Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Nickelback. I don't want to talk about it.
Dave Eddings The Belgariad and the Mallorean - despite realising 2 books in that the characterization boiled down to racist? stereotypes, the female characters all sucked and Kheldar/Silk was obnoxious as gently caress and needed to go away and take drat near everyone else except for Beldin, the Twins and Relg.
Also, Babysitters Club, Sweet Valley High/Twins, Joanna Campbell's Thoroughbred Series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Nutsngum posted:

God damned yes. I dont think theres any overt racism as I tried to work out who was who the last time I read the books and the most I could pull was that the Murgos might be asian looking but then the rest of the other bad "Races" seemed to be just like everyone else. So basically a planet of white people I think.

However every single loving female character in the series are loving terrible reprehensible people. I was amazed at how much I actively hated Polgara's character through every single book. Eddings has absolutley no concept or idea how women actually think or act beyond awful sterotypes.

Garion also has zero defining character traits and simply is an awful character insertion puppet for the reader. Silk isnt so bad, one slight marysue character is nothing compared to how bad so many of them are.

As I recall - every nationality had a stereotype - the Arends were hot-headed; some other nation was populated by Ren-faire rejects. I found Silk incredibly obnoxious - especially since I was supposed to identify with Polgara and Ce'nedra. How come the boys get this cool badass whatever dude and I get the most useless immortal witch ever.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Marathanes posted:

In addition to those, R.A. Salvatore novels, assorted other D&D related novels and Mercedes Lackey novels occupied a great part of my adolescent to young adult reading. I don't read them anymore. Somehow, the distinction between good fantasy / Sci-Fi stories (Tolkien, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, Stephen King's Dark Tower Series, Heinlein, Haldeman, etc) and bad ones never really became clear to me until I passed the age of 25 or so.

It's surprising how much a difference fallible, non-mary sue characters make.

Also, Boone's Farm wine.

As a teenager, I was amazed by how awesome it was to throw a bottle in the freezer and have a diabetic seizure inducing alchoholic slushie in about an hour. I tried some a year ago and couldn't finish a single glass. Scotch and beer for me these days.

I loves Mercedes Lackey, still do to an extent - barring the Winds Trilogy. gently caress Elspeth and gently caress the Talydras fetishization. The Shin'a-in are cooler anyway :colbert:
One of these days I'll get around to re-reading Ann McCaffery - see if the books are as good as they were when I was 10. I suspect that the Animorphs didn't age well and the TV show was really crappy and I don't remember why I liked the theme song so much.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

kannonfodder posted:

Speaking of terrible books, I used to absolutely love the Sword of Truth series. I read the first few a half dozen times over, but once I hit the point in the series where the author writes a 600 page rant about how COMMUNISM IS BAD! I stopped reading them. Then years later, I started to re-read the first, and it was just unbearable. I have no idea why I liked them so much.

Most I recall is Goodkind's thing for female domination. You had the pain stick ladies; nuns with electroshock colors and a lady who could touch a man and turn him into a drooling Renfield sort. I gave up once I noticed that the series ran like a crappy cop show - bad guy does bad/creepy thing using gimmick power. Richard is immune; naturally - because he's a Rahl. Zed wanders in and out like a store-brand Gandalf. Richard kills bad guy/other people.

Wizards First Rule - Wear red to hide the blood stains.

The Runelords series. Good premise - steal other people's attributes; become a demi-god. Cross-species attribute robbing has interesting side-effects and is frowned upon. If your donors die; you're SOL. No idea what the plot was; lost interest.
The Ill-Made Mute. The author kept misplacing the plot in the scenery. A Pied-Piper was involved. And horses with anti-gravity shoes.

Anything, essentially by that dynamic duo of Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

Nora Roberts... half/all of the appeal was the (mediocre) sex. But I was 11.

AcetylCoA! has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Feb 4, 2014

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

whatshesaid posted:

Oh and of course I wanted to babysit when I was 12. I never got a job though. I've never liked kids, not even when I was one. Never understood them, what they're all about, and I never will. I just wanted to be a "normal" little girl who loves dolls and babies, even though deep down I didn't. Glad I grew out of that and became the rear end in a top hat I am today!

Oh good, I'm not the only one. "Why aren't I 'normal' like the BCC? When will I become like the BCC?"
Right up there with the Thoroughbred series - where every girl becomes a champion jockey and where every horse ridden by them is the next Secretariat/Zenyatta/Frankel and yet is somehow always the underdog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Aphra Bane posted:

Two that immediately come to mind are:

Beanie Kids - those $10 collectable bears sold in gift shops. They came with special cardboard ear tags that you were supposed to keep safe, which is a bit cruel for a kid's toy, but I guess the idea was that the future would have a raging beanie kid market in which you could sell your special edition beanie kids for megabux. I had at least 100 of them. Even though I did genuinely love them at the time, I still think back on them every now and then and cringe. What a waste of my parent's money.

Ahaha. Beanie Babies. I remember people camping outside of the AC Moore to get the newest release and paying 10 bucks. Can now get at the grocery store for 5.

This song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LahcSFleKm8

• Locked thread