Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bUm
Jan 11, 2011

HughGRect posted:

Maybe they will introduce some sort of passive crafting stations where you feed it ore before you log out, and when you log back in you have a bunch of processed materials.

This seems logical in the absence of being able to build/use a wall of refining stations (ovens) like in Minecraft where you can parallel the process well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

CountingWizard posted:

I didn't necessary realize this was using the planetside 2 engine. I literally quit playing planetside 2 because that game ran like poo poo even after I upgraded my CPU. No modern game should be bottlenecked by CPU to give you good graphics.

I'm getting 20-30fps on an ATI HD6970, w/intel i5-3570K OCed to 3.4ghz. I receive similar framerates in Planetside 2. I'm guessing part of it is the use of voxels and having to render so much information, but still.

Really wish there was a better way to tweak graphics settings other than the Planetside 2 tweaks. View distance doesn't improve framerate at all.
Have you played PS2 recently? They did a big performance patch back in November that might've helped. I doubt it's your CPU since I run it flawlessly now (max settings from the .ini file from the PS2 thread) with my almost five year old AMD Phenom II (3.2Ghz quad-core) now whereas I used to have constant hitching (potentially also tied to upgrading from 4GB to 8GB of RAM). I'd guess your more likely culprit is either not having 8GB of RAM or the three year old GPU. I wouldn't count on Landmark optimization for awhile though.

itsnice2bnice posted:

Here's some tips to help enjoy the game as it is for people who haven't played before:
Thanks, got a beta key from a friend so this stuff will come in handy.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Why would they put Landmark up on Steam at all then?
The same reason anything wants to be on Steam? More people to play/spend money. Landmark will get a lot more exposure on Steam, especially as a F2P on live (no reason not to try it if you're bored and searching the Steam store for something to play).

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

dialhforhero posted:

This is essentially Minecraft in the EverQuest Next engine with a veiled attempt to get free art/art direction via crowd-sourcing and an open build world before release.

Moola posted:

What I don't get is, EQN is gonna be a fantasy game right? With fantasy graphics and fantasy castles and poo poo?

So why are people making space ships and stuff when there's no chance they're ever going to be used in the game?

Is anything people are making going to be used in the 'real game'?

I'm very confused. But I am enjoying mining for things!

Moola posted:

Oh, so this is just a closed beta where you get to test the tools they're using to make another game?

Also sometimes if they like something you made it might get used in the other game?

What?
If only there was a thread OP that would take maybe five minutes to read and made these posts totally worthless.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I feel like the whole Steam sale on founder pack thing is really lovely. I understand a MMO is out to make money but on founder's packs? Seriously? I could have saved $66.00 by waiting several months and I would have gotten a better experience out of it.
:shrug:

Most of the price of the packs were for the early access to help test/make the game (of which ~5 months has elapsed), they even offered a full refund if you weren't satisfied within ~week of playing (surprising and generous, all things considered). It's been known all along it'd be F2P at release and you'd be a fool to think $20/60/100 wouldn't get you far more come (closer to) release; same goes for "better experience" since, in theory, it should continue improving through release (or not be good until sometime after release, like most :soe: titles).

If you honestly valued the pretty princess trinkets at $100 and the early access/influence on the final product at nothing, then you should've taken a step back before laying your 10x:10bux: down because I'd argue you clearly didn't think it through.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Cithen posted:

Okay.

Thanks for sharing?
If I ever bothered installing EQ Landmark (was waiting for people to say it got good... never happened), I'd consider it worthwhile knowledge to know it left 15GB of data on my SSD (or even HDD) post-uninstall because uninstalls that don't clean their crap are pretty awful. Leaving behind a couple hundred MBs is one thing, leaving gigs worth of crap is not cool.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

I did the same but paid nothing
Yup. :soe:

Kind of disappointing they managed to ruin it though since Minecraft+ would've been cool; has anything really even been said about EQN since Daybreak took over? Is it still a game theoretically coming sometime?

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Jean Eric Burn posted:

[...] to be fair the bad things about p99 are out of the game's hands, [...] the fact that probably no one under 30 plays it so everyone on there is just a little bit dead on the inside.
To be fair, I'd almost certainly be more dead inside if I was playing pre-Luclin EQ in the year of our lord 2016; maybe there's a bit of a causality problem in play with this statement. :v:

It was great when I played it then--late elementary into junior high school--but drat if I could even pretend to want a game that was so needlessly inconvenient and time consuming about everything these days. Then again, I got the most into WoW I've been since vanilla when WoD dropped and once through the first round of content was quite enough to make me depart in boredom because things felt too trivialized compared to the days of yore, even if they've refined and improved a lot of aspects for the better. MMOs in general seem on the rocks to me: there haven't been any striking paradigm shifts in the genre (most attempts have been, in my opinion, abysmal failures) in a decade and it shows painfully.

bUm fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Feb 11, 2016

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

EQ next cancelled and Wildstar is about to be sunset. What a brutal time for MMOs.
The genre has stagnated a lot over the last decade and competes poorly for fun per time/money invested these days it seems. Not sure what the solution is, but it's been a brutal time for MMOs for awhile.

With how Landmark went down, no surprise EQN won't see the light of day and it's probably for the best: a nostalgia dose does not compensate an unfun game; realistically, it probably makes it that much more disappointing that it doesn't measure up to the good ol' days.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

a real jerk posted:

I spent $20, can I graffiti my name on the failed game?
You can, but it'll disappear after you stop playing because you stop paying plot maintenance cost. :laugh:

jabro posted:

I think the game had been almost the exact same for the last 1 - 1 1/2 years. Is this the first game ever to be launched already in maintenance mode?
Server cost(s... it'll probably only need a single one) cheaper than the amount of money the hundred people playing it will pay? :shrug:

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

BadLlama posted:

When smed got pissed people were calling this poo poo and offered a refund to anyone I took that poo poo immediately :smug:
Never gave them money in the first place because :soe:. :smuggo:

I said come in! posted:

How did you get a refund? Its been so long that my account purchase history doesn't show that I bought this garbage early access.
You had a month to do it. In spring 2014.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Maybe it's a subtle hint it'll be F2P with some other monetization? Anyone actually do it and get a receipt for $0?

DeathSandwich posted:

Say what you will about the rest of EQ1's open, flat, boxy overworld maps. That game had some fuckin' dungeon crawls like whoa. Places like Najena, Sol A/B, Upper/Lower guk, Karnor's Castle, Kurn's Tower, Crystal Caverns, and Dragon Necropolis among others really gave the sense of sprawl and atmosphere that you don't really get from instanced EQ2/WoW/Ect's 'strict linear dungeons with 3 bosses that can be hammered out in 30 minutes'.

Hell, my favorite WoW dungeon back in the day was Blackrock Depths specifically because it was a very Everquest-1-like crawl through a sprawling non-linear metropolis with something like 2 dozen unique bosses depending on which paths you took through the place. Everyone else hated it because a full clear could take upwards of 2-3 hours for appropriately geared people, but I loving loved it because it was such an experience.
Feel like a notable piece of this difference was that WoW had it instanced while EQ didn't and the expectation in EQ wasn't for a single group (non-raid) to clear the whole entire thing. It also didn't help that WoW didn't have in-game maps for dungeons back then (but did for the world itself so there was no prominent EQAtlas analog) and finding non-poo poo guides could be a challenge so it was a pain if you didn't have someone who'd done it a bunch and knew the lay of the land.

Definitely agreed that a lot of WoW content outside of proper raids didn't/doesn't feel particularly epic in scale like plenty of stuff in EQ did, even if they did a good job to make things feel more epic with visuals/design. Kind of disappointing that even with nice features like LFG that ports you straight into the dungeons, the dungeons have tended to get more bite-sized since vanilla (BRD, Maraudon, Dire Maul) rather than using that streamlining as incentive to beef 'em up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

JuffoWup posted:

tldr: daybreak is taking over both DDO and LOTRO from turbine.
Russian efforts to undermine American fun and relaxation are simply not up to the high bar set by their interfering with democracy efforts.

They came for our MMOs and we did nothing because MMOs are a stagnant genre many gamers don't care about anymore.

• Locked thread