Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

they're going to linger on as an enterprise services company, whatever that means, sort of like how IBM managed to survive. And thanks to QNX they'll be in cars for years to come

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fishmech posted:

blackberry os was originally meant to run on a portable revision of the 80386 and just handle displaying and sending email over a low speed wireless data network - not even interfacing with SMS services or traditional pager systems. this was gradually adapted into doing telephony and then actually running other applications.

you had to buy different devices if you wanted to use email on a microsoft exchange system or if you wanted to use email with a more typical pop3/imap system. needed to connect to both? gotta carry two of them

the "pager" models were shortlived and nobody remembers them. they re-did the hardware and re-wrote the software from scratch in a few years later.

in 2002 the main product was a multitasking smartphone with 2G internet, that used java for 100% of development, both system and applications. they were way the gently caress ahead of their time, and squandered it all

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 17, 2017

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i carried around one of these and still got laid. 2003 was a wonderful time.

you carried a pager from 1997 and still got laid in 2003 ?

that is really quite impressive, since anyone who mattered already had a "real" blackberry by then

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the "pager" models were shortlived and nobody remembers them. they re-did the hardware and re-wrote the software from scratch in a few years later.

in 2002 the main product was a multitasking smartphone with 2G internet, that used java for 100% of development, both system and applications. they were way the gently caress ahead of their time, and squandered it all

Reminder: their first device that supported phone calls would only do so with a headset.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I saw a bby pager one time

at the time it was pretty neat but it was basically texting a few years early but for a lot of money I guess?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it was a garbage os, so bad that they had to throw it out and start over. they didn't even grasp the problem until long after they were eclipsed by good phones.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

*turns company 360 degrees and walks right out of the phone market*

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the "pager" models were shortlived and nobody remembers them.

I had one (950 Mobitex), and remember it fondly. developing for it was real, real bad though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Subjunctive posted:

I had one (950 Mobitex), and remember it fondly. developing for it was real, real bad though.

developing for it? was that like, building custom email clients to interface with ancient corporate email systems so the executives could use their blackberries or something?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i worked at a place that refurbished and repaired them (among other phones) in the early 2000s. everything went to poo poo the moment they tried to add apps

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Thanks Ants posted:

lmao crackberry is still around
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DgbUBoxa48

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

infernal machines posted:

this would have been a massive improvement for rim. sadly that dream was not realized

you can pry my battery pull app from my cold dead device

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
blackberry has been accused of being fucky to their staff

CBC News posted:

A class action lawsuit against BlackBerry alleges the Canadian smartphone software company denied employees their termination entitlements by transferring them to the Ford Motor Company of Canada and then giving them resignation letters.

Law firm Nelligan O'Brien Payne LLP announced the lawsuit in a news release Thursday.

According to the release, the class action lawsuit covers more than 300 current and former employees who have been working in Ontario and across Canada.

The notice of claim said BlackBerry arranged to transfer those employees to Ford Canada in the fall of 2016, then informed them that they had resigned once they accepted employment with the company.

The employees were given resignation letters and stipulated their last date of employment, the suit said.

"BlackBerry's actions amount to a termination of the employees employment," the statement said. "This entitles these employees to statutory, common law and/or contractual entitlements on termination."

The notice of claim said BlackBerry has structured the transfer of employees to avoid paying termination entitlements and is refusing to pay them.

The employees have also lost their accumulated years of service with the company.

The plaintiffs in the class action are seeking $20,000,000 in damages or a resolution consistent with termination entitlements.

In an emailed statement, a BlackBerry spokesperson wrote: "We have reviewed the allegations in the lawsuit, and are confident we complied with all our obligations to our employees. Therefore, we believe the case lacks merit and we will defend against it vigorously."

None of the allegations has been proven in court.

Nelligan O’Brien Payne's statement on the matter

Nelligan O’Brien Payne posted:

Nelligan O’Brien Payne LLP has commenced a class action against BlackBerry Limited (“BlackBerry”) on behalf of a group of BlackBerry’s employees working in Ontario and across Canada.

BlackBerry arranged to transfer over 300 employees across Canada to a business partner. Only after employees accepted employment with the business partner, BlackBerry informed the employees that they had resigned their employment. Blackberry provided resignation letters for the employees to sign and dictated their last date of employment. Blackberry stated that the transfer is not a sale of business, meaning the employees will lose all of their years of service.

BlackBerry’s actions amount to a termination of the employees’ employment. This entitles these employees to statutory, common law, and/or contractual entitlements on termination. BlackBerry has stated that it will not pay BlackBerry employees any of these entitlements, despite the fact that employees lose all of their years of service.

BlackBerry has breached its duties of good faith and honesty, and has knowingly misled the employees. BlackBerry structured this transaction in such a way as to avoid paying these employees their statutory entitlements.

We seek damages for the plaintiffs for minimum provincial statutory entitlements on termination, contractual entitlements on termination, and/or common law entitlements on termination. We are also asking for bad faith and punitive damages, as well as costs.

Plaintiffs in the class action include individuals who were employees and/or dependent contractors of BlackBerry Limited in Canada, and who were offered and accepted employment with the business partner.

BlackBerry has given letters of resignation to employees to sign. We strongly discourage employees from signing such letters. Employees can contact our office if they have any questions.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

that's a really hosed up thing to do but is it a typical Canadian thing to implicitly trust what your employer gives you?

hell when i was given a resignation letter to sign at 25 years old at a $30k/yr job I still had the foresight to have an attorney review it first

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

minivanmegafun posted:

that's a really hosed up thing to do but is it a typical Canadian thing to implicitly trust what your employer gives you?
if you're dumb enough to work at rimm/bbry in the past decade it's probably typical

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Kenny Logins posted:

if you're dumb enough to work at rimm/bbry in the past decade it's probably typical

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Kenny Logins posted:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fishmech posted:

developing for it? was that like, building custom email clients to interface with ancient corporate email systems so the executives could use their blackberries or something?

I did hack on a free software email client of the time (I forget the name), but mostly it was building e-cash prototypes based on expensive math and questionable storage behaviour. I remember the development environment rebooting the host computer, until a printf in another part of the code was removed.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Endless Mike posted:

remember when the playbook came out and you couldn't use bbm without logging out of your phone becasue they never envisioned a world where people have multiple blackberrys?

see also: google allo

You made me curious, so I looked it up and you can actually get a 16GB Playbook on Amazon for $45.

I'm kind of tempted, I love useless, dead Operating Systems. It's why I have a Mac lying around.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Subjunctive posted:

I did hack on a free software email client of the time (I forget the name), but mostly it was building e-cash prototypes based on expensive math and questionable storage behaviour. I remember the development environment rebooting the host computer, until a printf in another part of the code was removed.

honestly thats more intense development than i thought those devices were capable of handling.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Q_res posted:

You made me curious, so I looked it up and you can actually get a 16GB Playbook on Amazon for $45.

I'm kind of tempted, I love useless, dead Operating Systems. It's why I have a Mac lying around.

don't do it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there's a real good chance it will never boot and you'll have a $45 paperweight because the battery discharged too far while in storage and the firmware doesn't have the fix that will allow it to charge a discharged battery

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fishmech posted:

honestly thats more intense development than i thought those devices were capable of handling.

it was not a great experience

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I don't miss BES or BES Express.

gently caress both those platforms.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i interviewed at a place recently that said they had settled on bes for their mdm and were moving to it.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

don't do it

Now if it was a Touchpad, on the other hand

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

infernal machines posted:

there's a real good chance it will never boot and you'll have a $45 paperweight because the battery discharged too far while in storage and the firmware doesn't have the fix that will allow it to charge a discharged battery

It's fulfilled by Amazon, so that should be too risky right?

Maximo Roboto posted:

Now if it was a Touchpad, on the other hand

Nah, I already bought one of those during the original fire sale.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

if theres a way to develop and then sideload apps onto it that works in tyool 2017 then i would support you purchasing it and turning it into the yoslet

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Q_res posted:

Nah, I already bought one of those during the original fire sale.

my touchpad finally got a mix of busted fs for webos and an android build that zapped the battery to the point I have to muck with week long charging to fix. I finally gave up and bought a Black Friday kindle to tinker on but that touchpad was probably the best tech purchase I've ever made :allears:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Q_res posted:

well you could keep returning them until you get one that turns on, but this was already an issue a couple years ago. i wouldn't expect them to have improved any, sitting unsold, all that time.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Fine, buzzkill...

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i'll save you money and send you a broken piece of poo poo for $40

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'll mail you an actual poo poo, for only the cost of shipping

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

atomicthumbs posted:

i'll save you money and send you a broken piece of poo poo for $40
please don't send yourself in the mail to others

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

what was the phone or tablet that was totally bricked once the battery was discharged was that a surface or a BBRY

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

power botton posted:

what was the phone or tablet that was totally bricked once the battery was discharged was that a surface or a BBRY

blackberry playbook.

early surfaces had an issue with batteries that got damaged more by the batteries being run flat then most are, but they wouldn't be bricks they'd just have terrible battery life after.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

power botton posted:

a very expensive UMPC called the Oquo or something had that I remember

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

"shouldn't we compose the background so the time is pleasingly centered in it?"

"nah"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

look at that spacebar

goddamn it's like 2003 never ended

• Locked thread