Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

if you have one and you paid for it then there's no saving you

SneakyFrog posted:

I ordered a drat Priv, here in the blackberry thread I confess my shame.

Hope it doesn't suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

infernal machines posted:

yes, it's nothing but hubris all the way down

It's really amazing how they made the exact same mistakes that they took advantage of when their competitors did it on their way up.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Lazaridis just not comprehending why people weren't giving a gently caress about how economic BBs were with data is just loving lol

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

qirex posted:

forgot who his customers were, thinking that wireless carries who were at the time the ultimate gatekeepers of what devices succeeded were who he needed to please

praise stebe for telling the carriers to get hosed

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

praise stebe for telling the carriers to get hosed

quote:

AT&T had seen something like this coming. Almost as soon as the first iPhone was introduced in 2007, the carrier realized it might run short of bandwidth. Within just a few months, the first wave of iPhone customers was already sucking down about 15 times more data than the average smartphone customer and 50 percent more than AT&T had itself projected. In a bid to avert the looming problem, a team headed by senior vice president Kris Rinne met with Apple to ask for help. Of course AT&T was planning to upgrade its network to handle the increased demand, Rinne’s team told Apple executives, but that was going to take years. In the meantime, would Apple take measures to help throttle back the traffic? Perhaps Apple could restrict its YouTube app to run only over Wi-Fi. Maybe the iPhone could feature a smaller, lower-resolution videostream or cut off YouTube videos after one minute. Rinne, who had already met with Apple’s iPhone team at least half a dozen times, fully expected the company to play along. After all, manufacturers agreed to such restrictions all the time. It didn’t make sense to build phones and offer features that carriers couldn’t support.

But in meetings with Apple engineers and marketers over the subsequent year, Rinne and other AT&T executives discovered that Apple wasn’t playing by traditional wireless rules. It wasn’t interested in cooperating, especially if it meant hobbling what had quickly become its marquee product. For Apple, the idea of restricting the iPhone was akin to asking Steve Jobs to ditch the black turtleneck. “They tried to have that conversation with us a number of times,” says someone from Apple who was in the meetings. “We consistently said ‘No, we are not going to mess up the consumer experience on the iPhone to make your network tenable.’ They’d always end up saying, ‘We’re going to have to escalate this to senior AT&T executives,’ and we always said, ‘Fine, we’ll escalate it to Steve and see who wins.’ I think history has demonstrated how that turned out.”

can you just imagine that

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
yo blackberry I will do John Chen's job for literally 1/2 of what you're paying him and you will get the same results

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
three for all and then what could be the opening paragraph of erotic fiction

getting their money's worth of the ad budget I see

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

i cannot get over how loving terrible the branding is. full caps all over the place using a font that was a default in office 97.

at this point we should count ourselves lucky it's not in comic sans or papyrus

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

mishaq posted:

no one is affected by the outage

:thurman:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

mishaq posted:

every time this thread resurfaces my heart skips a beat grows three sizes

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

nobody expected them to hang on for this long when the thread started.

how long until the phone brand is sold to some shithouse chinese oem and they try to become an mdm vendor

lol never, Canada will never let that happen

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
lmao, literally the last thing they could hang their hat on and it's loving gone

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

infernal machines posted:

how was this the last thing they could hang their hat on? they gave the keys to loving pakistan and saudi arabia years ago. there is a 100% chance the american intelligence services have had them since day one.

this interview is over

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
again, if you haven't read Losing the Signal, I highly suggest you do.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

lg literally did this

part of the obamaphone program

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

mishaq posted:

hosed up that the government would impose lg on the needy

thobama