Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

The Pussy Boss posted:

According to this, Jose Fernandez is the 6th pitcher taken, on average, ahead of Wainwright, Verlander, King Felix... He had a great season, but I'd have a hard time drafting a guy with one MLB season under his belt so high. Then again if he can pitch that well as a 20 yr old...

I agree with you, it's not like there haven't been a plethora of pinatas, errr pitchers, that have had an outstanding rookie campaign only to slump a little bit in their sophomore season.

I'd definitely take Waino or Felix before JFern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...
I just got offered Tim Lincecum straight up for Buster Posey. :laugh:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Future Is Medieval posted:

I just got offered Tim Lincecum straight up for Buster Posey. :laugh:

I would accept that trade.

Four years ago.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Who do I keep:

6x6 Roto (OBP instead of AVG, SLG, QS) with a $225 budget:

$30 - Miguel
$30 - Stanton
$19 - Choo
$11 - Pence
$10 - Ortiz
$10 - Rosario
$10 - Braun
$21 - Darvish

Leaning Cabrera, Braun, Ortiz, Darvish, Rosario, and Pence as of now.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

DoctaFun posted:

I would accept that trade.

Four years ago.

I countered with Posey for Bumgarner. The dude has Kershaw, so I was tempted to offer Posey for Kershaw, but I figured I'd ameliorate the "This is how ridiculous your offer is" in favor of an offer he might, possibly, accept.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I countered with Posey for Bumgarner. The dude has Kershaw, so I was tempted to offer Posey for Kershaw, but I figured I'd ameliorate the "This is how ridiculous your offer is" in favor of an offer he might, possibly, accept.

If I was him I would mash accept before the email even came through.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

I think Posey for Kershaw is in the realm of fair. I think you are giving up way too much for Bumgarner personally. But then again, they probably see that you have three catchers and want to get rid of one, so you might not get optimum value.

Unless you are in my league where some dude with like 8 OF's still gets top dollar for his 6th best OFer.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I turned Verlander at 2 into Cueto at nine, Grey at 17, Bruce at 5 and a ninth and a 21st pick.

Sure.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

DoctaFun posted:

I think Posey for Kershaw is in the realm of fair. I think you are giving up way too much for Bumgarner personally. But then again, they probably see that you have three catchers and want to get rid of one, so you might not get optimum value.

Unless you are in my league where some dude with like 8 OF's still gets top dollar for his 6th best OFer.

I seem to definitely not be getting optimum value - just got offered Rafael Soriano and C.J. Wilson for Posey.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

ZenVulgarity posted:

I turned Verlander at 2 into Cueto at nine, Grey at 17, Bruce at 5 and a ninth and a 21st pick.

Sure.

You know how they say in 3-/4-/5-for-1 trades, they guy giving up the 1 is always getting screwed? Not this time. drat, that's a good haul.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

ZenVulgarity posted:

Sure.

Way to go, that's a killing. It hinged on getting good players and Bruce is probably as good of a 5th rounder as you can hope for. Have fun with the free 9th and 21st pick as you replace Verlanders production with the 2nd round pick you get to make now :).

I'm really amazed at this trade, because Verlander by all accounts had a pretty down year last year. It's not often you get such good value after a year like that. In all honesty I don't know if I would keep him as a 2nd round pick, ESPCECIALLY if your pick is going to be early in the 2nd round when a lot of 1st round talent can still be available.

I seem to definitely not be getting optimum value - just got offered Rafael Soriano and C.J. Wilson for Posey.

Haha, yeah that's pretty bad. Worst case, you hang onto Posey as a DH and wait a few weeks until someone trotting out Kurt Suzuki or something gets fed up. Or just trade whichever of Mauer/Posey/Santana has the hottest April, to someone who has a lovely catcher.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DoctaFun posted:

Haha, yeah that's pretty bad. Worst case, you hang onto Posey as a DH and wait a few weeks until someone trotting out Kurt Suzuki or something gets fed up. Or just trade whichever of Mauer/Posey/Santana has the hottest April, to someone who has a lovely catcher.

Santana is moving to third, right? So you could theoretically start them all without using a utility spot after a couple weeks :haw:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

IcePhoenix posted:

Santana is moving to third, right? So you could theoretically start them all without using a utility spot after a couple weeks :haw:

:stare:. I didn't know that, that might be a pretty good option, then he wouldn't have to burn his 2nd or 3rd round pick on a 3B. With the way his lineup is constructed he's got a lot of speed in outfield and good OBP out of 1B/C/3B, pretty good power out of the C/3B spot and Bruce in the outfield. I'd really target a power hitting 2B or SS with that 2nd pick if one is available. If none available then maybe a high RBI/HR 1B or OF then a solid SP.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

DoctaFun posted:

:stare:. I didn't know that, that might be a pretty good option, then he wouldn't have to burn his 2nd or 3rd round pick on a 3B. With the way his lineup is constructed he's got a lot of speed in outfield and good OBP out of 1B/C/3B, pretty good power out of the C/3B spot and Bruce in the outfield. I'd really target a power hitting 2B or SS with that 2nd pick if one is available. If none available then maybe a high RBI/HR 1B or OF then a solid SP.

I'm not ZenVulgarity :v:

This is my team, as it stands:

And now after my first mock draft, my first actual draft:

code:
Round	Pick	Name		Position
1	1	Mike Trout		OF
2	20	Joe Mauer		C/1B
3	21	Troy Tulowitzki		SS
4	40	Adrian Beltre		3B
5	41	Dustin Pedroia		2B
6	60	Carlos Santana		C/1B
7	61	Buster Posey		C/1B
8	80	Jayson Werth		OF
9	81	Jay Bruce		OF
10	100	Andrew Cashner		SP
11	101	Shelby Miller		SP
12	120	Doug Fister		SP
13	121	Marco Estrada		SP
14	140	Steve Cishek		RP
15	141	Jim Johnson		RP
16	160	Matt Kemp		OF
17	161	Zack Wheeler		SP
18	180	Victor Martinez		DH
19	181	Hiroki Kuroda		SP
20	200	Carlos Beltran		OF
21	201	Travis Wood		SP
10-team H2H points, scoring as follows:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I didn't look very closely at the scoring before. I don't think I'd roster any pitcher aside from Kershaw (e: and maybe Kimbrel) with those settings, jeeze.

e: can you post a screenshot of the top scoring pitchers from last year?

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

IcePhoenix posted:

I didn't look very closely at the scoring before. I don't think I'd roster any pitcher aside from Kershaw (e: and maybe Kimbrel) with those settings, jeeze.

e: can you post a screenshot of the top scoring pitchers from last year?

Sure:

I had the 1-1 pick, so I could have taken Kershaw, but I'm a big believer in Trout and a big disbeliever in pitching in general.

e: Hey, why not, top batters too:

e2: I'm bored, so I decided to calculate how many points Pedro Martinez's 2000 season would have been worth: 748.

Screen Door Slams fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 8, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I guess it's not as bad as I thought.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
FYI espn leagues are open now huzzah! :dance:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Oops! My bad, ignore that post then :).

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

10-team H2H points, scoring as follows:

and here I was thinking nothing could compete with my work league's scoring

speaking of which, I need to figure out if we're doing it again this year, since the previous commissioner got fired like four months ago

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I have a grim situation in a 3 keeper league. The first two keepers, Goldschmidt and Kershaw. #3 is a mystery, or maybe I should just not keep anyone and have an extra 3rd round pick.

Brandon Phillips
Starlin Castro
Zack Wheeler

Also, I gave up Strasburg for Castro after Strasburg's injury year, have a good laugh at me. :(

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I joined a PRO100 league on yahoo drafting tonight at 10 pm, so far only 5 teams in it. Anyone looking for a $100 H2H league, you should join!!!

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/47186

I like drafting 1 team before spring training for the added injury wildcard factor and different rankings.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

coronaball posted:

I have a grim situation in a 3 keeper league. The first two keepers, Goldschmidt and Kershaw. #3 is a mystery, or maybe I should just not keep anyone and have an extra 3rd round pick.

Brandon Phillips
Starlin Castro
Zack Wheeler

Also, I gave up Strasburg for Castro after Strasburg's injury year, have a good laugh at me. :(
None of those guys are close to being a 3rd round pick. Take the 3rd round pick.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Schweinhund posted:

None of those guys are close to being a 3rd round pick. Take the 3rd round pick.

About what I figured. I can't believe I overrated Castro so much.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

And now I've been offered Masahiro Tanaka for Buster Posey. Thoughts?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

And now I've been offered Masahiro Tanaka for Buster Posey. Thoughts?

The only reason you'd make moves pre-draft is value. Posey has more value. Decline.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Anyone know a league that has an opening? I looked around here and couldn't find anything. I will be playing FBB for the first time, but have been playing FF forever.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
I'm sure some new leagues will start soon and returning leagues will open threads

on that note, I've been meaning to try out ottoneu for years but have yet to get around to it, anyone here interested in joining me in one?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm waiting for reply emails from some of my owners, but I'll probably be inviting people soon. Second year in operation, gotta kick out the people who went inactive.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I just did my first real draft of the season for a 12 team h2h yahoo $100 pro league. I think I like my team? I dunno... I had the 7th pick. A lot of guys I was targeting went early. I only have 1 closer, albeit a very good one.

C: Jonathan Lucroy
1B: Prince Fielder
2B: Jason Kipnis
3B: Pedro Alvarez
SS: Johnny Peralta
OF: Ryan Braun
OF: Matt Kemp
OF: Shane Victorino
UTIL: Aaron Hill
UTIL: Mike Napoli
BN: Chase Headley, George Springer, Will Venable, Miguel Sano, Adam LaRoche

SP: David Price, Anibal Sanchez, Michael Wacha, Doug Fister, Patrick Corbin, Jaime Garcia, Josh Johnson
RP: Trevor Rosenthal

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Anyone interested in joining an auction league? I'm Yahoo ID# 54396, A League for Idiots. 6x6 scoring, with OBP and BB/K as the added categories. 16 teams, Mixed league, Positions are C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF, OF, Util, 2 SP, 2 RP, 4 P, 5 BN, 2 DL spots for 25 overall. I promise to be the bestest commissioner ever!!! Draft is currently set for 8 EST tonight, so join quick I guess. I'm gonna post this on twitter as well, so hopefully we can get going by this evening.

edit; referral link: http://y.ahoo.it/A9Wruc38

MODS CURE JOKES fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 10, 2014

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Michael Corleone posted:

Anyone know a league that has an opening? I looked around here and couldn't find anything. I will be playing FBB for the first time, but have been playing FF forever.

The Nuclear Power Plant league (in its 3rd or 4th year I think) is going to have at least one opening and probably more. Its a keeper league you would be inheriting an existing team and selecting your keepers, and its pretty competitive, so maybe not the best for a beginner, but still if you want to give it a try.

I'm dropping out this year as I try to cut my fantasy leagues down to 1, so that's at least one team open.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
How do people feel about Holds? My league has Saves but besides that no one ever takes setup men, and the add/dropped list is usually a carousel of Closers demoted and promoted back and forth.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I honestly hate both saves and holds, but having both categories opens up a world of other relievers besides closers and long relievers that scavenge wins here and there.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Has anyone tried a league without dumb/arbitrary reliever stats? I feel like it would be freeing in a way similar to football leagues without kickers, in that you'd be removing categories that only result in anger and volatility anyway

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

uublog posted:

Has anyone tried a league without dumb/arbitrary reliever stats? I feel like it would be freeing in a way similar to football leagues without kickers, in that you'd be removing categories that only result in anger and volatility anyway

It would just be starting pitcher stats only? The problem I have is that pitching stats seem really weird to me in general. Both Wins and QS's are very annoying.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Rand alPaul posted:

It would just be starting pitcher stats only? The problem I have is that pitching stats seem really weird to me in general. Both Wins and QS's are very annoying.

Yeah, that's fair. QS are okay, but yeah, wins are just plain awful. The problem I find is that, if you use QS out of a necessity, you still don't really have enough categories without going to something really obscure. QS, K, ERA, WHIP...?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

uublog posted:

Yeah, that's fair. QS are okay, but yeah, wins are just plain awful. The problem I find is that, if you use QS out of a necessity, you still don't really have enough categories without going to something really obscure. QS, K, ERA, WHIP...?

My league uses QS K WHIP ERA SVHD and now hr/9

Dunno how I feel about that

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Combo posted:

The Nuclear Power Plant league (in its 3rd or 4th year I think) is going to have at least one opening and probably more. Its a keeper league you would be inheriting an existing team and selecting your keepers, and its pretty competitive, so maybe not the best for a beginner, but still if you want to give it a try.

I'm dropping out this year as I try to cut my fantasy leagues down to 1, so that's at least one team open.

When's the thread for that going up?

I'm interested in joining, so long as it's not an auction league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

Anyone interested in joining an auction league? I'm Yahoo ID# 54396, A League for Idiots. 6x6 scoring, with OBP and BB/K as the added categories. 16 teams, Mixed league, Positions are C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF, OF, Util, 2 SP, 2 RP, 4 P, 5 BN, 2 DL spots for 25 overall. I promise to be the bestest commissioner ever!!! Draft is currently set for 8 EST tonight, so join quick I guess. I'm gonna post this on twitter as well, so hopefully we can get going by this evening.

edit; referral link: http://y.ahoo.it/A9Wruc38

Can you be bad at this and still join

• Locked thread