Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
I remember there being a website called skunkworks back in 97-98 that was specifically dedicated to UO exploits. I'm pretty sure they had a "free" section and a "paid" section. In retrospect, I have no fuckin idea how payment would have worked back then for such a site; nor do I have any idea how such a site was able to exist and not just have OSI fix the bugs immediately.

I do remember successfully breaking into people's houses though by having one person stand on the house steps as a ghost, then you rez the ghost, and at the time ghosts could still walk around with that dialog up, so he'd just take one more step forward and then accept the rez while standing inside, then just open the door for the rezzer and the two of you loot away. The first time I did it was such a mixed bag of emotions, I honestly felt really guilty and also insanely excited and happy at the same time; over a computer game. UO could provoke intense emotional reactions. My heart has never pounded so hard during any other game as when pks (at the time known as Dread Lords I think?) showed up to ruin your day.

Oh hi new page; let the derail continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

All of this is super interesting. I remember buying a lovely word processor guide off eBay for $20 detailing all the bugs and glitches in Everquest when I was 15. Like where you could stand to kill Freeport guards while untouchable due to patching.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Alright, another CS fact... at SOE there was the turn over of at least one GM a week because of inappropriate use of the GM clients on games to "help" their personal characters or guild. I imagine that's the same with most MMOs.

So at the time I worked at SOE I was playing EVE (played for 7 years) and the player base as complaining about GMs helping out their alliances, and CCP denied everything. Everyone who worked in the industry knew that this denial was 100% bullshit.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
While we are on derail and just laughing at daybreak in general, here is some more fun news.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?649784-Standing-Stone-Games-A-message-from-Rob-Ciccolini&p=7676699#post7676699

tldr: daybreak is taking over both DDO and LOTRO from turbine. What that leaves for turbine, I have no idea.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

JuffoWup posted:

While we are on derail and just laughing at daybreak in general, here is some more fun news.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?649784-Standing-Stone-Games-A-message-from-Rob-Ciccolini&p=7676699#post7676699

tldr: daybreak is taking over both DDO and LOTRO from turbine. What that leaves for turbine, I have no idea.

rip. I feel bad for lotro and ddo players.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

JuffoWup posted:

Daybreak is just publishing the games. The LOTRO and DDO teams are splintering from Turbine into an indie studio. I wouldn't be surprised to see WB close Turbine in a few weeks/months.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

jabro posted:

Daybreak is just publishing the games. The LOTRO and DDO teams are splintering from Turbine into an indie studio. I wouldn't be surprised to see WB close Turbine in a few weeks/months.

Yeah, I saw in the DDO thread them linking that turbine has also announced that AC1 and 2 will have their servers shut down at the end of january. So RIP Turbine and RIP Dereth. I miss the old days of exploring the direlands actually in fear of my life while dodging each of the spawn circles.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

JuffoWup posted:

tldr: daybreak is taking over both DDO and LOTRO from turbine.
Russian efforts to undermine American fun and relaxation are simply not up to the high bar set by their interfering with democracy efforts.

They came for our MMOs and we did nothing because MMOs are a stagnant genre many gamers don't care about anymore.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

JuffoWup posted:

Yeah, I saw in the DDO thread them linking that turbine has also announced that AC1 and 2 will have their servers shut down at the end of january. So RIP Turbine and RIP Dereth. I miss the old days of exploring the direlands actually in fear of my life while dodging each of the spawn circles.

Weren't they going to open source the AC1 server software or something like that or was I just imagining that?

Also AC2's servers were still up? Why? Was anyone ever actually connected to them? Did they just seal off the room accidentally and forgot the servers existed?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

MisterZimbu posted:

Weren't they going to open source the AC1 server software or something like that or was I just imagining that?

Also AC2's servers were still up? Why? Was anyone ever actually connected to them? Did they just seal off the room accidentally and forgot the servers existed?

1) They had said to open source ac1 server software, but that apparently never happened and probably never will.

2) AC2 was resurrected a year or so ago. The intent was to offer it up again, but was still in a beta phase as they were trying to reverse engineer how Microsoft's chat server (that kept crashing mind you) worked.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

quote:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING LANDMARK
On Tues‌day, Febr‌uary ‌21, 20‌17 at 4:0‌0PM PS‌T Landmark game servers will close.

Starting immediately, Landmark will no longer be available for purchase. All items in the Markeplace with a Daybreak Cash price will have their price reduced to 1DBC.

Additionally, Player Studio items will no longer be available for listing or purchase in the Landmark Marketplace.

For additional information regarding this announcement, please see the Landmark website.

Daybreak Game Company LLC
https://www.daybreakgames.com

Not that we didn't see this coming..

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Good riddance to Landmark, gently caress this game.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Should have focused on the actual Everquest Next game instead of putting so many resources in that Landmark crap. But if people making those kinds of decisions were at the top of the chain then the MMO was in dire hands to begin with.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
:rip:

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

rust in piss

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Jimbot posted:

Should have focused on the actual Everquest Next game instead of putting so many resources in that Landmark crap. But if people making those kinds of decisions were at the top of the chain then the MMO was in dire hands to begin with.

Technically, Landmark was suppose to drive Next. I think the problem is, they're finding out is that the engine is poo poo?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

EverQuest doesn't deserve what it has become.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Just got this email. It could have been cool, but they had no clue.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

jabro posted:

EverQuest doesn't deserve what it has become.

Agreed. The EQ franchise is in the total shitter. EQ, EQ2, and Champions of Norrath were all great. This should be a good IP. gently caress what it's become.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

joshtothemaxx posted:

Agreed. The EQ franchise is in the total shitter. EQ, EQ2, and Champions of Norrath were all great. This should be a good IP. gently caress what it's become.

Did Smed take the EQ name with him when he left?

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 6, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The future tales of mismanagement behind the scenes of this will be pretty funny at least.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Good riddance to Landmark, gently caress this game.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

clone on the phone posted:

Did Smed take the EQ name with him when he left?

No, they just stripped the Everquest name out of landmark when Daybreak took over because they were not interested in continuing to throw in more money on this to actually make a workable game out of it.

Ultimately I feel like the whole voxels/create-your-own-world thing was their great undoing. They thought they could cheap out on world building by having their diehard base generate content for the game, but wound up with a game full of giant wooden penises and two games to develop instead of one. Kind of a shame, it could of been something interesting (if not necessarily what one would consider good) if a finished game came out with what they were promising.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
A couple of former EQN devs that left when Columbus Nova took over seem to be taking a lot of inspiration from what they did on the Next project on their new sandbox MMO called Ashes of Creation (based on UE4). Feel free to register using this URL if you're at all interested :^)
http://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/AlexanderDeLarge/?campaign=GoonReferrals

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 6, 2017

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I miss my mage tower facsimile, but that's it. Requiescat in scat.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The first and last thing I built in Landmark during the first playable client:

:rip: in piss

If that looks blurry at all well sorry but that's what max settings looked like.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PF1_Kssab98

The main thing I remember.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

I was so excited when I got that alpha invite, then it turned into a BURLED WOOD COLLECTION SIMULATOR.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
How to try and put a positive spin on the server for a failed game shutting down 101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9dslf-DOGo

I couldn't see anything in writing about it being a paid advertisement / viral PR for Daybreak but I'm pretty sure it still is.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Why would anyone feel the need to pay some nobody with 3k subs?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

DancingShade posted:

How to try and put a positive spin on the server for a failed game shutting down 101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9dslf-DOGo

I couldn't see anything in writing about it being a paid advertisement / viral PR for Daybreak but I'm pretty sure it still is.

Jesus Christ. I can't tell what's worse, shilling without disclosure of the fact that you're getting paid for it or coming out with a video that feels like it went through their PR firm and not getting paid for it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Jesus Christ. I can't tell what's worse, shilling without disclosure of the fact that you're getting paid for it or coming out with a video that feels like it went through their PR firm and not getting paid for it.

Ask about "is this paid sponsorship?"

Response:

"You think so? Let me ask you a question. Are you running AdBlock? Are you clicking on banner ads? Are you sitting through Skip Ads? Are you clicking on Corner Ad's above the suggestion ribbon? Did you know that 90%+ of my subs are PC Savvy users who run AdBlock? Are you aware of the ratio of CMP and RPM? Do you ever wonder why Content Creators run Donation buttons on their banner's?"

It's :effort: to just post a screenshot so you're just getting text. I'm still putting more effort into this than Daybreak puts into their products.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

Kind of a shame, it could of been something interesting (if not necessarily what one would consider good) if a finished game came out with what they were promising.

The actual Everquest Next game design didn't seem like anything except a big "wouldn't this be neat" list of things poorly suited to an MMO. Dynamic ecosystems? Really?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The last species hunted to extinction within 4 weeks of servers opening.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Alexander DeLarge posted:

A couple of former EQN devs that left when Columbus Nova took over seem to be taking a lot of inspiration from what they did on the Next project on their new sandbox MMO called Ashes of Creation (based on UE4). Feel free to register using this URL if you're at all interested :^)
http://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/AlexanderDeLarge/?campaign=GoonReferrals

i never heard of this game but thanks for giving me a heads up to avoid it

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Percelus posted:

i never heard of this game but thanks for giving me a heads up to avoid it

Can't wait until the day comes when a company tries to market themselves as having veteran John Smedley.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Arcland posted:

Can't wait until the day comes when a company tries to market themselves as having veteran John Smedley.

It'll be a crowd funded game. And he'll talk about wanting to make the very best sandbox fantasy mmo ever. And since it is crowd funded, he won't have to listen to publishers. It'll be amazing. If he raises enough, he'll stop promising a date and you pray it comes out 10 years after the start of the crowd funding.

Edit: Oh yeah, first he needs to make some horrible everquest movie that is a complete failure. It'll help give him some street cred when it comes to the crowd funding drive.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Some fun reading for the sake of closure, I guess?

http://eq2wire.com/2017/01/05/closing-the-book-on-everquest-next-and-landmark/

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

This is actually a pro-read right here. Sounds like the game was largely crushed by someone aping Brad McQuaid and 'THE VISION'. In this case it's Dave Georgeson, and it bears all the hallmarks of what McQuaid did with Vanguard and more. It had the company insider cult of personality, the utter crushing of dissenting ideas, the ego of thinking they could turn a content creation tool into a game, bringing in multiple rock-star-like big name programmers with clashing ideals, leading them to ultimately be ineffective, announcing the game way too early with ideas and concepts that only existed on paper and were unsure if they could make it to live, the works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I bet Sony and then DBG were simply never going to pony up enough money to finish EQN unless Landmark was somehow a big success

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 11, 2017

• Locked thread