Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
the last thing i did at my canadian telco job was redeem some ambassador contractless phone thing but we had a special deal with blackberry so instead of $300 off an iphone i got a free $500 blackberry bold and immediately sold it on craigslist to some early twenty something girl

that's my only non shameful blackberry story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Nelson MandEULA posted:

so that's, what? 90% of blackberries down?

as most of them are corp govt accounts, lol yup

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

graph posted:

.... how exclusive

my first ever firstnamelastname email address was a telus.blackberry.net address in 2008 and i was super happy about it

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

PleasureKevin posted:

truly surreal

how the gently caress do you hold that thing and type without it falling out of your hands from the top weight

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

FrozenVent posted:

yeah we tried that and they're old as ball, like they're not even phone snapped.

admin wants me to drill through them but erm I don't think that's a great idea

same thing you should do with every old phone
wipe them from the handheld and donate them to a women's shelter

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

All you need on flash memory is a single zero pass

spinners hard drives too

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

mishaq posted:

indians/indonesians, with family back home

this is all whatsapp now
they crushed the gently caress out of blackberrys market

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
saw a blackberry on the train this morning
dude was trying to browse the web on an old bold and it was pretty painful to watch

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

must be a piece of poo poo firm.

my fiance works at a modern good law firm and they get 10% off apple products with their emp id at the store and also everyone even down to summer interns gets issued newest iphone (she just got an email to turn in her 5S to get a 6 yesterday).

my work discount is 10% off Apple products retail price which includes 12% GST but charges the tax on top anyways making things actually 2% more expensive

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
But none of this changes one fact: The Passport is big. Super big. So big that I could show it to my kids’ friends and convince most of them that it is some sort of Cro-Magnon relic from the 1990s. My iPhone often ended up in a shirt pocket. But that feels awkward with the Passport. In fact, there are a few shirts I own that actually do not permit this without busting the pocket stitching. When I asked my wife to try it with some of her blouses, she couldn’t get the Passport to fit in any of them. Even in my pants, the Passport was an awkward fit. It really only makes sense in a jacket, briefcase or purse. So to state the obvious: This business-oriented phone is hardly the ideal phone for, say, the beach or hiking trail.

This may explain the intensely gendered response I got to my Passport when I was seen using it in public places like Starbucks, McDonalds, Taco Del Mar or office-building elevators. Over the last month, numerous strangers have approached me to ask about the device. They are always men. The women I’ve shown the Passport to — including female colleagues, my wife and her friends — seem vaguely horrified by the thing. Even with two hands, the Passport feels like something that fell off the bottom of an old fridge. I assure them that they’d get used to it in a few days, if they give it a chance. But the starkly boxy aesthetics scare them off.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

isn't there a keyboard addon for iphones that's a literal blackberry clone

also you can pair basically any Bluetooth keyboard to an phone

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

this was like 2010, and I never knew anyone that didn't work for the government to use blackberries before that

kinda crazy

iirc this was riiiiiight before the availability of the cdma iPhone which finally crushed the last of the holdouts

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

infernal machines posted:

man's getting cucked by sarnsung. some shameful poo poo.

barb! barb, please the other guys all see you with samsung and they know.. barb. barb you're embarrassing me in front of the other ceos

SAMSUNG
MEANS
TO COME

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
it's really surprising you have to manually reset the blackberry these days, you'd think their qnx stuff would be able to reboot itself mid flight like those cars that would accelerate infinitely

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

also while i was googling this did u know that mike lazaridis really obviously edited his own wiki page

lol it's now

fishmech posted:

Mihal "Mike" Lazaridis, OC, O.Ont, FRS (Greek: Μιχαήλ (Μιχάλης) Λαζαρίδης; born March 14, 1961) is a Greek - Canadian businessman, investor in quantum computing technologies, and founder and Vice Chairman of BlackBerry, which created and manufactures the BlackBerry wireless handheld device. As a passionate advocate for the power of basic science to improve and transform the world[citation needed],

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

atomicthumbs posted:

i've done the needful

:tipshat:

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

theflyingexecutive posted:

it's kinda sad that bb sold all their buildings and now has to rent from the guy to which they sold them

TELUS did this to subsidize the buildout of the HSPA network so it's not uncommon to raise capital but you have to be an actual company that makes money so you can buy them back later

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
please keep your garbage city talk out of the Canada thread

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

most carriers offer an alternative way to do it over data or regular calls.

there was a lot of push back against this, they brought out a CDMA model early on and the chirp setup time was something awful like 13 seconds that the lovely iden ones sold on

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
the construction dudes loved the push to talk though, especially the dudes who worked out in remote parts of BC because some of the models could switch to walkie talkie mode when out of cell coverage

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
oh and for some reason we didn't bill (probably couldn't) roamers on the network and so there were these bizarro Brazilian and Mexican students who used it to talk back home by shouting at their phones in public

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
the best support call I ever got was a guy with a lovely blackberry version who complained his data was slow because that awful iden network was pretty much stuck at dialup speeds

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
even before the domain came out my old roommate used to get notifications from his uni job board saying "great rim jobs available"

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I have the feeling it started out as a joke but became so popular due to being hilarious that they couldn't stop it

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

in canada everyone lives in toronto

anyone who says otherwise is ashamed of their heritage

this is what people in Toronto think and it's why even for Canadians they're insufferable

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

also you need some context

toronto is the most multicultural city in canada, the population is over 50% immigrants

when people outside of toronto say they hate toronto, it's actually because they're racist hicks and hate dem furriners

just wait for a vancouverite to pop in and say something incredibly racist about chinese people...

lmao at this idiot
people hate your garbage city full of white assholes, somehow filling it half with immigrants has just made the remainder shittier people
vancouver owns and I'd sure as gently caress still be there if the cost of living wasn't piss

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mister Macys posted:

is blackberry Huawei's picture of Dorian Grey, since Huawei went from android rimpho knockoff company to east asian mobile powerhouse?

no, Huawei sells a ton of networking poo poo and their stuff is the cheap option for running your mobile networks, it's the same poo poo that is keeping Nokia alive

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I told so many poor bastards to take their broken storm back to the store but the major audience was Tech Dads so they got pretty much what they deserved

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
the pearl 8130 owners though were 99% just regular people and that no space text messaging thing was brutal and took two years to finally fix lol

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
at its peak in 2009 blackberry had a market share of 20% compared to nokias 40%

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

I had a Nokia e71 and it was a good phone

iphone think pieces written before the app store should be given a bit of a pass IMO, not enough to excuse that smugstorm above but in context they're slightly more forgivable

used a Nokia e71 for testing roaming networks it owned and was basically as close to fuckin spec as you could get. nokia also makes (made??) really solid cell network poo poo but huawei probably has crushed them into he ground by now

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

mishaq posted:

they still do, and they're about to buy alcatel-lucent lol

lol those poor bastards have no idea what they're buying into

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
no it was generally okay as a concept, a thing you keep all your business plans in for your endless middle management meetings, it was just a turd of a product

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
i never got to read the text on the playbook because of the two that came to our demo lab at telus for their debut one was completely defunct out of the box (the fun thing where the batteries decharged 100% at the warehouse) and the other required a massive update out of the box to even be functional and took way longer than the few hours they had setup for someone from blackberry to do the tour so they just showed videos of it on their laptop

something similar happened too with the storm launch party where the actual storm data connections didnt work at all and the ceo cracked a fit when the phone that would ~*propel them into the future*~ because we were still on cdma without the iphone was a complete piss

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
my father in laws blackberry finally kicked it and i swooped in to give him an iPhone 4s as a temp replacement, hoping it sticks

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

i'm sorry your brain damage is so severe that you use an iphone

that's our fishmech!!

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
that's our fishmech is filmed before a live studio audience, no amines were harmed in the filming of this show

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

that's much more android than anyone needs, which is 0 android

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
blackberry did legit architect the rise of the smartphone though:

- got carriers way more into to large subsidies in exchange for hella data ARPU
- got smartphones and MDM into the enterprise and govt
- made browsing at least tolerable (compared to wap lmao)

ahmeni fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
then handed the entire loving thing over to google and apple while plugging their ears and screaming the Canadian national anthem

• Locked thread