Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I think part of what made Kallen an outstanding character was that she didn't suffer a development rollback at the start of S2. Every one else was busy reenacting R1 in fast forward. Of course then she had to chill in a straight jacket for halve the season until everyone else had caught up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Aces High posted:

Going back to that stuff about Lelouch being dead, yes I can understand that that is part of growing up but I still don't think that Lelouch would fake his own death. I just don't think someone with his convictions would even consider that possibility, but hey I've only watched this series once so I'm not a huge expert.

Nah, you are right. He basically told us in the first episode that this was a suicide mission. It's just the internet being silly.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The main problem with the China arc was that they didn't bother making it into a place, instead dicking around inside Ashford academy some more.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

PiedPiper posted:

I think you're all reaching. The whole chess match was designed only with Rule of Cool in mind. The fact is, chess never caught on in Japan, so they don't really give a poo poo about these 'illegal moves' you're all talking about. And having characters play shogi or whatever wouldn't be thematically appropriate.

Eh, that would make the scene completely pointless. Really the point is that he is too proud to take a free win. Nothing more.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 13, 2014

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Kanos posted:

I agree with this post except the bolded part. Suzaku has quite literally superhuman physical prowess(this is remarked upon several times, like when he outruns machine gun bullets), is a complete natural super ace pilot who can beat everyone in the entire setting except Kallen nearly effortlessly, and is portrayed as being nearly as incredibly smart as Lelouch(albeit not remotely as devious). He's not Regular Joe at all.

Don't think so. He was portrayed as knowing Lelouch so not falling for his bullshit.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

It is pretty suspect that nobody ever asks why the mind controlling genius wouldn't just mind control all of them right from the start if he was just using them

How would they know he hadn't?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Because they are able to rebel against him.

At the point of the rebellion there was no indication that he could do anything except give limited orders. (And why even bother with the whole rebellion business if you have unlimited mind control powers?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Watched it. It kind of worked as a nostalgia fest, but I dont't feel it has anything more to add. And it certainly weakens some of the themes that worked in the old series. cancelling the self-sacrifice, the increasingly monstrous nature of the geass, and the overall general forgiveness for LL by everyone
Overall meh, but I'll probably watch more if the make it.