Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I was considering buying into this next time it hits a steam sale. Are the extras you get from the more expensive packs worth a poo poo or is it mostly just bullshit cosmetics? Is the combat that is in mostly just PVP or is there regular poo poo to fight now?

Worse comes to worse, I don't mind tossing SOE $20 to see what this is about and upgrade on steam sale later.

In my mind's eye, if I bought into this, my effort would be going towards trying to recreate Plane of Mischief from EQ1 because that was such a odd and fun little zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

itsnice2bnice posted:

I doubt it means much for Landmark or Next, they can't afford to scrap the reboot of their flagship IP.

Omeed's job was to create buzz for the brand and there's currently not much hype surrounding either game. Although I'd say that's more due to the state of Landmark rather than its marketing.

But his community-first marketing approach was about focusing on Twitch and Twitter for publicity. Considering the fact that there's currently 61 people viewing Landmark on Twitch versus Minecraft's 4892 I can see why he got poo poo from his superiors.

I feel like they blew their pre-release hype wad wayyy too early. They had this get hype rush about a year ago and nothing has really happened since. They really need to have brought more to the table by now if they wanted to keep the hype for the game up.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

SymfonyMan posted:

I haven't watched the entire video, but I do like the NPC talk. Essentially it sounds like an advanced form of Radiant AI. But didn't The Elder Scrolls developers say that was too hard to do for an MMO? Pffft, I scoff at them.

It sounds like a system where you can add a bunch of variables that will affect behavior; it's sounding like a Sims meets Radiant AI system. I hope they pull it off because on paper (video) it sounds very interesting like they've been reading our How to Improve MMOs thread. One of my biggest complaints about MMOs now is that every NPC is static. I like how they've worked around that now.

It's about time!

E: I know some people are upset that they announced this so early, but every time they do share some new ideas and tech I seem to be impressed.

/looks at ticket prices for the hype train

e2: The map system is like Planetside's where you or NPCs can gain control over areas and spread your influence in on going dynamic war/resource system. Some of the ideas here are out there for a fantasy MMO.

I wonder how they will handle the war between factions on PVE servers if both sides are calling for player help. Maybe some system where you need to do x but if you're flagged for PVP everything you do counts double since you're now a strategic target for other players on the enemy side.

I also wonder how things reset in the Bloody Kithicor example they used. The logic in the event seems to go like this:

-Dark Elves want to despoil Kithicor of it's nature magic to fuel their own.

-After X amount of despoiling "Whoops, we awakened ancient undead horrors that are now rising up against us, better team up with the dudes we've been despoiling to push them back"

-After the ancient horrors from the cursed land get defeated and their base razed: "Let's continue despoiling the forest for it's ancient nature magic, this horror we just fought off couldn't possibly happen again."

It seems kind of weird that a group would continue to do their dastardly deeds after facing down their hubris and tentatively making peace with their original enemy.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

biznatchio posted:

The engine supports non-voxel content in the world as well. Just look at the trees and nexus in Landmark, they're not voxel-based. I imagine most of EQNext's architecture is going to be "mostly voxel, with non-voxel accents for detail", or even just entirely pre-fabbed models for things like orc tents and whatnot.

Nah, destructable orc tents made possible with the magic of voxels or bust. I want to be able to fight an orc in one of those tents and have nothing left of the orc and the tent by the end of the fight but a smoking crater.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Sancho posted:

Game will not grow until they simplify the "voxelmancer" bullshit & not require new players to study a loving youtube course to make an arch.

The game will not grow until we have some actual information on what we're building all this poo poo for. They really need to be releasing some concrete information on the flow of the actual gameplay and not the NPC behavior bullshit.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Freakazoid_ posted:

I like this idea, even though it didn't really help City of Heroes/Villains or Neverwinter Online.

This game needs a graphic overhaul, too.

The problem with create a dungeon is that 90% of the dungeons that will get made will be unfun "grind x" dungeons that border on exploitation. You'll have to be actively curating what people make to keep the low effort horseshit out of the general population.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

RCarr posted:

There isn't an EQ Next thread is there? Has there been any news recently? What year are we looking at in terms of release expectations?

I think the dedicated EQ Next thread has fallen into archives, so this is it. Word on the actual game proper is still basically nil aside from "Sometime next year". I really wanted to be excited for it, but the big talking they did when it was first announced followed by next to nothing substantial on how it actually plays for the next year and a half has led me to believe that this is going to suffer from Peter Molyneux syndrome and completely fail to live up to it's initial hype machine.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

pixaal posted:

Sony seems big on the hype early hype train recently. It just fizzles out if the alpha / beta are too long unless the alpha / beta are about balance (see recent Blizzard games where they basically have people streaming for 6 months with low access for the public). If there isn't content that is solid you end up killing the hype train, if you gate everything behind NDAs and limited access and the content isn't solid you end up with... whatever the hell this is.

Even if Landmark ends up as a better minecraft it's not going to reach the popularity it should because of the lack of direction and lack of being well a game before alpha started. It's like they made the public Alpha what an internal Alpha should be, which isn't a good idea most of the time.

Or they thought they could get the minecraft lightning to strike twice (it doesn't), I mean, it worked for Notch, right?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

itsnice2bnice posted:

There's going to be a content patch on Dec 15th.

It's supposed to add mobs, armor, weapons, better caves and a bunch of other stuff like cheevos.

So that might be worth checking out I guess?

Calling it now: Landmark is just going to turn into EQNext over time instead of them being two separate entities.

Isn't Next proper suppose to be going beta next spring? And we still have no clue how the thing is going to play at all from a player perspective? If I had to guess that means they are still not confident in their gameplay or that it's still in design committee and not finalized. Either way, I'm not sure that speaks well for a mmo that is ostensibly supposed to be playable in the next half year.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Cross-posting from the Planetside 2 thread:

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/sony-online-entertainment-becomes-daybreak-game-company.213868/#post-3094759

So it looks like Sony Online Entertainment is being bought out and spun off into a new company. Wonder what this means for EQNext if it means they need to start having a more aggressive release schedule. As is, Planetside 2 is their only "Modern" asset and I assume that combined with legacy subs of EQ1 and 2 won't be enough to please their future shareholders. They are going to want EQ Next out the door and making money as soon as possible.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Smedley was basically the favored child after McQuaid left the EQ team right? I'm honestly surprised how long he lived in his position of power considering all the MAJOR MAJOR missteps he's had under his watch. Hell, I'm still honestly surprised he got to keep his job after the cataclysmic fuckup that was the EQ2 vanilla launch.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

I said come in! posted:

Honestly it's fine, Everquest 1 & 2 are still really good MMOs. There's no need to make a 3rd Everquest to be honest.

I mean, there's quite a number of things I liked about vintage EQ1. (The community/worldbuilding, the sense of danger and exploration, novel and unique ways to differentiate the classes) but there was a whole loving bunch of awful terrible poo poo (corpse runs, absolutely brutal difficulty curve, pure melee classes were boring as poo poo, hard to navigate before in-game maps or third party tools) that came along with the ride. The unfortunate truth is that a lot of the stuff that made classic EQ1 fantastic was hopelessly married to the stuff that made it unbearable. The community was so strong as a direct result of the brutal punishing difficulty forcing people to cooperate to survive the leveling game. EQ1 was the only MMO game I've played where I had significant social interactions with people outside of my guild for any amount of time. Guilds (or at least, the ones that weren't competing for endgame mobs) communicated to each other and would exchange information on the horrible rear end in a top hat players, meaning individual player reputation mattered because if you were a horrible person you can and would get blackballed from guilds and groups. It was hard to hide from this because name changes were at the time public information and the horrible lovely leveling curve guaranteed that you couldn't just reroll your problems away.

Trying to recapture that Vintage EQ1 nostalgia is a noble goal, but also a sadomasochistic one as well due to how knowingly punishing you'd have to make the game to capture that magic in a bottle again.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

joshtothemaxx posted:

Wasn't it just because NCSoft shut down Paragon Studios? And with Paragon shutting down, so too did the CoX servers? I remember NCSoft claimed to be losing money at the time, primarily due to Aion's under-performance and the expensive production costs for Guild Wars 2. Going back and reading some news, it looks like most fans believed NCSoft's logic was that CoX players would shift over to Aion or GW2. Also, some speculated that CoX was cut because it was an acquired game from an American studio and NCSoft is a Korean company. Over time, CoX just didn't fit their aesthetic, so it got axed.

I want to play Everquest III damnit.

IIRC the CoX servers were repurposed for Wildstar. Because that went so well for them.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
They announced the game about 2 years too early, full stop. In hindsight, I think EQ next had to have been in development for way longer than any of us could imagine. SoE higher ups and Sony proper probably started forcing them to release what they had (namely Landmark) as a way to bring in some money to justify the development time and the whole venture backfired on them.

I really want someone to write the tell all about how hosed development of this game was, Game Change style.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Except now instead of there being like 3-4 other :airquote:Major:airquote: MMOs on the market like when WoW launched, there's like 2 dozen with significant US/EU players.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

biznatchio posted:

Yeah, someone (I think it was Raph?) blew the lid on LucasArts being the driving force behind the NGE years ago.

IIRC quite a few people speculated on it when NGE came out back in the day before there was any confirmation too.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ZombieLenin posted:

Specifically, this is what I remember from the story told around SOE:

LucasArts made the decision that they wanted to see gameplay changes based on a number of things. First and foremost was marketing research that was done relating the new movies to video games generally--questions about what type of games best fit Star Wars, etc.--and marketing research related to the DVD release of episodes I, II and III.

The economic issues were secondary, but still there. They did want a greater market share, but nobody realistically thought that they were going to turn an already released title into something with a subscriber base like WoW.

When LucasArts came to SOE asking for these changes--again second hand "inside" information--there was an internal meeting between the SWG design team in Austin and the company command in San Diego. During the meeting it was decided that SOE would tell LucasArts that they did not want to make all the NGE changes, and offered an alternative that including making Jedi a profession with simplified and clear steps to unlock, and making more twitch changes to things related to Jump to Lightspeed and Rage of the Wookies.

LucasArts did not receive this counter offer well and their initial "request" for changes became a demand for changes. They added to this demand a threat to pull SOE's license for SWG, since SOE's license was set to expire at the end of 2004.

So SOE did what they were told, and lots of people hated the NGE (though subs did increase slightly at the beginning); however, the community who (rightly) were upset about the NGE was very vocal and SOE could do nothing to defend themselves, other than try to toe their contractual line.

"The NGE is a vast improvement! We swear!"

*Unfortunately for SOE, this combined with a number of previous fiascoes (does anyone remember the EQ2 launch?) irreparably SOEs reputation. It was that reputation that, more or less, impacted people's impressions of SOE and their games--even good ones like Planetside and Planetside II--and helped to kill the company's profitability.

So much so that Sony Music was happy to unload it in 2015.

*Edit

I am not being fair here. SOE did make a lot of bad business decisions and made some shittier games (especially for consoles) in the period after this, which just added to the general MMO community impression that the NGE helped create.

SOE also ended up coming off as arrogant assholes because they had to defend the NGE and there was nothing they could do to address the SWG communities concerns. In the end I think this colored their future interactions with future communities. It's almost like once the reputation was in place, they totally gave up on doing anything to try and fix it as it seemed like an impossible task.

That's my impression as someone who worked there for part of it.

In an episode of the Giant Bombcast, they had Dave Lang of Iron Galaxy on specifically talking about this liscenser/licensee relationship in a very stark and honest way that amounts to 'don't throw your business partner under the bus' I would love to know the minutae that happened in a lot of these scenarios (see also: what the gently caress were people thinking WRT Wildstar) but we're probably not going to hear anything specific from the people high up in the food chain on these things.

And yeah, people forget how much of an unmitigated dumpster fire EQ2 was at launch. At level 1 character creation you only had access to 5 character classes - Fighter, Priest, Mage, Scout, and Artisan, and you didn't actually pick your final class until level 20. Newbie areas were horrible, combat was in the same vein as EQ1 insofar as you needed a group to do most of the content. The graphics engine is still hosed to a degree to this day because they developed the game engine using a 2001-2002 mindset that multi-core processors were a novelty and designed the game to run ideally on something silly like a single core intel processor running at 6GHz and made the game almost entirely CPU bound rather than offset calculations on the GPU. I'm really shocked that they could even rally to be passably decent. Between that and the development and money pit that was EQ-next, I'm shocked they didn't get spun out and sold a long time ago.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

darkhand posted:

A lot of details and deepness turn into trash after a lot of expansions though. Everquest stats started to do literally nothing. So what did they do? They made new stats on top of the old stats called Heroic strength, heroic dex, heroic stamina, etc. And now THOSE stats hardly do anything. Heroic charisma is 100% useless, 25 heroic strength gives +1 bonus dmg: PLUS 1 on your hits that are doing like 10,000 at end game (the only time you ever care about stats). You might have around 500 heroic strength, so you get +20 bonus dmg. All this faux deepness just boils down into making +Hp, AC and +Mana the best stats.

Deepness is cool for sure, but if devs don't have the bankroll to actually keep tuning them it turns to trash apparently. WoW is pretty ontop of squashing item stats every expansion so they don't end up with stuff that's like +1000000 spirit. It flattens the game and makes everything kinda samey, but at least it's tuned, and that keep people playing.

The everquest stuff is just a holdover because stats were deeply hosed since the game's onset. This is partially to do with the fact they never fronted the calculations that str/dex/agi actually made in combat and when they finally did, it turned out that raw stats made a mostly minuscule difference. By the time Velious came around, everyone was flirting with stat hardcaps of 255, not just ogre warriors. The only stats before then really worth capping were stamina (for everyone) and Wis/Int (for priests/wizards respectively, not because it added damage, but because of the extra mana pool). Hell, the concept of gear that makes wizard and priest spells hit harder and work better wasn't actually a thing they implemented until 4 or 5 expansions in, up until that point your spells and your mana pool alone determined your DPS.

Hell, everquest 2's stats were deeply hosed to the point where after Kunark the developers just said 'gently caress it' and made only 2 stats matter per class. That being Stamina and your archetype stat (str for fighters, wis for priests, ect) because gearing crusaders/inquisitors/druids/basically any class that dipped in multiple venues of melee/casting/healing was becoming a hellish slog that meant you either were a little lovely at everything, or you were good at one specific thing and very poo poo at everything else.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ZombieLenin posted:

DeathSandwich does a good job of pointing out some of the problems with the EQ2 launch. I will add just two thoughts.

I actually worked on EQ2 for a short time in the summer of 2007 and got to know some people on the initial launch team pretty well. They made no bones about blaming WoWs ascendancy on the fact that the EQ2 team was forced to cut corners to beat WoW to the market, because someone's business analysis suggested SOE would end up retaining the majority of the MMO market share by doing so.

This was combined with a sort of dismissive attitude towards Blizzard because, of course, "any decision SOE makes is going to be better, just look at how many people play EQ." So they went with the same MMO formula that had worked so well (as DeathSandwhich points out) in 1999.

My other thought reflects what has been beaten to death over the last 13 years. SOE made the decision to develop an engine--a not so good one at that--which required computers with far better hardware than the many EQ players owned. This meant most EQ players would have to have spent two grand (in 2004) on a new computer to even run the EQ2 client. Most EQ players were not in a position to do this, and the ones that were, often as not, did exactly what Deathsandwhich said... they stuck with a game that had 5 years of content.

Then of course WoW launched two weeks later. Blizzard had ingeniously modernized MMO game play, which from a design perspective was a lot better than anything SOE was offerring, AND Blizzard's conscious choice to use stylized art in WoW meant that all those people currently playing EQ who wanted to try something new, but whose computers couldn't run EQ2, could play WoW.

Mix all that poo poo together and SOE executives (including Smed) were left scratching their collective heads for 3 years wondering how Blizzard could have possibly beat SOE in the MMO market; Of course "why" this had happened was painfully obvious to anyone with just a bit of reflection.

Yeah, it's important to note that EQ2 and WoW came out roughly at the same time, and Blizzard had the foresight to release a game with such easy system requirements to hit you could throw a dead squirrel in a shoebox and make it run WoW passably stable. EQ2s game engine was poorly optimized and their target PC specs were so ludicrously high that people with brand new computers at that time still couldn't play the game at stable framerates. Hell. My computer built in 2012 still chugs on EQ2 in cities and any time shadows are turned on. To say the game was poorly coded is kind of a gross understatement.

It's things like the above though that make me wonder what people like Smedly and Brad McQuaid's capability for self-reflection is like. They both come across as victims of their ego and hubris and it would be interesting to think about how they view themselves in the context of their roles in these games.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Relayer posted:

Lol yeah.. going down there for the first time when everything was orange con and we needed like 30 people to make it to Nagafen running along those ruby bridges was so epic though. It is by far one of my best and nerdiest memories from any game.

Say what you will about the rest of EQ1's open, flat, boxy overworld maps. That game had some fuckin' dungeon crawls like whoa. Places like Najena, Sol A/B, Upper/Lower guk, Karnor's Castle, Kurn's Tower, Crystal Caverns, and Dragon Necropolis among others really gave the sense of sprawl and atmosphere that you don't really get from instanced EQ2/WoW/Ect's 'strict linear dungeons with 3 bosses that can be hammered out in 30 minutes'.

Hell, my favorite WoW dungeon back in the day was Blackrock Depths specifically because it was a very Everquest-1-like crawl through a sprawling non-linear metropolis with something like 2 dozen unique bosses depending on which paths you took through the place. Everyone else hated it because a full clear could take upwards of 2-3 hours for appropriately geared people, but I loving loved it because it was such an experience.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

jabro posted:

This is the kind of stuff I would love to hear about. All the funny anecdotes from things Sony or Origin didn't anticipate with EQ and UO because they were in unchartered territory while developing and maintaining the first mass market MMOs.

Back in Asheron's Call 1, there was a bug called the Wi Flag that caused monsters to disproportionately target certain people over others. This was due to how the game rolls initial threat on mob spawn and is tied to a hash of you name, when you created the character, and certain other factors. The thing was in the game for years and people couldn't figure out why it was happening, at first the GMs just thought it was player pranks and jokingly named the bug after one of the first complainers.

http://asheron.wikia.com/wiki/Wi_Flag

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Freakazoid_ posted:

I like that a useless game's thread has been hijacked into a nostalgic MMO secrets thread, the best kind of hijack.

EQ's transport ships were actually considered a type of NPC, the ship's ballast was a weapon it was holding. A monk had a very small chance at disarming the ship, causing the ship to travel very fast.

To go along with this, druids and shamans use to be able to cast a run speed buff on the boat to make it go absurdly fast too. In some cases, this would break scripting with regards to the boat zoning and drop people into the water at the far end of Oceans of Tears.

In North Temple of Veeshan, a raid zone in EQ1's Velious expansion, there was a particular event a couple of bosses in where the entire raid force is suppose to get trapped in a ring a precarious bridge and fight waves of enemies. Back in the day, rather than teleport people or create hard boundaries for players to operate in, when someone triggered the event it just deathtouched everyone in the zone who wasn't in the ring. During my guild's first foray into NToV our puller didn't know about it and when we got to the point in the event, he accidentally hailed the NPC that starts the event, which immediately triggered it and deathtouched the entire raid that was some distance away.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

clone on the phone posted:

Did Smed take the EQ name with him when he left?

No, they just stripped the Everquest name out of landmark when Daybreak took over because they were not interested in continuing to throw in more money on this to actually make a workable game out of it.

Ultimately I feel like the whole voxels/create-your-own-world thing was their great undoing. They thought they could cheap out on world building by having their diehard base generate content for the game, but wound up with a game full of giant wooden penises and two games to develop instead of one. Kind of a shame, it could of been something interesting (if not necessarily what one would consider good) if a finished game came out with what they were promising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

This is actually a pro-read right here. Sounds like the game was largely crushed by someone aping Brad McQuaid and 'THE VISION'. In this case it's Dave Georgeson, and it bears all the hallmarks of what McQuaid did with Vanguard and more. It had the company insider cult of personality, the utter crushing of dissenting ideas, the ego of thinking they could turn a content creation tool into a game, bringing in multiple rock-star-like big name programmers with clashing ideals, leading them to ultimately be ineffective, announcing the game way too early with ideas and concepts that only existed on paper and were unsure if they could make it to live, the works.

• Locked thread