Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Access to the Alpha actually starts at $60~

I never pre-order games and usually only buy them during Steam sales, but I'm okay with throwing SOE $60 to show there's interest for a competently done Minecraft clone.

Also, they should just drastically cut the buffer zone around claims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Zaq posted:

I just made an "inferior silversteel pick" does it actually matter in terms of digging stuff up? It seems to be working on tungsten just fine, and marble.

I think 'inferior' tools are just slower and do less damage. You can mouse over them in your inventory to check the stats. Their quality doesn't affect what resources you can use them on AFAIK.

But the RNG involved with crafting items isn't very fun IMO, especially when the tools start to cost a boatload of resources to craft.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

I think you need the Tin Trimmed Work Bench to get Worked Marble from it first.

If or when there's a character wipe I'll write this stuff down since it's a little confusing at times.

Currently I'm stuck collecting Burled Wood. :(

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Prophecy120 posted:

Has anyone been able to build angled or diagonal cross-supports such as the ones in the OP screenshot of the mech? I don't have the line tool yet, so everything I'm allowed to build has only been able to be 90 degree angles.

You can make 45 degree slopes without the line tool.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

joshtothemaxx posted:

I would love to make a claim on these beautiful somewhat empty zones, but my claim flag is gone. God drat.

Yeah, it sucks. I had the same problem.

You're supposed to look for the place where you made your very first claim by hopping servers and looking around. If you're handy with messing with files this might help: https://forums.station.sony.com/eqnlandmark/index.php?threads/lost-or-missing-claims-flags.312/page-24#post-175325

I just got really frustrated and deleted my character, which isn't a very good idea either since you don't get stuff like the founder's axe back. Maybe wait a day or something, IDK.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

WARDUKE posted:

How do you create templates?

Make a selection box around your stuff with the Selection Tool. Then mouse over the banner / flag thingy on the upper left side of your screen, when it extends it shows Materials, Shapes and Templates. Pick the house icon at the bottom and choose 'Create New' to make a template.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Kortel posted:

Is there an announced day for Beta?

Probably March 31 for closed Beta since that's the date the site mentions as a delivery date for the purchasable pack that guarantees access to the closed Beta.

LegionAreI posted:

This is actually pretty fun once you get the hang of the tools. I'm terrible at 3D placement if it's not like Minecraft. :( I'm Kyomu in game and have a claim in the northeastern desert on a mountain in Serenity-Draw.

I'm also jealous of everyone's building skills. :v:

Press G to get cubes and stuff to stick to a grid. If you use the 3x3 cube shape it's pretty close to the size of Minecraft's blocks and how you place them.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

En Fuego posted:

I was going to give you poo poo about doing research on the recommended specs, and I couldn't find it.

Anyone know if they have posted these yet for people? I just a spent a ton of cash on a new rig (not related to this), so I had no issues with just getting the game right away and knowing I would be cool, but I know there are more people in Obscurity's boat...

Minimum System Requirements:

OS – Windows 7 64 bit
Processor – Intel i5 Quad Core or higher / AMD Phenom II X4 or higher
Memory – 4GB RAM
Hard Drive – 20GB Free
Video Memory – 1,024 MB RAM
Video Card – nVidia GeForce GTX 275 series or higher / AMD HD 4890 or higher
Sound Card – DirectX compatible
Internet – Broadband (3Mbit/sec or higher)

Recommended System Requirements:

OS – Windows 7 64 bit
Processor – Intel i5 Quad Core or higher / AMD Phenom II X6 or higher
Memory – 8GB RAM
Hard Drive – 20GB Free
Video Memory – 1,024 MB RAM
Video Card – nVidia GeForce GTX 560 series or higher / AMD HD 6870 or higher
Sound Card – DirectX compatible
Internet – Broadband (10Mbit/sec or higher)

https://www.eqnlandmark.com/news/eqn-landmark-alpha-system-requirements-january-23-2014-eql

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

I've had it happen a couple of times as well.

It's a bug where you paste something and half of it is invisible for no apparent reason. Relogging like you did works and sometimes it fixes itself if you wait a couple of seconds.

You can also place a voxel near the invisible part with the Add Tool and CTRL Z the voxel away after that. I guess it has to do with the voxels not properly updating in a particular area or something.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Noah posted:

Is there anyway to terraform your plot in regards to adding trees, water, or grass?

You can duplicate things like trees, plants and rocks that are already on your plot. Just right click on them and choose the duplicate option. You can't add naturally occuring props any other way, so you're out of luck if there weren't already some on your plot to begin with.

The textures for things like grass, dirt and natural stone were recently added as textures under the dirt option. You can use the paint or fill tool to retexture the ground in your plot. You can also hold down Alt to change your cursor into a material picker.

Water isn't currently implemented and won't be for a while. Some people use one of the blue minerals to imitate the look of water however.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

CupBoy posted:

Just because it isn't new doesn't mean it isn't lovely and horrible. What does it say about mechanics of the game if they want people to pay money to skip it?

Is says that some people value their time more than their money. It doesn't necessarily mean that whatever you can pay money for to speed along is awful. Is levelling in Guild Wars 2 a terrible grind because they sell experience boosters that allow you to level faster? Not really.

Although I agree that gathering resources is a boring grind ATM, but it will probably be a lot more fun when the flat tiered islands are gone and they've implemented combat and enviromental dangers. They're also changing the progression system for tools and items to depend less heavily on resource grinding as well.

Although I'm a little cautious about whatever their pricing will be since the items in the Trailblazer and Explorer pack don't seem to be worth the money IMO.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

There's also item progression in the sense that there are tiered crafting stations that unlock different craftable items as you go along, which includes various building tools.

I don't think they're planning on having linear character progression / levelling in Landmark either. For EQNext they talked about focusing on horizontal progression, where you can collect or unlock more abilities or skills as you play the game. But that's all speculation since there's currently no combat whatsoever in Landmark.

The 1st part of Landmark is primarily about collecting resources and crafting tools + crafting stations. After that it's 99% just building stuff. You can also get a refund without any questions being asked if it's not your cup of tea.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Yeah, I'd say wait until the end of the month as well. There's going to be a wipe and hopefully a content update with a revamped world at that point. It's always possible to upgrade later if you want the vanity items from one of the more expensive packs.

Geop posted:

What's a rough prognosis of the game so far? I see mention of resource grinding, and I'm honestly kind of okay with this. Y'know, voxel games being time-sinks by nature :v: Also, a quote a few pages back stood out to me. So, is there a skill/RPG-system behind this (versus Minecraft, where you just need supplies)? I saw mention of activity completion/achievements affecting item progression. Is this sort of thing implemented, or is it more of a down-the-road concept?

Achievement grinding is, uh, oddly therapeutic to me, hence the curiosity.

You don't need to level up something like a mining or woodcutting skill before you can collect certain materials, it's all dependent on where you are in terms of item progression. There aren't any traditional RPG elements like skills or attribute points and I'm not sure there will ever be. SOE considers achievements the equivalent of quests in Landmark and wants to tie them into character and item progression.

There's a roadmap for the stuff they've planned:
https://forums.station.sony.com/eqnlandmark/index.php?threads/eqnl-roadmap.18810/

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

What a Judas posted:

Have they made it so you can get the same resources on the same island yet, or is that still coming?

This is just speculation, but I think they'll keep the tiered islands until the open beta starts. The end goal is to have resources spawn at different depths with higher tiered resources found in deeper caverns, but the roadmap says that caves aren't ready for the closed beta yet.

I'm assuming they can't just add caves to a world when the map is already generated. If that's the case then I'd guess the most convenient time to introduce worlds with caves would be during the wipe between closed and open beta.

Or maybe they'll just add new islands when they've got the cavern algorithm for world creation working, since they added new islands for the new biomes as well.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

tehsid posted:

Any chance somebody has a key I could pinch? That'd be awesome.

Harettazetta posted:

Any more keys floating about? I'm curious to see if my hitching problems resolve in Beta.

I don't have platinum, but if you guys post your email address I can email you a beta key.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

nelson posted:

It was a bit of a grind but I did get a copper pick yesterday. Some grind is okay as long as it's just for bootstrapping something non-grindy. But when you do nothing but click to "level up" and the only difference once you "level up" is the color of the thing you're clicking on, I do not like that. That's lazy game design.

That being said I assume that just applies to resource gathering in this game and I'm still interested in seeing what others have made.

Yeah, I think SOE should have waited with going into Beta until they had more interesting worlds with caves and tunnels to explore and mobs to fight. Here's some tips to help enjoy the game as it is for people who haven't played before:

1. Craft a Keen-Eye Band as soon as possible, it's an accessory you can make at the sawmill thingy at the spire. Equipping this gives you a bonus to your discovery stat which will help you get additional rare elemental forms of ore. Elemental ores are random drops you get from mining ore and they're required for crafting tools, items and crafting stations.

2. Certain types of ore are found at the end of another ore's veins. Tin can be found at the end of a copper vein. Silver at the end of an iron vein. Gold at the end of a tungsten vein. Rubicite at the end of a cobalt vein. Resources are divided into different tiers and each world / island corresponds to a different tier. I think everyone always starts on a tier 1 island. If you need silver or iron and can't find some you'll have to move to a higher tier island by using the portal.

3. Craft a claim flag and plop it down somewhere. :siren: You don't need to make all the crafting stations yourself, in fact I'd recommend to save yourself the time and effort and just use the high tier crafting stations that someone else grinded to get. :siren: Having said that, if you really can't find someone else who made an outfitter's station you should make one yourself since it allows you to create some additional accessoires to further increase your discovery stat.

4. Building stuff is 99% of the fun that's currently to be had in Landmark. There are some basic shapes you can use to build stuff with here:

The Selection tool is pretty much a requirement to build stuff, but the Line and Smooth tool not so much IMO. Just switch between gathering resources for a bit and building stuff until you have enough stuff to unlock the Line and Smooth tool.

itsnice2bnice fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 27, 2014

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

tehsid posted:

Awesome. Thank you if its still on offer.

No problem, I've sent you a mail with a key.

Harettazetta I still have a key with your name on it you want one.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is it worth it to keep making keen eye bands until you get blue or higher?

I don't remember what the stat range for a green Keen-Eye Band is, but I have a blue one with 1.5 Discovery on it. My green Assessor's Marks (craftable at an Outfitter's Table) have 3.3 and 3.6 Discovery on them in comparison.

I'd just craft 2 Keen-Eye Bands and use whatever you get, AFAIK there's no penalty on using 2 items with the same stat bonus, so just double up on whatever you need most. You can go pretty fast if you double up on speed boost items and it only takes a couple of seconds to put on your Discovery stat items when you've found what you wanted to mine / harvest.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Kortel posted:

Does in spawn somewhere specific? I'm finding a metric ton of Iron and Copper but no tin. I would really like to upgrade my axe.

You can find tin at the very end of a copper vein. Same thing happens with silver which you can find at the end of an iron vein, gold at the end of a tungsten vein and rubicite at the end of a cobalt vein.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Sorry for the lovely MSPaint but the problem is that your cylinders are too similar in size:

Placing two voxels that are smoothed next to each other will make them want to interact, that's what the distortions are. If there's a plain non smoothed voxel in between them, then both of the cylindrical shapes will stay intact. Making the widest cylinder 2 or 4 voxels wider in diameter should work.

itsnice2bnice fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 31, 2014

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

The NPC AI and quest scripting stuff is going to be based on something called Storybricks. The dudes behind Storybricks had a Kickstarter which failed but attracted the interest of a couple of game studios like SOE. I guess this is supposed to be the general idea of what they want to do in Landmark / EQNext:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3b_3UGc7Es

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Eltoasto posted:

What's the best way to get the tallest claim? Does it center the claim where you are standing? I may have elaborate tower plans.

It centers on your character initially, but you can move it up and down a bit with the scroll wheel.

But the problem with expanding a claim into the air is that additional claims have to be attached onto your main claim and can't be attached to each other. So you can't just stack two additional claims on top of each other, and if you've put your main claim on the ground then the added bottom one just would go underground.

Since you can place blocks in unclaimed areas maybe try making a dirt nerdpole into mid-air and then planting your main claim on top of that. That way the additional bottom claim would be above ground and you can still add an additional claim on top of your main claim as well.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

I'll have to check in game to be sure, but I wasn't able to add an additional claim onto an added claim (horizontally) in Alpha.

Edit: Just checked, the interface makes it look like you should be able to add an additional claim onto the far side of another additional claim that's connected horizontally to your main claim, so you'd have 3 claims in a horizontal line with the main claim on the end. But when I click to confirm it bugs out and turns into an L shape instead.

WRT to placing them vertically the interface just doesn't allow you to place an additional claim on top of an already added claim that's located above the main claim. So AFAIK in both cases it seems that the main claim has to be in the center if you want to have 3 claims in a row.

itsnice2bnice fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Apr 7, 2014

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Tom Guycot posted:

Were you standing in the next claim up when you tried to place the 3rd one? Whatever claim you're standing in when you go to place another it gives you the 6 sided option from that ones position.

Oops, guess I'm really dumb because that explains the problems I had with placing additional claims.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Are any of you guys entering the building contest? I think I'll pass on submitting my own eyesore, but skimming through the rules it says that up to 200 people will be able to win, seems like there's a good chance to make your stuff a permanent part of the game.

itsnice2bnice fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 18, 2014

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

I'm really bad with decorating rooms and just left my house from alpha completely empty.

Your little tavern area downstairs looked pretty sweet though. A while back some people on the official forums posted pictures of some really cool cages and torture racks and stuff that they built out of microvoxels for the dungeons under their castles.

It would also be cool if SOE added props like armor stands, wall banners and other castley things.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

I've found the best contest entry, 'great lunch' by Nequam is a piece of art that deserves to be immortalized. Please vote accordingly.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Yeah, I personally don't mind not having Landmark as an official Steam game in my library. But if small indie devs like the KSP guys and even the inept Project Zomboid dudes can give out Steam keys to their early adopters then I don't see why SOE couldn't do the same.

itsnice2bnice fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 20, 2014

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Yep, the $20 pack gives you immediate access to the closed beta.

But the closed beta for Landmark is more of an alpha, since the game isn't feature complete yet. ATM there's not much to do beyond collecting resources and building with them, but the building is pretty fun and worth it IMO.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Alienware is giving away free beta keys that give 7 days access to Landmark:
http://na.alienwarearena.com/giveaways/landmark-7-day-closed-beta-access-key-giveaway

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

The first iteration of caves will still be part of an update some time prior to E3. It's just that now the only claims that'll be wiped will be the ones who have cave entrances randomly generate on top of them.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

The Landmark newsletter / update stuff I get in my inbox is from info@e-sonyonline.com as well, so the address seems legit to me.

But you can also get a free beta key from: http://eu.alienwarearena.com/giveaways/landmark-closed-beta-key-giveaway

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

The biggest difference is that the old smooth tool didn't delete voxels while smoothing and it was a little more granular. You could basically smooth a single voxel and end up with something like 10 different sizes of micro voxel. With the new one you have something like 4 or 5 sizes of microvoxel before the voxel dissapears entirely.

The thing about having to have a buffer around your selection was because it wouldn't properly smooth the sides of voxels if they were touching the selection box. I know there were a lot of complaints about the changes on the forums, but I like the new smooth tool better and am looking forward to seeing the new improvements they have coming up for it.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

IIRC Georgeson said that the upcoming smooth tool will have two modes. One of the modes is supposed to bring back some of the functionality of the old smooth tool.

Although I don't really know what that means since he also said that it will still remove voxels as you keep smoothing, so maybe it refers to the granularity thing? We'll find out soon enough I guess.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Yeah, they opened it up to the public way too soon IMO. Unless you enjoy building there's nothing to keep you interested. A limited version of caves will be in on Monday I guess, but combat won't be in until July.

So far I've enjoyed building and learning all the convoluted voxel tricks, but I agree that simple things like the basic shape blocks still being deformed are unbelievably dumb. That SOE also deliberately decided not to give players the ability to easily make spheres / circles of any size and that it's only possible now because of a glitch discovered by a player really makes me question their competence.

I was looking forward to the Workshop, but ATM that seems a lot like the Landmarks of Landmark competition in the sense that SOE seems to be just making poo poo up as they go along.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Turning basic props that the game really needs (like a simple castle gate) into a rare item that you only have a chance of getting by watching Twitch for hours is really dumb. I also don't see how getting a gate would convince new people to pick this game up either.

I think that the actual reason behind this is that even during EU primetime there are less people watching Landmark on Twitch than Euro Truck Simulator 2 or APB Reloaded, their Twitch channel is a ghost town like the game itself. Maybe SOE is hoping that by getting more of its existing playerbase watching Twitch that Landmark will become more visible there and attract new blood.

Watching someone build or gather resources is seriously boring though. I tried watching a stream but turned it off with a LOL when the streamer described Landmark as Minecraft on steroids, IMO Landmark is currently more like Minecraft on synthol.

Caves were the biggest update in ages and they're just repetitive prefabricated parts copy pasted together, just like every other MMO with lovely copy pasted dungeons caves.

itsnice2bnice fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 17, 2014

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

There will be new info about EQN at SOE Live next month. They'll probably try to rebuild some hype since they also postponed major updates to Landmark until then. EQN has been in development for some years but they scrapped it all at least once. I doubt much more of EQN exists in a playable state than what you can see in Landmark ATM. What they showed at SOE Live last year just gave the impression it was further along.

I'm sure they have lots of plans and they might have some of the world generated and some models animated, because there's a screenshot of Firiona Vie standing in Lavastorm located in Landmark's files (Lavastorm_Colorkey_Builder.PSD in Resources/Sky). But from comments from Landmark devs it's obvious they haven't started on things like buildings and cities to populate the world.

I don't think H1Z1 is really important to EQN's development, because H1Z1 doesn't use the VoxelFarm engine or Storybricks. According to Steve Klug (head tech dude) the hardest part of Landmark and EQN is actually integrating ForgeLight with the VoxelFarm engine and Storybricks. Both of which aren't being developed by SOE itself and will be responsible for stuff like the generation and destruction of terrain, how fluids function, how voxels are drawn and how all of the fancy AI is supposed to work.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Christopher posted:

For anyone who doesn't have a key yet you can get them over at mmorpg.com right now. About 15k left at the time of this posting.

Yikes, more than a week later there's still 8k left. Hopefully whatever they have to show at SOE Live generates some new interest in Landmark.

Also, Dave Georgeson tweeted earlier that the content patch that'll introduce combat won't happen on the 20th, but will most likely happen on the 27th. I'm pretty curious whether it will be just really barebones PvE stuff or whether it'll also introduce something cool like PvP on claims.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

I wasn't there and haven't watched any of the panels, but on the Landmark Live recap they showed this as one of SOE Live's highlights:

I'd ignore the hype stuff and just log in when there's something to actually check out in Landmark. EQN is a long way off and SOE recently stated that it probably won't be an early access product. Landmark is still the best opportunity to see whether EQN will be worth playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

The ponytailed man on the scooter is one of the lead devs. It was an example of the unique interaction that happens at SOE Live between fans and devs or something like that. I guess they thought it was a funny picture. I agree, but probably for different reasons.

• Locked thread