Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Man I just finished a rewatch of season 1 and drat are those final few episodes good. Geassing Euphie by accident is still probably in the top ten of dumbest anime moments but everything after that is solid gold. Watching Lelouch kill her tears in his eyes then immediately turn around and frame her and by extension all of Britannia as evil incarnated is some loving realpolitik that would make Bismark blush. Top that off with some great battle scenes that show just how much the black knights have grown, from a rag tag group of terrorists to a shitload of ragtag terrorists sweeping up the entire Japanese populace and hellbent on taking Tokyo. Which they drat near do. Then when all the conditions have been cleared as Lelouch would say, everything falls apart, despite his tactical brilliance, because of Nunally's kidnapping, Suzakus release, and Viletta regaining her memory. It's one of the greatest reversals of fortune I've seen, right up there with breaking bad.

I watched the show originally back when I was in high school, right after the first season had finished I believe, and one thing I found interesting was just how jumbled my memories of everything were. I remember being surprised that Sayoko was a black knight in R2 and yet she clearly joins and then even helps disable the Lancelot. I coulda sworn that the mudslide Zero caused was way towards the end of the series and yet it was withing the first ten or so episodes. Relatedly I seriously don't remember Shirley realizing who zero was, was in the first season and yet there it was.

Overall I'd rate the series as a must watch and a must rewatch once you forget all the poo poo that happened like me.
Some final thoughts.

I didn't hate Suzaku nearly as much this time around, hopefully that holds into R2 because I remember liking him a whole lot more in the second season my first time through.

Mao really should've been handled better I realize he's there both to explain some geass poo poo and to show that Suzaku plus Lelouch is an unstoppable combination but having an entire police force unload on you should probably kill you.

I feel like season one at least, works in the school breather episodes better than most animes I've seen, there's usually at least something else going on.

It's a drat shame that Geass only got three model kits.

The Gawain is rad as hell and I'll be sad to see it replaced by the infinitely inferior Shinkirou.

I really wish this show had some more background poo poo. Like why all the Britannian areas are built on giant stilts and at least an attempt to explain energy shields, and sakuradite, and scanning sphere things, and the swords the Lancelot uses and all kinds of other dumb poo poo I kept wondering about.

Lelouch takes way longer than I remember to form the black knights I figured it'd be done by episode three or so but it takes nearly a third of the series to form them.

Watching Lelouch gently caress over the JLF is hilarious. I wonder what Toudou would think if he knew how many comrades of his Zero killed.

The animation in the show was actually really good and it pains me to see more and more shows move away from traditional animation and to CG.

Soon I will be moving into Round 2 and I'm honestly apprehensive. I watched the show more or less as soon as the non speed subs dropped and watching like that is a very different beast than binge watching 5 or so episodes at once. People have different opinions on the matter but watching week to week seems to magnify pacing issues to me and I remember there being a hell of a lot in R2. I also hated the shift to seed style aerial battles from VOTOMS style ground battles. And the endless series of upgrades and custom suits that infested R2. Seriously the show got three kits what the hell was sunrise trying to push. That and all the wasted potential of characters like Xinge or however you spell it. I'll probably post my thoughts on R2 once I'm finished. Hopefully binge watching it will smooth out some of it's issues but I guess we'll see if it's better or worse than I remember. Spoiler alert it'll probably be prefaced with gently caress YOU OUGI. (Not since Wufei has their been a more permabenched character in my Super Robot Wars Games).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

PureCyndaquil posted:

has anyone built the model kits for the knightmare frames in Akito? I've built Guren, Lancelot, and vincent. curious about the Alexander.

I haven't built any of them but I don't think I've heard a single positive review of them. They're sticker heavy and have problems with pieces falling off, apparently of course.

How is the Vincent by the way I've got a guren and lancelot and I'd like to know how it compares. I don't give a poo poo about rolo but his mech was cool.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Aces High posted:

Going through the thread I notice a lot of people really don't like Suzaku and Ogri (that's the guy who becomes PM and marries Viletta right?) Aand I'm kinda curious as to why. I mean I'm not a huge fan of some of the things Suzaku did and like I said before his tendency in the 1st series to just act as an "I win" button got tiresome fast but I sure don't hate the guy. Thinking on it I don't think I hate any of the characters in this show, maybe that media guy and maybe Rolo but that might be more because he was written to kill Shirley. I think I'm more irked at the writers for that one because what really was the point of that except fridging her. The poor girl's been through enough poo poo

Suzaku is a hypocritical douche who nuked a city and killed his father. All while pretending he was morally right. Ougi was incredibly incompetent, only kept his job because of his previous position, was in a relationship with a britannian agent, and then betrays zero the first chance he gets on the flimsiest evidence, as presented by the guy that's renowned for being a snake and he was actively fighting just hours before so that he can get away with sleeping with her. Suzaku at least realized he was wrong and ended up atoning in some ways for his sins. Ougi drat near dooms the revolution, and gets thousands of black knights and britannians killed in the fighting that followed and then gets a perfectly happy ending marrying Viletta, while the people who actually worked to make a better world are sacrificed.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

wielder posted:

I get why some people tend to hate Suzaku, the narrative makes it all too easy, but he is necessary for the story to work. His presence and interference is one of the things that prevents Lelouch from becoming as boring and overpowered as someone like Tatsuya from Mahouka who always gets his way without significant trouble. Is there some hypocrisy to him? There is, but I think that makes him interesting when you can look at the big picture. His whole "white knight" role is a figurative mask, in contrast with Lelouch's literal one as Zero.
Yeah Suzaku is a good character. Making a character that's both good and detestable is a hard task and I think they did a hell of a job with Suzaku both in that you can see why he is the way he is and that he is a foil for Lelouche. Clearly a better character than Ougi who the makers want you to sympathize with even as he makes brain dead decisions and faces zero consequences for his actions.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Seeing her finally get back into the action really adds to the hype, but like the shinkiro's mass laser it really only looks good on your first watchthrough. After that you start seeing the flaws.

Also it's hard to see if your not looking right at them but both the Lancelot Albion and the Guren SEITEN look quite a bit different than their predecessors.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rody One Half posted:

It's never not going to be weird to me how Geass is essentially about anime Lord Byron.

This is my favorite part of Geass once you realize it's all an old fashioned drama, everything falls into place. Except the flying robits gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sorry, I only took at as a refrence to Romantic drama's cause the only thing I know about Byron is that the Greeks love the dude