Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Today my team has gone 1/13. I am not liking this offensive slump all of a sudden. Some guys are getting days off but gently caress.

Edit: 1/20. I've lost 2 runs created these last 2 days.

Rand alPaul fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Murmur Twin posted:

I won a Awful Baseball this year. I was lucky to keeper trade Verlander/Price into Bautista/Stanton before the draft, which helped immensely. To everyone in that league - nice playing with you guys and I look forward to next year :)

Congrats. Too bad our thread fell into the archives.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I picked up Justin Turner as an emergency fill-in for the final round of the championship round of my leagues playoffs. After starting him during a few days where I thought he would start and then he didn't I dropped him for a 2 start pitcher before the cut-off yesterday.

I don't know how I made it out the door this morning after seeing he hit 2 HR last night. I hate everything right now.

DeltaAttack2go
Feb 6, 2003

what the christ
Pretty much my entire championship rides on that SFG/LAD series and everyone has been hitting on both those teams except for my guys, who have combined for 8/65 so far. Thankfully I'm somehow still in the hunt for AVG though, as my opponent is 13/72.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

What's Jose Fernandez's timetable for return look like? I might be able to pick him up in a keeper league and am trying to gague his value.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
He had surgery on May 16, so I would say around then is the earliest date he'd come back but probably a bit later.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

IcePhoenix posted:

What's Jose Fernandez's timetable for return look like? I might be able to pick him up in a keeper league and am trying to gague his value.

Probably before the All-Star break? Tommy John has a +/- 2 months recovery time for some guys.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

I can drop Greinke right?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

I've been trying to get him away from that guy all year. Best of luck to you, lol.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

I've been trying to get him away from that guy all year. Best of luck to you, lol.

I came close but in the end we agreed on a Dickerson for picks trade instead :(

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

I came close but in the end we agreed on a Dickerson for picks trade instead :(

Same frustration I had, probably. I don't think he actually wants to trade him.

Next year is going to be very interesting for my team. I have so many high risk players with huge ceilings and possible craters for floors. Harvey, HanRam, CarGo, Cueto... I have no idea if Abreu is real real, or just one year real, is this the real Todd Frazier, is Choo a corpse now, and most of all: what on earth is Profar going to do, if anything?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Same frustration I had, probably. I don't think he actually wants to trade him.

Next year is going to be very interesting for my team. I have so many high risk players with huge ceilings and possible craters for floors. Harvey, HanRam, CarGo, Cueto... I have no idea if Abreu is real real, or just one year real, is this the real Todd Frazier, is Choo a corpse now, and most of all: what on earth is Profar going to do, if anything?

Abreu is weird. His power went way down in the second half but like everything else went way up. I don't know that I'd be too worried.

Your obvious solution by the way is to trade me Harvey for multiple guys.

e: funny (and annoying) sidenote on Fernandez - The only reason he's not on my team is because I couldn't find him in the FA pool because I kept searching for "Hernandez"

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 25, 2014

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
There's not really a trade I can see happening between us. I don't need quantity, and I only covet the quality you won't touch. I'm actually having more trouble cutting it to only 10 than finding 10 to keep. It's not the worst position to be in, but again with the massive uncertainty... :shepspends:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

There's not really a trade I can see happening between us. I don't need quantity, and I only covet the quality you won't touch. I'm actually having more trouble cutting it to only 10 than finding 10 to keep. It's not the worst position to be in, but again with the massive uncertainty... :shepspends:

I'm legitimately curious who you're waffling on because after eight (maybe nine) guys on your team I have trouble figuring out who else you want to keep.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Abrey, Kinsler, HanRam, Profar, Frazier, CarGo, Harvey, Cueto, and Lester are all definitely being kept. That's nine.

The candidates for #10 are Choo, Morneau, Hunter, Rosenthal, Stubbs, and (likely) McHugh.

e: I forgot Gattis. He's a consideration as well.

SouthShoreSamurai fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 25, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Abrey, Kinsler, HanRam, Profar, Frazier, CarGo, Harvey, Cueto, and Lester are all definitely being kept. That's nine.

The candidates for #10 are Choo, Morneau, Hunter, Rosenthal, Stubbs, and (likely) McHugh.

I accidently skipped over Lester when I was looking at your team. McHugh and it's not particularly close. Choo is the only one I'd consider but I've always been down on him.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 25, 2014

DeltaAttack2go
Feb 6, 2003

what the christ

Schweinhund posted:

I can drop Greinke right?

I'm probably too late, but it sounds like he might get a few innings just to stay warm.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Tied 8-8 because of this bullshit:

that's cool, I didn't feel like winning anyway

DeltaAttack2go
Feb 6, 2003

what the christ
lol. that's not even bad.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
While I can't compete with those stats, my line is at least equally unfortunate.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

euphronius posted:

IN fact Jose Abreu is a prototypical sell high candidate. Sell sell sell.

40% hr/fb, .31x OBA. Ugly. As soon as those flyballs start getting caught, hello OPS 700.

:smug:

Well the homers left him at least.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

euphronius posted:

:smug:

Well the homers left him at least.

And that .900+ OPS over the last month.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I was half right!!!

NOthing went well this season give me something

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I tried to stream Vance Worley and forgot to start him. :downs:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I have two brothers in my league. One traded me Doug Fister halfway through the season and his start today pretty much sealed up the championship against the other brother :getin:

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I picked up Craig Stammen of the Nats to try to get some holds. Forgot to start him most of the week, remembered today just in time for him to give up 5 runs without recording an out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIMrFpnfvyI

e: and Corey Dickerson's going on paternity leave, oh my god my team is falling apart

tinstaach fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 27, 2014

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I went through my transactions list and thank God I am going to win this league because otherwise this poo poo would haunt me:

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

sorry Tanaka owners

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Schweinhund posted:

sorry Tanaka owners

he may have just lost me the championship :negative:

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Schweinhund posted:

sorry Tanaka owners

Hmmm...I wonder what happened. Let me check the boxsc:stonk:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

IcePhoenix posted:

he may have just lost me the championship :negative:

I was comfortably leading in all pitching categories and now I'm hosed except saves.

DeltaAttack2go
Feb 6, 2003

what the christ

Schweinhund posted:

sorry Tanaka owners

I started him, but my opponent started Paxton on Monday and my pitching has been lights out otherwise, so i made it out alive. Got real worried for a bit, though.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Down 8 to 3 going into the final day of the season. I don't like streaming but I feel like I have no choice. :(

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
gently caress you, Corey Dickerson, and your stupid baby. I need your power this week.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This is what my championship matchup looks like going into the final day

I feel like any score except me winning 12-0 is possible tomorrow, jeeze

Peralta saved my rear end after Tanaka's blowup today, christ.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

MondayHotDog posted:

Down 8 to 3 going into the final day of the season. I don't like streaming but I feel like I have no choice. :(

It's not gonna work! I hope at least.

You may have four guys starting today but I've still got Cueto, Cobb, and Zimmermann going. Your only real hope is that my offense shits itself today, which is entirely possible.

e: Hey, did you ever decide if we were going to start using keepers this season? I meant to post earlier but I'd be all for it and the rules you stated as well.

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 28, 2014

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I am bored this morning, so I thought it would be fun if I went back to look at the fantasy advice I gave through the year, and see how right or wrong I was. Why? Because I'd like to own up to my faults.

Twin Cinema posted:

How deep is your league? He could be a good sleeper. He's the Jays Top Prospect, throws a fastball into the mid-to-late 90s, and has an amazing slider. Basically, a pitcher who Ks a buncha batters, but has good enough command to not walk them. He's only 5'11", which a lot of people see as a weakness, but other than, everything is pretty positive. If he is a part of the rotation to begin the season, as long as he pitches decently, he will have a spot until the end of the season.

Other Jays fans who are more knowledgable about the Jays prospects may be able to correct me. I have never actually seen Stroman play.

Hey look, my first correct prediction. I am piling this in the "doesn't really count" pile, since I was just saying things I had heard from Jays blogs.

Twin Cinema posted:

I think the two are close in terms of preseason value. I don't think Weaver is about to collapse, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he has a terrible season. He is a pitcher with huge warning signs. However, I am not sure what to make of Sandoval. With that said, even at Sandoval's worst, he would still provide value, which may be more of a relief than owning the risky Weaver. I would probably make this deal, depending on who my other starters were.

This is Weaver's fourth straight season of decline, even though he is still an ownable pitcher. Sandoval had a horrendous April, but came back and had a good year. Sandoval had more value this year, I think.

Sandoval: .278/.324/.415 with 16 HR, 73 RBI, 68 R, 0 SB
Weaver: 213.1 IP, 18-9, 3.59 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, 169 K

Twin Cinema posted:

I'd keep Bailey. Rizzo could be a nice sleeper, and I think Bailey will build on his last two seasons.

Wellllllllll

Rizzo: .283/.383/.519 with 31 HR, 71 RBI, 87 R, 4 SB
Bailey: 145.2 IP, 9-5, 3.71 ERA, 1.23 WHIP, 124 K

While I was wrong about this (and I really hope the poster didn't listen to me), I am surprised that before Bailey was injured in August, he was pitching like one of the best in the league. Unfortunately, the first three months happened before those last 7 starts. But, Bailey could be a nice, cheaper pick-up next year.

Twin Cinema posted:

At what point do you start vetoing a bad trade? The gap between Gomez and Hart for a top-2 player like Cabrera is pretty large. Certainly, there's some sort of point where you give up the notion of "can't veto a bad deal unless it's clearly collusion".

For a large part of the season, it felt like I was on the wrong side of the argument. But, let's check back in to see the final stat lines for each player. The deal was made on April 7th, so I figure I don't need to eliminate that first week when Gomez was unreal.

Gomez: .284/.356/.477 with 23 HR, 73 RBI, 95 R, 34 SB
Hart: .203/.271/.319 with 6 HR, 21 RBI, 17 R, 2 SB

Cabrera: .315/.373/.527 with 25 HR, 109 RBI, 101 R, 1 SB

Even though Cabrera had a non-Miggy like year, he's still the player you would have wanted all year. It's not even close, unless you think those SB are worth more than Miggy's domination in every other category. Don't trade your first (or second) overall pick if he's struggling after the first week, especially for a second rounder who is doing well.

Twin Cinema posted:

I don't think anyone expects Buehrle to continue doing what he's doing, but he's still capable of putting up a good season. After his rough month and a half of starts last year, he was a good, effective pitcher for the Jays.

The people that are trying to sell Buehrle after his hot start may be willing to sell him for less than he's actually worth, just because they think that he's going to revert to a terrible pitcher any start now.

I am saying this could be a possibility, not that it is true for every case.

This post was made on April 20th. Since that point:

Buehrle: 174.0 IP, 9-10, 3.83 ERA, 1.43 WHIP, 100 K

Buehrle's second half had a really rough (realllllly rough) July and August, before bouncing back in September. In most leagues, he probably would have been dropped in those two months. However, his season line doesn't look that bad.

Twin Cinema posted:

He's not a stud.

He is a much better player in real life than fantasy, and when people say that, they usually mean, "don't go wild and draft Machado in the fourth round". I don't think he's a top-10 3B, and with the major injury he suffered, I am not really sure what to expect from him this season. He has value, but I wouldn't drop Adams for him (if this is what you're asking).

I made that post on May 1st. Since that point:

Machado: .278/.324/.431 with 12 HR, 32 RBI, 38 R, 2 SB
Adams: .279/.316/.450 with 13 HR, 60 RBI, 46 R, 3 SB

Machado only played until August, but I'd still give Adams the slight edge because of his SLG and RBIs.

Twin Cinema posted:

yes yes YESS!

In response to an offer of Rendon/Perez for his Dee Gordon. That post was made on May 3rd. Since that point:

Rendon: .283/.353/.461 with 17 HR, 62 RBI, 91 R, 16 SB
Perez: RIP

Gordon: .280/.318/.364 with 1 HR, 26 RBI, 78 R, 48 SB

So, don't trade good players for players with hot starts.

Twin Cinema posted:

I like Jennings a lot, and I would bet on him being an upgrade over Beltran this season (mind you, I try to avoid aging players, even if that player is Beltran). But, I am not so sure of that bet, and if he's not willing to do the deal straight-up, then like Combo said, there's no sense adding even more to the deal. Maybe try and find someone else to deal, if you can, or just wait.

So, Machado for Kemp? Yes. I would. You don't need Machado, and he's not a fantasy stud (this is where you and I disagree). But, if you have reservations, I wouldn't do it.

On May 6th. Since that point:

Jennings: .230/.298/.341 with 6 HR, 26 RBI, 46 R, 9 SB
Beltran: .229/.305/.379 with 10 HR, 36 RBI, 35 R, 2 SB

Machado: .284/.331/.445 with 12 HR, 32 RBI, 36 R, 2 SB
Kemp: .293/.348/.505 with 20 HR, 78 RBI, 64 R, 5 SB

The first deal had Kazmir attached to it, and I did not like adding him to the deal. But, I liked the second deal, and it turns out I was right. Unfortunately, I didn't pick Kemp up in my own league.

Twin Cinema posted:

Yes.

Adam Jones is, by far, the best player in the deal, and I really like Cruz in fantasy. You aren't even spending much to gamble if Jones comes back to his regular self, either. This is a clear win for you.

This was a Jones/Cruz for Gordon/Kemp deal. This post was made on May 13th. Since I have already discussed Gordon and Kemp, let's look at what Jones and Cruz did.

Jones: .286/.320/.490 with 25 HR, 76 RBI, 71 R, 4 SB
Cruz: .273/.335/.528 with 30 HR, 78 RBI, 64 R, 4 SB

A pretty clear win for the team getting Jones/Cruz.

Twin Cinema posted:

He's playing well, but I'd pass unless I was in a deep league. Once his average comes down, I don't see anything about him that is worth owning.

This was about Lorenzo Cain, and a post made on June 3rd. Since that point:

Cain: .294/.329/.411 with 3 HR, 33 RBI, 42 R, 22 SB

So, I was pretty wrong on Cain. He's was decent speed pick-up.

Twin Cinema posted:

Rios is a good, undervalued fantasy asset, so I like this deal. I am not so sure what his SB numbers are going to be, going forward, since he has stolen 12 but been caught 8 times, but he has the ability to be a 5 category guy (or even 7, really).

I am worried about Scherzer, too (and I don't even own him). If you can get a pretty good asset, like Rios, I would jump on the deal.

Rios for Scherzer. This post was made on June 20th. Since that point:

Rios: .230/.259/.315 with 1 HR, 21 RBI, 21 R, 5 SB
Scherzer: 122 IP, 10-2, 2.58 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, 141 K

If you wanted to pinpoint that exact moment Rios' season went downwards, and Scherzer's went up, then my post offers a pretty good point. I am surprised with how bad this deal actually turned out. Probably the worst advice I gave.

This was the last advice I gave all year, and it's probably for the best. I hope I didn't ruin some goon's season. It turns out I was right more than I was wrong, and while my best advice was probably the Machado for Kemp, my worst advice probably earns me more wrong points than right ones.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Welp. Final day.
I can finish 2nd to 4th. I've finished 3rd for the past two years. Its a curse, of good not great.

I'm going to have the pitching categories dominated and I won't even have hit the start limit (IP, K, ERA, WHIP, 162 starts).

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

mentholmoose posted:

It's not gonna work! I hope at least.

You may have four guys starting today but I've still got Cueto, Cobb, and Zimmermann going. Your only real hope is that my offense shits itself today, which is entirely possible.

e: Hey, did you ever decide if we were going to start using keepers this season? I meant to post earlier but I'd be all for it and the rules you stated as well.

Looks like it wasn't enough. Close as hell but you've got the tiebreaker and unless by some miracle Davis and Rasmus both end up with a W, you're gonna get the title.

It is gonna be keeper next year, Yahoo won't let me change it mid season so sometime next week I'll get all the info up with which rounds players can be kept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Well I hung on behind three home runs and some great pitching by pineda, greinke, and house. Second win in three years in this league :toot:

• Locked thread