Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
http://www.therecord.com/news-story/4456119-chen-doing-good-job-at-blackberry-watsa-says/

Well no poo poo he's happy. Watsa is going to profit the most when BB is sold.

quote:

Financier Prem Watsa says some of the biggest names in technology, like Facebook and Twitter, are headed towards disaster because their stock prices have soared too high.

Oh right...stock price. Can someone please quote me a stock from for RIM From 2006? EDIT: The article says that all time high price was around $150. Facebook right now is only $62

quote:

"There's nothing underlying the value of these companies," he said, referencing a chart that outlined names like Netflix and LinkedIn.

I'll give you LinkedIn but Netflix? Oh wait...no netFlix app on BB.

quote:

In a letter to shareholders in March, he criticized Facebook's decision to purchase mobile phone chat program WhatsApp for $19 billion US, calling it "the poster child for the excesses that prevail in the tech world."

:lol: Did they forget that Chen said he would sell BBM for that much? http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/25/5445822/blackberry-ceo-john-chen-speaks-about-bbm-sale-and-focus-on-enterprise

quote:

"John, in five months, has done so many changes. We're very impressed," he said. "He's hit the road running."

huh. You mean firing half your staff, selling all your property and closing down offices saves you money? Go figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

m where was the google docs list of date guesses

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/blackberry-may-exit-handset-business-john-chen-says-1.2605287

BlackBerry Ltd would consider exiting its handset business if it remains unprofitable, its chief executive officer said on Wednesday, as the technology company looks to expand its corporate reach with investments, acquisitions and partnerships.

quote:

Chen said his long-term plans for BlackBerry included competing in the burgeoning business of connecting all manner of devices, from kitchen appliances to automotive consoles to smartphones.

I wonder what it will be like to do a battery pull on my fridge.

quote:

"We are not going to go up against Whatsapp. We are going to be more focused on secure communications, secure messaging," he said of BlackBerry's BBM platform.

So much like the iPhone, they are ignoring a popular consumer brand and focusing on BBM which no one wants.

quote:

"We are not going to spend any more money to maintain the latest version of Angry Birds," Chen said, referring to a wildly popular consumer mobile videogame.

Tools not toys!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
these guys really get the smartphone market, it's amazing

also lol telus

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

FrozenVent posted:

these guys really get the smartphone market, it's amazing

also lol telus

speaking as a canadian, we're a loving dumbass country.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
chen was all like "no, we're not pulling out of the smartphone business" and then my buddy who did that interview had to defend himself to crackberry kevin. people are dumb and have no reading comprehension

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Blackula69 posted:

chen was all like "no, we're not pulling out of the smartphone business" and then my buddy who did that interview had to defend himself to crackberry kevin. people are dumb and have no reading comprehension

Um

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101571749

and

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2142066/blackberry-ceo-ill-kill-off-blackberry-phones-if-they-dont-start-making-money.html

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i saw a z10 in public once and it just looks like a cheap movie prop knockoff of the htc one, esp cause the bezels are way bigger than the htc so it looks like a smartphone from 2009

wait

oh my god

it looks like the droid x, a smartphone from 2009

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
say what you want about the droid x but that loving thing must have been indestructable cause i remember seeing a lot of people with them that were in terrible, terrible shape. my boss had one that straight up was bent in a 20 degree angle and even tho the screen was cracked everything still worked

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
droid x phones are kinda like old camrys in that respect

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

why did you post two other versions of the article you already posted

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2014/04/not-leaving-handsets/

john chen is a big dummy. my friend had to fend off like legions of blackberry trolls on twitter

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Blackula69 posted:

why did you post two other versions of the article you already posted

I must have posted from my Q10

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Install Windows posted:

:iiaca:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/blackberry-buys-stake-in-healthcare-it-firm-nanthealth-1.2610908

BlackBerry says it has bought a stake in U.S.-based healthcare IT company NantHealth, a move that will allow the smartphone maker to use its expertise in network security and real-time operating systems in hospitals.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

blackberry security: leave it offline for a week straight. can't hack what isn't on

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Like Canadians know anything about healthcare... :rolleyes:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bonzo posted:

I wonder what it will be like to do a battery pull on my fridge.

welp, it's hosed. looks like you're gonna have to do a full defrost

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
They would be stupid enough to not make a frost-free fridge, wouldn't they.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

graph posted:

.... how exclusive

my first ever firstnamelastname email address was a telus.blackberry.net address in 2008 and i was super happy about it

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

BBY to create radiotherapy machines powered by Microsoft Exchange

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

BBY to create radiotherapy machines powered by Microsoft Exchange

hey, canadian made radiotherapy equipment is a world famous case study of software engineering!

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

:thejoke:, right?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Install Windows posted:

im getting camry ads now, thanks

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
had to go back to page 7 to find this thread, christ

MasterBuilder posted:

Well if anyone is super interested in buying a blackberry you can use the coupon code SAVE100BB148 in the shop blackberry store to get 100 bucks off so the Z10 drops to $200.00, Q5 to $250.00 and the Q10 to $300.

Is it worth it? Probably not but in the grand scheme of things 200 isn't that much.

If they paid me $200 i might consider it

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i'd buy a q10 for $99 out of sheer curiosity

maybe

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Smythe posted:

im getting camry ads now, thanks

i drive a camry it's aggressively ok

navigation/media system is poo poo though

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
hey i need to buy a blackberry os 10 device for comedy reasons but am unwilling to pay the ebay price. how do i get a cheap playbook, yospos?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
can u put a sim card oin a z10 hehe ?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I actually saw a z10 in the wild last weekend

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

i saw my second windows pho last week

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

aquaintance of mine still uses the z10 she got in 2013

unsurprisingly the purchase corresponds to the moment her career went from "precariously improving" to "declining sharply" due to a series of terrible decision on her part

she's at "i don't want to be seen with you" now so idk who she's using her blackberry to communicate with

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

qirex posted:

take a pic next time and post it here http://peopleusingblackberry.tumblr.com/

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i thnk the z10 looks cool, might buy one off these beasts if i pop my tmob poverty sim in there for a laff

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it was in las vegas, capitol of poor decision making

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
flatmate's dad is visiting from toronto. he wears a z10 on a holster. :cripes:

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

quote:

Wooden pager rotating machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqx2xbGsH0U

Back in 1998, I wanted to test how the Blackberry pagers we developed would perform as they are moved sporadically through the local environment. With the pagers receiving at 900 mHz, moving them by even a few centimeters or changing the orientation can make a big difference in terms of reception. But the unit transmits at a slightly lower frequency, so the slight variations (fading) for transmission don't necessarily correlate to reception performance. You can never really know if a spot you put the page is a good or a bad spot. That, and a pager worn on the belt will move sporadically as the wearer moves.

Playing with my Fischer-Technik construction set, I built a contraption that move and rotate the pager in three axis at once, thus going through a large range of orientations and positions. Such a device would be useful for some of our tests. It would be even better if the device did not in itself interfere with radio waves, so of course, wood was an ideal material. I would have used wood regardless, mind you, but this was an extra reason!

I wasn't sure if the wooden gears would actually work when I started (it was the first time I attempted wooden gearing), but as I built and tested the parts, it all worked, so I kept at it until I had the finished machine.

There is no coupling between the machine's cycling and the software on the pagers. The idea is for the machine to sufficiently randomize things that any sort of bias in the setup gets averaged out by the many positions that are eventually tried.

The whole thing is powered by an AC electric motor. A timer motor, cams and switches (no electronics) turn the motor on periodically. There's cams and switches to select continuous motion, or intermittent motion at 12, 60, or 240 second intervals.

The machine has the limitation that it needs 120 volt AC power and isn't very portable. When flying to different parts of the country, taking this machine with me is not a practical option. So I built a much smaller version, powered by one of those super efficient Lego motors. Of course, once you start building with Lego, might as well build the whole rotating machine out of legos

Update: 2014
I left RIM (which later changed it's name to "Blackberry") in 2007 (more about that). I left the machine behind as a colleague was still using it from time to time. As of 2014, RIM has been struggling, and the company decided that the cost of developing and maintaining their own GSM/GPRS/EDGE/3G radio protocol stack was no longer justifiable by the now much lower sales volume. Instead, they'd rely on chips and protocol stack firmware from Qualcomm. To put it into perspective, Apple's iPhone and Google's Android used a third party software for the radio protocol stack all along.

When the entire radio software team was laid off, a co-worker had the presence of mind to take this machine home with him, and returned it to me. The machine had fallen into slight disrepair. I got it working again, and made the video below. This machine wasn't the only wooden machine I built for testing stuff at RIM. That said, building machines and fixtures was not part of my job, I just built them when I needed them.

At right, my "keyboard masher" for the initial GPRS blackberry, in 2001. I was, at some point, tasked with investigating a vexing and very sporadic "crazy SIM card" problem, which was a "software" problem, but it only happened on some units. I suspected it was a mechanical issue, with the SIM card holder right below the keyboard, typing on it could cause intermittent glitches. So I built a machine to simulate typing. The machine uses three timer motors and over time presses most of the keys on the keyboard. Leaving a device in this machine would consistently trigger the problem on any device. So we were able to get a better handle on it and test a software workaround.

a few things to note:

1) bbry still developing a proprietary radio protocol stack in tyool 2014

2) they clearly had some pretty clever people working for them at some point

3) this guy pulled his 'chute at the right time

4) their first product was so lovely that it lost reception when you tilted it the wrong way, and using the keyboard unseated the sim. blackberry has always been poo poo. :negative:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Nelson MandEULA posted:

flatmate's dad is visiting from toronto. he wears a z10 on a holster. :cripes:

read that at first as "fishmech's dad" and for a minute i was jealous you 2 were so tight

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

A Pinball Wizard posted:

read that at first as "fishmech's dad" and for a minute i was jealous you 2 were so tight

one can dream :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Looks like the honeymoon with Chen is already over.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread