Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
There is really no happy ending that can be rationally believed. I haven't seen it in forever, but IIRC, pretty much the only reason Britannian doesn't own the world in the end is because the worst possible choices for leadership/plot say so and that's really only going to last for as long as it takes for them to be thrown under proverbial buses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

By the end of R2, yeah, Lelouch is willing to sacrifice himself in order to actually bring about lasting peace...

There are literally billions of people in setting butthurt over things like Brittania invading/conquering them, Lelouch's bloody rule (He probably still can't beat Stalin in the dictator ranks), or Britannia literally giving up all of it's conquests because reasons, and putting some of the weakest people in charge of it.

I don't see how anyone can see this as a lasting peace.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Because it is an anime and it says so. It isn't trying to be realistic. This isn't a Watchmen case where it ends with a fairly clear indication that all of this was for nothing and it's going to come tumbling down. The ending is everyone happy and cheerful and talking about how they're feeding orphans instead of waging war. As far as the story is concerned peace was won.

I don't know, I thought it was pretty obviously indicated that almost everyone in the setting is some kind of a huge dick, and I think you should know by now that Sunrise doesn't believe in any lasting peace and this thing is more open for future conflict than any Gundam. Moreover, I don't think "because plot" is required to apply after the plot is over especially when the plot was hilariously irrational. But hey you're free to believe what you want.

Seriously though, you could probably start multiple wars just by mentioning that the guy who nuked literally everyone is still in charge of a big chunk of the world.