Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
cannibalizing Alcatel in fact:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/20/blackberry-accidentally-publishes-details-dtek60-based-unannounced-upgraded-alcatel-idol-4s/

quote:

BlackBerry accidentally publishes details about DTEK60, could be based on unannounced, upgraded Alcatel Idol 4S

Earlier this year, BlackBerry released the DTEK50, a rebadged Alcatel Idol 4 with some extra BlackBerry security software on it. That phone didn't fare too well with critics. Now, the security-crazy company has mistakenly published the specs of the DTEK60, which looks to be a plus-sized, upgraded DTEK50. It's pretty clear that someone at BlackBerry screwed up here, as the URL of the DTEK60's specifications page includes "donotpublish.html".

Let's get the leaked specs out of the way:

SPECS

153.9 x 75..4 x 7mm
5.5" 1440p display
Snapdragon 820
4GB of RAM
32GB of storage w/ microSD slot
21MP rear-facing camera w/ 4K30 video
8MP front-facing camera w/ f/2.2 aperture
3000mAh battery w/ QC3.0
USB Type-C
Fingerprint sensor
Convenience Key
Since the DTEK50 is based upon the Idol 4, it's not unreasonable to think that the DTEK60 would be based upon the Idol 4's big brother, the Idol 4S. However, while some specifications are shared between the DTEK60 and Idol 4S, others are completely different. The DTEK60 packs in more flagship-like components than the Idol 4S; for instance, the DTEK60 has a Snapdragon 820 and 4GB of RAM, but the Idol 4S only has a Snapdragon 652 and 3GB of RAM.

After some further examination of the DTEK60 and Idol 4S's specifications, we realized that their heights and widths exactly matched at 153.9 x 75.4mm. This led us to believe BlackBerry utilized the same front glass and display assembly as the Idol 4S. In addition, there's a "Convenience Key" mentioned, which was a repurposed Alcatel "BOOM KEY" on the DTEK50. These specs made us think that BlackBerry is basing the DTEK60 upon an unreleased Alcatel phone.

Some Google-fu helped us discover a TENAA (China's FCC) listing for the TCL 950, a phone with dimensions and specs that almost exactly match the DTEK60's. (TCL is the company that owns Alcatel.) The only disparities between the TCL 950 and DTEK60's specifications are a 1080p display and 64GB of storage on the 950, versus a 1440p display and 32GB on the DTEK60. Interesting.

We're inclined to believe that the BlackBerry DTEK60 is based upon an unreleased Alcatel "Idol 4S Pro" of some kind. Apparently, we at Android Police aren't the only ones; CrackBerry noted the similarities in an article of theirs as well, but took a different path to get to their conclusion.

It'll be interesting to see how the DTEK60 fares; the specs are solid, and the phone looks nice enough. Let's just hope that BlackBerry doesn't slap a giant price tag on it.

good thing they stopped calling themselves RIM; they certainly don't do their own R & D anymore :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

mishaq posted:

quote:
In John Chen's recent Empire Club fireside chat, he mentioned his surprise at the historic lack of support from both Canadian carriers and consumers during Blackberry's recent well known challenges.

He also mentioned Nortel as another domestically abandoned iconic Canadian market leader, which is now typically mentioned by the media in conjunction with Blackberry's fall from prominence. Are Canadians maintaining our famous polite indifference or displaying our well known national low self esteem ?

lmao the entire forum is conspiracy theorists

we have no loyalty to badly managed poo poo shows unless they're a monopolistic cartel *coughrogerstelusbellcough*

BBRY/Nortel/CFL never had that

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Bonzo posted:

haha nope.
http://quantumvalleyinvestments.com/

They just completed construction on this.
https://www.wlu.ca/lazaridis-school-of-business-and-economics/

This is what Jim is up to
https://www.cigionline.org/person/jim-balsillie

And
https://www.balsillieschool.ca/

And then people wonder why top talent won't stick around Waterloo.

if i wanted to spend money to learn how to bury my head in the sand, i could just go to the zoo and see an ostrich

yes, i know they don't actually bury their heads in the sand

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Kins posted:

no pedestrian is safe

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will attend the launch by the Waterloo, Ontario-based smartphone pioneer, the prime minister's office said on Sunday.

vindicating my choice to vote ndp every day

• Locked thread