Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
:siren:Patch is up, but servers are still down.:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
How did you get the installer to stop crashing after installing a bit O_o

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
On New Zealand internet speeds it's going to take an hour to download the patch, I guess I won't be getting a claim on this server either. :(

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.

Vulcan posted:

How did you get the installer to stop crashing after installing a bit O_o

Just keep trying. Serenity is up!

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Gonna laugh if everything is claimed already. It's going pretty slow on my very good east coast internet.

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
bahahaha all the claims around the starter area are already taken for quite a ways out (tried a no-name tier 3 zone), what a joke.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Trying to find a claim! Is it just me or is the claim stuff still not updated? Or was that part coming later?

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

Yeah even on the silly name server CTS chose on serenity, they're going really drat fast.

I barely managed to get a claim that's on grass.

ninjaedit: my in game name is Nlivin, feel free to say high.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Got a nice mountain NE of the spawn in Pingo. Most goons are heading NW though.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
I got a kickin' rad mountaintop claim on Pingo. Now to, uh, figure out how to play the loving game.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Yeah...brand new empty server, and by the time I got patched - a 3 in the morning - there were claims popping up faster than you could run to an open spot.

I'm out.

Calling Customer Service to get my monies back in the morning. Alpha's definitely not for me - not for $100, anyway.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Got a claim on Serenity Pingo up in the NE corner on a nice green hill with the forest on one side and the desert on the other. it's not exactly central but man this place is filling up fast.

Hah, my earlier AFK tree farming left me with 200,000 logs and 12,000 burled logs. Not bad!

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 5, 2014

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Kenny Rogers posted:

Calling Customer Service to get my monies back in the morning. Alpha's definitely not for me - not for $100, anyway.

I'd be interested to see how well this goes, since I pre-ordered under the impression that EQN and Landmark were the same thing, instead of Landmark being a prelude to some different game entirely.

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

Erm, how do you delete trees from your claim?

I cut it down and it respawns in a minute. :downs:

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Zaq posted:

Erm, how do you delete trees from your claim?

I cut it down and it respawns in a minute. :downs:

You can right(?) click them and remove them.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Wow a major company selling ALPHA access to their game, and for $100 dollars no less? I'd expect as much from desperate indie developers or the shitheap that Funcom has become, trying to pawn off early access to their "new engine" that will never be released, but Sony? What the hell.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Mercury_Storm posted:

Wow a major company selling ALPHA access to their game, and for $100 dollars no less? I'd expect as much from desperate indie developers or the shitheap that Funcom has become, trying to pawn off early access to their "new engine" that will never be released, but Sony? What the hell.

Yeah, while I admit it was my mistake to not thoroughly pick through the info detailing that EQN and Landmark are two different games being developed at the same time and using the same forums apparently, I thought that I was pre-ordering a game that would later be sold rather than paying to alpha test a game that will be free to play, while EQN will undoubtedly cost money on its own.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mercury_Storm posted:

This is a really stupid post considering that the game is F2P on release. Some people just want to get their voice heard and actually influence the game. I haven't paid any money to SOE, but I see no problem with a company wanting a huge database of info from people while making features in the game instead of just their QA department that is probably filled with a bunch of Yes-Men. As an E-Poor, I'll be F2Ping this at release, but I'm glad they gave access now so they can hear feedback like "harvesting wood is boring." Maybe they will change that now. Maybe they would have kept in boring wood-chopping all the way through beta and retail if they didn't hear those things. Who knows, but now is the time that you can actually voice your concerns and make changes if you post something constructive on their forums. I wish TESO gave Alpha access years ago so everyone could tell them that their game sucks and they probably shouldn't be releasing a wow clone but ya know, Zenimax didn't give us that choice.

This isn't beta testing; it's building a video game testing. Alpha is a bit different than beta. I think a LOT of people are getting confused on the differences between the two.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 5, 2014

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Mercury_Storm posted:

Yeah, I don't think this is that at all. I think this is more "hey, if you're really into EQ and you want the ability to dramatically shape the direction we take this game, here's an opportunity to do so". They've been really open about offering refunds to people who are unhappy and, additionally, making it clear that buying in at this point isn't required by any means. This isn't some scummy Kickstarter-esque thing where they're pretending you're getting one thing and you're ending up with another. If you are a big EQ fan, like what they're doing, and want to help shape it then buy into Landmark now. If you don't then no big deal. I just don't see the scumminess here at all.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

I understand that letting people alpha and beta-test the game is super good for getting important feedback but I don't see how that alone justifies charging up to $100 dollars for the privilege.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Capntastic posted:

I understand that letting people alpha and beta-test the game is super good for getting important feedback but I don't see how that alone justifies charging up to $100 dollars for the privilege.

Consider this, you are currently posting on a site that has a $10 paywall to block out some of the idiots out there so this place isn't Reddit Jr. They are doing the same thing. They want people who are actually interested in building the game play-testing right now and discussing it on their forums. They just have a bigger paywall than this place and probably a few less idiots because of that.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

SymfonyMan posted:

They just have a bigger paywall than this place and probably a few less idiots because of that.

I get what you're saying, but I don't know if I'd want to play a free-to-play game (with cash shop) that was designed by people fine with paying $100 for the alpha.

Either way, my main concern is that I don't actually know what Landmark intends to be when all the dust clears. A sandbox building game? An MMO with bolted Minecraft elements? A standalone free-to-play version of the 'real' Everquest Next game? Having played the alpha for hours, I can't quite get a read on it.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Here is my lovely-rear end map of lovely showing where we are at being lovely.

The Spire is located JUST south and due east of where Stacker is listed, for reference.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Capntastic posted:

A sandbox building game? An MMO with bolted Minecraft elements? A standalone free-to-play version of the 'real' Everquest Next game?

Yes, potentially, never.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I'm on the hill between Al Borland and Stacker. My claim is in so I am crashing.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
Burled Lumber, I loving despise you.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Access to the Alpha actually starts at $60~

I never pre-order games and usually only buy them during Steam sales, but I'm okay with throwing SOE $60 to show there's interest for a competently done Minecraft clone.

Also, they should just drastically cut the buffer zone around claims.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

SymfonyMan posted:

This is a really stupid post considering that the game is F2P on release. Some people just want to get their voice heard and actually influence the game. I haven't paid any money to SOE, but I see no problem with a company wanting a huge database of info from people while making features in the game instead of just their QA department that is probably filled with a bunch of Yes-Men. As an E-Poor, I'll be F2Ping this at release, but I'm glad they gave access now so they can hear feedback like "harvesting wood is boring." Maybe they will change that now. Maybe they would have kept in boring wood-chopping all the way through beta and retail if they didn't hear those things. Who knows, but now is the time that you can actually voice your concerns and make changes if you post something constructive on their forums. I wish TESO gave Alpha access years ago so everyone could tell them that their game sucks and they probably shouldn't be releasing a wow clone but ya know, Zenimax didn't give us that choice.

This isn't beta testing; it's building a video game testing. Alpha is a bit different than beta. I think a LOT of people are getting confused on the differences between the two.

Wow that's a lot of words from someone trying to justify spending 60-100 USDollars for a privilege to alpha test, or $20 to beta test a game for a major corporation.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Well, I'm completely bugged. My claim is eating my items when I put them down. Hopefully this will get fixed soon.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

It takes a long time to saw 200,000 logs!

The UI is totally whack for me in terms of my claims. It says I have 2 on Liberation where I have none, and none on Serenity where I definitely have one.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Shinino Kage posted:

Well, I'm completely bugged. My claim is eating my items when I put them down. Hopefully this will get fixed soon.

The curse of Frog temple strikes! :getin:

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mercury_Storm posted:

Wow that's a lot of words from someone trying to justify spending 60-100 USDollars for a privilege to alpha test, or $20 to beta test a game for a major corporation.

I thought at first "maybe I shouldn't respond to this person since it seems like they don't know much about this game", but I did anyway. You apparently didn't even take the time to read the post you quoted. :psyduck: This isn't gbs. I'm way to poor to spend money on this man! I will be F2Ping the poo poo out of it though when it goes retail if it ends up being any good.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I started building a weird, lovely little cabin just to learn how the construction tools work. They're kind of slow, but they're not too bad. Once I can get the rest of the tools crafted I'll probably be able to do some cool things? But for now, I ran out of wood before I made a roof so my dumb shack has no ceiling. I'll probably tear it all down anyway and build some cool valley ruins or something instead though.

Frog temple's gotta have a frog valley with a forbidden frog ruin, right?

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

I just made an "inferior silversteel pick" does it actually matter in terms of digging stuff up? It seems to be working on tungsten just fine, and marble.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Zaq posted:

I just made an "inferior silversteel pick" does it actually matter in terms of digging stuff up? It seems to be working on tungsten just fine, and marble.

I think 'inferior' tools are just slower and do less damage. You can mouse over them in your inventory to check the stats. Their quality doesn't affect what resources you can use them on AFAIK.

But the RNG involved with crafting items isn't very fun IMO, especially when the tools start to cost a boatload of resources to craft.

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

itsnice2bnice posted:

I think 'inferior' tools are just slower and do less damage. You can mouse over them in your inventory to check the stats. Their quality doesn't affect what resources you can use them on AFAIK.

But the RNG involved with crafting items isn't very fun IMO, especially when the tools start to cost a boatload of resources to craft.

I am unable to mine what I assume is gold at the end of tungsten veins. Is that supposed to happen?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Zaq posted:

I am unable to mine what I assume is gold at the end of tungsten veins. Is that supposed to happen?

Same for me and I have a regular silversteel pick.

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

Rasmussen posted:

Same for me and I have a regular silversteel pick.

Ok thanks :)

Could someone who is further than me list the colors of ores and what's usually at the end of them? That would be super helpful. Thanks.

EDIT: Also I could use some tips as to the progression. I assume now that I have a silversteel pick that a 'Marble Forge' is next?

Zaq fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 5, 2014

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

I think you need the Tin Trimmed Work Bench to get Worked Marble from it first.

If or when there's a character wipe I'll write this stuff down since it's a little confusing at times.

Currently I'm stuck collecting Burled Wood. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So if I wont be able to log on until 5pm EST or so today, is there any chance of me getting a claim on Pingo?

• Locked thread