Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Slaan posted:

So Heart of the Swarm is only $20. Is it worth the $20 to just play the campaign, or do you think its not worth it? I remember the missions being pretty fun in WoL even if the story was terrible, and its apparent already that the HOTS story is also amazingly bad. But are the mission designs fun enough to be worth 5 Mochas?

Story is embarassing. Gameplay is pretty solid. Multiplayer has kept me constantly and consistently engaged for an entire year, a feat unrivaled by any game I've ever played.

As someone who loves mochas, it's worth the 5 mochas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Star Man posted:

My dead zeez heart still goes :psyduck: over people not wanting to try multiplayer--even team games where you can do all the goofy poo poo you want and no one cares.
Yeah, I managed to crush another player in a 3v3 building nothing but zealots when our armies happened to clash while the rest of the players were busy elsewhere. He only had a massive blob of marines but the charge upgrade finished just in time for my massive zealot swarm to do a sudden and great surround. But team games can get a bit annoying when everyone just sits and techs to massing air units. Especially when you're not good enough to rush against the whole opposing team by yourself.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Star Man posted:

My dead zeez heart still goes :psyduck: over people not wanting to try multiplayer--even team games where you can do all the goofy poo poo you want and no one cares.

Oh, I played multiplayer in WoL but I knew that I was terrible at it and never really got above the second set of leagues (silver?). I don't have much time for multiplayer games, so I stick with things I'm good at. Is 4xWarpgate rushing still a thing? :getin:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The campaign is pretty good fun if you skip the cutscenes. It stays pretty varied and you get hilariously overpowered.

My only real complaint about the campaign is that I like to turtle, and almost every mission has a time pressure mechanic of one kind or another. I wanted more missions like one very late in WoL where it's just your base in one corner of the map, the enemy occupies the rest, and your only job is to wipe everything out.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Star Man posted:

I was contemplating signing up for that "learn to multiplayer with goons" thing but I don't have the time right now to actually dedicate to learning (which I would force myself to do)

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Aces High posted:

I was contemplating signing up for that "learn to multiplayer with goons" thing but I don't have the time right now to actually dedicate to learning (which I would force myself to do)

You can still participate, and I'm still happy to help anyone who wants to learn! :ssh:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Star Man posted:

Losing is not much fun and I do not have the time it would take to get good.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Just build 14 tempests and slowly move across the map spreading death and destruction! It's so easy!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Team matches with a friend against AIs are pretty fun for goofing off. Never found playing against other players to be much fun.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Team matches are incredibly goofy, especially if you get voice chat going and decide on some really dumb gimmick which you should do because team matches are where the gimmicks live.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neruz posted:

Team matches are incredibly goofy, especially if you get voice chat going and decide on some really dumb gimmick which you should do because team matches are where the gimmicks live.

When I do it, it's usually with a real life friend. It almost always ends in a horde of ultralisks supported by vikings and medevacs.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Cythereal posted:

When I do it, it's usually with a real life friend. It almost always ends in a horde of ultralisks supported by vikings and medevacs.

See this is the kind of stupid bullshit you can pull off in team games and is why team games are The Most Fun.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Cythereal posted:

The campaign is pretty good fun if you skip the cutscenes. It stays pretty varied and you get hilariously overpowered.

My only real complaint about the campaign is that I like to turtle, and almost every mission has a time pressure mechanic of one kind or another. I wanted more missions like one very late in WoL where it's just your base in one corner of the map, the enemy occupies the rest, and your only job is to wipe everything out.

If you're turtling as Zerg you're doing it wrong. Playing as Zerg rewards aggressiveness and continual expansion. If the campaign allowed you to turtle I think it would be teaching you bad habits for multiplayer (moreso than it does already, anyways).

That said the final mission of Brood War is basically what you are describing, except your base is in the center of the map and you need to wipe out all the enemies surrounding you. The way most people tackle it though isn't by turtling, but by blitzing one of the enemies ASAP to relieve the pressure on you and expand your economy so you can overwhelm the other two.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Yeah, to further reinforce that the campaign gives you a singularly brutal special unit that in the later missions can basically roll entrenched enemy positions all on their own if need be.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
None of these posts mention the wonderful magic that is perching.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
:siren:Bonus Update::siren:

As wonderful as team games are, this time we're going to look into the other things you can do in SC2 besides just RTS. That's right, it's time to look into the arcade... cabinet.

Source Video (No Commentary)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Lost Viking, huh. I never managed to get past the first boss. :v:

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, trashing huge bases is a lot of fun.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I remember trying team play. once we got out of the training play, it was just brutal unfun stomps.

Dunno if Bnet play has changed, but based on that I wouldn't recommend online play at ALL.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Goons are the worst, I wonder what kind of thing you people are smoking. The HotS campaign was not embarrassingly bad. If you could take Raynor's obsession with Kerrigan in WoL, you can endure similar things in the HotS campaign. For the rest, the story is a pretty average science/fantasy story, it won't win any prizes but it's not a ridiculous illogical plot either. The retcons can bug you if you know your Starcraft lore, but other than that it's perfectly fine to establish a framework for the missions to take place in. The HotS campaign is fun gameplay wise, and that's the important thing in my opinion.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Veloxyll posted:

I remember trying team play. once we got out of the training play, it was just brutal unfun stomps.

Dunno if Bnet play has changed, but based on that I wouldn't recommend online play at ALL.

Spoken like a true scrub :colbert:

I've played a whole bunch of really fun team games, especially when we ran goon teams.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Cythereal posted:

Team matches with a friend against AIs are pretty fun for goofing off. Never found playing against other players to be much fun.

Nothing killed my enthusiasm for multiplayer faster than other people.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Raldan posted:

:siren:Bonus Update::siren:

As wonderful as team games are, this time we're going to look into the other things you can do in SC2 besides just RTS. That's right, it's time to look into the arcade... cabinet.

You won. :stare:
Well done, I could never get past the first boss.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)

SugarAddict posted:

You won. :stare:
Well done, I could never get past the first boss.

I mentioned it in the video, but mashing the space bar instead of holding it down makes a world of difference. It went from being terribly difficult to not so bad. Killing everything faster also means you have less to dodge.

Also, my old keyboard prevented me from pressing the space bar and two directions at once. Being able to move in 8 directions also helps.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

on top of me just generally going to play through WoL I decided to give this game a whack too. I managed to get up to 600k on my...second or third playthrough and that is probably the best I have ever done in a bullet hell game. Unless we're talking about Raptor :D

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I think I got the second score achievement before finally using my PS2 controller to get the third achievement. I'd recommend anyone who wants the Lost Viking achievements to do the same with their game controller of choice and Joy to Key.

As far as shmups go, Lost Viking is pretty easy. It's just slow and not very entertaining. The arcade version of Gradius is about 30 minutes long and features seven stages while Lost Viking is three stages in a fifteen-minute long loop. You pretty much have to finish three loops to get the highest score achievement and I would rather spend that 45 minutes on a better shmup like Gradius II.

The rapid fire is also pretty bad. I think you get more than one projectilenon screen at a time by holding down the key, but it's still better to hit the key repeatedly. But arcade shmups never really had rapid fire and Japanese arcades would install a rapid fire circuit into the the buttons so you could rapid fire. Not that it excuses Lost Viking, but there's some shmup trivia for you.

I've also never played The Lost Vikings before. The only warly Blizzard game I've ever played was Blackthorne, which gets referenced in Diablo III. I don't know if there are any references to Rock 'n Roll Racing out there.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 28, 2015

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Aces High posted:

on top of me just generally going to play through WoL I decided to give this game a whack too. I managed to get up to 600k on my...second or third playthrough and that is probably the best I have ever done in a bullet hell game. Unless we're talking about Raptor :D

Ha. This gamee is nowhere close to being a bullet hell. I've seen more bullets in a Gradius game and those aren't even considered bullet hell games.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

that's why I was amazed I had done so well, a friend showed me a Touhou game once and I couldn't even go like 30 seconds before getting a game over

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
And even then, touhou is pretty much an entry level difficulty bullet hell, mainly because it's based on beautiful patterns instead of random rear end bullshit :v:

Speaking of which, someone remade a touhou level in sc2 way back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anPx9e3xE4Y

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Aces High posted:

I also managed to get the gold achievement here, somehow. Still not good enough to beat the campaign on Brutal, though. :(

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm sure there'd be a bunch of thread participants who'd love to join in arcade games. I know I would.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
Has the multiplayer arcade scene diversified at all? The last time I looked it was basically 10 copies of special forces and like one rpg map that would take forever to learn + actually play.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

That depends, do you like the forum game Mafia but wished it had a time limit of 30 seconds per phase? How about Tech Wars, the game where you build the minions of a DOTAlike? Or maybe you wanted DOTA but with spaceships and no lanes or interesting skills.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Is Desert Strike still a thing?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

GunnerJ posted:

Is Desert Strike still a thing?

Desert Strike is definitely still a thing.

There are dozens of tower defense mods, some of which are even competitive (?!). There are a lot of "structures make units automatically" both of the "you don't control them (like Desert Strike)" and the "you control them (like Marine Arena)" varieties. There is one featured arcade title that is a coop mode against bosses that I assume vaguely resemble the boss fights in a specific Heart of the Swarm mission, with character progression and skill trees.

There is also Star Party, which is totally not a Mario Party clone, and Ice Banelings, a SC2 version of a platformer in an RTS.

We also have Zealot Hockey, which is fairly popular, and there are even semi-regular tournaments that get casted on twitch. There is also Super Strikers, a very arcadey soccer game. Pure CTF owns, but you need to bring your friends to play that one, as I think it waned in popularity quickly, but it is a simple arena styled CTF game.

And I guess you could include Starbow, which tries to hybridize SC2 and Brood War in one custom mode, generally using Brood War maps. The developers still hold regular Starbow tournaments, also, with a token $50 prize pool. Starbow had a huge explosion in popularity for about three months, and now is played by a few dedicated fans.

sirtommygunn posted:

Or maybe you wanted DOTA but with spaceships and no lanes or interesting skills.

Hey, you leave Warships alone. :colbert:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I'd personally like to see a warships game, never really got into that one myself.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Huh, I didn't know Starcraft 2 had a free thing. I remember playing a poo poo ton of time on "Use Map Settings" maps back in Brood War Battle.net, I'm going to have to look into this because to see it for free sounds awesome.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Are there any of those co-op defend the middle with cool heroes that level up maps that spawned DotA/AoS/etc? I know I played those a lot in WC3 before UMS games were nothing but DotA.

Or Protect the President from SC1?

I don't really check out the arcade much.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Tyty posted:

Are there any of those co-op defend the middle with cool heroes that level up maps that spawned DotA/AoS/etc? I know I played those a lot in WC3 before UMS games were nothing but DotA.

Or Protect the President from SC1?

I don't really check out the arcade much.

Not exactly the same, but I really dug Enfo's and Fuza's team survival back in the WC3 days. I probably spent a year playing those games with my friends before it got too expensive to play at my cybercafe.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Rick_Hunter posted:

Not exactly the same, but I really dug Enfo's and Fuza's team survival back in the WC3 days. I probably spent a year playing those games with my friends before it got too expensive to play at my cybercafe.

Enfos is still good. There are tons of legitimately fun maps for wc3 that no one plays anymore. There is the makemehost.com site, which makes a bot host the game under your specifications and you control it with in game chat commands, so if goons ever wanted to get together to relive some of the old maps, it's totally doable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah the WC3 custom maps scene made the SC2 custom maps scene look like a goddamn joke. Which is sad because SC2's editor is so much better and can do way more things, but I guess the huge bubble of WC3 custom map makers grew up and got jobs rather than moving on to SC2.

• Locked thread