Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Caged posted:

who the gently caress has a problem moving the cursor around on a touchscreen? yeah my old htc was poo poo at it but if you buy a good phone running a good os then its fine. it's not a problem that needs solving by an upside down optical mouse.

i had an old htc phone like 5 years ago with a touchpad thingy on it and the only thing i ever used it for was a couple of sloppy ports of vidya games to the phone tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
the prices are all over 100 bucks these days because of AT&T having that special deal where bringing in just about any blackberry from any carrier would get you $100 in credit at corporate stores.

god bless at&t for ridding the world of thousands of blackberries

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr Dog posted:

what's so bad about qnx anyway?

nothing

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

dcseankun posted:

reminder

International Data Corporation is so full of poo poo

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
now that we're done posting old projections though, here's real data

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
it's weird how there's no easily acessible charts of actual smartphone shares for like all major oses past and present. too many of them stick to just showing the current 3 or 4 top ones

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

you know someone at ms got a bonus because "25% growth in market share!"

its actually pretty impressive that they've grown share, seeing as how there's no reason for people to be buying windows phones in the first place

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

that's probably what one of his aides or a marine carries on his behalf for class poo poo

no, obama uses the general dynamics secure windows ce thing for President Stuff and has to have it with him pretty much all the tme so he can order nuclear strikes or some poo poo, and in the past he's used both an iphone and an android for personal phones.

he was also famously photographed working out somewhere with a Zune.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mister Macys posted:

When the remains of BBRY up and move wholesale to China/Africa/India to become El Cheapo Intl., can we count that as a death?

none of those places want blackberries now that cheaper androids are flooding them that do more.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Blackula69 posted:

they gave my boss a free q10, but it's pretty obviously a refurb. weird.

by refurbished you mean taken off the shelf at a carrier store when they sent them back right

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Necc0 posted:

thought experiment: you're now ceo of blackberry. how do you save the company

android phones, with a bbos skin for olds who care about bb

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
also: sell QNX immediately. this both avoids burdening QNX with ongoing assocaition with rim, and gives a much needed cash infusion

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nelson MandEULA posted:

sell qnx make an android qwerty based on the q5 hardware (which actually looks quite nice imho) with a keyboard-optimised skin. ditch bes. stop selling bbry 7 devices asap.

agreed

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nelson MandEULA posted:

of course, in the era of byod, a primarily business-oriented phone isn't gonna make much money

it will make more money at less cost than continuing with bb7 or bb10.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
droid x phones are kinda like old camrys in that respect

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

lampey posted:

The marines use bb for most of the smartphones.

fitting cuz the marines are the stupidest branch about a lot of things

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A Pinball Wizard posted:

what is the difference between the navy and the marines like literally all I know is they both have to do with water and they each think the other is a bunch of rear end in a top hat faggots

navy guys can chill the gently caress out ever

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cold on a Cob posted:

everyone i know in toronto has android or iphone now

in most countries blackberry sales have dropped so low they're now part of the statistical noise in "other" rather than reported on its own

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cold on a Cob posted:

who the gently caress cares if a dead platform had a thing first?

media + people: iphone has a new thing yay!
#BBFactCheck: bbry already has it!!
media + people: yeah but now it's on iphone! yay iphone!!

also whatever thing blackberry tries to claim was probably on symbian first even

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FrozenVent posted:

hey what's the proper way to destroy blackberries to make sure the data isn't too recoverable?

allow them to be used

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

~Coxy posted:

yeah wasn't the iphone 3gs the first one to actually have that as opposed to a 7 pass overwrite

All you need on flash memory is a single zero pass

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
lotus notes for android

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bonzo posted:

so apple just posted 7.7 billion in profit. That's a lot of money to use to push into the Enterprise.

and fail

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
rip in peace apple

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FMguru posted:

they really should merge it with the winpho and win rt threads

windows phone has market share and sales volume that's statistically distinguishable from baseline noise tho

and poo poo theres probably more windows rt devices being sold at this rate than blackberries

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
During the second quarter, over 255 million Android-based devices shipped worldwide, representing an 84.7 percent market share, IDC reported on Thursday. Apple's iOS came in second place with 11.7 percent market share and 35.2 million shipments. Combined, the Google and Apple operating systems own 96 percent of the global smartphone market, according to IDC.

Windows Phone was only able to nab 2.5 percent of the market in the second quarter on 7.4 million shipments. Blackberry came in fourth place with 0.5 percent share, according to IDC [about 1.5 million shipments].

:drat:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

qirex posted:

as hilarious as that is don't use IDC numbers please, they're vgchartz with MBAs

they were the only numbers i could find that actually broke out blackberry numbers for q2 instead of lumping them into "other"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

fleshweasel posted:

can we stop with this "devices shipped" bullshit because it doesn't mean anything

wrong

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
the fact that blackberry is unable to bribe stors to accept more than half a million blackberries a month is a p important thing

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nelson MandEULA posted:

shocked this hadn't happened already:

nah since its total userbase and 1% of people were still using symbian last year its not much of a surprise blackberry was still holding onto to some people

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

graph posted:

"feels good in the hand" is like the ultimate tell that someone has no idea about design or anything

or that they're trying to come up with anything positive to say, and its pretty much the lowest bar

just a step above "this is definitely a phone" - engadget review, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
basically if you get a review of something that already seems pretty poo poo where they don't even mention "feels good in the hand", it's such a crappy product that there's nothing to say to redeem it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

qirex posted:

I really want to know what all these Serious Business dudes actually do for a living

half unemployed, half eternal middle management

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Grandmaster.flv posted:

I didn't screenshot it but I just saw a girl on tinder who listed her BBM and I can't help but wonder who the gently caress is <24 with a blackberry even remotely ITYOOL 2014

its the hot new fetish that's sweeping the nation, along with retro-icq

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

the literal truth

isn't there a keyboard addon for iphones that's a literal blackberry clone

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
yeah but it's a small electronic item so you can surely order them from the same chinese factory on aliexpress or whatever.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE posted:

what the gently caress. i still can't believe the one manager at work bought a passport. at least we ditched the bes server a couple years back.

you sure he didnt lose a bet

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Martytoof posted:

ive been making jokes about how bad blackberries are for years and now work gave me one

its really bad i'm not joking

a preferable phone would be no phone at all

haha you fell under a wizard's curse

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
hmmm so all business "journalists" in canada use lovely phones you say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe