Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Danger Mahoney posted:

Nah, it's not as complicated as all that. Sometimes you find an artist that makes neat music. You enjoy what they do and get pretty excited when they release new albums. One day they come up with a drastically different sound and maybe you don't like it anymore. Sometimes it's not a value judgment on the artist, but rather just plain old disappointment that their original style won't be available to you anymore.

Kind of like if your favorite burger place where you take everyone when they visit from out of town one day shuts down because the owner could make more money opening a subway franchise there. Good on the owner, he's doing his thing but the fact is you're not gonna get any more burgs.

For content, JNCO. Stupidest poo poo a human has placed upon their body.
"they changed their style and I don't like them anymore" is a perfectly legit thing, "THEY SOLD OUT" is a weenie thing because that phrasing and concept has some weird idea that being an artist and making money are morally opposed in some way ("sold out" i mean it's in the words itself) and also shifting the focus from your opinion of them changing to THEY DID SOMETHING INHERENTLY WRONG BY CHANGING, you follow me?

Slightly different than the usual thread content but when I was a really small child I liked watching She-Ra. Grew up and my mom got me a dvd for Christmas for the nostalgia factor - I tried to watch it and it was incredibly poo poo even for a cheap children's cartoon from the '80s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Lhet posted:

Being in a serious raiding guild in WoW. I mean, it was kinda fun, but at some point I realized I was scheduling around raidtimes, and that it had essentially become a part time job that I wasn't getting paid for.
Also was pretty into Gunbound for a few years, which really just wasn't that great a game. After a while it kinda ended up being more about hanging out with buddies on Ventrilo though, so I guess that's ok.

Gunbound was pretty drat fun. I'd rather tell people I play Gunbound and be like "Here it is. Yup, it's pretty much a cutsie version of Worms." vs "I play World of Warcraft. It's pretty much loving World of Warcraft."

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I can't tell if they were terrible or just firmly in the young adult category, but Animorphs. I just know enough not to try reading them again.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Don Gato posted:

Man, I thought I was the only person who played Droidworks. It was the best game because it had a dance button in the create-a-droid screen so you could watch your crazy droid break it down and burn up the dance floor. I actually don't remember much else about that game other than it being one of the things that started my love of engineering and making things.

I'm sure I have my Droidworks CD somewhere back home, I loved that game too even if I spent most of the time running around in the big test level. I did the missions up until those horrifying Imperial Droid started showing up and butchering me and then said gently caress that.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I got into WoW because of a girl I was sweet on. I am probably the gooniest goon.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Lord Lambeth posted:

I got into WoW because of a girl I was sweet on. I am probably the gooniest goon.

A previous coworker quit so he could move in with the girl he met on WoW.

WoW is weird because so many played it at some point that odds were good someone you knew was playing it that you never would expect.

I've been trying to clean up crap in storage and I ran across my old music collection and its just sad. Tons of movie soundtracks for the single good song, weird prog music from unknown bands, crap I had to buy to fill out BMG contracts.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

InediblePenguin posted:

Slightly different than the usual thread content but when I was a really small child I liked watching She-Ra. Grew up and my mom got me a dvd for Christmas for the nostalgia factor - I tried to watch it and it was incredibly poo poo even for a cheap children's cartoon from the '80s

I remember the Super Mario cartoons from USA years back and bought a dvd set at a local Big Lots. I watched with my friend just for laughs and we could barely make it past the awful rapping intro. The live action portion wasn't any better because it's so full of dumb Italian jokes for kids.

Had to babysit a kid one time and he ate that poo poo up so I ended up giving him the whole set.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

InediblePenguin posted:

If you think that's bad, try going back and watching He-Man. The episodes make no sense. I don't mean that they had a bad story, or that there's a problem with the flow or logic of the story. I mean that the episodes are literally characters wondering around, fighting for no reason, and driving the latest weird vehicle they are selling. They're completely bizarre and there are over a hundred of them despite the show running for only two seasons.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
He-Man was also hilarious.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

I remember the Super Mario cartoons from USA years back and bought a dvd set at a local Big Lots. I watched with my friend just for laughs and we could barely make it past the awful rapping intro. The live action portion wasn't any better because it's so full of dumb Italian jokes for kids.

Had to babysit a kid one time and he ate that poo poo up so I ended up giving him the whole set.

I'll let you determine if the later intro was even better or worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urrd7vfJLKk

For the ultimate in awfulness (and also terrible things you used to love), there was a Milli Vanilli episode.

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013
Sublime. I listened to the self-titled album recently and realized like 80% of it was filler, and the better songs only reminded me of more interesting bands. How was I ever stoned enough to like that crap?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
When I was a kid in the days before non-AOL Internet, Dean Koontz books were insanely awesome and my mom's romance novels (always with a white woman scantily clad over some native guy in buckskin with feathers in his hair's knee) were huge. I thought I was the smartest kid ever to sneak reading those adult novels because I'd always put the books back before my mom noticed they were gone...after I left my loving bookmarks in the books to mark where the sex scenes were.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

With those kind of books isn't it easier to mark the pages that are not sex scenes?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Sweevo posted:

With those kind of books isn't it easier to mark the pages that are not sex scenes?

Yes, but keep in mind I was about 10 years old and like all ten year olds, I thought I was loving Einstein.

I do remember one book that blew my mind, because even for romance trash, it was pretty out there. Standard 'Injun and cowboys time,' where a white lady was abducted and held by some unnamed tribe and used as the town bicycle. She had a son as a result of this, and died waiting for her husband to rescue her. Meanwhile her husband had remarried and had several daughters, and when he found out his old wife was still alive, was persuaded NOT to rescue her because that would make his daughters all bastards. His technical stepson grew up, ended up meeting one of his stepsisters (he knew who she was, she had no idea who he was) and proceeded to seduce and gently caress her throughout the book while taking her across the country back to her father. And strange for a romance novel, it heavily detailed rape and scalping scenes. There was also the really creepy fact that every time the main characters got it on, she kept fantasizing about naming their future son after some Civil War Southern general. Even at 10 I wondered a lot about the scenes where the main guy 'had to' rape the main girl 'to save her life.' It being a romance novel, he had to save her life a lot.

Along those lines, lovely horror novels that usually had words like Dark, Shadows, or Bloody as part of the title. I remember some weird one where a guy went around slicing off the hands of nurses. Another one were a nurse was a schizo and would replace living babies with dead ones, and kept all the live ones out in some desert house. And can't forget the one where a janitor at a hospital 'rescued' the remains of abortions and somehow raised them up as undead babies. Or the one about a 30 foot python who ate people in some country hospital about one every two or three days.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Yes, but keep in mind I was about 10 years old and like all ten year olds, I thought I was loving Einstein.

I do remember one book that blew my mind, because even for romance trash, it was pretty out there. Standard 'Injun and cowboys time,' where a white lady was abducted and held by some unnamed tribe and used as the town bicycle. She had a son as a result of this, and died waiting for her husband to rescue her. Meanwhile her husband had remarried and had several daughters, and when he found out his old wife was still alive, was persuaded NOT to rescue her because that would make his daughters all bastards. His technical stepson grew up, ended up meeting one of his stepsisters (he knew who she was, she had no idea who he was) and proceeded to seduce and gently caress her throughout the book while taking her across the country back to her father. And strange for a romance novel, it heavily detailed rape and scalping scenes. There was also the really creepy fact that every time the main characters got it on, she kept fantasizing about naming their future son after some Civil War Southern general. Even at 10 I wondered a lot about the scenes where the main guy 'had to' rape the main girl 'to save her life.' It being a romance novel, he had to save her life a lot.

All this time I had no idea Dominic Deegan was adapted from a novel. Huh.

God Bless Johnny
Dec 20, 2012

Have a cup of tea.
I'm sure someone must've already said it, but Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. I was obsessed. I will kind of defend it as great reading for precocious kids, but as you get older you realize he's just referencing heaps of actual events and religions throughout history. Made me embarrassed that I read the books not knowing that.

As a kid I thought "This guy's imagination is incredible! How does he come up with all this stuff?" And then I figured out that it's all first-year history and world religion textbooks.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
That hardly cheapens it. His events may not be original, but his prose is, and it is brilliant.

God Bless Johnny
Dec 20, 2012

Have a cup of tea.

The White Dragon posted:

That hardly cheapens it. His events may not be original, but his prose is, and it is brilliant.

That's true, I definitely enjoy his style. I think I just gradually got more and more disappointed when I found out characters, plots, countries etc were all based on historical things. Doesn't make him bad. Like, "And this is his History of Printing book! And this is his The West Discovers the Orient book!"

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Saved by the Bell.

Holy cow, is that show terrible. Not even in a campy late 80s/early 90s fun throwback way, but more of a diarrhea shitpool "what was I thinking?!" way. I used to loving love watching it every Saturday morning, and even remember when it was Good Morning, Miss Bliss, but I made the mistake of watching it when my sister had it on some cable channel recently and mother of God. It's not even fun or worthwhile to make fun of, it's that terrible and sad to watch.

Kind of want to keep California Dreams as a distant decent memory, but who am I kidding?

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
Homestuck and Wii.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
I think I'm the only person I know who can't stand Pratchett's writing style. I just can't get into it.

My shame: Dexy's Midnight Runners. I was REALLY into them my sophomore year of high school. This was in 2008, mind you. I had no reason to be that into them. I even did an intaglio print of the cover of Too Rye Aye. :psyduck: Why?

The movie/video game The Warriors. Still owns. :colbert:

Marilyn Manson. At least it wasn't Slipknot?

Gaia Online and all of it's knockoffs.

Gorillaz. I was OBSESSED. I checked the "official-unofficial" LJ website every day. Tries listening to them again a few months ago and I couldn't stand most of the tracks. I think I was more into the story than the actual music.

waldo pepper
Mar 18, 2005
We used to rent the Ernest movies all the time when I was a kid.

I was super sad when they think they're gonna lose the camp in Ernest goes to camp, and then I was super scared of the trolls in Ernest scared stupid, and then would rewind like, multiple times to watch when he gets electricity powers after getting the chair in Ernest goes to jail.

I dunno, maybe they aren't terrible at all, I haven't seen them in like 20 years, but I did begin to watch Ernest goes to Africa one time a few years ago and it was just the worst, I remember thinking, I thought this guy died a while ago? But it could just be that the later Ernest movies sucked, they lost the magic spark.

you know what, that scene with the pen ink is on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8pWEUZKIds

Come on, that's still funny now. Where does all the ink come from?

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Came_from_Outer_Space

Just read it. I ate this poo poo up when I was 12.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

waldo pepper posted:

We used to rent the Ernest movies all the time when I was a kid.

I was super sad when they think they're gonna lose the camp in Ernest goes to camp, and then I was super scared of the trolls in Ernest scared stupid, and then would rewind like, multiple times to watch when he gets electricity powers after getting the chair in Ernest goes to jail.

I dunno, maybe they aren't terrible at all, I haven't seen them in like 20 years, but I did begin to watch Ernest goes to Africa one time a few years ago and it was just the worst, I remember thinking, I thought this guy died a while ago? But it could just be that the later Ernest movies sucked, they lost the magic spark.

you know what, that scene with the pen ink is on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8pWEUZKIds

Come on, that's still funny now. Where does all the ink come from?

I have a soft spot in my calloused driftwood heart for the Ernest Christmas movie.

But then again my favorite Christmas movie is I'll Be Home for Christmas starring JTT so my taste in Christmas movies might just be really loving bad.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I have a soft spot in my calloused driftwood heart for the Ernest Christmas movie.

But then again my favorite Christmas movie is I'll Be Home for Christmas starring JTT so my taste in Christmas movies might just be really loving bad.

I still like Jingle All The Way. Who wouldn't want that jetpack at the end?

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013
When I was in 5h grade, I went through a phase where I was obsessed with aliens and I watched Mars Attacks every other week. I also remember those lovely UFO documentaries on cable TV blowing my mind, and asking the library to reserve a bunch of alien New-Age woo/conspiracy theory books. I really wanted to believe. At least my obsession got me into X-Files. :unsmith:

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

I think I'm the only person I know who can't stand Pratchett's writing style. I just can't get into it.

I got pretty into Terry Pratchett a couple years ago and read a bunch of Discworld books (5 or 6?), and it's hard to admit, but I think he might be terrible at plot progression and endings. Like there'd be funny scenes and some good characters, but the flow of every book felt like I was reading the description of the most generic fantasy movie possible.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I was pretty anti-theist when I was nine or so. Those were the days.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Pyramids is the only Pratchett novel I've enjoyed, and even that kind of disappears up its own rear end in the second half.

He has some great ideas, and hilarious dialogue, but that's not enough to sustain a novel. I feel the same way about Douglas Adams.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I was going to say I liked Monstrous Regiment but then I remember I really only skimmed it, because I kept getting tired of the loving puns and being able to see the next joke coming broadside. Good Omens was better than the work of either author on their own; they worked to temper each other a bit.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Twitch posted:

I got pretty into Terry Pratchett a couple years ago and read a bunch of Discworld books (5 or 6?), and it's hard to admit, but I think he might be terrible at plot progression and endings. Like there'd be funny scenes and some good characters, but the flow of every book felt like I was reading the description of the most generic fantasy movie possible.

Sometimes that's exactly what he's doing. The reason to read Pratchett isn't that he's the best storyteller or that he's totally original (honestly, I think he's neither) but because he's pretty damned funny. He isn't blatantly ripping off everything he can or trying to tell a good story he's trying to get you to chuckle. Part of the reason it reads as "most generic fantasy story ever" is because he's basically saying "generic fantasy is actually pretty bad." This is a guy that created an entire region of the world he describes as "basically every horror cliche you can think of.

I don't approach his books as if I'm reading stuff from a great author I approach them as if I'm reading stuff from a great comedian. Nothing wrong with liking Pratchett.

InediblePenguin posted:

I was going to say I liked Monstrous Regiment but then I remember I really only skimmed it, because I kept getting tired of the loving puns and being able to see the next joke coming broadside. Good Omens was better than the work of either author on their own; they worked to temper each other a bit.

Monstrous Regiment was probably his worst book, all told.

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Agreed. Too much paper-thin historical allegory, too much moralising, not enough funny. And if you know a little bit of British history you can guess the big plot twist just from the title. And I'm a big fan of his, too. Interesting Times and the Hogfather are my personal favourites, both are lacking in plot but the dialogue and satire is so great it doesn't matter.

On topic, loving EVE online. Took me two years to figure out that I was paying money to do work. Our corp had HR managers and org charts and everything. We just loved the "depth" of the thing, which actually made it more boring and spergy, but we were too busy forming committees to notice. Man, we were idiots.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

InediblePenguin posted:

Good Omens was better than the work of either author on their own; they worked to temper each other a bit.

Yeah, after reading enough Neil Gaiman you can start picking up on his writing tics. Good Omens had a levity I can't really pick up in any of his other work.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Axeman Jim posted:

On topic, loving EVE online. Took me two years to figure out that I was paying money to do work. Our corp had HR managers and org charts and everything. We just loved the "depth" of the thing, which actually made it more boring and spergy, but we were too busy forming committees to notice. Man, we were idiots.

Oh god EVE. Ugh...I played the hell out of that game too and was one of those industrialist economist guys. I was part of why the T2 market imploded and had massive spreadsheets that kept track of all sorts of madness. I got pretty wealthy in-game and I actually liked the number-crunching and spreadsheeting but was like "what the gently caress, this is like a second job." Every year or so I resub, goof around for a few days, then lose interest again. All told I don't know why I get that far.

No wait, I do know, it's because Goonfleet is hilarious and goon antics in EVE are always entertaining. I can play other games with goons though so I always end up doing that instead of playing EVE.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I liked it a lot better than Raising Steam. I think books 12-20 are where the series peaked. It was improving before that and it's been going downhill since. I wish he'd stop writing them, really, and do something else instead. Dodger was his best book in years, and I'm enjoying the Long Earth series.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

Gorillaz. I was OBSESSED. I checked the "official-unofficial" LJ website every day. Tries listening to them again a few months ago and I couldn't stand most of the tracks. I think I was more into the story than the actual music.

Gorillaz were legit good though?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Frostwerks posted:

Gorillaz were legit good though?

Yeah, like I think that Demon Days is seriously one of the modern classics. I liked that poo poo in middle school and still listen to it today. The self-titled one I can understand, being a good amount of filler with actually quite a few decent tracks. Meanwhile 'Plastic Beach' was mostly garbage, outside of one or two good tracks. But 'Demon' is seriously a loving genius album made just that by the amazing collaboration between Albarn and Danger Mouse.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
loving :laffo: how could I forget. I used to loving LOVE anime/video game music videos, Christ. POWERMAN 5000 WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE DBZ AMV, IN THE END FINAL FANTASY 8 was like my crack when I was a stupid tween weaboo.

And yes, Gorillaz are great. Sometimes I think this thread is more "things you used to like but don't now".

54 40 or fuck has a new favorite as of 04:05 on May 28, 2014

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

I liked both Marilyn Manson and Slipknot :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Yeah, like I think that Demon Days is seriously one of the modern classics. I liked that poo poo in middle school and still listen to it today. The self-titled one I can understand, being a good amount of filler with actually quite a few decent tracks. Meanwhile 'Plastic Beach' was mostly garbage, outside of one or two good tracks. But 'Demon' is seriously a loving genius album made just that by the amazing collaboration between Albarn and Danger Mouse.

Plastic Beach was my breaking point, I suppose. Demon Days and D-Sides are still great but the band certainly isn't as great as I thought they were.

• Locked thread