Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
:canada::canada::canada::canada::canada::canada::canada::canada::canada::canada:
the first yospos thread i ever posted in has been gassed. long live the new blackberry thread.

post post post your predicted death date.

whoever is closest without going over (i.e. if u guess may 9 and it dies may 8, you lose) gets one (1) blackberry smartphone of my choosing.
runners up may get homemade blackberry preserves (guaranteed to last longer than the company or its phones!)

wildly incorrect predictions may merit gag gifts (a bold 9900 full of lice???)

blackberry is dead when i say its dead. post various definitions of rim death and i'll pick the one that makes the most sense.

i love you all. thanks and godbless
:canada::canada::canada::canada::canada::canada::canada::canada::canada::canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

PuTTY riot posted:

one dollar, bob

please this is serious

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
now i know a lot of you are thinking "this is bullshit! blackberry's gonna fold tomorrow!"

well, you're wrong bucko. bcuz the financial post (:canada:) reports that rim will be have a positive cashflow by q4 2015!!!

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

sack everybody b4 xmas. i like the cut of you are jib!

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Dr. Phildo posted:

can i take may 11 again because it is my birthday thanks

sure! :tipshat:

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

raruler posted:

aren't you biting cocoa crispies rhymes here, homeslice?

he can have said rhyme(s) back if he wants em

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Stereotype posted:

also I won the last thread with the guess of "never" if we are starting over

we will have a weird crappy blackberry entitled third party phone company forever

:rip:

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

mine's better??

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Dr. Mint posted:

this thread makes me sad because i live near rim and a bunch of my friends had to do coop jobs there i laffed at them tho one got a playbook for free and it takes like an hour for it to start up

post a death date or i'll report you for your (new???) anime avatar

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

get off my turf, crispies!

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Nelson MandEULA posted:

whoever is closest without going over (i.e. if u guess may 9 and it dies may 8, you lose) gets one (1) blackberry smartphone of my choosing.

runners up may get homemade blackberry preserves (guaranteed to last longer than the company or its phones!)

wildly incorrect predictions may merit gag gifts (a bold 9900 full of lice???)

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

the malaysia sun posted:

THE last few years have not been kind to BlackBerry.

From being the definitive smartphone in the market, the Canadian company is now a struggling shadow of its former self, having all but lost the fight against other more robust mobile device brands.

However, BlackBerry still has enough loyal customers, particularly in developing markets in Asia. The company also has a positive reputation among enterprise customers globally.

With this in mind, BlackBerry has decided to focus on enterprise solutions rather than consumer products, particularly with its most recent programme, BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 (BES10).

At a recent session showcasing the BES10 programme, local media personnel were given a run-down of its capabilities, through a series of presentations by BlackBerry Asia Pacific’s enterprise business unit director Ian Gardner and senior enterprise marketing manager Adrian Rusu.

BlackBerry Enterprise Servers are acknowledged as one of the most secure platforms in the world for data files, as experienced by corporations that use BlackBerry mobile devices in daily business interactions.

These days, however, more and more companies are allowing employees to BYOD (bring-your-own-device).

To adapt to this changing work environment, BlackBerry has developed BES10 for rival operating systems iOS and Android, a first for the company.

The programme is available as an app on each system’s app store, and uses the password-protected Secure Work Space feature to manage content and apps on both iOS and Android devices, separating work and personal data.

On BlackBerry devices, this is handled by a feature called BlackBerry Balance.

A demonstration of how the BES10 worked on all three operating systems was given by Rusu, who showed how users would be able to access their corporate email and share documents and files.

For BlackBerry device users, BlackBerry Balance is able to hide their work email and activities from the centralised BlackBerry Hub, keeping sensitive data safe from unauthorised viewers.

Once the user has entered the correct password, the information is revealed on the hub and can be worked on directly.

The user interface of BES10 among all three systems is almost the same, with relatively minor lag in synching to the server for non-BlackBerry systems.

There are three levels of enterprise mobility management (EMM) for BES10.

It starts with Basic for simple password encryption; then Corporate, which includes a higher level of security and simple tech support; and finally, Regulated, for more secure business needs, including direct on-call technical support.

The BES10 is quickly being adopted among business customers in several developing markets, and there are plans to extend the access to Secure Work Space to Microsoft Windows devices later this year.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
or, y'know, u could just get a phone with a loving fingerprint sensor :c00lbert:

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

The Management posted:

what happened to the real blackberry thread?

it was gassed so i started this one

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Miley Virus posted:

I have question

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
BlackBerry CEO focuses on a turnaround, but says he'd sell BBM for $19 billion

There's some surprise news out of Barcelona today: BlackBerry CEO John Chen told CNBC that he'd be willing to sell the company's BBM chat service... for the right price. "If somebody comes to me with $19 billion I would definitely sell it," he told an interviewer on air. "I mean, I would recommend to the board to take it."

Maybe that isn't much of a surprise after all, considering BlackBerry has a market capitalization of roughly $5.5 billion. Of course, anyone comparing BBM to WhatsApp ought to have their head examined. BlackBerry's messaging client — unlike Facebook's latest acquisition — isn't a growth business, and it has less than 20 percent the active users of WhatsApp.

But Chen has other plans to turn Blackberry around other than waiting for a fantasy offer for BBM. In an extensive profile from The Globe and Mail, Chen has reiterated many of the turnaround plans he enumerated when he took over last year. Namely, that means instilling confidence in consumers and investors that the company isn't going to run out of cash (it won't, thanks to a recent $1.25 billion in funding), and a focus on enterprise, where the lion's share of the company's revenues come from.

That latter point includes a few steps, one of which is mobile hardware. As Chen says "I think devices are still one component of the solution," though it's not clear how much longer that will be the case. In the meantime, that means making devices that make enterprise customers happy, and we've seen the first step in that process today at Mobile World Congress 2014 (MWC), where the company announced a new keyboard-equipped BlackBerry 10 device with the well-known menu, back, send, and end keys of old, as well as a trackpad.

Another part of the focus on enterprise will manifest itself in advancing its mobile security solutions for large businesses by integrating certain industry-specific tools on the server side alongside BlackBerry's legendary email and chat services. Details aren't available in the Globe and Mail article, but it's clear that Chen sees a market in industries like health care, banking, and insurance, where security is a particular concern. Outside of enterprise, Chen plans to invest and grow BBM and QNX, the company's operating system for embedded commercial solutions.

In all, BlackBerry still has a big hole to dig out of, and it seems Chen is well aware of that — even if he has a positive outlook. As he tells The Globe and Mail, "If this could be done, it would put a statement in the world. I think it’s a pretty big deal if we could save BlackBerry."

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

infernal machines posted:

ahahahahaha haha ha hoooo!

oh boy. this is going to be loving amazing.

crackberry posted:

The first BlackBerry Q20 concept makes an appearance - looking good

With the BlackBerry Q20 getting confirmed earlier today at Mobile World Congress we are in the dark as to what the device will look like exactly as it's not yet been shown off and won't be with us until the second half of 2014. With the important news that it will see a return of the trackpad and function keys it's certainly got my brain working overtime imagining how the Q20 will shape up.

The image above was posted on a BBM Channel a short time ago. It's clearly a concept of what we may expect to see from the Q20 and although at first I was a little reluctant to think about using a trackpad once again, this thing looks pretty darn sweet.

With the Q20 sporting the largest display we've yet to see on a hardware BlackBerry keyboard (3.5 inches) I'm intrigued to discover whether the keyboard on the Q20 will remain the same size as on the Q10 or whether we'll see a slight increase.

Only time will tell on the final results, but whatever happens it's exciting news for us loyal hardware keyboard fans. I think it's safe to say we'll see the also newly announced Z3 hit the market first and from where I'm sitting, that makes sense.

Hands up who's with me in thinking this concept looks darn sexy?

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
what do u wanna bet chen came up with that idea at the last possible second, hence the 'second half of 2014' launch date and lack of even a rendering or illustration of what it'll look like.

he's just with his press team and they're like "aw poo poo, we don't have anything to announce!" and he's like "uhhhh.... hmmm.... wellllllll... bring back the trackball and hardkeys? i mean, why not, right? we can work on it when we're back from barcelona.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

infernal machines posted:

when our stock price hits 88 cents you're going to see some serious poo poo!

:eyepop:

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
i just came back from germany and saw at least two people using bb10 devices.

that's right: nazis use blackeberry.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

i have no words...

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Bonzo posted:

So, at least in Canada, all non BB10 devices have been down since 9am.

so that's, what? 90% of blackberries down?

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
yeah but the new blackberry q30 with such innovative features as a trackpad and send/end hard keys will reverse this trend when it comes out at some point in tyool 2014

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
has anyone noticed that blackberry still prominently features bb7 devices on their website?

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

WhoNeedsAName posted:

Leaving them with 5 people using their devices.

:iceburn:

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Install Windows posted:

its actually pretty impressive that they've grown share, seeing as how there's no reason for people to be buying windows phones in the first place

every time i see someone using a windows phone i feel real sorry for them. like, im sorry ur so poor and stupid that some guy at the carrier store managed to convince u this was a good idea.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
good news everyone!

quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama isn't giving up his BlackBerry — at least not for now.

The White House is shooting down the notion that Obama's device is caught up in a pilot program designed to transition away from BlackBerry smartphones.

The pilot program is being carried out by the White House Communications Agency. It's part of the Defense Department and is responsible for making sure Obama has communications capabilities wherever he goes.

But White House spokesman Jay Carney says the Executive Office of the President isn't participating in any pilot programs affecting their hand-held devices.

U.S. government agencies have been one of the last bastions for BlackBerry Ltd. The company pioneered the smartphone in 1999 but has since been hammered by competition from the iPhone and Android-based rivals.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Install Windows posted:

no, obama uses the general dynamics secure windows ce thing for President Stuff and has to have it with him pretty much all the tme so he can order nuclear strikes or some poo poo, and in the past he's used both an iphone and an android for personal phones.

he was also famously photographed working out somewhere with a Zune.

there was speculation back when he first said he wanted to keep his blackberry that he'd be given the general dynamics one instead, but i cant find a single photo of him using it.

here he is as president, using a bbry:

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Smug Mug posted:

march 4 2015
i want to add my bby pearl to the prize pool.

OK

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Bonzo posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/28/5557108/blackberry-q4-2013-earnings-financial-report-bold

So they finally see that BB10 failed and yeah, when you fire over half of your workforce, that tends to cut down on expenses.

Hey, remember when we were loosing market share and struggled to come up with something different? Let's go back and do the thing that almost put us out of business to begin with.

Those Crackberry guys will buy dog poo poo in a box if we tell them to.

Dad phones forever.

stop stop i'm dyin here

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Mister Macys posted:

Ah, the Tea Party's "Pander only to your most extreme base" strategy.

ban for lf

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

The Management posted:

oh yeah, this was totally their decision and not tmo telling them to go gently caress themselves. you can't fire me, i quit!

reminds me of a friend of mine who knew his gf was gonna dump him the next time she saw him, so he just avoided her from then on and claimed he'd broken up with her.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Bonzo posted:

lol your dadphone was made at FoxConn

i think the z30 is hacha en mexico

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

the guardian posted:

How far would you go to rescue your mobile phone?
A teenager in Kent had to be rescued by firefighters after she got stuck in a storm drain while trying to retrieve her mobile phone. We want to know if you've ever gone to extreme lengths to retrieve your mobile

Ella Birchenough being rescued by firefighters after getting stuck in a storm drain while trying to retrieve her mobile phone. Photograph: Tim Richards/PA

Nowadays, most of us can't bear to be without our trusty mobile phone.

Clearly 16-year-old Ella Birchenough felt that way as she hopped into a drain to try and fetch her Blackberry after it fell out of her pocket. Unfortunately, she got stuck and had to be rescued by firefighters.

According to onlookers, the teen was quite relaxed about it all – and far more concerned with retrieving her phone. She told KentOnline: "I was talking to somebody and I went to put my phone in my pocket and it fell down the drain.

"I thought to myself, 'I'm not leaving this' and I jumped down to get it. I wasn't really even stuck, I just needed somebody to help lift me out but my mum got all panicky.

"When they pulled me out I ran straight home and jumped in the bath. I think it was just water but I wasn't taking any chances."

While Ella emerged from the drain unscathed, the same can't be said for her phone, which is now broken.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
girl shouldve just left her blackberry in the gutter where it belongs.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
sell qnx make an android qwerty based on the q5 hardware (which actually looks quite nice imho) with a keyboard-optimised skin. ditch bes. stop selling bbry 7 devices asap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

oh no fishmech agreed with me :ohdear:

• Locked thread