Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combo
Aug 19, 2003

mentholmoose posted:

When's the thread for that going up?

I'm interested in joining, so long as it's not an auction league.

I don't know, its not my league :v:

I forget the guy's username every year, sorry goon league commish!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy
I prefer QS/K/ERA/WHIP/SV for 12 team mixed and shallower, QS/K/ERA/WHIP/SV+HLD for anything deeper.

In 12 team and shallower, there are enough closers and closers-in-waiting to go around, but if you add holds there is no scarcity in RP to make the category interesting. Anything deeper than 12 team and closers start becoming so scarce their value is artificially boosted simply because the whole league is chasing saves.

There just aren't a lot of good counting stats for pitchers that aren't already reflected in the standard ratio categories.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
That league of mine has approximately nobody in it, I missed the draft myself, and overall it's a microcosm of my existence.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Thanks for the responses, forgot about my post for a day or so. I will keep looking around, the Yahoo league linked that was supposed to draft last night didn't work. Probably too soon for me to draft anyway, got to learn the rules and who to draft, going to take most of my Tribe though, so if you want to take advantage of a homer, invite me to your league!

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

It's early but I'm going to cast out a net for interest in a Eurogoon league for the upcoming season. That way we can set a time for a draft that's not the middle of the night.

Anyone interested let me know.

RKRGoat
Jun 20, 2003

Does anyone know if someone has set up something like http://lastplayerpicked.wordpress.com/ I destroyed a league with an odd scoring system using that. Doing it by hand seems so dreadful.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

uublog posted:

Yeah, that's fair. QS are okay, but yeah, wins are just plain awful. The problem I find is that, if you use QS out of a necessity, you still don't really have enough categories without going to something really obscure. QS, K, ERA, WHIP...?

Yeah I played in a league that was QS,K,ERA,WHIP,SV. And some dudes drafted all starters, and some guys drafted only 4 starters and all closers. It was weird.

I kind of want to expand the roster on my league of 10 teams, use holds as a stat, and let people have relievers; but then if I expand there's going to be people stacking offense with those extra slots.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

uublog posted:

QS are okay, but yeah, wins are just plain awful.

I heard a neat stat on the ESPN Fantasy Baseball podcast a week or so ago: there were 213 QS last year where the SP had a 4.50 ERA, and 211 pitchers got a win with an ERA of 4.50 or worse. They didn't say how much overlap there was but a cursory search on B-R gave me 111 instances of pitchers that gave up 4 or more ER and still got a win.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

RKRGoat posted:

Does anyone know if someone has set up something like http://lastplayerpicked.wordpress.com/ I destroyed a league with an odd scoring system using that. Doing it by hand seems so dreadful.

You can set something up like that in excel. You can export a csv of steamer projections from fangraphs and start with that. It takes a bit of work to figure out what formulas to use though.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Still waiting for my ridiculous settings league to renew, where last year I advanced in one of my playoff matchups by .008 of a pitch per plate appearance

Batting

Batting Average (AVG) Home Runs (HR)
Runs Scored (R) Runs Batted In (RBI)
Stolen Bases (SB) On Base plus Slugging Pct (OPS)
Strikeouts (K) Pitches per Plate Appearance (PPA)
Errors (E)

Pitching

Earned Run Average (ERA)* Strikeouts (K)
Walks plus Hits Per Innings Pitched (WHIP)* Saves (SV)
On Base Pct Against (OBA)* Quality Starts (QS)
Holds (HD) Innings Pitched (IP)

*Minimum 10 IP

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
My team last year was pile of garbage. I finished second last. I get to keep 8 guys. Here are my players I've been thinking of keeping with cost to keep them in a $260 budget. I'm bolding the ones I'm definitely keeping:

Hitters:

Jason Heyward - $20
Pedro Alvarez - $7
Yadier Molina - $12

Nolan Arenado - $7
Brandon Belt - $13
Leonys Martin - $3
Anthony Rendon - $3
Chris Johnson - $3

Pitchers:

Mat Latos - $11
Homer Bailey - $11
Tony Cingrani - $3
RA Dickey - $5
Julio Teheran - $10
Matt Garza - $9
Mike Leake - $3

So I have half my picks solidified. I'm leaning toward keeping both Arenado and Rendon, and two of Teheran/Cingrani/Bailey/Dickey. I kind of want to hold onto Dickey on the off chance he has a mega season, though who knows? My other league looks easier to pick keepers, but this team has a ton of affordable guys making it easier to splurge at draft. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

At first glance, I'd cut Heyward loose at that price and use the savings to keep Belt.

e: and I hope you left out your obvious keepers or you're in like a 25-team league, yeesh.

tinstaach fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 12, 2014

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

It's a 16 team league and things have...gone south so to speak. I traded a couple of my more expensive guys at the deadline last season to load up on some keepers. Guys like Hanley who would have cost about 45 to keep.

I'm concerned about Belt's productions, though. He's been dicked around a bit but also hasn't maintained consistency when given the reins.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Belt goes for $6 on Yahoo and I wouldn't want him as my 1B at any price. Dickey goes for $3. I'd probably keep Rendon since he's at least an ok backup, and probably Cingrani just because he's the cheapest.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Belt is a heavy pull hitter in a park that's terrible for lefties, if he were on any other team he'd probably be a pretty good player for fantasy. You can probably just draft him for that price again if you can't get a better 1B.

Dickey I might take a flier on at that price depending on what you think your league mates will do with him.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I wouldn't keep Belt for $13, but I think he's playable in a 10-team league. First base is kind of shallow right now IMHO; to me it looks like there's a big dropoff after the first 5-7 guys.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I would keep Teheran over Latos even if Teheran was like $5 more. Teheran's really good and Latos is kind of peaked already. And wasn't Latos playing through an injury late last year?

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 13, 2014

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

The Pussy Boss posted:

I wouldn't keep Belt for $13, but I think he's playable in a 10-team league. First base is kind of shallow right now IMHO; to me it looks like there's a big dropoff after the first 5-7 guys.

Rotochamp has him as the 19th best 1B http://www.rotochamp.com/baseball/PlayerRankings.aspx?Position=1B

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I definitely wouldn't keep Belt for $13. I also think I'd look at letting Heyward go since you can probably get him back at a similar price, but I guess that depends on your league. Plus its not like you're hurting for keeper slots, you can keep 8 and from what you've listed I don't think you'll be using all 8 spots.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Thanks for the advice ya'll. I will go forward accordingly. I may consider letting Heyward go, though Josh Reddick went for like 23 last season, so who knows what Heyward will go for. I do need to shoot for some top talent, though.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Encarnacion (3B), Cuddyer (OF), Trumbo (OF), Santana (C/3B), Craig (OF), Posey (C) and Lucroy (C) should all be played somewhere else besides first base. So by this site's rankings, he's actually the 12th most desirable 1B. I'd also disagree about Rizzo>Belt, dude hit .230 last year.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

My big blind spot in fantasy baseball is weighting a guy's triple slash way more than runs and RBI, so I guess I'm just being ignorant here, but I don't see how this makes much sense:

pre:
Rank	Player	        Team	AB	R	HR	RBI	SB	AVG	OBP	SLG	Value

7	Eric Hosmer	KAN	580	75	17	86	12	0.288	0.347	0.438	$18
8	Adrian Gonzalez	LAD	570	79	20	91	1	0.281	0.341	0.451	$17

19	Brandon Belt	SF	530	69	17	81	7	0.268	0.348	0.457	$9

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

The Pussy Boss posted:

Encarnacion (3B), Cuddyer (OF), Trumbo (OF), Santana (C/3B), Craig (OF), Posey (C) and Lucroy (C) should all be played somewhere else besides first base. So by this site's rankings, he's actually the 12th most desirable 1B. I'd also disagree about Rizzo>Belt, dude hit .230 last year.

12th best is still bad and 12th best doesn't equal 12th most desirable. For me, Belt has 0 upside. I'd rather take a flyer on Howard/Swisher/Hart/Napoli and hope they have bounceback years than take Belt who can't even hit 20 HR. If they don't work out then you reluctantly take Belt or someone like him off waivers. If you're actually planning on having Belt on your roster on opening day you're doing things wrong.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I could see taking Belt in an OBP league but that's about it. He also loves going on extended streaks so he's probably a good waiver play for two months or so.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
So, I'm in a H2H yahoo league in which pitchers are a bit overvalued relative to hitting (due to wonky rules). Assuming we don't totally overhaul them, I have three keepers to choose from this year.

The following players I picked up off free agency/waivers(!!!) as they somehow went undrafted, so they'd count as my 26th/25th/24th etc picks:

Hisashi Iwakuma (was a strong candidate, but not anymore after injury)
Anibal Sanchez
Mike Minor
Michael Wacha
Sonny Gray

I also drafted Adam Wainwright 5th, so that would mean keeping him would cost me my 5th draft spot.

The only candidates for keeper in my hitting (which was poo poo) are the following:
Yasiel Puig (not drafted)
Buster Posey (round 2)

Hence my dilemma. I really want to keep Wainwright, and I know Sanchez is a steal as an effectively free keeper, but I'm undecided on the rest. Is Wacha worth holding onto, just so I can keep getting him as a free pick each year from now on? Is it better to get my 5th pick back and keep someone that went undrafted for value?

I'm leaning towards Wainwright (5th round), Wacha (26th round), and Anibal Sanchez (25th round) as my keepers. Stack my rotation early, and with minimal cost.

What do you guys think?

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
I had a blast commishing a fantasy football league, so I want to run the idea out of a baseball league with the same friends, but I really do not have any idea of what kind of scoring system would work best for a casual 10-12 person league. Not casual as in "half the league quits" but casual as in "very few people put in any extra effort". I'm pretty sure that I want it to be a H2H league, but no ideas past that. Any suggestions? Also, we did football via ESPN - how decent is their website/app for fantasy baseball?

edit: ideally, I want something that only has to be set once or twice a week, and not daily.

JoeRules fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 13, 2014

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
There are weekly fantasy baseball leagues with point values to different outcomes a la fantasy football. That's probably going to be your best bet if you're trying to recreate the fantasy football experience.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JosefStalinator posted:

So, I'm in a H2H yahoo league in which pitchers are a bit overvalued relative to hitting (due to wonky rules). Assuming we don't totally overhaul them, I have three keepers to choose from this year.

The following players I picked up off free agency/waivers(!!!) as they somehow went undrafted, so they'd count as my 26th/25th/24th etc picks:

Hisashi Iwakuma (was a strong candidate, but not anymore after injury)
Anibal Sanchez
Mike Minor
Michael Wacha
Sonny Gray

I also drafted Adam Wainwright 5th, so that would mean keeping him would cost me my 5th draft spot.

The only candidates for keeper in my hitting (which was poo poo) are the following:
Yasiel Puig (not drafted)
Buster Posey (round 2)

Hence my dilemma. I really want to keep Wainwright, and I know Sanchez is a steal as an effectively free keeper, but I'm undecided on the rest. Is Wacha worth holding onto, just so I can keep getting him as a free pick each year from now on? Is it better to get my 5th pick back and keep someone that went undrafted for value?

I'm leaning towards Wainwright (5th round), Wacha (26th round), and Anibal Sanchez (25th round) as my keepers. Stack my rotation early, and with minimal cost.

What do you guys think?

Posey's not worth a second round pick, and you absolutely keep Puig for that. I'd keep Puig, Sanchez, and one of Wacha or Wainwright. Personally I'd keep Wacha but I don't know that I'd fault you for sticking with Wainwright if you think he'd be taken before you can redraft him.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Yeah, Puig/Wacha/Sanchez as your last 3 picks is really, really strong.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I'd go Puig/Sanchez and either Minor or Wacha. Minor was pretty good last year, in my league with admittedly wonky settings he was the 16th best pitcher, scoring 386 points. Sanchez scored 389 points in my league, so they were pretty much identical(although Minor pitched about 20 more innings, so he wasn't quite as effective).

You probably couldn't go wrong with Wacha either, although he has less MLB experience. I think you get a lot more value out of them in the last round then you do out of wainwright in the 5th though. Wainwright is undoubtedly the better pitcher, but you might be getting a 1 or 2 round discount on him whereas you are getting a 15+ round discount on all the other guys(especially if people draft pitching heavy).

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Combo posted:

Yeah, Puig/Wacha/Sanchez as your last 3 picks is really, really strong.

Agree with this.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

It's close but I'd keep Wainwright. You want as many elite players as possible. If you play the cards right you can get third tier guys like Wacha and Minor off the waiver wire.

edit: These are 5th round pics: Hamels, Greinke, Sanchez. If someone offered Hamels + Wacha for Wainwright, I think most people would turn that down.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 13, 2014

burmart
Sep 14, 2002

10,000 Cunts
12 team 2-catcher mixed keeper league with 260 budgets. I need to keep between 9 and 12, with really high league inflation thanks to our minor league squads.

Do I keep Ian Desmond at 33? The other higher end shortstops who will be available in the draft are Jose Reyes, Ben Zobrist and Andrelton Simmons.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Who are your other keepers/potential keepers? The answer is almost certainly no, but with the right set of keepers...maybe.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I really like Ian Desmond but third round seems too high for him.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

I really like Ian Desmond but third round seems too high for him.

He said a budget of $260 so I'm assuming he means $33 and not the 33rd pick, which seems insane.

I'd like to see a list of potential keepers and their inflation price for sure.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Combo posted:

He said a budget of $260 so I'm assuming he means $33 and not the 33rd pick, which seems insane.

I'd like to see a list of potential keepers and their inflation price for sure.

Oh yeah, I completely misread that. $33 is about what guys like Tulo and Reyes were getting last year in leagues around that budget, I think. Desmond should go more around the low-mid 20s at the highest, I would think.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Sabermetric H2H Keepers league, keep up to 3.

The round you lose is based on where the player on your team was drafted last year. 1st-3rd round pick = lose a 1st round pick. 4th-7th round pick lose a 4th round pick. 8th round+ (or undrafted) lose an 8th round pick.

I was thinking of keeping Trout (1st), HanRam (4th), and Julio Teheran (8th).

Other reasonable players to keep (and the round I'd lose) would include
Pedroia (4th)
Crisp (8th)
Hosmer (8th)
Cobb (8th)
Bailey (8th)
Kuroda (8th)

Not sure whether 2B or SS is more critical, so HanRam vs Pedroia has been interesting to me. HanRam should be good for 3rd too, I just worry about his ability to stay on the field.

8th slot...Teheran had a number of monster games for a stretch there, but Bailey's been getting better and better. Not sure there.

Looking at my roster I'm not sure how I placed in the top 3, my pitching rotation was such middling trash.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Schweinhund posted:

It's close but I'd keep Wainwright. You want as many elite players as possible. If you play the cards right you can get third tier guys like Wacha and Minor off the waiver wire.

edit: These are 5th round pics: Hamels, Greinke, Sanchez. If someone offered Hamels + Wacha for Wainwright, I think most people would turn that down.

This is where I was leaning, Wainwright/Sanchez/Wacha, but we'll see. I'm definitely putting more thought into keeping Puig or Minor instead.

Thanks for the advice everyone. My only problem with Puig is that I hear a lot of people doubting his long term viability or predicting regression or something. Are these people just haters?

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

JosefStalinator posted:

This is where I was leaning, Wainwright/Sanchez/Wacha, but we'll see. I'm definitely putting more thought into keeping Puig or Minor instead.

Thanks for the advice everyone. My only problem with Puig is that I hear a lot of people doubting his long term viability or predicting regression or something. Are these people just haters?

The amount of ability that Puig has is worth locking down for a final 3 pick forever or however long.

If you're going to change out anyone for Waino it would probably be Wacha.

• Locked thread