Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman
Finally got around to seeing all the new movies. Made the mistake of watching the sequel movie before the compilation movies as I did not realize the compilation movies established an alternate timeline where Shirley lives, so I just stared at the screen and muttered to myself I watched you die.

The compilation movies themselves did an admirable enough job given that you can only include so many scenes and plot points when trying to condense/re-tell an entire series with just three movies. Even if there was no sequel movie to follow, I found that the new ending track helped to take away some of the sting. As much as I like Continued Story, I appreciate Ne:one for its ability to help re-center my thoughts on Lelouch's accomplishments rather than to simply mourn the loss of the character.

As for the Resurrection movie; the story was fine I suppose, but I feel that certain scenes could have had more breathing room. I though the reunion scenes with Kallen and Suzaku were fairly well done, with Kallen's being my favorite if only because we get to see the character gradually come to terms with what is happening over multiple stages.

The reunion scene with Nunnally wasn't quite as tearful as I would have expected and the scene with Cornelia definitely felt the most rushed. Had we been given another season instead of a sequel movie, I can't help but wonder what could have been done differently, especially with regards to Cornelia. As devastated as she was by Euphy's murder, I imagine that Lelouch's death helped Cornelia obtain some sense of closure. Seeing him alive again could have caused her to relapse and begin grieving anew, while giving us some of that patented Code Geass Pathos that we all crave.

Definitely curious to see what's on the horizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman
:frogsiren: SOMEWHAT RECENT NEWS :frogsiren:

Code Geass Lelouch of the Re;surrection Manga Launches in April

Anime News Network posted:

The official Twitter account for Kadokawa's Comic Newtype web comic site announced on Friday that Tomofumi Ogasawara will launch a new manga titled Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection (Code Geass: Fukkatsu no Lelouch) on the website in April. The manga will premiere on the image sharing website pixiv in May. Sunrise's Kōjirō Taniguchi (Code Geass: Akito the Exiled planning manager) is credited with the scenario based on the original Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion anime series.The manga will begin with an original story that depicts the blank period leading up to the resurrection.

Between the Re;surrection manga and last year's announcement of a 10-year plan, I'm cautiously optimistic about future content for the series.

At present, there does not appear to be an official english release of the manga yet, but the first chapter is off to a great start.

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman
Perennial Tokyo Governor Candidate Cosplays Lelouch for Latest Campaign Poster

A Very Silly Article posted:

Teruki Gotō, a musician who often runs as a perennial candidate in various Japanese elections, cosplayed as the Code Geass character Lelouch Lamperouge in his latest campaign poster for the Tokyo governor election.

He showed off his poster on his YouTube channel on Saturday. The poster reads, in Lelouch's commanding tone: "I, Teruki Gotō, command you: Vote for me."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2zIz7mRkUk

A Very Silly Article posted:

In the 2016 race for governor of Tokyo, his campaign poster showed him naked while holding a katana over his head. Infamously at the time, his speeches and posters were cut from television coverage due to his verbal profanities and militaristic presentation.

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman
:frogsiren: Fairly Recent Manga Spoilers Technically Linked Below I Guess :frogsiren:

So I've been going through the manga CODE GEASS: Lelouch of the Rebellion Re; and it definitely appears to be set in the timeline established by the anime series. Then you get to Chapter 15 and you see things like this, and the last page makes it crystal clear that the story will continue in some fashion.

The impression I'm getting is that the Re;surrection manga is supposed to be a continuation of Re; and yet it also incorporates elements from the movie, so we may be looking at the creation of a possible third timeline.

What I'm trying to say is that Code Geass is a land of contrasts, kind of a trainwreck, still Code Geass.

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman

wielder posted:

Well yeah, it wouldn't be very interesting if all they did was slavishly adapt the movie into a manga without adding anything new.

A manga adaptation could still add new scenes and fresh content while remaining part of the established timeline. I just find it weirdly amusing that there may already be another alternate timeline to consider, assuming that Re;surrection follows Re;.

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman
:frogsiren: Code Geass Franchise Gets New Anime Series, Smartphone Game :frogsiren:

Sacred Seven's Yoshimitsu Ohashi directs Code Geass: Z of the Recapture anime

Yoshimitsu Ohashi (Amnesia, Galaxy Angel, Sacred Seven) is directing the new Gode Geass: Z of the Recapture (Dakkan no Zetto) anime series, and Noboru Kimura (Princess Principal: Crown Handler, Problem children are coming from another world, aren't they?) is writing the scripts. Takahiro Kimura is once again designing the characters based on the original character designs by CLAMP. Astrays is designing the Knightmare mecha this time. Sunrise, Ichiro Okouchi, and Goro Taniguchi are still credited with the original story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlcXFr8tcrw

Code Geass: Genesic Re:CODE is the smartphone game that assembles Lelouch, Akito, and other characters from the anime projects and allows players to experience various stories from throughout the franchise. Its gameplay has both role-playing game and simulation elements. It features brand-new, original story scenarios from leading writers and Sunrise, as well as numerous original exclusive illustrations. The staff bills the game as "the official sequel to the Code Geass franchise." :stonk:

The game's cast includes:

Shun Horie as Al, a boy with no memories

Yūki Takada as Gigi, a mysterious girl

Yumiri Hanamori as Archive, the librarian of the memory library

Sunrise, Okouchi, and Taniguchi are still credited with the original story, and Okouchi and Taniguchi are serving as executive supervisors. CLAMP is responsible for the original character designs. Kouhei Azano, Ao Jūmonji, Bisui Takahashi, and others are drafting each arc's story scenarios. JORO is developing the game, and the game features animation sequences from Sunrise.

The game is slated to launch in spring of 2021.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUI7AZESZ-I

I'm really looking forward to watching the animated bits of the smartphone game spliced together on YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman

Namtab posted:

How lelouch treats nunnally is part of this, he wants to see her again but also probably doesn't want her to be too sad when he dies, so he publicly humiliates her. This doesn't work.

I've started to come around to the idea that the public humiliation was to overtly signal that she was not receiving any preferential treatment just because she's his little sister, as that could make her a target for anyone wanting to lash out at him by striking at someone he cares about.

Given Lelouch's meticulous nature, I can see him taking into account all the little details about his death *(ie: sharpness and diameter of the blade, location of the entry/exit wound, rate of blood loss, estimated time to remain mobile/conscious, etc.) that would allow for him to take that dramatic fall down the ramp and land within arm's reach of his sister so that he could deliver a wordless deathbed confessional. While Lelouch has demonstrated he doesn't have a problem casually lying to her, it's possible that he couldn't bear the thought of her forever hating him as a result of a lie.

*If the suicide was planned to this fine a degree, it would require superhuman finesse and precision on the part of Suzaku, but he's already superhuman so I don't have a hard time imagining it.