Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I started building a weird, lovely little cabin just to learn how the construction tools work. They're kind of slow, but they're not too bad. Once I can get the rest of the tools crafted I'll probably be able to do some cool things? But for now, I ran out of wood before I made a roof so my dumb shack has no ceiling. I'll probably tear it all down anyway and build some cool valley ruins or something instead though.

Frog temple's gotta have a frog valley with a forbidden frog ruin, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Frog Tower begins construction. Gonna need a lot of emerald for this.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Important construction note:

The 'Heal' tool doesn't care about the stuff you've built. It will erase anything you've changed, and restore the area selected back to as if nothing had happened at all. I and a few other players had assumed it would leave anything you've added in place and just heal 'around' it, but it does not. If you want to merge your construction into the original geometry of the area you're working in, copy your construction, delete everything and use the heal tool to restore the original geometry, and then paste your construction into the environment wherever appropriate. You can use the positioning tools to place it partially into the ground or whatever it is you're hoping to do.

Also you'll probably gently caress up part of this process so remember ctrl-Z is your friendly undo button.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Frog tower continues.

Need to mess with the moss some and see if I can make it look less blocky. I'm guessing having some of it protruding out might help. Probably need to thicken the walls now though, the one block width was fine before but once I started putting stuff on the walls it's looking less good.

I also need to figure out what I'm going to do with the inside of it, and then gather enough tungsten or emerald (probably tungsten) to cap the top of it off with a giant frog head. Want to do some more interesting things on the outside of it well, probably some smaller pillars to add some detail. Maybe inlay some shiny stuff in those. Thinking about trying to do a big pond mural on the interior with the get out frog depicted as a god-like figure or something. We'll see. And I need to make that entrance more elaborate.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Frog Tower comin' along. Ran out of stone so it's time to go get more.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Frog Tower has had some major work done:

On the inside I've mostly finished the first floor (minus decorative wall stuff) and have some nice staircases heading up to the second floor. Nothing up there other than a big empty room with no walls at the moment.

Redid the door entirely, still not really happy with it. I think the inside of the frame needs some gold trim or something.

Once I get it fully constructed I'm going to go through and wreck it a bit, induce some wear and tear, make it look like some old abandoned ruins.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 9, 2014

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The smooth tool is weird and takes some getting used to. Here's stuff I figured out about it though.

1. It will only smooth surfaces that have space selected around them. If you want a specific face of a shape to stay flat, use the selection tool and make sure the box doesn't give that face any breathing room- if it's right up flush against it, then it won't smooth.

2. It tends to bend things towards the box selected if you're using the tool itself instead of selecting a shape. You can use this to make some slight curved lines. If you want a specific cube face to seem smaller, use it on that one. If you want it to seem larger, use it block by block on the cubes surrounding that one to drag it's shape 'inside' those surrounding ones.

3. Doesn't play well with one-block-thick objects. Try to keep things that you intend to smooth to a 2-3 block thickness minimum, especially pillars or cylinders.

4. Using it multiple times smooths or warps the object further. If you use it once and it's not smooth enough, keep using it. If you do it too much you can always undo it back a few steps.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I haven't been in-game much lately due to a bunch of other stuff(Marvel Heroes, Loadout, and work) taking up my time buuuuut waiting until after the wipe to do more work on Frog Tower seems like it'll probably be the way to go, even if my progress so far has been kind of small.

Any word on new stuff coming with the wipe other than caverns? Glass maybe? Oceans? I know water itself is a ways off, but it would be nice to get the ocean in-game at least.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Haven't messed with this much since early Alpha, worth digging into yet? Seeing that there wasn't a thread made for the Beta transition or PvP I'm a little worried this thing is kind of DOA. I kind of want to chill out, explore, and build stuff and the game was fun to navigate in alpha even if the world was kind of simple.

Is there any big list of stuff added and when I could check out?

Also, have Claims changed? Is there a big cluster of goon claims somewhere to get in on? I know it was a pain in the rear end trying to get that stuff set up originally, and with larger claim sizes available I'm worried it just got worse over time.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

DeathSandwich posted:

The game will not grow until we have some actual information on what we're building all this poo poo for. They really need to be releasing some concrete information on the flow of the actual gameplay and not the NPC behavior bullshit.

I thought the NPC behavior stuff and actual 'gameplay' were all parts of Everquest Next, and Landmark was just 'build stuff'.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

DeathSandwich posted:

The problem with create a dungeon is that 90% of the dungeons that will get made will be unfun "grind x" dungeons that border on exploitation. You'll have to be actively curating what people make to keep the low effort horseshit out of the general population.

I think that's probably the idea in this case, where people build things in Landmark and then the developers can pick and choose what's appropriate for EQN itself, since they're separate things.

That way they can let people have their lovely exploit-filled grindfests in Landmark but the real game doesn't have to deal with it, and they can just pluck whatever player-made content ends up being legitimately good and place it in EQN. Like a pipeline set up to make mods official with relative ease, ala TF2/Dota2 Steam Workshop.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

That sounds pretty hefty. I like building stuff but without enemies or loot to pursue it was a pretty singular experience.

Sounds like it should be a good step towards being a 'full' game.

Any videos or additional info about that stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Abandoning Storybricks means all the "orcs and goblins have lives and motivations and dynamically change their behavior based on etc etc etc" stuff will never exist or be in the game in any form at all. Goodbye interesting features.

• Locked thread