Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Huh, I really liked R2 and not even because it was crazy and zany or anything. It was just as serious, we were put back to square one after what happened, it was a bit of a backlash of leaving me go "what the gently caress just happened", but it got tied up right quick and we got on the way further on with an appropriate ending for all characters, except poor Euphy.

Heck, the end even seems to suggest that Lelouch isn't really dead as a part of the curse of the geass. They could make a third season around that fact alone, albeit I don't mind some quiet time in the time period it ended at, maybe resuming after a long time when things have gone to hell again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

The_Guy posted:

Code Geass really understood the entertainment value of pomp and glory. All those displays of military force, outrageous nationalism, and "Yes my Lord!"

We really could also do with more shows where the moustache twirling villain is the protaganist.

Valverave and that other awful Sunrise knock off that copied the less interesting aspects of the show never understood these things.

I only know of this show and Death Note that have a story from the villains perspective.

I really do want more of these.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I imagine Lelouch wouldn't be in his normal body or anything, but occasionally take over C.C.'s she'd allow it. The audience would still know what is going on by seeing Lelouches profile sometimes sticking out of her like he did outside of his Zero mask. Maybe they'd discuss reasoning for his choices inside of her mind and decide it is a time to return to form, but I am not sure what his main motivation could be.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
V.V. has the power to make the audience forget he ever existed.

Christ, I had even forgotten that character was a thing until I read your post.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Gravefront posted:

Code Geass was wonderful if you like absolute train wreck plots

which, as it happens, I love

Also there's no way Lelouch isn't totally alive and living happily ever after with CC

Not sure what you mean by train wreck, but I kinda like it when things don't always turn out hunky-dorey. And well, I suspect he's at the very least no more dead than Marianne was.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's not really that I really wish Lelouch was not dead or anything, but I really can't parse that ending as anything but a hint to his survival.

She is clearly talking to someone and not just some ephemeral non-existant person. A thing we've seen her do throughout the show and that actually had a conclusion and outcome.

I mean, it's not a story that has to be told, but it's there is the author ever wants to use it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

She's talking to the dead person. It is not the first or last time in Code Geass someone talks to someone who isn't there. Suzaku does it to Euphemia. Does that mean Euphemia is actually alive and was just offscreen the entire time?

But there is a huge difference between how a conversation is carried with someone who isn't there anymore and someone who has a prescence somewhere.

Besides, the entire death and redemption scene reminds of a parallell elsewhere in the series: How Marianne died.

You come across as very defensive of your interpretation as being the only correct one and everyone else being wrong, I don't really get it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Are you sure anime is your thing?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

C.C's relationship with Lelouch is many things but they're not friends in the same way Lelouch and Suzaku were. She's more like his partner in crime when she isn't being aloof self-interest or potential love interest.

Is she even this? Lelouch doesn't seem to even consider her much of a woman aside from the beginning at a point and she doesn't seem to consider him that way at any point either. Just the crew assumes she is Zero's concubine for some reason.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes french people do what french people do.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
So what is your interpretation of C.C. just lying in a ball of hay and speaking to Lelouch like she spoke to Marianne throughout earlier in the series?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Phobophilia posted:

She's just talking to the ~sky~ because even if he failed to take her Code, he's still ~special~ to her.

Well, since they haven't made any sequels your interpretation is the correct one.

I still feel it's a decent hook for a sequel if they decided to go for it.

Though as you say, I don't think Lelouch would seek to come back to life, so he'd at best support a new main character through C.C.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I like Suzaku because he's *that* guy who always plays a Paladin at D&D and always kills the orc baby because it is evil and has a history of being a general psychopath guised in Justice.

As for Xingke's illness, it was a bit of a red herring and an intended plot point, but that ended up not played out, because an alternate scenario played out better and became the script they went with.

There's a lot of those moments in Code Geass where it prepares you for the greatest tragedy early on so that you never know quite what to expect. There were a handful of scenes I remember that had odd slow-motion applied to them, making me think "oh, and there she gets shot", but it didn't happen. Either because they didn't want to traumatize the viewer further or because it was one of those "alternate path" scenarios.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's a bit funny that between the plug-suits and the bunny-outfit, the most demeaning thing we saw her in was a fancy dress.

It's almost clever.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I kinda wish they did, just because it'd mean more Lelouch, more grandstanding and more Code Geass.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

KonvexKonkav posted:

I don't see the appeal of Code Geass, honestly. It's basically a dumb nonsense show like Valvrave (which I liked the first season of!) but it takes itself way more seriously which has the unfortunate effect of activating my brain and me trying to find a rational explanation for the things that happen onscreen. If I could just turn off my brain and not think about all the plot holes this would probably be something I enjoyed but sadly it hasn't been working so far. Maybe I need to drink more while watching this but this is probably only going to make it more confusing.

Have you ever played D&D? Code Geass is essentially based entirely around the premise of a level 7 spell.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Hunt11 posted:

That scene made no sense to me. Lelouch could have just told him to take back the illegal move if he was that worried about some type of trap (don't ask me how moving into Check Mate can be part of a trap but maybe in the Code Geass universe there is some crazy gambit that can be pulled off in Chess when you concede the game).

Isn't that just to be really, really condescending to Lelouch? Like "aww, you care so much about chess that you want a serious match, well, here's your victory little Lelouch, take it, you deserve it" :smug:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

You know how Death Note really dragged after L died? That's Code Geass R2

At least things happen. But yeah, I felt that way first time watching. Second time was more enjoyable.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Orange is the hero we need.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
All hail Lelouch!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

AnacondaHL posted:

lol Cart Driver all this time for real

More likely the same as Marianne.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I dunno by what metric people measure "good" or "bad".

If I get people grandstanding, doing incredibly convoluted handfestures, wear cool sci-fi helmets and make grandiose speeches, then it's "good" by my book.

Oh and a bit of puppet-mastery. That doesn't hurt.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's the food and the gag that is the joke.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Season 3 gently caress yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Did it say January at the end there? This looks like it ticks all of my boxes, honestly.