Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

I can't seem to find this..out of curiosity..what is the grace period for a refund on a founder's pack for alpha?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

I am on the fence for buying the $60 alpha access.

What would you guys say are reasons to buy and not to buy?

Edit:

I have an AMD Athlon II X4 3GHz Processor, GTX 460, 12GB RAM. Anyone with similar specs running this game? I don't mind medium settings, low is fine depending how terrible it looks.

Zaekkor fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 12, 2014

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Well, in regards to having little content..I pulled this from a stream just now:

quote:

12:34 omeeddariani: we'll post out the roadmap today/tomorrow - so that should have a water update.

He is a member of SOE/EQNL team that stopped by to chat in a Twitch stream.

I guess I'll base my buy in on how soon worthwhile features will be showing up.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Finally decided to take the plunge after reading all the cool things coming in alpha/beta stages (assuming they fall inline with phase 1 and 2). Hoping it runs on my PC..I guess if it doesn't I will just get a refund, but I don't want it to come to that.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

I have the minimum requirements, but not the reccommended. In game I turned my settings to medium and my FPS seems to flutter a lot, from 10 up to 40. I've been applying a bunch of different tweaks I'm finding across the web to see if I can get myself into a comfortable level of play. If I can't, however, I may consider just doing the refund and waiting to see if beta and beyond makes it more playable on lower end machines.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Aside from all the random crashing, and the stupid bouncing around bug..I think I got my graphics settings tweaked well enough that game is playable. I get some lag spike stuttering still, but nothing I do changes that.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Arthil posted:

What settings did you use? And what specs do you have?

I have an AMD Phenom II X4 3GHz / GTX 460 / 12 GB RAM.

I did a few different tweaks from various forum posts / guides I found googling poo poo. I'll link to the stuff I used..

https://forums.station.sony.com/eqnlandmark/index.php?threads/fps-tweaks.4231/

http://arc-gaming.com/forum/showthread.php?1344-EverQuest-Next-Landmark-Optimization

Note 1: Don't turn off Voxel Smoothing unless you want the game to look like Minecraft.

Note 2: in second link, disregard the render distance change..I changed it and didn't notice a difference in performance, but what I did see from it is the inability to see anything on the map. So leave that as is.

With these tweaks, I'm able to run the graphics / texture / terrain quality at ultra and an FPS of around 30ish.

My main issue remains to be that I rubberband/bounce around a lot because foliage seems to not load very quickly on my PC which is a GPU bottleneck issue..I wish there was a way to turn foliage off like in other games. That would solve my problem easily.

Edit: In a stroke of genius I decided to check the UserOptions.ini file for a way to turn it off. There is!

Under [Rendering] set
FloraQuality=0

and under [Terrain] set
DrawFlora=Off

Bingo..no more bouncing around!

Edit: Ok, it got rid of a lot of bouncing around..namely in the wooded areas, but I'm still getting some bouncing in the desert. Not entirely sure why.

Zaekkor fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 16, 2014

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Does anyone know why sometimes when I copy and paste something, it glitches out like this:

It's really annoying and making it hard to continue my build. :(

Edit: Logged off and back on and it's fixed. Must just be a visual bug.

Zaekkor fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 18, 2014

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Good to know, thanks guys. :)

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

The copy/pasting is retarded to make work right sometimes, but patience paid off and I am finally feeling like I'm getting somewhere with my build. Here is the basic start. The plan is for a three-tiered building in the middle. Not sure on design yet.

Edit: I am also going to build supports from each tower to the center of each corresponding bridge.

Zaekkor fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

You know I'm so used to minecraft I totally forgot about their being other shapes to toy with. I'll see what I can come up with tomorrow. For now, Landmarked all out.

• Locked thread