Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Bonzo posted:

So, at least in Canada, all non BB10 devices have been down since 9am.

so that's, what? 90% of blackberries down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Bonzo posted:

link please.

this is great news

edit: http://canadianoutages.com/status/blackberry

ahahahahahahaha!

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 4, 2014

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Nelson MandEULA posted:

as most of them are corp govt accounts, lol yup

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Boeing makes 'self-destruct' top secret smartphone

quote:

A smartphone designed for handling top secret communications has been developed by Boeing.

If the phone is tampered with, it automatically deletes any data and renders itself inoperable.

Better known for its aeroplanes, the firm said it needed to help organisations get "trusted access to data to accomplish their missions".

The device, named Black, joins a growing range of high-security smartphones entering the market.

At the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, a similarly-titled Blackphone was announced, aimed more at businesses and consumers worried about private data.

Boeing already provides secure communications for US government officials - including the president.

kiss those government contracts goodbye Blackberry

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

its an android

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
@Techmeme: 94% of T-Mobile Blackberry promo participants switched to other smartphones (@tip_cam) http://t.co/3Ux2NvWAyk http://t.co/U6zIbHBvVz

lmao

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
bbry 94% churn rate

quote:

BlackBerry churn rate at 94 percent with T-Mobile
Normally when we report churn rates, it’s with respect to wireless carriers, and not the devices that run on them. But in this case we’re talking about BlackBerry, which according to information first leaked by Tmo News, is seeing a mass exodus from its platform and devices, even when there is incentives to keep customers in their camp.

According to the leaked sales document, 94 percent of T-Mobile customers trading in their BlackBerry devices for an upgrade are opting for a non-BlackBerry device as their new smartphone. Using these numbers, that essentially means BlackBerry has a 6 percent customer satisfaction rate. Simply put, companies simply don’t and won’t survive on a 6 percent satisfaction rate.

This information comes after T-Mobile launched a promotion guaranteeing any customer trading in a working BlackBerry device a $250 credit towards a new BlackBerry 10 smartphone (see our full review of the BlackBerry Z10 and Q10 here). However, the numbers don’t lie, and 94 out of 100 customers are opting for $50 less in credit and breaking their CrackBerry addiction for an iOS, Android, or even Windows Phone device. T-Mobile hasn’t released out of this 94 percent the share of sales among iOS, Android, and Windows Phone.

But what is known is that even the once most hardcore BlackBerry users have apparently grown tired of the platform. Furthermore, as more companies are dumping their expensive BlackBerry Enterprise Servers for Exchange (supported by iOS, Android, and Windows Phone), BlackBerry’s stronghold on business customers has quickly diminished.

that's p brutal even for blackberry

e: beaten but i quoted the article for people too lazy to click

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
yeah but the new blackberry q30 with such innovative features as a trackpad and send/end hard keys will reverse this trend when it comes out at some point in tyool 2014

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
has anyone noticed that blackberry still prominently features bb7 devices on their website?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

infernal machines posted:

link please.

this is great news

edit: http://canadianoutages.com/status/blackberry

ahahahahahahaha!

what the gently caress I thought they did away with the whole "route everything through our lovely servers" topology on BB10

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

what the gently caress I thought they did away with the whole "route everything through our lovely servers" topology on BB10

Bonzo posted:

Nelson MandEULA posted:

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Nelson MandEULA posted:

has anyone noticed that blackberry still prominently features bb7 devices on their website?

They want to drop BB7 but 95% of their user base would evaporate.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

eric posted:

They want to drop BB7 but 95% of their user base would evaporate.

Leaving them with 5 people using their devices.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

WhoNeedsAName posted:

Leaving them with 5 people using their devices.

:iceburn:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

So while speaking at the Oasis Montgomery conference earlier this week, Chen was asked about the surging popularity of the iPhone.

Not skipping a beat, Chen was quick to throw a few jabs in Apple's direction, answering that iPhone users are constantly searching for power outlets because battery life on the iPhone can't even last a full day.

"I call you guys wall huggers", Chen remarked in jest.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol iphone users having usable phones that their users can't stop using for 5 minutes like crack addicts is sure a hell of a zinger

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

meanwhile all crackberry addicts seem
to be in recovery???

dcseankun
Jun 17, 2005

suck my diiiiick, i'm a catshaaark!!!
reminder

International Data Corporation is so full of poo poo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there was one from another research company that just swapped the symbian and windows numbers and left it at that

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

dcseankun posted:

reminder

International Data Corporation is so full of poo poo

dcseankun
Jun 17, 2005

qirex posted:

there was one from another research company that just swapped the symbian and windows numbers and left it at that

i have a hard time keeping up with them... kantar? they do some spergy charts and forecasts. Morgan Stanley as well...

anyways... enjoy your 0 share in China blackberry

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
now that we're done posting old projections though, here's real data

dcseankun
Jun 17, 2005

:lol:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

here's a good one

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
it's weird how there's no easily acessible charts of actual smartphone shares for like all major oses past and present. too many of them stick to just showing the current 3 or 4 top ones

dcseankun
Jun 17, 2005

I wonder if everyone at MSFT is spinning this to "hey we passed blackberry!" :toot:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
you know someone at ms got a bonus because "25% growth in market share!"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

you know someone at ms got a bonus because "25% growth in market share!"

its actually pretty impressive that they've grown share, seeing as how there's no reason for people to be buying windows phones in the first place

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Install Windows posted:

its actually pretty impressive that they've grown share, seeing as how there's no reason for people to be buying windows phones in the first place

every time i see someone using a windows phone i feel real sorry for them. like, im sorry ur so poor and stupid that some guy at the carrier store managed to convince u this was a good idea.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

looks like motorola was lenovo's consolation prize

(with reporting from Blackula69)

quote:

BlackBerry tried to sell itself to Chinese computer giant Lenovo last year. But CBC News has learned the company got a firm no when it approached the federal government to find out if the bid would be approved.

At the time, the company was told that either Chinese or Russian investment would be met with stiff opposition. So it abandoned the sale.

But it turned out there was something Ottawa could do to help the beleaguered company. BlackBerry received an early Christmas present from the federal government, courtesy of a remission order – a $696 million US ($767 million Cdn) early payment of part of its tax refund.

The infusion was a boon to the company, which at the time was burning through its cash reserves and attracting investors who were betting big money it would fail.

[...]

By the end of the year, however, BlackBerry's cash reserves had rebounded, and were sitting at $3.2 billion US.

That was in large part due to the backing of one investor – Prem Watsa of Fairfax Financial, who organized a $1-billion US financing effort and brought turnaround expert John Chen on as the company's new CEO.

But another huge chunk of cash – $696 million US – came from an early payment of its spring tax refund by both the federal and Ontario governments last November, in what's called a remission order.

According to BlackBerry's publicly available management discussion and analysis filing, during the third quarter the company "took steps to accelerate the receipt of a portion of the tax refund to which it is entitled".

It arranged with both levels of government to receive the majority of its tax refund ahead of time, and receive the remainder, which BlackBerry estimates at $170 million US ($187 million Cdn), later this year.

According to Misek, that extra payment had a massive impact, saying "it might have saved the company – we might look back in a year or two, whatever BlackBerry becomes, and say that was the day they saved the company".

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 24, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lmao 'saved'

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Pinterest Mom posted:

looks like motorola was lenovo's consolation prize

(with reporting from Blackula69)

this will obviously not save blackberry but i'll laff my rear end off if this ends up loving shortsellers

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

blackberry gonna monetise bbm

by selling stickers

and ads

and also it'll come preloaded on nokia's android monstrosities

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
They still trying to sell their joke tablet, or are they done with that?

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
good news everyone!

quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama isn't giving up his BlackBerry — at least not for now.

The White House is shooting down the notion that Obama's device is caught up in a pilot program designed to transition away from BlackBerry smartphones.

The pilot program is being carried out by the White House Communications Agency. It's part of the Defense Department and is responsible for making sure Obama has communications capabilities wherever he goes.

But White House spokesman Jay Carney says the Executive Office of the President isn't participating in any pilot programs affecting their hand-held devices.

U.S. government agencies have been one of the last bastions for BlackBerry Ltd. The company pioneered the smartphone in 1999 but has since been hammered by competition from the iPhone and Android-based rivals.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Mister Macys posted:

They still trying to sell their joke tablet, or are they done with that?

The only ones left they either sell to employees at a deep discount or pawn them off to charities like the one my wife works for. She has 10 of them in her office that her staff take out in the field.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I thought the president had some general dynamics brick with a separate secure screen

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

qirex posted:

I thought the president had some general dynamics brick with a separate secure screen

that's probably what one of his aides or a marine carries on his behalf for class poo poo

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
yeah you're a pretty cool rapper if you have someone else to carry your phone

you're not the hnic unless you have a uniformed marine carrying a briefcase full of ww3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah you're a pretty cool rapper if you have someone else to carry your phone

you're not the hnic unless you have a uniformed marine carrying a briefcase full of ww3

uh

• Locked thread