Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

FMguru posted:

Male professionals will love the PP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jimmy Carter posted:

Talked to a guy using a Passport for work. He was dual-wielding it with his iPhone, because he "could edit Office documents on it and you can't beat having a keyboard for emails"

To be real here: if having a hardware keyboard was so incredibly desirable and productivity-enhancing, why hasn't there been an Android phone as of late with it as a starring feature, to clean up on the "serious business" market?

I wish I knew; I'd unironically buy a phone with a hardware keyboard. I think the Droid 4 was the last one that had it? And that was like 4 years ago.

I don't care how old I sound, I type way better with physical keys. But obviously it's one of those things I just have to accept that there's no alternative options for me. Though in a sea of phones that all look the same, I'd think one would want to stick out and have one. They probably don't just because people will think you're using a Sidekick or some poo poo.

Physical button supremacy.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

max4me posted:

should i get a priv? i like keyboards

been using a galaxy s

i dont text anymore i just call people

The Priv is completely unrootable and it looks like hackers will never be able to get root access on it. This is important to some people because you need root to do certain things like tether w/ unlimited data, uninstall bloat (lol that this is an issue on Android but it is), mirror your phone to your computer screen, hold "back" to kill apps quickly, block ads, youtube background/screen off playback, etc; stuff like that.

If you don't care about that stuff, it's a recent Android phone with a keyboard, so it's literally your only choice. I would try one out in person first, though. The reviews on it are pretty OK but yeah if you want a physical keyboard it's your only choice.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

:psypop:

the entire focus of the device's marketing has been "security". of course you can't loving root it

I really don't know much about what goes into rooting or how people figure out how to do it, or why on some phones it's easy and others (the Priv) it's impossible. I wasn't even aware that the bootloader had anything to do with rooting. I thought the bootloader poo poo was from years ago when people used to use those stupid custom ROMs or whatever?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

if the bootloader is locked down right it won't boot unsigned code, so no custom roms and nothing that affects the android kernel that isn't signed by a trusted authority (i.e. rim)

if you can gain root without those then your userland security is completely hosed and nothing running on the device can be trusted. either way once the phone is rooted you have no mdm security so the device can't be used anywhere that's required because there's no way to know if your mdm restrictions and commands are actually being enforced. and anything that has root access theoretically has access to all your otherwise "secured" data (e.g. mail, contacts, calendars) from your organization as well as your user credentials used to access that data

Makes sense; I was just confused by your statement of "of course you can't root it" as if all the other phones that can be rooted were done so because the companies making them were cool with it or whatever. You do have to give RIM credit for making a phone that no one can root (the same way I guess that you could give Sony credit for making the Vita which no one can crack).

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

again though it's unlikely that the priv is actually unrootable, instead of that it's sold so few units that there doesn't happen to be anyone with the necessary expertise owning one.

hence my Vita comparison :v:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Analingus

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I would definitely say getting out of hardware is considered dead. Otherwise you could say Blockbuster Video is still around or Circuit City still exists because it redirects to Tiger Direct. It's dead.

Kind of sad to be honest because I was still hoping a decent phone with physical keys would one day exist again in the future.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Waterloo, couldn't escape if you wanted to

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

power botton posted:

what was the phone or tablet that was totally bricked once the battery was discharged was that a surface or a BBRY

a very expensive UMPC called the Oquo or something had that I remember

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

minivanmegafun posted:

what would that even be, like sending a rep to stand on a street corner in a sizable city and hand out phones for free?

more people shoplifted Blackberries and returned them for store credit than the number of people who bought them

• Locked thread