Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

(from the previous thread:)

Cyclomatic posted:

Honestly, they very likely give zero fucks about what the current drop rate of burled wood is. They might say otherwise because they are being polite, but behind close doors they give no fucks. They give no fucks because that is something to fix in beta after the feature lock. The drop rate of wood is not a feature.

They should be caring that people just don't seem to like the act of harvesting wood itself. That says the feature as implemented is not working and needs to be re-implemented. The mechanic whereby you harvest wood is a feature.

Adjusting the drop rate of wood in an alpha is wasted work. If that drop rate is tied to an implementation of a feature that doesn't work and is going to be ripped out and replaced with a new implementation (or possibly dropped altogether, or impacted by another source of wood from a feature that hasn't yet been implemented), you've just wasted all the time spent fiddling with a drop rate that doesn't make any sense with the new implementation.

Things like the building tools being crafted are also not features. The functionality of the building tool itself is the feature. Adjusting how the feature is accessed in a way that the user likes best is a beta issue. Deciding that you do or do not have a set of tools that does everything you want for building is an alpha decision. If the smoother doesn't smooth right or is inherently difficult to use, you can't lock the feature because you are not done building it. If the smoother shouldn't be crafted, it moves a bit too fast in response to mouse movements, it is the wrong color, and one of the movement axis are flipped, but everyone agrees that it smooths things as smooth as anyone would ever want a thing smoothed: lock it and sort it out in beta.

I totally agree that drop rates and such shouldn't be fine-tuned in an alpha, especially when more features are expected to go in that will change how the game is played. However, what can (and should) be done is a broad-stroke adjustment: if the general complaint is that it takes way too long to gather wood, crank up the gather rate until enough people stop complaining, then go back to implementing features.

What is particularly concerning to me is that I haven't heard any assurance from the devs that they're listening to our feedback and are planning on making changes. They're describing an "open" development process, but haven't actually given us a whole lot of information! Personally, I am very much repelled by the boring resource gathering grind, the stereotypical MMO progression of gathering tools (craft a copper pick so that you can gather materials to craft a bronze pick? really?), the hiding of the building user interface behind a tech tree, and the heavy use of RNG in the crafting system. I'm really hoping that these are all placeholder mechanics slapped on top of the claim and building systems in order to keep people playing by sticking them on a treadmill.

I've written up my thoughts (at length) on the alpha forums, as have other people with similar opinions, but there hasn't yet been a comment from an actual developer addressing (or even acknowledging) my concerns. I want some indication that I am not wasting my time (and money) helping alpha-test a game that I will ultimately be disappointed with.

e: On a reread, this post sounds pretty entitled, but I'm leaving it as-is because it's my honest opinion at the moment.

blastron fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Al Borland posted:

It definitely has that grind feel I didn't expect at first.I just wanted straight up building. It would be nice if they created a two type style of play where it was just creative mode for those who wanted it on a creative mode server. And explorer's mode for the rest.

Well heck maybe even cross em. Just make the materials bound to each type of server.

I actually don't mind having to expend effort to get materials! I am perfectly okay with being stuck building lovely mud huts for the first few days of gameplay, as long as the journey to get to the point where I can build awesome castles is actually fun. Holding down the left mouse button to chop trees or mine metals isn't fun. Crafting an axe, but having to scrap it because you didn't get lucky and it's not the perfect axe isn't fun. Spending hours laying out a wall brick by brick when you could have done it in seconds with a tool you don't start with isn't fun.

I do not understand the mentality that it is okay for MMOs to use boring gameplay as a gating mechanism for the cool stuff.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I must have missed that, thanks for pointing it out.

e:

Niedar posted:

If you are complaining that the Devs are not addressing feedback of gameplay mechanics while they are running around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to just get the server and client into a state that is usable then I dunno, I think the problem is with you and not them.

No, right, I get that, it's why I realized my post sounded really entitled right after I made it. I'm mostly just upset with myself for dropping a hundred bucks on something that I'm very disappointed with.

blastron fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 5, 2014

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Bob Log posted:

So in being able to control your environment and self/surroundings/create automated self-reliant things; How does this compare to the Second Life sandbox w/Item scripting? (Scale 1-10?) I'm gathering this is more akin to minecraft in that you can only interact pre-built game elements with pre-built game elements in a predetermined manner to get a predetermined outcome?

So far there is no scripting or automation at all, but it might be added in the future.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Just opened my customer support ticket to get a refund. While the core building mechanics are really good, the resource grind required in order to actually build anything (or even get to the cool building tools) is a massive turn-off. The roadmap looks interesting, but all of the stuff that might make the game fun for me to play is so far down the road that the game will probably be in open beta (or even released) before I find it enjoyable to play. This, coupled with the fact that it seems like the non-cosmetic perks (the vault access, the crafting/harvesting buffs) are or will be craftable in-game, makes it not seem worth it to hold on to the Trailblazer pack.

Have fun, guys! I'll probably be back closer to release.

e: VVV No, because directors usually don't offer a money-back guarantee. I'm sorry for not liking a video game you like. :rolleyes:

blastron fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 15, 2014

• Locked thread