Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

quote:

Locking all those special tools behind progression was also a REALLY dumb idea. Yep.. let’s PREVENT players from doing cool stuff until they’ve made 100 dumb swords, and harvested 100 plants. If I had my way, everything would have just been open to use.. Go nuts creation mode.

This is what stopped me from even trying the free beta, who the gently caress would of played minecraft if you had to chop 100 wood with your hands before you could make a crafting table or break 10 wooden pickaxs to be able to make a stone one?

What does all this leveling really add to the game besides a timegate, I would very much like to one day see a MMO style game without a leveling treadmill and everything being open, the only limiter being player knowledge and resources.

There are things like that on the small scale with certain games that are very popular but nobody has thought to make a large MMO of the sort.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
What the gently caress?? You had to do that?? This game seems like it was designed by a schizophrenic dog.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This is my favorite part:

quote:

Georgeson went around the office telling anyone within earshot that EverQuest Next “didn’t need designers” and that “players will make the content for us”. Suffice it to say, this kind of talk was rather demoralizing for other teams within the company that valued storytelling.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i want to poop on the corpse of this game and then pee on the poop

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

This is what stopped me from even trying the free beta, who the gently caress would of played minecraft if you had to chop 100 wood with your hands before you could make a crafting table or break 10 wooden pickaxs to be able to make a stone one?

What does all this leveling really add to the game besides a timegate, I would very much like to one day see a MMO style game without a leveling treadmill and everything being open, the only limiter being player knowledge and resources.

There are things like that on the small scale with certain games that are very popular but nobody has thought to make a large MMO of the sort.

I thought I'd give it a try when it was free because having a bunch of cool fantasy MMO building tools sounded like it might be fun. Then I played it and found out you had to grind for hours for the privilege of building a dilapidated shed for them to put in their MMO. No thanks.

I remember seeing some steam charts putting it's peak users in the low single digits over the past few weeks so its closure isn't exactly surprising.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 10, 2017

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I remember being disappointed at the beginning. Then they said they added combat and enemies. I logged in and got killed immediately by a laggy, glitchy plant monster thing in a cave I couldn't get out of. Fun.

Oh yeah. Remember when CAVES were a feature people anxiously awaited? What the gently caress.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
And they couldn't get them to work right so they had you teleport into a 'cave'.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The WoW private server community used to have "funservers" where you could just get everything and go do all the content.

They were really fun.

MMOs are by far more entertaining and enjoyable without the grind. The problem is it's business suicide so no one will invest in it. No investment means no one to keep the servers online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

puberty worked me over posted:

The WoW private server community used to have "funservers" where you could just get everything and go do all the content.

They were really fun.

MMOs are by far more entertaining and enjoyable without the grind. The problem is it's business suicide so no one will invest in it. No investment means no one to keep the servers online.

There's a few of those up for EQ now too. I still play Project1999 on occassion, but sometimes I dip into a sandbox EQ server and just go sightseeing.

• Locked thread