Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I used to read the Pern books, when I was a kid and just excited about dragons and too young to pick up on the weird/creepy poo poo. As far as fantasy novels go, there are far worse series to have been into, but still - every book is just a lovely romance novel where a feisty young woman is tamed by the strong capable man she spent the first few chapters insisting she didn't need, but with dragons. Also it's not rape if your dragon likes it, a little bit of not-rape is apparently good for you, and taking it up the pooper turns you flamboyant.

I also went through a phase of liking country music just because everybody hates country music and I was 14 and So Different From Everyone Else. On the bright side this kept me from having to confess to having liked Limp Bizkit or some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Pipistrelle posted:

Oh man, where to begin... Well, for one, I LOVED Anne McCaffrey books, especially the ones about Pern. I still have all of them, they're tucked away in boxes down in my basement. I read them from ages 9-16. Yep that's right, all the way through half of high school. I still have some nostalgia for them, but reading what some goons have to say about them makes me think there's a lot that I don't remember... I really just wanted to have my own dragon, ok? Like really badly, I would have even settled for a couple of the fire lizards.
I picked up on the part where taking it up the pooper turns you flamboyant as a kid but I was just like searching for gay dudes in fiction to identify with and didn't realize the concept of "problematic" existed and applied. When I realized they all had the same romance novel plot is when I got bored of them and quit reading. But for the most part I, too, just wanted my own dragon. gently caress fire lizards, though, my family's always kept parrots and they're close enough to make me figure fire lizards would just be annoying

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Devil Wears Wings posted:

What's so wrong with listenable-but-safe music? Not everything has to be a challenging experience.

Yeah, "being one of those assholes who describes music as 'safe' or 'accessible' as an insult" is one of those terrible things I used to love myself

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Anatharon posted:

When it's all a band does anymore? Plenty.

That's what selling out always meant to me. Ceasing creativity for guaranteed sales. :shrug:

It's still a dumb thing to care about, plus it's basically saying "I know this band's thought processes and motivations better than they do themselves, and am a better judge of what they OUGHT to be creating than them too." Especially since a lot of people turn their critical engagement skills off entirely and simply conflate "is on the radio" with "has no creativity" (even bubblegum pop can be musically interesting and engaging in its own right - "Call Me Maybe" is, musically speaking, wicked interesting and does some non-standard things, but a lot of listeners still considered it "not art" just because it's on pop radio.)

I just found a Happycat tshirt in my laundry pile. Wow. I'd forgotten all about that stuff.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Danger Mahoney posted:

Nah, it's not as complicated as all that. Sometimes you find an artist that makes neat music. You enjoy what they do and get pretty excited when they release new albums. One day they come up with a drastically different sound and maybe you don't like it anymore. Sometimes it's not a value judgment on the artist, but rather just plain old disappointment that their original style won't be available to you anymore.

Kind of like if your favorite burger place where you take everyone when they visit from out of town one day shuts down because the owner could make more money opening a subway franchise there. Good on the owner, he's doing his thing but the fact is you're not gonna get any more burgs.

For content, JNCO. Stupidest poo poo a human has placed upon their body.
"they changed their style and I don't like them anymore" is a perfectly legit thing, "THEY SOLD OUT" is a weenie thing because that phrasing and concept has some weird idea that being an artist and making money are morally opposed in some way ("sold out" i mean it's in the words itself) and also shifting the focus from your opinion of them changing to THEY DID SOMETHING INHERENTLY WRONG BY CHANGING, you follow me?

Slightly different than the usual thread content but when I was a really small child I liked watching She-Ra. Grew up and my mom got me a dvd for Christmas for the nostalgia factor - I tried to watch it and it was incredibly poo poo even for a cheap children's cartoon from the '80s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I was going to say I liked Monstrous Regiment but then I remember I really only skimmed it, because I kept getting tired of the loving puns and being able to see the next joke coming broadside. Good Omens was better than the work of either author on their own; they worked to temper each other a bit.

• Locked thread