Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

killhamster posted:

bitcoinpolitics.png

isn't this the libertarian equivilant of voting every option in a checkbox poll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Lamont Cranston posted:

i'm not sure why you'd go out of your way to say you don't understand japanese or latin
i mean i imagine he doesn't understand most languages why single those out

conservapedia

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
just noticed he doesn't support abortion even when the mother is at risk

lol

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Lamont Cranston posted:

i'm not sure why you'd go out of your way to say you don't understand japanese or latin
i mean i imagine he doesn't understand most languages why single those out

┌─────────────────────────────────────┐
│ I refuse to accept the existence of │
│ cultures other than my own.         │
└─────────────────────────────────────┘

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:

stoutfish posted:

just noticed he doesn't support abortion even when the mother is at risk

lol

women are just flesh sacks for making babies

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
always abort every baby

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

god wanted you to die and then for the child to also die

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

about time the bene tleilax got some representation in the 'pos

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

ANAmal.net posted:

no abortion but in his christian monarchist theocracy the death penalty is fine

look we care about your life a great deal when you're inside a woman but the minute you get out you're on your own, pal

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

are just flesh sacks for making babies

Troglyfe
Jan 2, 2014

he doesn't seem like a very decisive guy

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

stoutfish posted:

god wanted you to die and then for the child to also die

i am reminded of this bunch http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/ (front page probably sfw but there's dicks and stuff if you start clicking)

www.churchofeuthanasia.org posted:

The Four Pillars:
suicide · abortion
cannibalism · sodomy

they're not very active these days. maybe they all died.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
isn't tonal just hexadecimal with a bunch of weird characters? why doesn't this guy just use normal hex?

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Boxturret posted:

isn't tonal just hexadecimal with a bunch of weird characters? why doesn't this guy just use normal hex?

yes and because he's a fuckwit

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
just noticed i spelt society wrong in the thread title

what the gently caress is "i before e expect after c" good for

goddamn

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
Just saw this:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygre...um-prison-time/

quote:

In the indictment released Tuesday, Ulbricht is charged with not only engaging in a narcotics, hacking and money-laundering conspiracy, but a “continuing criminal enterprise,” a charge sometimes referred to as the “kingpin statute.” That law applies to alleged criminal organizations with six or more members organized by a single leader. And it brings Ulbricht’s potential minimum prison sentence to 30 years when added to the 10-year minimum sentence associated with the narcotics conspiracy charge. Both charges also carry a maximum sentence of life in prison.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

does that mean they've nabbed 5 other people as well?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Cantorsdust posted:

does that mean they've nabbed 5 other people as well?

i think they arrested several dealers around the same time, but i don't know if they count

they aren't including the murder charges :(

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

stoutfish posted:

goddamn

also remember that "weird" is weird.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
hmm yes, the english language should use words that have the vowels i and e right next to each other

this is good idea

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

stoutfish posted:

goddamn

its "I before E except after C but when it sounds like an A its the other way"

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
that reminds me. i have some wieners that need eating

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

stoutfish posted:

goddamn

i remember it as:

"i before e, except after c, we have a weird society at leisure" except that only covers three of the like eighteen exceptions

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Dr. Honked posted:

i am reminded of this bunch http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/ (front page probably sfw but there's dicks and stuff if you start clicking)

they're not very active these days. maybe they all died.

those four pillars all sound cool as heck

hail satan

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Dessert Rose posted:

i remember it as:

"i before e, except after c, we have a weird society at leisure" except that only covers three of the like eighteen exceptions

i just live in fear of the little red squiggly lines

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Dessert Rose posted:

i remember it as:

the english language is loving awful i don't know why we chose to use it. german and russian are p cool.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Phoenixan posted:

the english language is loving awful i don't know why we chose to use it. german and russian are p cool.

it's a trade language

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Phoenixan posted:

its real easy to learn the basics of (because there are so few rules) and there are lots and lots of words (because it is such a mongrel mutt)

the lack of rules and zillions of borrowed words means a fuckton of inconsistencies and one-off special cases tho

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
English is the plang of languages

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I just wanted to say that I love you all (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 1 hour ago* by futurebound

I wanted to say this while we're in a period of price stagnation, so it won't appear artificial. I also wanted to express why I love you so much.

My discovery of Bitcoin has had the single greatest impact on my worldview to date. The minds that I have connected with here are among the most brilliant I've ever encountered. The concentration of knowledge here from fields of economics, finance, and computer science is remarkable and rare.

I don't have as computer science background. I actually study biology. But, when I discovered Bitcoin, specifically this subreddit, I became interested to the point of obsession. Not an hour passes that it does not enter my mind. Some of the voices that I’ve heard here, from the known faces and the unknown faces, have become my heroes.

Many parallels can be drawn between Bitcoin, populations, organisms, and life itself. Some of the familiar patterns are feedback loops and sigmoidal curves.

But Bitcoin doesn't express the properties of feedback loops and sigmoidal growth with its protocol alone. No, it is the interaction of people with the protocol that makes the network come alive. The same way that life's source code, DNA, cannot create life without interacting with its environment.

Without community, Bitcoin is just source code. The simple realization of this is mind-boggling. In the same way that an organism is not equivalent to its DNA, Bitcoin is not equivalent to its protocol. Organism = DNA -> proteins -> cell(s) -> etc + feedback and interaction with environment. Each layer has a certain degree of plasticity that allows the organism to adapt and evolve. The same analogy can be applied to the layers of Bitcoin. Except, there’s a much greater degree of plasticity to Bitcoin than there is to a biological organism because it can adapt and evolve through conscious effort. This is especially true in its still early development.

To the core developers: Suggest and make the changes you deem necessary to the protocol. There’s others around you and a voting mechanism to help check your work. We realize that it’s like repairing a 747 mid-flight, but Bitcoin is a risky investment. We must take risks in order to change the world. I believe in you.

To the developers and companies on the periphery: You provide the shape, form, and color that makes Bitcoin enticing and useful for all. Keep innovating and searching for those killer apps.

To the rest of us: Help create the culture that invites newcomers, fosters innovation, and provides support. Help create such a clear and beautiful painting of the future that it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I proudly work for the world’s first digital autonomous corporation and I would like to thank all of my coworkers for their hard work and dedication. Together we can and will change the world.

[–]v1- 25 points 1 hour ago

Agreed with your point about bitcoin changing your outlook on life.

For my whole life, I was content to sit in my room. I knew all of the problems of the world, but I didn't know of a way to solve them. I thought that my best bet was to just live as an outsider until I died.

But Bitcoin showed me the power of an idea. A small amount of code can change the world. I mean completely change the world. The implications are amazing. This is way beyond things like Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.

As a result, I am completely and fully engaged in life now. I now understand the power of ideas, and the power of technology. I have opened my mind to all sorts of things that only Bitcoin could have introduced me to - financial things, economic things, political things, etc.

I am at least 3 times more alive than I was before I found Bitcoin. We are on the brink of something major here. The price is irrelevant. I am not sure how to sleep at night anymore. Sometimes I wonder why other people are so content to go about their day to day activities like nothing is happening.

In any case, the fact that you brought up biology made me remember this post:

http://www.reddit.com/r/dogecoin/comments/1vuaqv/ltc_dude_here_i_love_you_guys_crypto_blows_my/

Ignore the dogecoin slant, and read it as a thought on all cryptocoins. It's quite a profound post.

[–]futurebound[S] 7 points 1 hour ago

I think we're all experiencing this tip-of-the-tongue phenomenon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tip_of_the_tongue). We know that something is here and we're searching for the ways to articulate it to others.

[–]v1- 5 points 1 hour ago

Yes exactly. I actually feel that way about a few things in my life. It's gonna be tough but I want to find a way to use my knowledge in certain areas to help impact the world positively.

But, Bitcoin comes first. I am not greedy, but financial freedom gives one the free time to pursue crazy ideas.

[–]mehoor 5 points 43 minutes ago

Bitcoin is character building. It's made me call out the bullshit that blights daily life like never before.

[–]futurebound[S] 1 point 7 minutes ago

I've read several articles explaining the concept. Here's one: http://letstalkbitcoin.com/bitcoin-and-the-three-laws-of-robotics/#.UvFsn_vWrTo

Basically I'm a share holder, so I increase the wealth of the corporation. I also contribute to advertising by explaining Bitcoin to other people and I participate in discussion in the subreddit. It's interesting because you could almost say that I get paid to do it if the value rises.

The best part about it is that the economic incentive aligns with my ideals and a world with a superior technology.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
the problem with english is spelling it and writing it down

it works way better spoken, jokes in english are great

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
the only thing i don't like about german though is how my computer and car have assigned genders

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

...! posted:

wb

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

don't read forbes

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
someone needs to reprogram ...! to post in this thread instead.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

...! posted:

submitted 1 hour ago* by futurebound

I wanted to say this while we're in a period of price stagnation, so it won't appear artificial. I also wanted to express why I love you so much.

My discovery of Bitcoin has had the single greatest impact on my worldview to date. The minds that I have connected with here are among the most brilliant I've ever encountered. The concentration of knowledge here from fields of economics, finance, and computer science is remarkable and rare.

I don't have as computer science background. I actually study biology. But, when I discovered Bitcoin, specifically this subreddit, I became interested to the point of obsession. Not an hour passes that it does not enter my mind. Some of the voices that I’ve heard here, from the known faces and the unknown faces, have become my heroes.

Many parallels can be drawn between Bitcoin, populations, organisms, and life itself. Some of the familiar patterns are feedback loops and sigmoidal curves.

But Bitcoin doesn't express the properties of feedback loops and sigmoidal growth with its protocol alone. No, it is the interaction of people with the protocol that makes the network come alive. The same way that life's source code, DNA, cannot create life without interacting with its environment.

Without community, Bitcoin is just source code. The simple realization of this is mind-boggling. In the same way that an organism is not equivalent to its DNA, Bitcoin is not equivalent to its protocol. Organism = DNA -> proteins -> cell(s) -> etc + feedback and interaction with environment. Each layer has a certain degree of plasticity that allows the organism to adapt and evolve. The same analogy can be applied to the layers of Bitcoin. Except, there’s a much greater degree of plasticity to Bitcoin than there is to a biological organism because it can adapt and evolve through conscious effort. This is especially true in its still early development.

To the core developers: Suggest and make the changes you deem necessary to the protocol. There’s others around you and a voting mechanism to help check your work. We realize that it’s like repairing a 747 mid-flight, but Bitcoin is a risky investment. We must take risks in order to change the world. I believe in you.

To the developers and companies on the periphery: You provide the shape, form, and color that makes Bitcoin enticing and useful for all. Keep innovating and searching for those killer apps.

To the rest of us: Help create the culture that invites newcomers, fosters innovation, and provides support. Help create such a clear and beautiful painting of the future that it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I proudly work for the world’s first digital autonomous corporation and I would like to thank all of my coworkers for their hard work and dedication. Together we can and will change the world.

[–]v1- 25 points 1 hour ago

Agreed with your point about bitcoin changing your outlook on life.

For my whole life, I was content to sit in my room. I knew all of the problems of the world, but I didn't know of a way to solve them. I thought that my best bet was to just live as an outsider until I died.

But Bitcoin showed me the power of an idea. A small amount of code can change the world. I mean completely change the world. The implications are amazing. This is way beyond things like Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.

As a result, I am completely and fully engaged in life now. I now understand the power of ideas, and the power of technology. I have opened my mind to all sorts of things that only Bitcoin could have introduced me to - financial things, economic things, political things, etc.

I am at least 3 times more alive than I was before I found Bitcoin. We are on the brink of something major here. The price is irrelevant. I am not sure how to sleep at night anymore. Sometimes I wonder why other people are so content to go about their day to day activities like nothing is happening.

In any case, the fact that you brought up biology made me remember this post:

http://www.reddit.com/r/dogecoin/comments/1vuaqv/ltc_dude_here_i_love_you_guys_crypto_blows_my/

Ignore the dogecoin slant, and read it as a thought on all cryptocoins. It's quite a profound post.

[–]futurebound[S] 7 points 1 hour ago

I think we're all experiencing this tip-of-the-tongue phenomenon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tip_of_the_tongue). We know that something is here and we're searching for the ways to articulate it to others.

[–]v1- 5 points 1 hour ago

Yes exactly. I actually feel that way about a few things in my life. It's gonna be tough but I want to find a way to use my knowledge in certain areas to help impact the world positively.

But, Bitcoin comes first. I am not greedy, but financial freedom gives one the free time to pursue crazy ideas.

[–]mehoor 5 points 43 minutes ago

Bitcoin is character building. It's made me call out the bullshit that blights daily life like never before.

[–]futurebound[S] 1 point 7 minutes ago

I've read several articles explaining the concept. Here's one: http://letstalkbitcoin.com/bitcoin-and-the-three-laws-of-robotics/#.UvFsn_vWrTo

Basically I'm a share holder, so I increase the wealth of the corporation. I also contribute to advertising by explaining Bitcoin to other people and I participate in discussion in the subreddit. It's interesting because you could almost say that I get paid to do it if the value rises.

The best part about it is that the economic incentive aligns with my ideals and a world with a superior technology.

i just wanted to say that i hate your posting

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i like ...!s posting

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Dr. Honked posted:

probably sfw but there's dicks and stuff if you start clicking

yospos tagline spotted in the wild

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Saw this in the lobby of my business school (i.imgur.com)

submitted 9 hours ago by borrakkor

[–]fakejournalist1 76 points 9 hours ago

You should ask him specific questions on how Bitcoin works and then heckle him when he can't answer.

[–]fakejournalist1 64 points 8 hours ago

Go over his previously written articles (they're all anti-bitcoin and easy to find with google news search) and quote him on retarded things he's claimed and ask him to expand on those quotes.

Then correct his rear end. Or if you want to troll, just make him double down on a wrong statement and act as if you're on his side and that this whole bitcoin thing is really scary.

[–]HawaiianDry 12 points 5 hours ago

You tell this guy that as a former Lambda Psi chapter president, I'm ashamed that he would resort to these scare tactics. Tell him that Deltasigs are supposed to hold themselves to a higher standard.

[–]freedom-d 6 points 4 hours ago

Well since you have an indirect connection why don't you schedule a meeting with him. Ask why he is anti BTC and, irregardless of the current BTC economy, ask him about the tech itself.

My brother is a financial planner and very conservative financially. He is so anti BTC and was really worried about me in Dec. I've been slowly having these talks with him. He'll come around eventually.

[–]MeanOfPhidias 19 points 5 hours ago

Ask him to describe in technical detail how transactions work.

Gets new people every time

Edit: Here are some more

Ask him to explain eliptic curve cryptography and its application in Bitcoin

Ask him to explain the Byzantine General's problem and how Bitcoin addresses it

Then ask him about deflationary currency as a store of value.

Basically he will have just explained why Bitcoin is awesome. If you pull that off kudos

[–]USheep 4 points 5 hours ago

Bring a camera or someone that can record him answering questions on their phone.

[–]PotatoBadger 4 points 4 hours ago

Ask him questions that make it sound like you're on his side, then question his incorrect answers.

What are some of the things Satoshi Nakamoto could do to manipulate Bitcoin when it gets big enough?

He could print more bitcoins.

Don't the majority of Bitcoin users, miners, and merchants have to reach consensus on such a protocol change?

Uhh...

[–]ThePiachu 1 point 37 minutes ago

You could try asking him about how the banking system works and why in the age where we can stream gigabytes of data across the globe instantly it takes a bank transfer a few weeks and $10++ to clear.

Or perhaps how many fiat currencies have been inflated into extinction.

Or why the us is using a currency issued by a private company (federal reserve - it's even on the notes) rather than minting its own money.

Etc. etc. Prepare a few questions that he might not be prepared for and put him on the defensive, rather than let him take over the debate and put you on the defensive for things you might not be prepared for.

[–]polycoin 4 points 4 hours ago

Totally unprofessional and un-professorial. As an educator, which he claims to be, aren't you supposed to just state the facts without personal bias? Shame.

[–]iooonik 4 points 4 hours ago

Ask him how he manages to get paid for this poo poo. Seriously, going around and bashing new technologies constitutes a job these days?

[–]gkrizek 4 points 4 hours ago

I wish something like that would come to my school. I would be that rear end in a top hat that asks him questions he can't answer or ones that destroy his point.

[–]vandeam 7 points 8 hours ago

i would steal that sign.. it would be worth alot of money in 5-10 years.. when bitcoin replaces USD. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troglyfe
Jan 2, 2014
Lojban... but with bitcoins!

quote:

Please speak english as international language

Esperanto... but with bitcoins!

quote:

I don't like the "latin" sound of Esperanto (as well as Spanish, French, etc.). Lojban sounds better.

Bitcoin probably will always be niche, but that doesn't really matter. As long as it exists, people can use it if they want to. Bitcoin is useful even with just 1,000 users, unlike Esperanto.

• Locked thread