay, I get pretending that your back is against the wall, making the eunuchs say something stupid, start a revolution in a neighbouring nation so you have an actual power base.

But the Knights of the Round joining the school is just too much.