Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 34 minutes!

AradoBalanga posted:

Yeah, the only named character who is actually was a previous player character from SC1 is Artanis, as he's the Executor you play as in the original Protoss campaign before Tassadar's death causes what's left of the Protoss to promote Artanis to Praetor.

I thought Selendis was the Protoss PC from Brood War?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation

Feinne posted:

I actually really like Raynor's arc so far in Wings and Heart, we'll see how he enters into Legacy of the Void when that comes out (I'm hoping we start getting some news about it soon because I'm really interested in how they're going to format the Protoss campaign given how different the Terran and Zerg ones are).

He sure as heck is more interesting than Kerrigan, now that she's fallen into the classic Blizzard "Female characters must be evil or driven by their relationships with men, no exceptions" character type.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation

Synastren posted:

Counterpoint: Jaina Proudmoor & Silvanus

They're both defined by their relationships to Arthas and have since gone moustache-twirling evil in WoW these days.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation

AradoBalanga posted:

I think the only exception to that is Maiev Shadowsong, who's whole schtick during Frozen Throne is "KILL ILLIDAN!!" or "Deep brooding jerk".

Unless WoW changed that, like almost everyone in the Warcraft universe.

Maiev is largely an accessory to Illidan's character. WoW played that pretty straight - she vanished after Illidan died and has been MIA since. According to the books, apparently (haven't read them myself) she's been going crazy off-screen.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation

Feinne posted:

I actually have to disagree with you, I think she's less "evil or driven by relationship with men no exceptions" in Heart of the Swarm than she was in original SC and Brood War. I see where you're coming from on that being a problem Blizzard has but I think her Heart arc is pretty good (though of course at some level we have to wait for Legacy to see how they're planning to tie this all up).

That said since I don't really want to spoil the end of the second campaign during the second mission of the first I'm willing to agree to disagree here.

Kerrigan's SC2 story fell flat for me after the prison ship level in HotS. You know the one. From strong, confident leader to instant wreck willing to die in the span of about ten seconds.

At least Abathur is around to save that campaign.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation

Psion posted:

It's such a shame, because Firebats are cool. But yeah, not really that great a unit.

This is one of the problems I have with Wings of Liberty. Most of the campaign-only units aren't very useful. The game does try to make each mission where a unit is introduced showcase that unit's strengths, but in the end you're stuck with a lot of units you just won't build. Firebats aren't the last unit that I found myself asking "Why would I build these when I can build X instead that's cheaper/better at the same job?"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation

TwoPair posted:

As much as I want to take the paragon option and save the people in danger, let's see the new toys and Smash and Grab.

Fortunately, missions don't go away. Agria will still be there afterwards. Some missions become significantly easier if you grab the right unit from a different mission series first.

Happily, marauders are one of those units that never goes out of style, at least in my experience. Marines, marauders, and medics can steamroll most maps.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation

Sunning posted:

I'm pretty sure Artanis survives in the final Brood War mission.

He did. Artanis will make a very brief appearance in this game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation

Laradus posted:

Think Korhal gets a few nukes in BW as well (as a bit of infestation as well) - it cleans up nicely. :)

To the point that it's a minor plot point in BW that since Korhal is already an irradiated wasteland, Mengsk is more than willing to fling every nuke he has at the UED invasion force.

Then again, you could justify the planet's appearance in WoL by saying that you're only visiting the nice part of the planet where the terraforming has been most successful. HotS shows that the outskirts of the capital are still pretty barren.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Combat Shields, Advanced Medic Facilities, and The Devil's Playground.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation

Calax posted:

Not gonna lie, I feel like we're just gonna end up metagaming the hell out of the upgrades... but shields should be worn by all marines.

I don't think it will end up being metagaming so much as many campaign-only units just not being very good. Firebats are a good example. Sure, they're tanky for infantry and clean out zerglings and zealots effectively. Their upgrades make them more so at both. Thing is, though, there's no shortage of units good at massacring zerglings and zealots, and two of them are available on missions we have access to right now. Said units are also much faster than firebats and have longer range. And while tanky infantry are kind of good, medics go a long way towards making more fragile and powerful infantry units last longer. Firebats are further hampered by having the shortest range of any unit in the Terran lineup.

So yes, you can use firebats if you want to and upgrade them to make them better. But you could also use and upgrade hellions or marauders instead, which are the superior choices in most respects. Even then, you usually only need one of the two.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation

Mordaedil posted:

I kinda like how Tychus has an excuse at this point, and can actually throw Raynor off a bit. I just wish his attitude was more in alignment with trying to fool the audience consistantly.

I think that's supposed to be the point. We, the players, know that something's amiss with Tychus. Raynor probably would pick up on it if he wasn't blinded by loyalty to his old friend.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation

Calax posted:

I think part of this also gets down to how they unlock units,

This is my biggest issue with the setup. Some missions become trivial depending on your mission path because of the units you get. Siege tanks, for example, are far better at Matt Horner's first mission than the unit you're given in that mission. Wraiths tear through Hanson's final mission because they lack a certain weakness of the unit you're given for that one. Hellions are good in Outbreak, but Reapers are even better in my experience.

This method of unit acquisition messes with the difficulty curve of the game, I feel. Every mission is designed to showcase the strengths of the unit introduced there and tends to be good at it, but then that feeds back into my dissatisfaction with the number of units that you just won't use much in the campaign.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Combat Shields

Shrike Turret

The Devil's Playground

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
U-238 rounds, concussive shells, Welcome to the Jungle.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation

Zomborgon posted:

Outbreak may be the most fun mission in the early campaign, especially in the progressive-defense aspect, though it can end in a bit of a slog by the end.
Concussive shells open up a lot of strategic options against short-ranged or melee enemies, even more so with height advantage.

Outbreak and Welcome to the Jungle are both good missions. Outbreak is a lot of fun, but hellions aren't particularly useful afterwards, especially as the thread seems to want U-239 rounds for reapers. Welcome to the Jungle is also a fun little mission, will award a protoss research upgrade, and goliaths are pretty good units.

The Great Train Robbery... I can take it or leave it, but it does lead to two of the most entertaining missions in the game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Advanced Medic Facilities, Perdition Turret, Welcome to the Jungle

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation

chiasaur11 posted:

Raynor, has anyone told you you're kind of a lovely person?

Well, this is the second time he's done this in the campaign after Smash And Grab, so it's a bit late to be growing a conscience.

Ares-class targeting systems, ultra capacitors, The Dig

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
A note on that mission - I always found a lot of luck just sticking a couple SCVs into a spare command center and landing it at whatever altar my army is currently at, harvesting, then lifting off and moving on to the next. Makes for short trips from the altars to the command center and a command center tagging along with your army is a lot less vulnerable than a SCV in the open.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation

DFlux posted:

As for the the stealing battlecruisers thing I don't remember. Don't really remember much about Brood Wars really.(its been to long)I just remember the gist of each episode.

It's the second UED mission. You raid the Dominion's primary shipyard to hijack their reserve fleet in drydock and then use it to wipe out the Dominion response fleet.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation

biosterous posted:

It's too bad that sometimes you have to guard an NPC convoy, but hey, that's and RTS staple, so even if it's lame it'll be in there.

Fortunately, SC2 gets that one out of the way nice and early. My personal bugbear of a mission is much later in the game, one that forces you to use Terran building mobility to the utmost.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Maelstrom Rounds, Micro-Filtering, The Great Train Robbery

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation

Laughing Zealot posted:

There's a good chance that she will be the main character of the Protoss expansion.

Blizzard's already confirmed that Zeratul will be the protagonist, sorry.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation

Laughing Zealot posted:

I apparently blocked this from my memory. That was rather disappointing to hear.

Probably for the best. I dread to think what Blizzard would do with Selendis as a protagonist, given how they write every notable female character in all of their games.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation

Loxbourne posted:

I don't quite get the Diamondback hate, though. They were useful armour-killers later; they're like Hellions but bigger and better against tanks. I can see why Blizzard didn't put them in multiplayer, but they're fun to play around with. More use against other Terrans, but I had some success using them as hit-and-run units on a few upcoming missions.

My problem with all the campaign units is that depending on what you choose to upgrade, a lot of units in the game become redundant. In this thread, we elected to kit out Goliaths. Which is fine, Goliaths are a good unit. But the Haven mission offers the Viking, which fills the same niche as the Goliath, just in a different way. But since we already have maxed out Goliaths, there's no particular point to kitting out Vikings. Diamondbacks are fast anti-tank units, yes, but marauders or siege tanks in tank mode do just as well with a dropship to ferry them around. There's nothing wrong with Diamondbacks, but there are better options for their role except in very particular situations. The Great Train Robbery is designed to showcase those situations, but siege tanks honestly work just as well if not a bit better.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
I mainly miss the SC1 style conversations. More than two people in most conversations and the writing felt much better than SC2's, which tends towards the melodramatic even without getting into what Metzen has said is the real focus of the Starcraft 1 and 2 storyline.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation

Speedball posted:

So, uh, why does Zeratul wear a veil? He's got no face to hide!

I think it's just how dark templar dress.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation

AradoBalanga posted:

Errr...I do believe Zeratul is about a good few centuries OLDER than Selendis.

More like millenia. Near as anyone can tell, Protoss are elves in that they seem to have an indefinite natural lifespan.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation

Suspect Bucket posted:

It was accidentally thrown out with the Vulture blueprints.

Would you really use vultures when you have hellions, though?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation

JT Jag posted:

Maybe he was just angling to kill anyone who had detailed knowledge regarding his rise to power? All Stalin-style.

Kerrigan was one of the Ghosts who killed his father. Yes, really. No, it's never mentioned in the games.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation

Feinne posted:

The best you can say about Metzen is that he's played slightly with the plot of WoW by having a guy who's just always been an rear end in a top hat as the most recent major villain.

Mengsk fits that category as well, really. No secret corruption, no grand evil, just a power-hungry rear end in a top hat.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

So is there anything really good we want on either research tree? Something that makes Seige tanks... Seigier?

Tech reactors from the protoss tree. Make two siege tanks from a factory at a time. Also, hercules dropships for ferrying mech armies around.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation

Kurieg posted:

But the alternative to Hercules Dropships is Predators, and dropships are really not all that great in campaign outside of the missions where you're spoon fed them.

I never found Predators useful. They're good at killing swarms of light units as I recall. You know, the same job that firebats, hellions, and one later campaign-only unit are designed for. Hercules dropships can be useful for shuttling a big mech army around some maps.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation

WFGuy posted:

StarCraft is not that, regrettably. Maybe they can turn it around later, but I'm not holding my breath for Kerrigan.

This is a problem with Blizzard in general. Their level of writing when it comes to female characters is somewhere between "They have COOTIES!" and "They have BOOBS!"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation

Samuel posted:

Again I won't argue Kerrigan's design is wierd and her story forced, but you see where I'm taking this I hope.

I do, and I maintain that Blizzard consistently has major issues when it comes to their writing and portrayal of female characters. It's probably at its worst in the Warcraft franchise, but more prominent in Starcraft due to Metzen's insistence that the heart of the Starcraft story is the love story between Raynor and Kerrigan.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation

Synastren posted:

Something like half of all people who have played SC2 have never touched multiplayer.

*raises hand* I'm one of them. I found the very chess-like nature of SC1's multiplayer to be extremely uninteresting, saw that SC2's was the same way, and never glanced at the multiplayer windows again.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation

Disco Infiva posted:

I think the origin of it were the sci-fi movies in the 70s where unimportant henchmen were all faceless goons with big helmets, while the important protagonist/villain and their important sidekick/lieutenant wore nothing and showed us their faces.

Also, conservation of detail. Easy to just use generic art and portraits for irrelevant characters and units, saving actual face and model work for characters that matter.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Maelstrom Rounds, Breakout, Help Tosh, Hercules

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Edited for spoilers.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Blizzard has also noted that the Protoss just don't think like humans do, and they aren't really rational in any human sense. It's their answer for why the Protoss only now reactivated the Colossi and decided their brief appearance in Heart of the Swarm's story was somehow a logical and sensible goal.

• Locked thread