Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Porkchop Express posted:

I got this on the steam sale and have had fun doing minecrafty things, but I have yet to find a single drat cave!

Since no one has said it and a quick look on the forums answered it, caves are fairly easy to find. Look on your map and select "show claimable land". From there, the perfect squares with a permissions flag in the middle are claims. Those little round and kind of rectangular blobs on the map? Those are the cave entrances. Get to it. It should be noted that some caves don't have entrances and are basically called pocket caves. I assume a pulverizer is the preferred method at getting to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
New patch arrived. No surprise really, but they did add a new feature. Guilds.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Sancho posted:

Nice might log in and check it out. Did they ever fix the join/leave messages in chat channels? Would have thought that would be patch 2 but whatever.

I don't know. I only started playing last week. Still working on getting the basics.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

ModeSix posted:

It's actually true, a lot of musicians/bands don't actually have broadcast rights to their own music as they are owned by the record label.

Except jeremy soule owns his own label, sooo...

It is mostly twitch's new rights management thing buggering up. I recall that on the day it was implemented, some of twitch's own videos and ads were muted on their site because it used copyrighted music.

Has anyone told soe that their archives don't work because of the new rights management? I'm curious if this implementation will cause many companies that use them to jump to another service that offers similar features without their archives getting hit.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hu Fa Ted posted:

I really regret buying the founders pack. I regret even more not asking for a refund when it became clear that things like constant server wipes and upkeep were both in effect. Add to that the weirdo bugs for actually building things, lovely perfomance and the only thing the game was a bad survival mode knock off of minecraft it's not hard to see why we abandoned it so quickly.

not even survival mode. Can monsters even invade your land area? If they were planning a survival/creative game, then combat and monsters should have been in sooner than some tools to improve on the basics. If they wanted creative first and then go towards survival, then it should of had unlimited materials for everyone to just go crazy making things. Also, why is there land rent? Who is collecting it? Why in a beta game where they want our creative juices flowing to make awesome things for eqnext do we also have a land charge to make things?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

bUm posted:

To be fair, I'd almost certainly be more dead inside if I was playing pre-Luclin EQ in the year of our lord 2016; maybe there's a bit of a causality problem in play with this statement. :v:

It was great when I played it then--late elementary into junior high school--but drat if I could even pretend to want a game that was so needlessly inconvenient and time consuming about everything these days. Then again, I got the most into WoW I've been since vanilla when WoD dropped and once through the first round of content was quite enough to make me depart in boredom because things felt too trivialized compared to the days of yore, even if they've refined and improved a lot of aspects for the better. MMOs in general seem on the rocks to me: there haven't been any striking paradigm shifts in the genre (most attempts have been, in my opinion, abysmal failures) in a decade and it shows painfully.

Yeah, I think I connected most with beastmasters from luclin the most in terms of a style I enjoyed. But that may also be because it was a class straight up built better for soloing than the others.

As for paradigm shift, there has been some in the fact the mmos are getting more action based instead of the 20 skill hotbar autoattacks of WoW/etc. Blade and Soul being a recent one. Black Desert Online for another. I suppose Guild Wars 2 is as well to some extent. Surprisingly for me, I'm surprised there isn't more comic book mmos out there. CoX got nailed to the wall when Aion floundered. DCUO is.. ok, but fairly bland with combat feeling a little mushy. Champs Online is pretty terrible with an even more limiting areas to explore (DCUO has this problem too). Careful where you wander or you might encounter mobs several levels to 2x your level ready to one shot you.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Huh, surprise surprise I guess. I went to look and no email about on my end. Not even in the spam folder, so who knows. I don't know if I care either.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
What the hell is the point of this game now? It used to be to just build your own little home type thing. Now I'm doing the starting tutorial and it sounds like the game is more of a "build your own dungeons because we can't be rear end-ed to do it ourselves." Also, the controls are hilariously inconsistent. You get mouselook (but not first person view!) with your weapon equipped. You no longer have mouselook and intsead have to hold right click perpetually to steer when any other tool is equipped or bare handed.

The whole thing is hilarious I guess because ark:survival evolved kind of described what I had hoped landmark to be for some reason. Build a home against the wild, get new and more powerful stuff as you unlock the ability to get more rarer materials.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Building a sandcastle is fine to me. I'm more wondering about the monster stuff. I'm guessing that there are still dungeons anyway.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Umm, am I the only one that kind of misses the deeper level of those games though? I mean, there is eve online, but I'm more thinking something like asheron's call was. That is still around of course, but an improved version would be nice. I remember when I first played eq (after getting kind of tired/burnt out on ac) and being blown away that you could (relatively speaking) talk ot npcs in a mmo. As in keyboard chat. Not just right click the guy with an exclamation point, get quest, and go.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I miss the direlands of asheron's call 1. Going out there meant death was most likely inevitable. And getting your corpse back was going to be even more effort. That was also the days still where you left your gear behind on death.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
While we are on derail and just laughing at daybreak in general, here is some more fun news.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?649784-Standing-Stone-Games-A-message-from-Rob-Ciccolini&p=7676699#post7676699

tldr: daybreak is taking over both DDO and LOTRO from turbine. What that leaves for turbine, I have no idea.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

jabro posted:

Daybreak is just publishing the games. The LOTRO and DDO teams are splintering from Turbine into an indie studio. I wouldn't be surprised to see WB close Turbine in a few weeks/months.

Yeah, I saw in the DDO thread them linking that turbine has also announced that AC1 and 2 will have their servers shut down at the end of january. So RIP Turbine and RIP Dereth. I miss the old days of exploring the direlands actually in fear of my life while dodging each of the spawn circles.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

MisterZimbu posted:

Weren't they going to open source the AC1 server software or something like that or was I just imagining that?

Also AC2's servers were still up? Why? Was anyone ever actually connected to them? Did they just seal off the room accidentally and forgot the servers existed?

1) They had said to open source ac1 server software, but that apparently never happened and probably never will.

2) AC2 was resurrected a year or so ago. The intent was to offer it up again, but was still in a beta phase as they were trying to reverse engineer how Microsoft's chat server (that kept crashing mind you) worked.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

quote:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING LANDMARK
On Tues‌day, Febr‌uary ‌21, 20‌17 at 4:0‌0PM PS‌T Landmark game servers will close.

Starting immediately, Landmark will no longer be available for purchase. All items in the Markeplace with a Daybreak Cash price will have their price reduced to 1DBC.

Additionally, Player Studio items will no longer be available for listing or purchase in the Landmark Marketplace.

For additional information regarding this announcement, please see the Landmark website.

Daybreak Game Company LLC
https://www.daybreakgames.com

Not that we didn't see this coming..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Arcland posted:

Can't wait until the day comes when a company tries to market themselves as having veteran John Smedley.

It'll be a crowd funded game. And he'll talk about wanting to make the very best sandbox fantasy mmo ever. And since it is crowd funded, he won't have to listen to publishers. It'll be amazing. If he raises enough, he'll stop promising a date and you pray it comes out 10 years after the start of the crowd funding.

Edit: Oh yeah, first he needs to make some horrible everquest movie that is a complete failure. It'll help give him some street cred when it comes to the crowd funding drive.

• Locked thread